I agree with Microsoft's decision to keep using AA batteries in their console

On 3/11/2024 at 6:52 PM, djksm said:

the batteries in a controller will last many many years. and by the time it dies, it will be so dirty that youll just buy a new one.

Thats the issue. What happens when they stop manufacturing these controllers? I have controllers for consoles from the 80s. 

- Angela Hornung

10 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

Thats the issue. What happens when they stop manufacturing these controllers? I have controllers for consoles from the 80s. 

its not hard to replace your battery. if someone cant, they take it to a repair shop. simple. also your controllers from the 80's do not have batteries.

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

3 minutes ago, djksm said:

its not hard to replace your battery. if someone cant, they take it to a repair shop. simple. also your controllers from the 80's do not have batteries.

I think you're missing the point. Its much more complicated for a user to do that, I'd be hard pressed to find a specialty shop that can do those repairs, proprietary batteries are much more likely to stop being manufactured than a standard like AA and I'm speaking in terms of future collectors. Right now it's not an issue yet as far as I'm aware as much older controllers are all wired, but that won't always be the case. 

- Angela Hornung

I genuinely do not understand why so many people defend the blatant anti-consumer practices of Microsoft. 

You don’t have to choose between removable AA batteries and built in lithium ion batteries. You can have hot swappable, rechargeable battery packs. Microsoft is perfectly capable of including them with their controllers but deliberately choose not to because it makes them more money. And you people vehemently defend this garbage. You’ll even shell out an extra $25 for what should be a basic feature of a $70 controller that has barely changed in like 15 years. 

It’s honestly so tiring hearing people defend a multi-trillion dollar company ripping them off. 

On 3/18/2024 at 4:24 PM, AngelaHornung said:

I think you're missing the point. Its much more complicated for a user to do that, I'd be hard pressed to find a specialty shop that can do those repairs, proprietary batteries are much more likely to stop being manufactured than a standard like AA and I'm speaking in terms of future collectors. Right now it's not an issue yet as far as I'm aware as much older controllers are all wired, but that won't always be the case. 

I can still get replacement GBA-SP batteries, thats about the oldest video game hardware I can recall with a rechargeable battery.

My problem with the PS5s rechargeable battery isn't the fact that I can't swap it out. Its that the battery life is incredibly poor. With haptics and adaptive triggers disabled it barely gets through an 8 hour nolife gaming session. My xbox elite controller lasts much longer.

That said, forget the batteries. The killer for controllers is stick drift for longevity, especially as these consoles go from current to vintage. Normalize easily repairable control sticks.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

disagree those batteries are annoying af and cost a lot...

why not sell a wired version? the best xbox controller i ever had was Xbox 360 "for pc" (by Microsoft) and it was wired.

guess what? no batteries required.  🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/23/2024 at 11:06 PM, vetali said:

I can still get replacement GBA-SP batteries, thats about the oldest video game hardware I can recall with a rechargeable battery.

My problem with the PS5s rechargeable battery isn't the fact that I can't swap it out. Its that the battery life is incredibly poor. With haptics and adaptive triggers disabled it barely gets through an 8 hour nolife gaming session. My xbox elite controller lasts much longer.

That said, forget the batteries. The killer for controllers is stick drift for longevity, especially as these consoles go from current to vintage. Normalize easily repairable control sticks.

tbf, the ps5 controller might be its worst iteration, tried them several times. mushy. heavy. one word: disgusting.

DUALSHOCK 3 was the GOAT (i still have several working ones) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/19/2024 at 12:08 AM, AngelaHornung said:

typically you can replace  "un-replaceable" batteries though tbf. sure it might be annoying but thems just the collectors things i guess.

they just don't sell  em like they used to anymore. 

although that's not entirely true either,  there are many 3rd party controllers that are wired and often they're better than the original. 

i have a razer wolverine v2 and it beats the heck out of an xbox "elite"... (in fact the xbox elite was so bad it never properly worked lol, insta refund)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 1:56 AM, Mark Kaine said:

typically you can replace  "un-replaceable" batteries though tbf. sure it might be annoying but thems just the collectors things i guess.

they just don't sell  em like they used to anymore. 

although that's not entirely true either,  there are many 3rd party controllers that are wired and often they're better than the original. 

i have a razer wolverine v2 and it beats the heck out of an xbox "elite"... (in fact the xbox elite was so bad it never properly worked lol, insta refund)

That sucks, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the Xbox controller, I personally love them. Though I will admit it is so hard returning to the Xbox 360 or goodness gracious the original's controller. 

- Angela Hornung

I bought two rechargeable battery packs for my Series X controller, they charge through USB-C and the cord they came with even has a charge indicator. I didn’t want to burn through a bunch of AA batteries, so for the ~$20 it cost me I’d say it was a good purchase.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1