Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

this thing is shit its made for ignorant people who just want a imac and dont care they are spending way more than they are getting. people say that imac looks good but honestly you can get a much better looking desktop for less money with led lighting. people say it is thin and light but remind me why desktops need to be thin and light again and a mini itx case would be smaller and lighter. 

Dualcore i5???? so an i3???

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Many shops these days use iMacs as dedicated POS machines, this would be perfect for that use. As for consumers, most would be better off with a Mac Mini or MacBook Air if they want a Mac.

I think you'll find this to be a rare situation.  Apple's total market sales for pc is somewhere under 6.3%  (as at 2013).

The thing I can't resolve is that In Melbourne there is an apple repair shop on every second corner.  Now the cost of maintaining a shop corner in Melbourne is huge, I have seen high profile coffee shops go out of business in these locations.  However there seems to be enough broken macs out their to keep all these shops in business.   If macs are so well built and don't crash or get viruses then why do these shops have enough customers to survive?

Before you respond they do not sell products, they are not authorized dealers, they do not make money from dodgy repairs (telling people they need regular servicing). all they do is wait for customers of the street (or return customers).

Do these places do phone screen repair? I'm sure you can make a fortune on fixing I devices screens, they are so popular and easy to break the screens on it you could definitely run a shop that only does that and there are shops that do this and seem to be trucking along fine 

I get th fact that Apple cares about the way that their product is presented and about how it simply feels. I get that, plus iMacs seem like fine machines for your average office worker or even creative professional actually, yet that price ruins it all; they don't need to be that greedy, do they?

I think you should just get the 13" Macbook Air. It gives you that extra mobility and speed at a $100 more. Granted, not everyone wants a laptop but considering this iMac has the same specs and components as one, you might as well go with the form factor that it was built for. That being said, it's still a nice addition to the iMac family and it's another option for those that want to invest in the Apple ecosystem.

Just build your own PC for that much

Just build your own PC for that much

Why does everyone say this when people talk about iMacs? The same people buying an iMac are not the same people who want to build their own computer. They want to buy a computer that works out of the box and looks sleek and sexy. The iMac is extremely thin, comes with a display (One of the best if you upgrade to the 27in) and typically used with wireless keyboard and mouse making it very clean and professional looking with just one wire and a screen. No tower, no work. 

Do these places do phone screen repair? I'm sure you can make a fortune on fixing I devices screens, they are so popular and easy to break the screens on it you could definitely run a shop that only does that and there are shops that do this and seem to be trucking along fine 

No just mac and macbook, they don't do phones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hmm is good thing they decide to do this, i belive.. cool and Is nice, obviously is mac.. but as always.. are x10 overpriced in my opinion.

Uh-oh better not tell my wife! She'd love this

• 2 weeks later...

Macs are extremely well built, come with an AMAZING warranty, and one of the best customer service departments i've ever had to deal with. Most apple products are priced very well for what you get. That's a fact. 

They may be well built and have a good service department  but that is a not a good price. Also like it says the imac looks like a laptop in terms of the specs

They may be well built and have a good service department  but that is a not a good price. Also like it says the imac looks like a laptop in terms of the specs

Sure, but it'll most likely last longer than an average laptop and have a higher resale value down the road. 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

http://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/75030/Intel-Core-i5-4260U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

nearly half of the price is the CPU, add like 350 $ for the monitor (you know the resolutions of apple's screens). Now we've ~665 $, add 75 $ for ram, 40 $ for hdd, 60 $ for mb, 100 $ for case and ~50 $ for extra shizzels = ~1000 $, isn't overpriced at all

• Maybe you wanted to say: IMO that component configuration isn't fair

Or, you know, get a low voltage i3 at a third that price.

Sheesh, pay more for less... I get that it's 15W, but still.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Sure, but it'll most likely last longer than an average laptop and have a higher resale value down the road. 

How do you know an Imac will last longer than a windows laptop and have a higher resale value?

How do you know an Imac will last longer than a windows laptop and have a higher resale value?

The Apple logo never goes down in value, only up.

That's how they can be sure it will have a higher resale value.

I've owned Macs and Windows based laptops for years. Every time my Macs have out lasted the Windows laptop or have sold for much more than a more powerful Windows laptop.

I still have a 2008 Aluminum MacBook (launch model) that is still running almost like new, and during those six years I have owned three Windows laptops (Asus, Lenovo, and HP) at the same time. The Lenovo and HP both died just weeks after their warranties ended. The Asus I owned was a G53SW that I sold at the end of last year. The most I was able to get for that laptop was $260, and now I'm planning on selling my MacBook. Friends have offered me $320 for it but after listing in locally I have offers in $400s. 

Macs just have higher resale value. Also an iMac isn't mobile like a laptop and is less prone to getting damaged. 

edit:

The Apple logo never goes down in value, only up.

That's how they can be sure it will have a higher resale value.

pretty much this

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

what i like about apple products is simplicity and uniqueness despite the expensive values every product is meant to be guaranteed and to work perfectly as it's meant to work!

the OS is shielded with a brilliant antivirus programming!

what i like about apple products is simplicity and uniqueness despite the expensive values every product is meant to be guaranteed and to work perfectly as it's meant to work!

the OS is shielded with a brilliant antivirus programming!

Actually, they have NO antivirus programming, and any exploit that is vulnerable in one Apple computer has a tendency to affect all of them.

The main reason there haven't been many instances of malware / viruses is simply because the market share for Apple is so small, it's not worth a programmer's time to bother.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Jesus Christ, apparently only a few people on this forum know what MOBILE means. You wanna carry a desktop around with you everywhere? Go right ahead.

Actually, they have NO antivirus programming, and any exploit that is vulnerable in one Apple computer has a tendency to affect all of them.

The main reason there haven't been many instances of malware / viruses is simply because the market share for Apple is so small, it's not worth a programmer's time to bother.

that's why the minority uses it :)

I've owned Macs and Windows based laptops for years. Every time my Macs have out lasted the Windows laptop or have sold for much more than a more powerful Windows laptop.

I still have a 2008 Aluminum MacBook (launch model) that is still running almost like new, and during those six years I have owned three Windows laptops (Asus, Lenovo, and HP) at the same time. The Lenovo and HP both died just weeks after their warranties ended. The Asus I owned was a G53SW that I sold at the end of last year. The most I was able to get for that laptop was $260, and now I'm planning on selling my MacBook. Friends have offered me $320 for it but after listing in locally I have offers in $400s. 

Macs just have higher resale value. Also an iMac isn't mobile like a laptop and is less prone to getting damaged. 

edit:

pretty much this

those math don't work out.  You buy a $2000 laptop and sell it for $500 = it costs you $1500,  you buy an $1300 and sell it for $260 and so it cost you $1040, yet you claim the mac was better because it sold for more when in reality it costs you more.

EDIT: you didn't specify which model so I looked at the specs of 2008 macbooks selling for $400 and checked their release price.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And yet it is just as overpriced as the older Mac. Good job, Apple. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Macs are extremely well built, come with an AMAZING warranty, and one of the best customer service departments i've ever had to deal with. Most apple products are priced very well for what you get. That's a fact. 

Their one-year limited warranty is actually pretty terrible.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I just want to know, if they are as amazingly well built and stable as people keep telling us, how do so many people know what their customer service departments are like and why they have had to deal with them?