New and Old SSD's may get up to 300% performance increase and up to 60% less power consumption

geforceftw

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20140522/353388/

The new method forms a middleware layer called "LBA (logical block address) scrambler" between the file system (OS) and FTL. The LBA scrambler works in conjunction with the FTL and converts the logical addresses of data being written to reduce the effect of fragmentation.

Specifically, instead of writing data on a new blank page, data is written on a fragmented page located in the block to be erased next. As a result, the ratio of invalid pages in the block to be erased increases, reducing the number of valid pages that need to be copied to another area at the time of garbage collection.

In a simulation, the research team confirmed that the new technology improves the writing speed of SSD by up to 300% and reduces power consumption by up to 60% and the number of write/erase cycles by up to 55%, increasing product life. Because, with the new method, it is not necessary to make any changes to NAND flash memory, and the method is completed within the middleware, it can be applied to existing SSDs as it is.

If manufacturers are willing to (probably not) release the updated firmware this should increase performance to all SSDs but if we are able to use this performance is another question.

I don't know if this would mean 300% performance increase in real world performance since sata is already a bottle neck for SSDs. Sata 3 caps around 560 MB/s IIRC. Unless we get a new standard (pci express?) i dont think we will be able to use this. I hope this is legit and i hope manufacturers will release an update for their older SSDs. I hope its not juist a "feature" for new SSDs.

Sorry if this is a repost i couldn't find it on the forum.

EDIT: I found it on reddit here's the post http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/26cec7/ssd_breakthrough_means_300_speed_boost_60_less/

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I may not know how this works but it's still cool

It is cool. I just hope we get past  the sata bottleneck

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

lol it took me 10 minutes to try to write this and it was psoted 9 minutes ago...

I personally care more about read speeds that write speeds. The read speed is what gives you the snappy performance and load times ssd's are known for.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz