Who else on here is essentially a hermit?

paddy-stone

The furthest outside of the house I've been in roughly 6 months, is about 20-25 metres which is down the bottom of my garden. 

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Jesus Christ man, no, and I can't imagine why you would desire to live like that. I feel the need to leave the house and go somewhere after a long day of working from home.

There are some days where I wish I could stay home, but you know, responsibility.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

The furthest outside of the house I've been in roughly 6 months, is about 20-25 metres which is down the bottom of my garden. 

Does it make you feel contentment, or do you feel you want to change? Because both are valid.

The benefits of unemployment huh

Unfortunately, I have to work.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Gotta move every day. Going grocery shopping at least once a day.

I edit my posts more often than not

Unfortunately, most people, including me, have to go to work and shop for groceries. But when on vacation, I like to stock up and stay indoors for 1-2 weeks. I'm an introvert, so I have no trouble getting by alone without getting lonely or bored. My cat provides enough social interaction that I generally don't feel the need to interact with other people on a daily basis.

That may sound sad, but hey, I'm happy where I am.

That's probably more than I can say for most people I know.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'm an introvert, but I cannot stand being inside for super long. That's why basically everything I like to do is outdoors. Working on my car, driving, hunting, fishing, and also both my jobs are mainly outdoors. I love working by myself, though. I'd go batshit crazy sitting inside for more than a couple days. It's very healthy to get outside too.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Haven't left the House since April 5th (got a Haircut that day). But yeah if I don't specifically wanna go do something or have an appointment I don't leave the House. I'm in a weird situation rn anyways with applying for Jobs and waiting a long time for responses. (Because HR people are as slow as a Sloth in doing anything. Man how I hate HR people.) During the Covid year of 2020 I think my longest streak of staying inside was like 4 Months.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

My cat provides enough social interaction that I generally don't feel the need to interact with other people on a daily basis.

I'd stay home too with that cute fluffy cat.

How do you get your daily needs like food then? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I’ve described myself as a hermit. I can go a couple weeks without going beyond opening my front door to grab something off the front porch. I haven’t spoken to or seen my neighbors in several months. I have a friend who lives less than a mile from me, and I haven’t seen him in at least 6 months. 

That said, I eventually end up going to the store or to a family member’s house. I also recently took a trip to the UK (from the US). So I’m not a complete shut-in. 

29 minutes ago, wasab said:

How do you get your daily needs like food then? 

Probably from their parents in the morning, and ordered food from time to time...

and Jesus while this is a tech forum, I'm a bit shocked by the amount of people that just sit in their houses all day to no end.

What's that grunge song say uh... there's a world out there, don't you be no square? 🙂

Seriously, go out. Summer is coming so at least go out for walks. It'd help, both on a psychological and physical level.

32 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Probably from their parents in the morning, and ordered food from time to time...

and Jesus while this is a tech forum, I'm a bit shocked by the amount of people that just sit in their houses all day to no end.

What's that grunge song say uh... there's a world out there, don't you be no square? 🙂

Seriously, go out. Summer is coming so at least go out for walks. It'd help, both on a psychological and physical level.

Hikomorri syndrome

I think this is a mental illness 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I pretty much never leave the (fairly large) property that I live on except when I really have to (for school and when I need to go to a store or pick someone/something up).

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

OK, I won't bother going into all the reasons etc. But I am disabled, and it's extremely painful to walk, and do other things... pretty much all the time.

I have creative outlets, like cooking and working with my hands when possible, like woodworking/metalworking, welding etc... it's not always possible because of the disabilities though, also why I can't work, it's just not safe to assume that I can do certain things.

I mostly read and/or listen to music, those are things I can do most of the time as it depends less on the use of my hands, and with audio books it's even better. I like to grow plants too, which is good for times when I am very sensitive to loud noises etc, and bright lights.

This is the hand I've been dealt, and I'm trying to make the most of it, and work with what I can... it helps that I have mostly always been an introvert anyway. I can't imagine feeling that need to go out with all the hurdles I have... then it probably would drive me crazy... if I wasn't already 🤪

Oh, I am an adult by the way, very much so... so don't rely on my parents for anything (plus my mum died recently). But seriously you don't know how you get things like food when you're stuck at home?  it's called delivered shopping, been around even in my small ass town for a very long time... and I cook my own food, most nights if I can. And if I can't cook (I have problems with my hands too), then I have toast, or whatever... we only have 2 takeaway restaurants where I live, so don't rely on fast food at all. 

By the way, the people insinuating about not having to work... you wouldn't feel that way if you got sick and had to stop working. I've seen this mentality a lot.. I would actually love to work again, if I was able. It was very tough giving up work, and getting to that point over about a 5 year period of being in constant pain, sleep issues etc... I just couldn't go on how I was. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just saying it's not like being on vacation, I have these problems all the time, whether I'm working or not. 

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

45 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

By the way, the people insinuating about not having to work... you wouldn't feel that way if you got sick and had to stop working. I've seen this mentality a lot.. I would actually love to work again, if I was able. It was very tough giving up work, and getting to that point over about a 5 year period of being in constant pain, sleep issues etc... I just couldn't go on how I was. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just saying it's not like being on vacation, I have these problems all the time, whether I'm working or not. 

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. People always want what they can't have. 

Is it so hard to imagine that someone has to work 8-10 hours a day and would rather do something else with that time? Most people don't work for fun. They go to work every day because they need to sustain themselves or their family.

I'm not miserable because I have to go to work. And I'd like to have more free time, but I also want to have more disposable income than what I'd get from social security, so I have no choice but to go to work to make that happen.

To be clear, I'm not saying you're living the easy life. What you're describing your situation feels like sounds terrible. I can only speak from my perspective. And from my perspective, having more time off sounds good. But I wouldn't trade my health for it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 4/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, paddy-stone said:

Wouldn't say I'm a hermit, but I sure as hell don't do much. I go to work, run any necessary errands, and rush to my function. Though, my current function is an Extended Stay suite. I've never been a fan of of socializing too much, therefore the most you'll get out of me is an occasional family gathering or night-out with a few "acquaintances" because making friends is hard, man.

Edited by Jake.
additional info

22 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. People always want what they can't have. 

Is it so hard to imagine that someone has to work 8-10 hours a day and would rather do something else with that time? Most people don't work for fun. They go to work every day because they need to sustain themselves or their family.

I'm not miserable because I have to go to work. And I'd like to have more free time, but I also want to have more disposable income than what I'd get from social security, so I have no choice but to go to work to make that happen.

To be clear, I'm not saying you're living the easy life. What you're describing your situation feels like sounds terrible. I can only speak from my perspective. And from my perspective, having more time off sounds good. But I wouldn't trade my health for it.

Exactly! - I would gladly swap places with someone that doesn't have pain pretty much all day every day, sleep problems etc etc... I don't get much enjoyment out of being off work, I have more free time for sure, but with hardly making ends meet, and bad health, it's so not enjoyable as it would be to someone with good health and money to spend. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not saying I don't get some enjoyment out of the free time I have, you have to try doing something to keep from being bored all the time, sleeping, and to stop you from blowing your brains out. I know other people that are like myself, but they don't have an outlet for their misery... so they get bored, moan about stuff all the time etc... and I keep telling them to find some kind of hobby, anything, just to stay sane. But some people can get too focused on what they've lost, missing out on things and it makes them depressed. I went through that stage the first few years, it was terrible! but in the end I just found stuff to occupy my time that didn't need someone else to entertain me or whatever. 

I just started this thread as a kind of joke at my own expense, and to see if anyone else actually doesn't mind being alone, and tries to make a go of it 😄

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 hours ago, Jake. said:

Wouldn't say I'm a hermit, but I sure as hell don't do much. I go to work, run any necessary errands, and rush to my function. Though, my current function is an Extended Stay suite. I've never been a fan of of socializing too much, therefore the most you'll get out of me is an occasional family gathering or night-out with a few "acquaintances" because making friends is hard, man.

Yeah, for me making friends was easy when I was younger.. even though I still liked being alone from time to time. Now I am older, it's not easy to make real friends with people any more. Everyone mostly just focuses on their own lives. Which for me kind of works out nicely, I don't have to make excuses about why I can't go to things etc... I just wanna peaceful life, where I can plan out my projects to do, mainly DIY and such. And do some cooking, gardening etc, play with the dog.

I got my first strawberry of the year yesterday  

IMG_20240430_133946.thumb.jpg.41753b7e8f0903fa79094cfcc899176f.jpg

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Full-remote jobs aren't really a thing here, sadly.  At best, you get to stay home twice a week. I'd love to be a hermit if I could

🙂

FIrst post with no context seemed made by a teen, hence the comments about not having to work or hikikomori.

On 4/30/2024 at 9:21 PM, paddy-stone said:

which is good for times when I am very sensitive to loud noises etc, and bright lights.

🤝🏻

LED lights are terrible for my eyes.