SSD breakthrough means 300% speed boost, 60% less power usage... even on old drives

Gumba

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/ssd-breakthrough-means-300-speed-boost-60-less-power-usage-even-on-old-drives

A breakthrough has been made in SSD technology that could mean drastic performance increases due to the overcoming of one of the major issues in the memory type. Currently, data cannot be directly overwritten onto the NAND chips used in the devices. Files must be written to a clean area of the drive whilst the old area is formatted. This eventually causes fragmented data and lowers the drive's life and performance over time.

However, a Japanese team at Chuo University have finally overcome the issue that is as old as the technology itself. Officially unveiled at the 2014 IEEE International Memory Workshop in Taipei, the researchers have written a brand new middleware for the drives that controls how the data is written to and stored on the device. Their new version utilizes what they call a 'logical block address scrambler' which effectively prevents data being written to a new 'page' on the device unless it is absolutely required. Instead, it is placed in a block to be erased and consolidated in the next sweep. This means significantly less behind-the-scenes file copying that results in increased performance from idle, during intensive jobs and a longer lifetime for the drive as SSDs have a finite number of possible write operations.

In tests, drives using the technology wrote data 55% less often than drives without and performance increases of up to 300% were noted. This could enable high-end devices to easily reach transfer speeds of 1.5GB/s as current models achieve around 500MB/s typically; 60% less power was also used in the lab tests due to the lack of additional drive writes.

If you are reading this on a computer booting from an SSD and are thinking of splashing out on one of these next-generation models equipped with new NAND chips then perhaps you should wait a moment. The changes made by the team were purely software-based. There is definitely a possibility that existing devices still in support by their manufacturers may get firmware updates in the near future so that they store data in the new manner and  benefit from the increased speed, decreased power consumption and increased expected life of drives equipped with the new NAND controller firmware. 

post-29933-0-03002600-1400922030.jpg

i5 3570k and GTX 780 Ti

I'm with the second guy that posted on the site stating, "Yes, but let's just wait and see how this turns out."

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Sata 6 Gbit/s is the biggest limiting factor anyway. more than 550mb/s isn't possible with this interface. And you can already buy SSDs with another interface that write 1-2Gb/s

This is the original article:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20140522/353388/

as seen on the reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/26cec7/ssd_breakthrough_means_300_speed_boost_60_less/chppv56

I hope they can get teamed up with someone like Intel to see how feasible/manufacture-able the technology actually is and eventually/hopefully getting it to market.

Will this only affect write speed? Technically this is a feature that could be introduced to our existing SSDs via a firmware update, but vendors will prob want to sell new models.

I'll just keep the firmware that my SSD came with. Mainly because I can't update it. And I don't want to. Which is why I love and hate Linux.

I kinda want @LinusTech and @Slick to talk about this on the WAN show next week.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This won't be seen in consumer drives for years. If a research group at a university just figured it out, it's going to take manufacturers even longer to engineer a solution that is reliable and workable.

If you want SSDs to be faster in the short term, add a gigabyte of DRAM to the drive as a random read/write cache and an internal capacitor to write data to the drive after power is cut. That'll jack up the IOPS.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Sata 6 Gbit/s is the biggest limiting factor anyway. more than 550mb/s isn't possible with this interface. And you can already buy SSDs with another interface that write 1-2Gb/s

For everyday use that doesn't really matter nand controllers are still the bottlenecks for random access and there is no mention how this will affect them. Longer lifetime and increased efficiency is always nice though :).

Wasn't this posted already? Twice?

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Pretty awesome news. Wish I didn't have an OCZ ssd now though :(. Why did they have to go out of business D':

OMG, What do I have to do? IM blown!

Wait fo rfirmware. on manufacturer website... WHERE

I have ADATA XPG900

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

And now I have a legitimate reason to consider an ssd for my rig that only has SATA 2. AFTER we see how the situation pans out, of course.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

This shows that no matter how powerful your hardware is, it will always be limited and controlled by your software. Software is always behind hardware, no matter in what application. This is particularly prominent in the humanoid robotics sector, where we have the most powerful servos, and so many of them, that we can't control them all efficiently without saying 'Goodbye' to battery life.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Guess it's almost time for SATA 3.2 to start becoming available. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

i knew i had seen this somewhere, turns out, its a repost

but this one seems to have more interactions with people so, you win i guess

I want this fast.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard