Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

This thread is so funny. Reminded me about dood o'l 

This thing for me is the same as those gold/diamond or whatever luxury editions of phones. Just a shiny bling-bling to show off.

those math don't work out.  You buy a $2000 laptop and sell it for $500 = it costs you $1500,  you buy an $1300 and sell it for $260 and so it cost you $1040, yet you claim the mac was better because it sold for more when in reality it costs you more.

EDIT: you didn't specify which model so I looked at the specs of 2008 macbooks selling for $400 and checked their release price.

The MacBook is the base model (2.0GHz C2D, 9400m, 2GB DDR3, 160GB HDD) of the 13" aluminum models, which after student discounts was $1150 (instead of $1300). Right now in terms of selling it my last offer was $460 with a second offrer of $440 if the higher bidder doesn't reply. $1150-460=690

The Asus G53SW (2011) was the mid range model (i5 2410M, GTX 460m, 1366x768, 16GB DDR3, 1TB HDD) which was about $1100 after some small upgrades. Stock it has 4GB of ram and a 750Gb hard drive. $1100-260=840

The MacBook comes out on top when it comes to resale value despite being much older and lower specced. 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

The Apple logo never goes down in value, only up.

That's how they can be sure it will have a higher resale value.

What is your logic behind this?

The MacBook is the base model (2.0GHz C2D, 9400m, 2GB DDR3, 160GB HDD) of the 13" aluminum models, which after student discounts was $1150 (instead of $1300). Right now in terms of selling it my last offer was $460 with a second offrer of $440 if the higher bidder doesn't reply. $1150-460=690

The Asus G53SW (2011) was the mid range model (i5 2410M, GTX 460m, 1366x768, 16GB DDR3, 1TB HDD) which was about $1100 after some small upgrades. Stock it has 4GB of ram and a 750Gb hard drive. $1100-260=840

The MacBook comes out on top when it comes to resale value despite being much older and lower specced. 

So what you just said is the Asus is better but the mac has a better resale value? Idk about you but when i bought my computer i bought it to use it not to resell it

Interesting, because the base model mac in 2008 was $1499 with only 1G ram and intel x3100 graphics.

https://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2008/02/26Apple-Introduces-New-MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Models.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting, because the base model mac in 2008 was $1499 with only 1G ram and intel x3100 graphics.

https://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2008/02/26Apple-Introduces-New-MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Models.html

I clearly stated it was the ALUMINUM base model, not the plastic one. The Aluminum models were $1300 at launch, plus you're linking the Australian site when I'm in the US. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

So what you just said is the Asus is better but the mac has a better resale value? Idk about you but when i bought my computer i bought it to use it not to resell it

I never said I bought my laptops to resell them. I use them and then when I'm done with them or when I want to get a newer model I sell them. I'm not going to have a pile of old computers sitting in a closet for years when I no longer have a use for them. 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

I clearly stated it was the ALUMINUM base model, not the plastic one. The Aluminum models were $1300 at launch, plus you're linking the Australian site when I'm in the US. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

I never said I bought my laptops to resell them. I use them and then when I'm done with them or when I want to get a newer model I sell them. I'm not going to have a pile of old computers sitting in a closet for years when I no longer have a use for them. 

Um, base model in aluminum is even more expensive, and I allowed for currency conversion by upping the price you said you were offered to $500. I did not do it for your other laptop thus giving it the advantage.

https://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-Family-with-New-Models-Innovative-Built-in-Battery-for-Up-to-40-Percent-Longer-Battery-Life.html

how did you get the aluminum one so cheap?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Um, base model in aluminum is even more expensive, and I allowed for currency conversion by upping the price you said you were offered to $500. I did not do it for your other laptop thus giving it the advantage.

https://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-Family-with-New-Models-Innovative-Built-in-Battery-for-Up-to-40-Percent-Longer-Battery-Life.html

how did you get the aluminum one so cheap?

You're looking at the wrong model. You're looking at the 2009 refresh, which had a lower price than the launch model by $100 

Here is the same page you're linking to form the US website https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-Family-with-New-Models-Innovative-Built-in-Battery-for-Up-to-40-Percent-Longer-Battery-Life.html Look at the what the 2009 base model Aluminum model is priced at.. $1,199

They weren't as expensive as you seem to be thinking they were. Here is the 2008 press release of when the Aluminum Unibody MacBooks were launched, https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/10/14New-MacBook-Family-Redefines-Notebook-Design.html 

They were $1300 at launch in the US. 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

You're looking at the wrong model. You're looking at the 2009 refresh, which had a lower price than the launch model by $100 

Here is the same page you're linking to form the US website https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-Family-with-New-Models-Innovative-Built-in-Battery-for-Up-to-40-Percent-Longer-Battery-Life.html Look at the what the based model 2009 Aluminum model is priced at.. $1,199

They weren't as expensive as you seem to be thinking they were. Here is the 2008 press release of when the Aluminum Unibody MacBooks were launched, https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/10/14New-MacBook-Family-Redefines-Notebook-Design.html 

They were $1300 at launch in the US. 

I knew you guys got good prices and we got baddly ripped of but I didn't know it was that bad, we got charged $800 more for the same shit,  currency conversion at that time was 85c in the dollar so it should have been $220 more at best.

I knew you guys got good prices and we got baddly ripped of but I didn't know it was that bad, we got charged $800 more for the same shit,  currency conversion at that time was 85c in the dollar so it should have been $220 more at best.

I never truly understood the insane pricing of stuff in Australia.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

They may be well built and have a good service department  but that is a not a good price. Also like it says the imac looks like a laptop in terms of the specs

Nice necro :P

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Correct me if im wrong but don't all imacs have laptop parts in it hence why they can fit it in such a slim package like any other AIO Pc :S

Correct me if im wrong but don't all imacs have laptop parts in it hence why they can fit it in such a slim package like any other AIO Pc :S

Yes, in fact to get the imac rolling faster apple managed to get the z68 chipset from intel before intel actually released it. The reason being the z68 supports hybrid ssd technology, something that is important if you want laptop hardware to perform like a desktop.

What is your logic behind this?

Here is my train of thought:

1) Laptops pretty much always drop very rapidly in second hand value.

2) Things with the Apple logo on it doesn't drop in price nearly as quickly as similar products.

3) The Apple logo is what keeps the price from dropping.

If someone made the exact same laptop as Apple but called it the Orange Cam Pro it would drop faster in price than the Apple one even if they were exactly the same in every single regard except the logo.

People are willing to pay extra for what they see as a premium brand. That's why I think Macs has better resell value than similarly specced products.

Yes you are correct, they all use one or more laptop parts. There are a lot of AIOs with proper desktop components in them though.

For one this product is not for us, just get that through your heads everybody screaming that it's too expensive for what it offers

This is a perfect computer for people like my mom and dad. It has all the necessary things like webcam, microphone, speakers all in one package

It doesn't take much space and is beautiful to look at and you won't have clutters of wires around which is always the case for our gaming/performance computers

Moreover its apple and it has its value. You'll get a lot of resale value and it will last longer than most 'consumer windows PCs'

There's good software support and features like continuity and handoff coming this fall for free its a great buy. They won't run into pesky typical windows problems and you'll have a good solid machine

All this makes it a great value IMO for people like our parents and stuff who just want functionality of browsing the web looking for recipes and stuff

I just want to know, if they are as amazingly well built and stable as people keep telling us, how do so many people know what their customer service departments are like and why they have had to deal with them?

My parents had a 4 year iBook, well outside of any warranty they had. They took it to the Apple store to see if they could do anything about some cracks on the top of the laptop.

They came back in an hour and they had replaced the entire top including the display for free.

Ive never needed any of my apple stuff repaired or sent back so there is no experience for me to give.

If were talking about comparing it to other customer service, my xbox 360 elite died outside of its warranty and it was replaced by free from microsoft because it was a recognised fault and that was an easy fix. All online and just get it picked up by UPS, wait 2 weeks and a new one arrived. Seemed like a good service.

For one this product is not for us, just get that through your heads everybody screaming that it's too expensive for what it offers

This is a perfect computer for people like my mom and dad. It has all the necessary things like webcam, microphone, speakers all in one package

It doesn't take much space and is beautiful to look at and you won't have clutters of wires around which is always the case for our gaming/performance computers

Moreover its apple and it has its value. You'll get a lot of resale value and it will last longer than most 'consumer windows PCs'

There's good software support and features like continuity and handoff coming this fall for free its a great buy. They won't run into pesky typical windows problems and you'll have a good solid machine

All this makes it a great value IMO for people like our parents and stuff who just want functionality of browsing the web looking for recipes and stuff

Um, if you just want the functionality of a web browsing and recipes then this is absolutely 100% overkill,  a $300 netbook/laptop will suffice for that. Also I am not too sure how you use your computers but osx has just as many "pesky problems" as windows.

Sure, but it'll most likely last longer than an average laptop and have a higher resale value down the road.

while will it last longer is what i don't get

I clearly stated it was the ALUMINUM base model, not the plastic one. The Aluminum models were $1300 at launch, plus you're linking the Australian site when I'm in the US. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

Obviously not what is was saying is I'd rather buy a computer based on the fact that its better not because it has a better resale value which is your argument for a mac or imac being better than a windows computer

Here is my train of thought:

1) Laptops pretty much always drop very rapidly in second hand value.

2) Things with the Apple logo on it doesn't drop in price nearly as quickly as similar products.

3) The Apple logo is what keeps the price from dropping.

If someone made the exact same laptop as Apple but called it the Orange Cam Pro it would drop faster in price than the Apple one even if they were exactly the same in every single regard except the logo.

People are willing to pay extra for what they see as a premium brand. That's why I think Macs has better resell value than similarly specced products.

ya you're right i thought your just fanboying apple saying "apple is the best so they will never die"

Um, if you just want the functionality of a web browsing and recipes then this is absolutely 100% overkill,  a $300 netbook/laptop will suffice for that. Also I am not too sure how you use your computers but osx has just as many "pesky problems" as windows.

Umm web browsing and stuff will be 90% of the use. When I occasionally visit them I might fire up imovie to make captured video clips into trailers and stuff. I might do some or teach how to touch up photos. All these thigs are much easier with a mac.

Mac is very stable. There's still the bug of ram usage in windows 8.1 while playing games, I occasionally run into some explorer.exe errors while shutdown which no one could solve (posted on LTT before), has virus problems, gets cluttered and gets filled with malware over time especially if you're not careful. I've ben using a MacBook for 4 years and an hackintosh for a year and I'm loving it

Umm web browsing and stuff will be 90% of the use. When I occasionally visit them I might fire up imovie to make captured video clips into trailers and stuff. I might do some or teach how to touch up photos. All these thigs are much easier with a mac.

Even then those things does not sound like heavy stuff. I have "touched up photos" on my old and crappy HP laptop which has 4GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. I have stitched together movie clips and added some effects in Premier on that laptop as well.

Mac is very stable. There's still the bug of ram usage in windows 8.1 while playing games, I occasionally run into some explorer.exe errors while shutdown which no one could solve (posted on LTT before), has virus problems, gets cluttered and gets filled with malware over time especially if you're not careful. I've ben using a MacBook for 4 years and an hackintosh for a year and I'm loving it

What "RAM usage bug" are you referring to? I have not heard about it before and granted, I don't use Windows 8, but if there was some widespread issue like you are saying then I think I'd know about it.

Viruses is in 99.9% of the cases the users fault. Here is what I do to avoid viruses: I am not careless.

I run MSE in the background all the time and I do a scan whenever it tells me to. I use AdBlock to avoid tracking cookies and such garbage. I don't download and run "SuperHotGirlNextDoorVideo.exe". If I absolutely have to run something strange I do it in a VM (for example some shareware I am interested in but it seems a bit fishy) before I do it on my real computer.

Just follow these 3/4 simple rules and you shouldn't have any issues with viruses.

I think that means you don't know how to use Windows

and what in the actual hell is going on in this thread

Error: 410

I think you should learn about hardware requirements and how to use windows.  While there are reasons that make mac a better choice, none of the reasons you listed are. 

It's a mobile cpu lol. Apple can't even have desktop grade cpus in a 1100$ computer with external power supply.

They did before, but people insist on making products thinner, even if it it doesn't make any difference and just makes the product more expensive...

Expensive as fuck honestly, you can build a PC for half the price with better specs and turn it into a hackintosh easy. LOL

Thats really not the point, at all

Then tell me, why does it cost 200$ to pass from a 2.9ghz i5 to a 3.1ghz i7 in the higher end 21.5 inch imac? Because they rip you off. that's a fact. another fact is that I could build a pc with the same specs as this """"cheap"""" imac for 300$. + 200$ for a vry good monitor. still less than half the price. There might be a couple of exceptions, but they are most definitely not the rule.

Please show me a 300 dollar build that compares to this. And PLEASE show me a 200 dollar monitor that will compare to the ips display on this

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

They did before, but people insist on making products thinner, even if it it doesn't make any difference and just makes the product more expensive...

Thats really not the point, at all

Please show me a 300 dollar build that compares to this. And PLEASE show me a 200 dollar monitor that will compare to the ips display on this

Before you think i'm an apple hater check out my topic:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177855-lets-grow-up-discussion-apple-general-fanboyism-not-answered-by-the-way/

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H236HL-bid-23-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00AZMLIDQ 

The thing is that this is just overpriced, if you look at other AIO's that cost $1100, there are much better options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883266515

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883280515

Interested in Business and Technology

Even then those things does not sound like heavy stuff. I have "touched up photos" on my old and crappy HP laptop which has 4GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. I have stitched together movie clips and added some effects in Premier on that laptop as well.

What "RAM usage bug" are you referring to? I have not heard about it before and granted, I don't use Windows 8, but if there was some widespread issue like you are saying then I think I'd know about it.

Viruses is in 99.9% of the cases the users fault. Here is what I do to avoid viruses: I am not careless.

I run MSE in the background all the time and I do a scan whenever it tells me to. I use AdBlock to avoid tracking cookies and such garbage. I don't download and run "SuperHotGirlNextDoorVideo.exe". If I absolutely have to run something strange I do it in a VM (for example some shareware I am interested in but it seems a bit fishy) before I do it on my real computer.

Just follow these 3/4 simple rules and you shouldn't have any issues with viruses.

I didn't say they were heavier stuff. I've tried loads of windows programs for my short movie editing and I didn't have the patience for studying it. We movie maker was the easiest one but soon I wanted something more powerful. I tried the torrents of premier, pinnacle studio, cyber links, Vegas and all of them were either too complicated or didn't have as much as templates or effects as I wanted. So that's when I checked out I movie and God it was miles better than any windows a alternative. It was so easy to learn and it had so many options. I recently tried final cut pro and it was as easy as imovie but with more options

Just Google that ram problem. It only exists on Windows 8.1,you'll see a lot of people with the same problem. As for the other error, just check my profile for detailed info (I'm on mobile and Ltd isn't that great on mobile). I'm careful with what I install not computer nooks, so yeah