iSwitched from Chrome to Opera

So all the "Saftey" features Chrome has to offer fail, I had to switch browsers. It would say "Pop-up Blocked" but still show the pop-up. I would visit newegg and search "GTX 760 4GB" then exit the window, and when I entered Pandora every single ad would be for that exact GPU. EVERYTHING I did would show up in ads. And Chrome would not stop random downloads, when I would download stuff for game servers, usually I would have to go to sketchy sites for the plugins I needed, and Chrome would always allow random downloads, pop-ups, and tool-bars (Dowload too fast for me to stop them and install themselvs) . I was going to use FireFox, but I think it's ugly, and i'm not using IE. And I wanted something more simple and light. 

So I wanted to try Opera, it is used less than Chrome, so less tool bars and crap made for it. 

post-11076-0-72526100-1402682588_thumb.p

I can also download an add-on called "Ghostery" that blocks trackers and other web page things. It shows how many trackers are on a page, and opens when you click on it. (Shown with Pandora) (And no Pandora banner ads)

post-11076-0-67035900-1402682664_thumb.p

Opera also blocks ads (Without Adblock)! Look at YouTube with Chrome and Opera, it does this with Grooveshark and most sites also! No audio ads, and no banners! 

post-11076-0-15266600-1402682810_thumb.p

And the settings are basically like Chromes, so things are still easy and simple. (I think they are actually the exact same menu)

post-11076-0-63616400-1402682937_thumb.p

(And Opera does not suck RAM up like Chrome) Opera also has "Off-Road"/"Turbo" mode that compresses data and then decompresses it so if you have a crappy Internet connection (School) and you really need to load a simple page with just some text, it can do that without stressing the connection too much. (I don't know if Chrome or FireFox has this) 

post-11076-0-72526100-1402682588_thumb.p

post-11076-0-67035900-1402682664_thumb.p

post-11076-0-15266600-1402682810_thumb.p

post-11076-0-63616400-1402682937_thumb.p

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I hate opera because it lines the tabs up just a few pixels away from the top of the screen so you can't roll along the edge to click the one you want you have to move it down just a tiny bit.

Firefox/Chrome don't have that problem.

I hate chrome i use to use opera then chrome became a thing and everyone was hyping about it so i switched but now i cant be bothered to switch back but chrome is sooo broken i know what u mean with the pop ups get them all the god damn time so annoying.

Seems legit. Personally I have adblock plus and I haven't seen an ad online in months- youtube, pandora, LTT, nowhere :). That is troubling about Chrome allowing downloads though. I've never experienced that somehow.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Wow I don't remember Opera being a Chrome copy 0_o

Me neither.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I hate opera because it lines the tabs up just a few pixels away from the top of the screen so you can't roll along the edge to click the one you want you have to move it down just a tiny bit.

I noticed that and stuck it out for a week, now I automatically click the middle of the tab, not the top. 

Look at firefox, everything is pretty much a chrome copy now.

I left Opera, had too many bugs on my part after like a month and a half of use.

It seems to be the winning formula then.

You made the right choice! :D

Opera Next is truly the next generation Browser for Web 2.0 and HTML5

Learn to adjust your Chrome settings to tell it to not track your actions for ad purposes. Your "safety" is never compromised with those ads because there is no way to prevent Chrome from knowing what you are doing with in the browser. Nothing is being communicated that violates your privacy. But you can tell Chrome to not even do that if you want. Also, AdBlock, use it or get off the internet.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Learn to adjust your Chrome settings to tell it to not track your actions for ad purposes. Your "safety" is never compromised with those ads because there is no way to prevent Chrome from knowing what you are doing with in the browser. Nothing is being communicated that violates your privacy. But you can tell Chrome to not even do that if you want. Also, AdBlock, use it or get off the internet.

I had every feature on, and even Chrome would say "Blocked Download" but it would download the file anyways. 

Also i'm not afraid of the trackers, I just hate them. 

I always had "Do not track" selected, never made a difference. 

I love Opera, but I use Chrome 'cause the plugins are only for Chrome.

I don't see the point of this new Blink engine using Opera. It lacks almost all of the features of Presto engined Opera.

In it's current state it's literally a paint job of Chrome. Hell, no joke, I have seen this on my Blogger account, Google Analytics doesn't even recognize Opera as a separate browser. It files it under Chrome.

The only difference it has from Chrome is lack of features.

But the most frustrating part of it is it lacks features it boast right on the browser, namely Opera Link. I clicked on the Opera Link to set up synchronization with my phone. It redirected me to a page and told be to create an Opera Link account. I created the Opera Link account and only after that it told be that Opera Link was still under construction for the this new Opera... I have uninstalled it immediately.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I use maxthon and it doesnt have that

Wow I don't remember Opera being a Chrome copy 0_o

Me neither.

It didnt use to be. It is now.

Look at firefox, everything is pretty much a chrome copy now.

I left Opera, had too many bugs on my part after like a month and a half of use.

I use MAxthon, it isnt a chrome copy and i like it

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Seems legit. Personally I have adblock plus and I haven't seen an ad online in months- youtube, pandora, LTT, nowhere :). That is troubling about Chrome allowing downloads though. I've never experienced that somehow.

Same thing here.

I recently used Opera for about 2 weeks and went back to Chrome.  Firefox 4 made me move to Opera, sites not working made me get Chrome.

I have the feeling I will move back to Firefox,  I like the way its going with 29. Google is really starting to bother me, with stupid changes they are making.  

If you click "Advanced Settings" you can disable the little pixels at the top! I can't believe I just found this!

post-11076-0-65428500-1402814144.png

I've never had a single issue with chrome.. If you're worried about ads, use adblock? Chrome will download things that you click on... Just don't click on sketchy ads claiming to be downloads (read: get adblock). Chrome doesn't randomly allow toolbars, you are most likely adding them without knowing it. This goes with downloading and installing sketchy things. It's not really the browsers fault.

If you're running in incognito mode, it will disable all extensions by default. You have to manually go into each extension and give it permission to run when in incognito.

If you click "Advanced Settings" you can disable the little pixels at the top! I can't believe I just found this!

opera.PNG

Oh we have a winner! Well done bro!

I'm gonna turn that shit off and try the browser again.

I had every feature on, and even Chrome would say "Blocked Download" but it would download the file anyways. 

Also i'm not afraid of the trackers, I just hate them. 

I always had "Do not track" selected, never made a difference. 

By your own statement you either don't know what you are talking about or you are lying. Never once has Chrome "blocked" something and it still got through anyways for me and millions of other users. Blocked is blocked. But, both hackers and just general ad generators are constantly looking for ways to bypass blocking software. So things can get past any blocking software, but you won't get a false positive "blocked" notification when that happens. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I've never had a single issue with chrome.. If you're worried about ads, use adblock? Chrome will download things that you click on... Just don't click on sketchy ads claiming to be downloads (read: get adblock). Chrome doesn't randomly allow toolbars, you are most likely adding them without knowing it. This goes with downloading and installing sketchy things. It's not really the browsers fault.

If you're running in incognito mode, it will disable all extensions by default. You have to manually go into each extension and give it permission to run when in incognito.

I actually never had this issue until about 3 updates ago, and yes my computer does not have crap on it, and I only have two extensions, Chrome Remote Desktop, and Google Docs.

I wish I had a screen recording of it.

You should try Firefox Nightly with some modifications. http://www.junauza.com/2010/05/hacks-to-make-firefox-faster-than.html

Nightly Master race FTW!!!! :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I recently used Opera for about 2 weeks and went back to Chrome.  Firefox 4 made me move to Opera, sites not working made me get Chrome.

I have the feeling I will move back to Firefox,  I like the way its going with 29. Google is really starting to bother me, with stupid changes they are making.  

I keep telling people, try maxthon.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I keep telling people, try maxthon.

I just downloaded it. Is there some setting that allows the search and address bar to be the same thing (Like Chrome, Opera, and IE) ?