Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

Macs are extremely well built, come with an AMAZING warranty, and one of the best customer service departments i've ever had to deal with. Most apple products are priced very well for what you get. That's a fact.

It's funny how every Apple fanboy raves about the warranty and customer service... if you need them, something has gone wrong and no matter how good the support, you won't feel good about those products anymore. And seriously, how is the AMAZING warranty that you get for free? Yeah, thought so.

Build your machine in an all-in-one form factor, make it less than 5mm thick at the edge. maybe 2 centimetres at the thickest. Now throw OS X on it. THAN build an IPS monitor into the chassis. Comparing building a PC to an AIO that is a feat of engineering is just down right stupid.

No one and I mean NO ONE needs to do this, at all. All-in-One PC is the stupidest concept on the face of the planet. Where the fuck you gonna put it that you couldn't put a normal PC into. Stupid defense for pointless R&D for fucking looks. Feat of USELESS engineering that the world can do without.

Of course, wanting all features that makes everyone's life easier are all subjective thinking. Wanting free support from vendors for years is subjective. Everything I say is subjective and whatever you say is the truth. Do me a favour and just stop coming over to this thread to state your nonsense

It depends on what features you want. Windows has features as well you know, and a lot of them makes everyone's lives easier.

1 year of free support isn't anything special. You can get that from HP, Dell or basically any other company as well.

You know what, now you're just turning everything into a subjective opinion. What do you mean by others may not want the same features. Why do you think the two new OSs were a major hit and got everyone excited.....

FYI Apple is one of the most regarded companies for their designs. Everything they've did in the Mac and iOS devices in terms of design is outstanding. You might hate their design but the majority like what Apple does.

I am not turning anything into subjective things. They were subjective to begin with. Their two new OSes were not a major hit, it only has 3.95% market share. 4.85% if you count OS X 10.8 and 10.9 together.

The last part is subjective as well.

You might hate their design but the majority like what Apple does.

This just in: Millions of flies like shit.

-grabs popcorn- This flame war gon' be gooood.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac

21.5 inch model:

Specifications

1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

8GB memory

500GB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 5000

And it is $1099....

Seems pretty laptopish to me... What do you guys think?

This post has been promoted to an article

iMacs were never suppose to be served as a desktop, if it was apple is just idiots. 

Kevin Jin

Linked In

1) I'm not bloody talking about iTunes or HTC Sync Manger or Samsung Kies you idiot. Can you turn on your mobile hotspot without ever touching your phone? Can you continue what you were doing on your mobile on your Windows machine? Can you check your Bank's confirmation message in your computer rather than fetching for your phone? Can your one program do all of this in a fast seamless way. THAT"S WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY

2) I wasn't talking about Macs. I was talking about iMac and why its better than its counterparts. FYI iMac is the top rated AIO of all time

3) HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY EVERYONE IS NOT LIKE YOU?? Not everyone takes care of their computer or bother about what they're installing. For comparison sake, you took average care of your phone (physically) but ordinary people just don't give a crap what they do with the phone. They'll toss it throw it, etc. I've helped countless people in fixing their computers

4) I'm not talking about security updates and patches. the amount of features and functionality obtained by updating from Snow leopard to Mavericks or Mavericks to Yosemite is not even comparable to what Microsoft offers us. THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT WHEN MENTIONING FREE UPDATES

5) And I said Apple is one of FEW companies. You skip through words a lot 

Oh i think I already stated my objective opinions already countless times in this thread

You know when a fanboy has reached the end of his limits because he starts insulting and yelling rather than accepting what they said was wrong, or trying to explain what they meant.

P.S you're still wrong. You're either not listening or the term objective is still unclear to you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Go on ranting your BS. Think it over at your bed the difference between subjective and objective. If useful features and new additions are subjective, then every aspect in the field of tech features and abilities are subjective. 

Most features are subjective, for example an ips monitor is a feature of most apple products,  but to someone who doesn't do gaming or photo/video work it is an extra cost with no advantage over TN, thus a subjective feature.

The same can be said for software features also.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Most features are subjective, for example an ips monitor is a feature of most apple products,  but to someone who doesn't do gaming or photo/video work it is an extra cost with no advantage over TN, thus a subjective feature.

However, it is objective to say that most ISP monitors has better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN monitors.

If you value that, which I personally think you should, then ISP is better than TN. If it's worth the extra cost or not is subjective though.

On the software side you get even less objectivity in the mix because now you got "the end result from these two programs can be the same but the process is slightly different".

It depends on what features you want. Windows has features as well you know, and a lot of them makes everyone's lives easier.

1 year of free support isn't anything special. You can get that from HP, Dell or basically any other company as well.

I am not turning anything into subjective things. They were subjective to begin with. Their two new OSes were not a major hit, it only has 3.95% market share. 4.85% if you count OS X 10.8 and 10.9 together.

The last part is subjective as well.

*facepalm*

What does windows have uniquely that is so useful to everyone that Mac doesn't have, nothing. Games is the only advantage and that only happened because windows was used everywhere. Other than that windows going through a self identity crisis right now.

I'm not talking about 1 year warranty. I'm talking about the free major OS updates they roll out every year for Mac and iOS. Heck the ancient iPad 2 is getting iOS 8 and most intel macs are getting Yosemite for free. Yo don't get free major updates from MS.

New OS as in iOS 8 and Yosemite. The market share is low because you only get mac OS exclusively on Apple device. I'm sure it would have surpassed windows if Mac os was available to any vendor especially after the blunder of Vista and 8

Okay, but software features are free (at least in Apple's case) and something is always better than nothing. And people who want to get actual work done, these new features in Yosemite and iOS 8 will be hell a lot of useful

-snip-

I see you still can't make a case without insults, I let the last two occasions go, but third time round is reported.  If you can't carry on a civilized discussion then leave the thread.

I have given you a clear cut response and I will again:

How's that subjective?!  Because it's not an all encompassing fact, it's a personal opinion.

What is by definition seamless syncing for you? I don't need to install a truckload of third party apps on both my devices for all those functionality. Windows doesn't have any sort of major syncing with WP like apple's.

Bullshit,  the only software you need to install in windows is if you have a propriatary hardware you are syncing to,  If you think windows doesn't sync to WP I don't know what to tell you.

This is going to get better with Yosemite with handoff and continuity. Can you continue composing an email from your computer or vice versa in windows or can you turn on hotspot from your computer without ever digging out your mobile, NO. 

The hardware is beautiful. I still haven't seen any AIO's that even comes close.  <-  that's personal opinion, it's subjective, what you think is beautiful another person thinks is shit,  this does NOT make macs better or worse!

Long lasting? You kidding me. Only with care your windows device will last any more than 2 years. You must be a retard to think that everyone is computer geek

I have a $500 acer laptop here that has had average treatment and is still going strong (6 years old) ,  If you need to insult people because you can't handle the truth then clearly you have no argument.

Windows? Free updates. You're talking pure BS. an windows upgrade disc costs $120 while Apple gives you amazing new features and support for FREE.

Yes,  surprisingly enough once you buy a copy of windows for about $80, you don't have to pay again, you still get updates and security patches for a good 10 years. this is longer than the pc will last before the update cycle.

I think you don't know what's subjective and not. All you said above is pure BS. Who wouldn't want the above features on windows.

Nearly all of the above features are in windows, and for the definition of subjective check the above post.

My last sentence is true. Apple is better than others in certain ways especially the support on iOS and OS X. They are one of the few companies who knows what they're doing

and:

No, they were already subjective opinions, we don't get to choose what is subjective and what is objective, that is already defined in the dictionary. 

Features are subjective because not all people need them, they are not always beneficial to the end user, same as ram size, hdd size, processor speed, monitor size, built in software, relative software compatibility etc.  If a feature be it software or hardware is not necessary for a particular end user then that features usefulness is subjective, not objective.    I don't use my pc to control other devices, therefore the that feature in an OS is useless, to a network admin it might be a better option.  You see the difference between objective and subjective now?

As said before, color saturation etc is better on an IPS panel than a TN panel, that is objective,  the need for an IPS or TN panel is however subjective.  therefor you cannot say a mac is better without stating why, and a list of features that aren't of any use or are common to other pc's does not a reason why, it is just a list of features that are either common or not. 

So after 3 people in this thread have tried to explain the difference, plus I have linked a dictionary definition, if you can't apply that knowledge to what you are saying and see how it determines what is a factually different and what actually constitutes "better" then I don;t what else to tell you.

Seeing as I do not see apple as being either better or worse, just different, I cannot be a fan boy, but until you accept this fact then the jury is still out for you.

I see you still can't make a case without insults, I let the last two occasions go, but third time round is reported. If you can't carry on a civilized discussion then leave the thread.

I have given you a clear cut response and I will again:

and:

Features are subjective because not all people need them, they are not always beneficial to the end user, same as ram size, hdd size, processor speed, monitor size, built in software, relative software compatibility etc. If a feature be it software or hardware is not necessary for a particular end user then that features usefulness is subjective, not objective. I don't use my pc to control other devices, therefore the that feature in an OS is useless, to a network admin it might be a better option. You see the difference between objective and subjective now?

As said before, color saturation etc is better on an IPS panel than a TN panel, that is objective, the need for an IPS or TN panel is however subjective. therefor you cannot say a mac is better without stating why, and a list of features that aren't of any use or are common to other pc's does not a reason why, it is just a list of features that are either common or not.

So after 3 people in this thread have tried to explain the difference, plus I have linked a dictionary definition, if you can't apply that knowledge to what you are saying and see how it determines what is a factually different and what actually constitutes "better" then I don;t what else to tell you.

Seeing as I do not see apple as being either better or worse, just different, I cannot be a fan boy, but until you accept this fact then the jury is still out for you.

Well first thing is you aren't referring to what I was asking the first place. That's where I put the caps, to basically highlight. I'm on mobile and I can't change the font in any way.

Second, I was asking for the answers in my post after the one you quoted above.

Third, we can't categorise features as subjective or objective in the first place. What are features for? It's to make the os easier to use and work with and in all those aspects Mac is better than ms windows 8 crap.

And last, you I said this computer will be great for my folks not me and all three of you were lecturing me on how to care of a Windows PC. Mac doesn't need as much care especially because there's less bloatware and viruses and actually have features that people genuinely care about.

After seeing how bad WIndows 8 is and the plan to centralize their operating systems I have actually looked into getting a Macbook Pro after getting into my third year of college.

By then Apple should have some nicer features, let's hope they don't ruin their nice and cozy OS though.

Can't we just agree this machine wasn't made for the LTT members in mind and is a decent machine for the non gamer that wants something simple? Not like Dell or Hp makes any good systems for a grand. Prebuilts to prebuilts, this had literally nothing to do with custom rigs in the slightest.

I normally like Apple stuff... I like the feel of a Macbook... I like iPhones, and I love my iPod touch... But the specs for the price are garbage. Even with the engineering. This is one of the few Apple products I will never suggest.

Well first thing is you aren't referring to what I was asking the first place. That's where I put the caps, to basically highlight. I'm on mobile and I can't change the font in any way.

Second, I was asking for the answers in my post after the one you quoted above.

Third, we can't categorise features as subjective or objective in the first place. What are features for? It's to make the os easier to use and work with and in all those aspects Mac is better than ms windows 8 crap.

And last, you I said this computer will be great for my folks not me and all three of you were lecturing me on how to care of a Windows PC. Mac doesn't need as much care especially because there's less bloatware and viruses and actually have features that people genuinely care about.

We were telling you how to look after a windows machine because you were insinuating that all windows machines are plagued with memory issues.  Your lack of satisfaction for windows or preference for mac is fine, however that does not make mac better, it only makes it the preference for your specific situation/mindset.    I have used every version of windows,  several distros of linux and OSX, they all have their advantages, however not one is superior to the other until you have very specific requirements. 

I don't know what your experience with windows was like, but the only bloatware you might get is from pc manufacturers.  Windows itself does not contain bloatware.  And that is easy enough to remove, or even just ignore if you are not a power user (which most people who buy prebuilts aren't and happily carry on with Acer software running in the background while they check their facebook). 

Please show me a 300 dollar build that compares to this. And PLEASE show me a 200 dollar monitor that will compare to the ips display on this

I've done so in previous posts on this thread. I'm not going to post it again for everyone who asks this question.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've done so in previous posts on this thread. I'm not going to post it again for everyone who asks this question.

Fine, could you just link me to it then?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

• 5 months later...

Doesn't have an external PSU. It's built in, PLUS it's thinner than most notebooks, Also likely passively cooled. I'd like to se you engineer a 4670 in a passively cooled environment. 

"thinner." Maybe the very edge is thinner. But they're incredibly fat in the back. And, none of that "it's to support the weight of the computer" crap. If it actually were thinner, it would be lighter. No need for the big hump in the back. It's a fat desktop. Modern PC cases are roomy. You could fit the actual hardware needed for a pc into that form factor. The only parts that wouldn't fit are the human interface parts. I.E. front panel connectors and the i.o. on the rear of a motherboard. Lol. Passively cooled. Ever heard of an ultrabook with an i7 that's passively cooled? put your money that you're wasting on apple where your mouth is. I can build a pc with a similar form factor with a mini itx board and a desktop grade i5 for half the price. Their graphics are crap, they use bad cpus for the price, and worst of all... the operating system. A gamer's nightmare. So... Don't make people look like idiots... because you'll end up being the idiot. Good day sir.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*Personal Rig*_*_*_*_*_*_*

CPU: Core i7 7700k @ 5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SSC ACX 3.0

MOBO: ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI/AC

RAM: 16 GB HyperX Fury

COOLER: NZXT Kraken X52

CASE: NZXT S340 Elite

STORAGE:  500GB NVME Samsung 960 Pro

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

4TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM)

It's shit for the price. As usual with most Apple products.

21.5" 1440p screen and all-aluminum chassis to hold all that stuff and $1100 is way too much to ask? Form factor has a price, just like a Lian Li desk chassis or a laptop.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

"thinner." Maybe the very edge is thinner. But they're incredibly fat in the back. And, none of that "it's to support the weight of the computer" crap. If it actually were thinner, it would be lighter. No need for the big hump in the back. It's a fat desktop. Modern PC cases are roomy. You could fit the actual hardware needed for a pc into that form factor. The only parts that wouldn't fit are the human interface parts. I.E. front panel connectors and the i.o. on the rear of a motherboard. Lol. Passively cooled. Ever heard of an ultrabook with an i7 that's passively cooled? put your money that you're wasting on apple where your mouth is. I can build a pc with a similar form factor with a mini itx board and a desktop grade i5 for half the price. Their graphics are crap, they use bad cpus for the price, and worst of all... the operating system. A gamer's nightmare. So... Don't make people look like idiots... because you'll end up being the idiot. Good day sir.

That hump houses the RAM and allows you to change it out if you so choose. If you'd like them to now solder down the RAM to make it even thinner, be out guest.

There is no passively cooled I7 laptop in existence. Core M is about the closest we've gotten to that idea.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

this gives me bad nightmares about my baseline 11" macbook air

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Oh Apple hmm? FUCK NO. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

why use a low voltage chip those are pricy they could have gone with a  higher clocked non low voltage chip  for the same price , no ?

maybe it wont thermal throttle like everyother mac ... ehhhh who am i kidding even that weany clocked i5 will probably throttle 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky