Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

Too much ignorant pc fanboys in this thread. I hope they don't own any corsair, razer, etc products. Atleast the non budget ones, because that wouldn't be hypocritical at all.

why use a low voltage chip those are pricy they could have gone with a  higher clocked non low voltage chip  for the same price , no ?

Heat.

Seems pretty laptopish to me... What do you guys think?

because it is

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

21.5" 1440p screen and all-aluminum chassis to hold all that stuff and $1100 is way too much to ask? Form factor has a price, just like a Lian Li desk chassis or a laptop.

If you had spent 5 seconds looking up the specs you would have known that the screen was 1080p. The rest of the specs are bad as well.

Even if you want an AIO (which I think is the most stupid for factor ever) it's still terrible value because Apple has a model that's 200 dollars more, and far far better spec wise.

If you had spent 5 seconds looking up the specs you would have known that the screen was 1080p. The rest of the specs are bad as well.

Even if you want an AIO (which I think is the most stupid for factor ever) it's still terrible value because Apple has a model that's 200 dollars more, and far far better spec wise.

this, I love the idea of a budget imac (and mac mini for that case) but going for such a low end processor is insane

I hope if they keep these models going they can at least make them half decent or make them a further $200 cheaper or something

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I didn't say it was a good deal. I said you pay a price for form factor. Obviously there is a sweet spot in the lineup. Also, I could have sworn Apple announced they'd no longer sell 1080p or lower as of August 2014 except for the MBA.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I wouldn't accept that trash even if it were free.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

21.5" 1440p screen and all-aluminum chassis to hold all that stuff and $1100 is way too much to ask? Form factor has a price, just like a Lian Li desk chassis or a laptop.

It's 1080p. Get your facts straight before you jump in.

I don't know >or care< how hard it is for them to make the aluminium housing (I honestly doubt it's so hard that they need to price it 500$ more than it's actually worth). You're still getting terrible, terrible value out of this product.

Also, THIS IS NOT A LAPTOP. This will sit on your desk and rarely ever move, in a position where 99.999% of the times you'd be perfectly able to fit an matx case comfortably without it bothering you in any way. Besides there are laptops with WAY, WAAAAY better performance than this for the same price.

If you buy a corsair obsidian 900d for a pentium 3220 build you're wasting your money, you should spend the 900d money on an i7 or just keep it for another build. Same reasonment applies with this, building an extremely underpowered machine at a sickeningly high price for the sake of looks is nothing more than a tech noob bait.

This product is literally good for nobody, even compared to the other imacs this is utter garbage. Anyone should be able to see that. This thread however clearly shows how some people will go out of their way to defend a product (often without being actually informed about it as in your case) simply because it has an apple logo and because you automatically assume people are dissing it because "it's cool to hate apple".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

or make them a further $200 cheaper or something

To make this ok value it should be 400$ cheaper ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To make this ok value it should be 400$ cheaper ^^

400% cheaper is a bit far :D

they could also just not put a shit CPU inside

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

400% cheaper is a bit far :D

they could also just not put a shit CPU inside

Well, when you can make a super small form factor i7 4790 build, slap in a good monitor and still spare 460$ I'd go as far as saying lowering the price of 400 bucks might still be too expensive ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus H81T/CSM Thin Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($65.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $641.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 06:26 EST-0500

Granted you give up expandibility, but for not much more money and a little more space you can get a miniITX motherboard with a pcie slot. That's the beauty of custom pcs, isn't it ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SNIP

Not a small all in one, so not comparable IMO

Dont forget it includes OSX, (you need to include windows cost) you  also get a pages numbers keynote, iphoto, imovie and garage band, which in my opinion ARE worth it, and something you would have to pay for

so at least include office 365 etc

I know I am being pedantic, and I agree the cheap iMac is a bit shit (ok very shit) but its still an iMac, just wish it had a decent CPU or was a little cheaper to make it worth it for the average family PC (home work, family photos, browsing)

Not a small all in one, so not comparable IMO

check out the case, it's very small and can easily fit under the monitor without bothering anyone :) or sideways behind your monitor, the space occupied should be about the same at the end of the day. Not saying making an all-in-one is as cheap, but remember we are the customers, we shouldn't care how much the manufacturer spends on the product cut rather how much value it offers compared to alternatives. They should sort their own production costs out, wouldn't you say?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

check out the case, it's very small and can easily fit under the monitor without bothering anyone :) or sideways behind your monitor, the space occupied should be about the same at the end of the day. Not saying making an all-in-one is as cheap, but remember we are the customers, we shouldn't care how much the manufacturer spends on the product cut rather how much value it offers compared to alternatives. They should sort their own production costs out, wouldn't you say?

Its not about costs, its about aesthetics and ease of use, something that you can put a price on in my opinion

The iMac comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, webcam and microphone, decent amounts of software, and all connects via one cable into the wall, its also (subjectively) beautiful and elegant

Seems pretty laptopish to me... What do you guys think?

But it does have pretty good Gaming Desktopish price :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

AIO (which I think is the most stupid form factor ever)

Maybe for you. Regular consumers (read: people who buy iMacs) want a literal 'all in one', no fuss package. Mouse, keyboard, computer, hardly any cables. They have no interest in hardware upgrades, gaming, anything beyond word processing and Facebook. All the iMac's in households I've seen in my life (quite a lot), are sat on a desk near the kitchen and gets used by the mother and kids of the family. They don't care about spec:price, it just needs to get the job done. $1200 for a computer that lasts them 5 years? Get real, that's only $240 a year for a more than adequate computer, $20 a month. Nothing really.

Get over yourself. This forum is really only populated with the /entitled generation/. A product doesn't fit my specific needs and I can't afford it? It's shit.

Get over yourself. This forum is really only populated with the /entitled generation/. A product doesn't fit my specific needs and I can't afford it? It's shit.

Agreed

People tend to forget here that a PC can be other thing than a hobby or gaming tool.

The iMac comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, webcam and microphone, decent amounts of software, and all connects via one cable into the wall, its also (subjectively) beautiful and elegant

'course you could go with a pentium, which would be in the imac's cpu league, and buy all that stuff while still paying much less... but hey, if aesthetics are worth paying more for in your opinion, I can't really objectively counter that argument.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

'course you could go with a pentium, which would be in the imac's cpu league, and buy all that stuff while still paying much less... but hey, if aesthetics are worth paying more for in your opinion, I can't really objectively counter that argument.

not just aesthetics

the CPU they use is not that bad, its the one from the macbook air, for the usage somebody buying a cheap iMac would want its not that bad, for browsing basic word processing and iPhoto editing its just fine

but for an enthusiast buying one for cheap, its not a good option at all

As I say,  you cant forget the iMac comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, webcam/microphone, photo and video software, and a full office package etc - these things would cost somebody buying their first PC

Look from the point of view of somebody buying their first PC, not a computer enthusiast analysing how well they can tinker with it and run BF4 on utlra (etc)

It's still overpriced.

not just aesthetics

the CPU they use is not that bad, its the one from the macbook air, for the usage somebody buying a cheap iMac would want its not that bad, for browsing basic word processing and iPhoto editing its just fine

but for an enthusiast buying one for cheap, its not a good option at all

As I say,  you cant forget the iMac comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, webcam/microphone, photo and video software, and a full office package etc - these things would cost somebody buying their first PC

Look from the point of view of somebody buying their first PC, not a computer enthusiast analysing how well they can tinker with it and run BF4 on utlra (etc)

As I said there's plenty of room for any peripherals and software (although personally I'd just go with libreoffice and gimp and call it a day) in the price savings you'd have by making your own and usually even from buying a *cough* prebuilt *cough*. And as you say, the use scenario would hardly justify dumping 900$ on it, let alone 1100$. The cpu is ok for that use, but the performance is comparable to that of a 60$ desktop pentium. I know not everyone can/has the time to build a pc, but there are plenty of stores such as ncix which will do that for you, often for a pretty low price premium. Of course I don't expect it to be a gaming pc, it is simply not, but the price to performance ratio is very bad even once you consider all the peripherals and the monitor. UNLESS aesthetics and not having cables around are incredibly important to you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As I said there's plenty of room for any peripherals and software (although personally I'd just go with libreoffice and gimp and call it a day) in the price savings you'd have by making your own and usually even from buying a *cough* prebuilt *cough*. And as you say, the use scenario would hardly justify dumping 900$ on it, let alone 1100$. The cpu is ok for that use, but the performance is comparable to that of a 60$ desktop pentium. I know not everyone can/has the time to build a pc, but there are plenty of stores such as ncix which will do that for you, often for a pretty low price premium. Of course I don't expect it to be a gaming pc, it is simply not, but the price to performance ratio is very bad even once you consider all the peripherals and the monitor. UNLESS aesthetics and not having cables around are incredibly important to you.

its about simplicity, people will pay for it, joe bloggs does not want the hassle, they do not understand computers, and are not interesting in learning about them

just like some people but shit cars because they don't care about the performance, they buy a £15k new Kia instead of a £15k used Porsche because its reliable, has great warranty, and is basically pain free, it comes with the options they want and they can just walk to a dealer, pay money and go home with one

The Apple machine is fast enough, well build and attractive, great warranty and support, easy to use and included software, no cables to run and learn what they are

That is the experience apple sell you, its not about buying a box of hardware, its the experience from going into store, picking up the box, calling up for support etc, 

(I probably sound all Apple bullshit) but from my experience in computer retail, that is how it works, people would happily pay £30 for me to install RAM because they couldnt be arsed or didnt want to do it 

Overpriced af just like their other products..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Overpriced af just like their other products..

everything is overpriced no mater the brand , manufacture , product , Mac, pc, ect

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I personally thinks it worth it, this for general use, browsing the web and doing some office work? probably way better than anything out there, for me Mac OS X itself justifies this build already. Tell me another way for you to be able to get all of your notes, reminders, phone calls, sms and emails on your pc with just a few steps like how Icloud does it and I'll give in. 

Not to mention, with a bit of tinkering, you can get Windows or Linux to also run on the machine, on the other hand, making a hackintosh takes ages of planning, building and troubleshooting.

If I want a simple machine to do general tasks that looks good and probably will last quite a long time, I'm not going to spend half a month planning and buying stuff from Amazon, instead I can go grab this, a copy of Windows and maybe an external hard drive and I'll be ready in 2 days.

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen