I agree with Microsoft's decision to keep using AA batteries in their console

First off let me say that I do not agree with everything Microsoft does with the Xbox brand by any means. A few things I despise are:

1. The Kinect shenanigans they had to learn the hard way about (thought it was cool, but they focused too much on it and requiring it was total nonsense)
  2. The attempt to remove used games (thank God they pulled back on this one)
  3. Overly focusing on digital game purchases
  4. MICROTRANSACTIONS (its not just Microsoft, but they're guilty of it too)
  5. Charging for Xbox Live (I already pay for the internet, why do I need to pay you for permission to use my internet)

I could go on and on, so please understand I'm not some fangirl, they irritate me a lot, but I think the AA battery decision with their controllers was the right decision and here's why:

1. Replacing built in rechargeable batteries is a much bigger hassle than replacing some AA batteries (PS5 controller battery replacement video), and all batteries stop holding charges at some point and become fire hazards, I don't want to have to tear apart my controller just to replace its battery. 
  2. Rechargeable built in batteries can be easily replaceable if companies designed them right (xbox rechargeable battery) and thats great, but these batteries are often proprietary to the manufacturer, meaning in the long run the possibility of demand becoming so low its no longer profitable to make replacements could create an issue for future collectors of these consoles. The AA standard itself could become obsolete, but it has been here much longer and runs a much lower risk of this occurring for the foreseeable future.
  3. I don't want to have to plug in my wireless controller or own two (spending an extra $50.00 or more) so I can swap them out when the batteries die. AA replacement is quick and easy. 
  4. If the batteries go bad, it is much easier for me to remove and dispose of them on the current Xbox controller than any of its competitors (this might not count as a full reason on its own as it kind of touches on reason 1)

For me the perfect solution has been Energizer's rechargeable AA batteries which aren't much more expensive than traditional AA batteries, will save you money in the long run with how long they last and how many recharges you can get out of them and you maintain the convenience and relative future proofing (AA could become obsolete at some point but I don't see it coming anytime soon) without having the waste or annoyance of traditional AA batteries in needing to always purchase replacements. 

I understand not all will agree and thats cool. Though I think in a perfect world new controllers and consoles would come with rechargeable AA batteries and their charging units. Reduction in waste, ease of use and that relative future proofing while maintaining much of what is loved by built in rechargeable batteries we see elsewhere. Especially considering you can charge these Energizer batteries with them still in the controller via a USB C cable. Also no disrespect to the Playstation controller, not my cup of tea as I grew up on the Xbox controller, but Sony makes a mean good controller. 🙂 

- Angela Hornung

7 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:
  1. I don't want to have to plug in my wireless controller or own two (spending an extra $50.00 or more) so I can swap them out when the batteries die. AA replacement is quick and easy. 

Just... plug in your controller when you're done using it..? There are docks for that as well, it has never been an issue with built in battery packs.

Sure Sony could go back to how easy it was to replace the battery pack on the Dualshock 3 controller but it's so wholly unnecessary in the first place. The battery packs last for many multiples of years. If you ever got to the point where it DID somehow die and you didn't have the know-how or care to replace it yourself then you can take it to any numerous repair shops around you and pay a few bucks to have them replace the pack.

AA's, even rechargeable ones, are wasteful in resources and time and never made sense for controllers.

image.jpeg.1f693d27fadc7e6d46d561452bde7949.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.23fb2c6956f95b4e041c882bfe095dd0.jpeg

That still leaves the issue of proprietary components and the potential for a lack of replacement parts in the future.

I’d be curious to know of waste issues with rechargeable AAs vs these custom batteries. I can’t imagine they produce more waste. Though if they do that would certainly be a win to your point. 

As for the docking stations, certainly an option, but it’s another thing I have to buy and find a place for. Certainly not a bad option though. But I already have AA and AAA rechargeable for things other than controllers, so increasing the things they can be used for is nice as it reduces the amount of items in my case. Though that’s just my case, everyone’s is different. 

- Angela Hornung

1 minute ago, AngelaHornung said:

That still leaves the issue of proprietary components and the potential for a lack of replacement parts in the future.

Lithium ion packs aren't proprietary (least unless you're Apple).

https://www.ifixit.com/products/playstation-dualsense-controller-battery

A few wires to something that provides voltage is really easy for anyone to make.

2 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

but it’s another thing I have to buy and find a place for. Certainly not a bad option though. But I already have AA and AAA rechargeable for things other than controllers, so increasing the things they can be used for is nice as it reduces the amount of items in my case. Though that’s just my case, everyone’s is different. 

And you also have the cable that came with the controller and can plug it in when you stop for the day / night.

Fair points and interesting note on the battery. Still a bit more difficult but perhaps I’m splitting hairs and the pros out weigh the cons. 

At least in the mean time I can enjoy my AA batteries! XD

- Angela Hornung

Just now, AngelaHornung said:

Fair points and interesting note on the battery. Still a bit more difficult but perhaps I’m splitting hairs and the pros out weigh the cons. 

At least in the mean time I can enjoy my AA batteries! XD

Would love to see the group do a video on this subject. 

- Angela Hornung

44 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

AA's, even rechargeable ones, are wasteful in resources and time and never made sense for controllers.

Agreed for disposable batteries, awful wasteful things that should have been phased out a decade ago. But I absolutely disagree for rechargeables.

The lifetimes of products and their built in batteries, especially for relatively low cost devices like controllers, are often tied to each other. Sure it's possible to replace built-in batteries, have a repair shop replace them, or remove and reuse/recycle them if the product they're in breaks, but that never happens. On a macro scale essentially nobody is bothering to do that, they just throw the whole thing away and get a new one. Rechargeable standard sized batteries sidestep this issue by decoupling the batteries and the product they're in.

And if the time to replace batteries is your biggest gripe, there are countless rechargeable battery packs (an additional cost, the downside of this) for Xbox controllers that not only make recharging the same as a controller with built-in batteries, but also allow the batteries and controller to be independently replaced easily enough that an average person might be expected to do so.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Agreed for disposable batteries, awful wasteful things that should have been phased out a decade ago. But I absolutely disagree for rechargeables.

The lifetimes of products and their built in batteries, especially for relatively low cost devices like controllers, are often tied to each other. Sure it's possible to replace built-in batteries, have a repair shop replace them, or remove and reuse/recycle them if the product they're in breaks, but that never happens. On a macro scale essentially nobody is bothering to do that, they just throw the whole thing away and get a new one. Rechargeable standard sized batteries sidestep this issue by decoupling the batteries and the product they're in.

And if the time to replace batteries is your biggest gripe, there are countless rechargeable battery packs (an additional cost, the downside of this) for Xbox controllers that not only make recharging the same as a controller with built-in batteries, but also allow the batteries and controller to be independently replaced easily enough that an average person might be expected to do so.

You'd have a point here if the reason people threw controllers away was because their battery pack died.

But people throw controllers away because they've become cheap pieces of garbage with worthless thumbsticks and brittle buttons. The battery packs are still fine.

The next issue becomes that now you have a thrown away controller, and have used more batteries on a larger scale than if you had a controller with integrated battery pack. I doubt everyone who buys an Xbox controller immediately swaps the batteries inside for rechargeable variants. Ya know, seeing how often people complain about needing to replace the batteries.

I had this issue, and just bought a battery pack but before that I used Li Ion AA usb c rechargeable batteries, they are convienient(Usb C) and last extremely long, and are a better alternative to the Packs

38 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

and have used more batteries on a larger scale than if you had a controller with integrated battery pack

That's just the thing, if you're using rechargeable batteries not a single battery gets used up in the entire lifetime of the controller. I've been using the same pack of rechargeable AA batteries since the late Xbox 360 era and they're still going strong enough for my tastes, not to mention I'd already have them anyway because of all the other stuff in my house that needs AA/AAA batteries. Granted I'm not a heavy controller user, but they've seen enough use and time to have killed at least one and possibly two lithium ion batteries. Everything being land waste straight out of the factory nowadays is a separate issue, but I'd argue removable standardized batteries are also a boon there because at least you aren't throwing out a working battery too.

However, while the best case battery waste scenario is better than built-in batteries, you do have a point that using the AA battery form factor at all means people that still haven't caught on have the option to use and waste disposable batteries, which is an issue. (Seriously people they're like twice the price of disposable batteries now. IKEA sells fantastic rechargeable batteries almost everywhere in the world get with the program.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I'm loving to see people's perspectives on this. As for controllers being tossed due to being cheap, I sincerely hope that isn't true. The controllers I got with my Xbox are very solid and a vast improvement over the Xbox One's controllers which I felt were cheaper feeling than the Xbox 360's controllers. 

• Always FSX you make a great point about people not immediately replacing the batteries with rechargeable variants, bad habits die hard and perhaps if that habit is too strong it could negate the potential waste issues I've brought up with built in proprietary batteries. 
  • BobVonBob I agree that people should buy only rechargeable batteries from now on considering while a bit pricier they save you a ton of money due to their incredible longevity (at least for the Energizer ones I've had since the Xbox One days) and the fact that AA batteries are much easier to replace for the general public, making them much more likely to do that instead of just buying a new controller. 
  • Always FSX please don't take this the wrong way, but your "anyone can replace them" mindset almost feels akin to MacBook Pro batteries being glued into their chassis making replacement much more difficult, but still possible so its supposedly acceptable (I despise the practice personally despite being in the Apple eco-system)

The question I see being pondered over here though is if rechargeable AA batteries produce more waste than the built in batteries we see in other competitor controllers. 

Between replaceability understandable to the general public and the long term likely longevity of the AA standard I still stand with AA batteries, I'd be curious to know this waste question. 

- Angela Hornung

I'd say it's a solved problem. If you don't want to replace the batteries constantly, buy a battery and charger combo pack for $25 or so and keep using the same batteries.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

when people use a built in battery they are building in planed opalescence. meaning that battery will die and they want you to go buy a new controller.....

but even with normal battery controllers you can still have problem with them like them leaking and cording the terminals.

i guess if people cared they buy better battery but what about stuff other use like used stuff...

and look at how Nintendo got a way with there joystics beaning broken... and they used it in there light consoles...ya there replaceable but there a pita too...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

when people use a built in battery they are building in planed opalescence. meaning that battery will die and they want you to go buy a new controller.....

but even with normal battery controllers you can still have problem with them like them leaking and cording the terminals.

i guess if people cared they buy better battery but what about stuff other use like used stuff...

and look at how Nintendo got a way with there joystics beaning broken... and they used it in there light consoles...ya there replaceable but there a pita too...

Oh I agree with you when it comes to Nintendo!!! I'll admit they're my more preferred gaming brand atm due to their quality releases but you are so right about that!!!

- Angela Hornung

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

Oh I agree with you when it comes to Nintendo!!! I'll admit they're my more preferred gaming brand atm due to their quality releases but you are so right about that!!!

ya agree i have 24 switch games...

one rumors there selling out and not making more but i dont no...🤷‍♂️

fun fact the wavebird use the same battery as the wii. sadly my rechargeable battery are done and i got a cheaper one and they seem not to work ether...so might be best to just use aa battery...🤷‍♂️

but i was looking at all my controllers and was like huh how am i sapos to charge all of them...witch now i got 4 usb hubs to charg em. replaced battery with now usb hubs and cables... alot of things dont come with the usb to plug adapter so now you have to go out of your way to buy thows... anyway my rant haha

some of my controllers...

c2.png

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

fun fact the wavebird use the same battery as the wii. sadly my rechargeable battery are done and i got a cheaper one and they seem not to work ether...so might be best to just use aa battery...🤷‍♂️

but i was looking at all my controllers and was like huh how am i sapos to charge all of them...witch now i got 4 usb hubs to charg em. replaced battery with now usb hubs and cables... alot of things dont come with the usb to plug adapter so now you have to go out of your way to buy thows... anyway my rant haha

c2.png

You like orange huh? XD

- Angela Hornung

Just now, AngelaHornung said:

You like orange huh? XD

ya...orange cost alot of money i would pick a different color if you want to save moeny...🤷‍♂️

i also have an orange console collection...

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

c2.png

Also no reason to apologize, a few of my friends have Dyslexia so I understand it can be very difficult. While no Shakespear I'm pretty good with language and your message wasn't too hard to understand so it all worked out fine! 🙂

- Angela Hornung

On 3/4/2024 at 2:46 AM, AngelaHornung said:

Charging for Xbox Live (I already pay for the internet, why do I need to pay you for permission to use my internet)

Then whom is going to pay for the upkeep of the servers used to provide this service?

Sony changed to requiring PS+ for online play from PS4 onwards and nintendo has also gone down the path of charging for online because providing something for nothing isn't financially viable.

Only the whole two sub debacle for playing the paid version of final fantasy 14 on xbox made me not want to support the game on said platform (considering that PS+ isn't required to play said game on playstation regardless of if you're a free trial or fully paid player because the game has its own subscription model).

2 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Then whom is going to pay for the upkeep of the servers used to provide this service?

Sony changed to requiring PS+ for online play from PS4 onwards and nintendo has also gone down the path of charging for online because providing something for nothing isn't financially viable.

Only the whole two sub debacle for playing the paid version of final fantasy 14 on xbox made me not want to support the game on said platform (considering that PS+ isn't required to play said game on playstation regardless of if you're a free trial or fully paid player because the game has its own subscription model).

How do PC games do it without charging? Would it not be possible to do P2P?

- Angela Hornung

2 things 

1: Xbox controllers are on par in price with Playstation's Dualshock 5 controller 

2: Lets be honest the rest of the controller will be broken before the battery is touched (I'm on my second Elite Series 2) and I know people who have burned through at least 5 controllers (for me the Right bumper broke and the alternative stick replacements wore out)

I own a PS3 and an Xbox one. I do like the AA's better, as I own eneloop batteries, and can just grab a new fully charged set when it dies. Reason I mentioned the PS3? I've had to replace the batteries twice on the two I own. It's not super expensive to replace them, I just prefer the fact that I don't need to think about doing that in the future. 

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

On 3/3/2024 at 8:37 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

You'd have a point here if the reason people threw controllers away was because their battery pack died.

But people throw controllers away because they've become cheap pieces of garbage with worthless thumbsticks and brittle buttons. The battery packs are still fine.

The next issue becomes that now you have a thrown away controller, and have used more batteries on a larger scale than if you had a controller with integrated battery pack. I doubt everyone who buys an Xbox controller immediately swaps the batteries inside for rechargeable variants. Ya know, seeing how often people complain about needing to replace the batteries.

The newest controller I have on hand right now, is a 360 controller I got at a work raffle back in 2014, that is currently connected to my laptop. I keep my stuff for a while. 

The next oldest ones are some PS3 controllers that I seldom use outside blu-ray duty, because the batteries last maybe 40 minutes at most nowadays. I can replace the batteries, but never really cared enough to bother, as It’s a bit of work to do so (not that it’s hard, just somewhat tedious), requires ordering online, and I can’t really use them (the controller, and the batteries) anywhere else. 

With the AA cells, not only do they take mere seconds to swap out, I’ve some potent flashlights at home that also run on AAs (Some of the Fenix and Lumintop ones use a single AA, and can crank out over 200 lumens at full power), and one of my camera flashes uses them as well. Not only do I benefit from easy replacement and availability, but also flexibility in that I’ve lots of things that can use them. 

That said, I’d really like to see controllers adopt more standard lithium cells. A 14500 LiIon cell is of similar form factor to a AA, but more than doubles the voltage, so a controller can easily run a single cell. Lots of single-AA flashlights can also run a 14500 for increased brightness too. 

18650 cells are relatively more commonplace (primarily due to vaping) but are too large for controllers, and many other consumer applications we’d want to actually use them in. I’ve a few for my more powerful flashlights. 

If we can figure out a standardized LiPo cell that many devices can use, I’d be on board with that too. Though that’s a massive pipe dream. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't mind either one and I tend to lean towards rechargable packs nowadays (mostly because batteries are so damn expensive) 
though typically I just plug in a usb cord and call it a day. I did wish that recycling batteries was easier

the batteries in a controller will last many many years. and by the time it dies, it will be so dirty that youll just buy a new one.

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!