Getting 9 year old to play games other than Roblox?

diegoaccord

As a parent myself I see roblox as inappropriate for minors. Plenty of information to back this up with a quick search, it's not allowed and I have given my children my reasoning why instead of just giving a my way or highway approach.

But to the point and again as a dad, your asking the right question but in the wrong way. It's not a matter of getting them to stop playing a game because you won't play it, it is amatter of introducing something you want to share with them that they will be willing to participate with you. Stop thinking about your wants but what they are willing to accept about you and what your sharing.

Sorry but it seems to me you're looking at this from a me perspective instead a them perspective. 

2cents

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 2/24/2024 at 12:14 AM, diegoaccord said:

Is there a gateway game that could possibly be used to transition into playing actual games?

Kid has a lot of games at their disposal, owns a Switch and a 3080 Ti PC. The whole ass PC only getting used is the PC for that one game.

I don't care that they want to play that game, but I'm always being asked to play it, and basically, I'm not. It's going to prevent gaming together from being a core memory. Like it had been for myself. At the time I got into games, it was me and my sibling playing with our father, but we played games that we all enjoyed. Like I recently found a CIB copy of game we used to play on NES, Bases Loaded 2. At that time, there were a lot of games that we could play together without it being forced. Because of how things are different, and what NPC kids play (Yes, I feel my kid is an NPC- but I'm not the only parent), there isn't a crossover. Also, I'm not going to force any games, they'll play what they want. It sucks, I keep being asked to play, but I'm not going to play Roblox, for more than 10 minutes, and she cannot play a real game for more than 5 minutes.

What do we do? Keep the status quo?

When I was 9 I played Minecraft... pretty harmless and family friendly... I still play minecraft... just dont get her into the online aspect untill shes older... just trust me

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor

Memory: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4

SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12G oc

Motherboard: Asus Prime B-450 A2

Case: MuseTex k2 Mid Tower

Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster S27D360

Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster S27B350

Keyboard: Razer Onata

Mouse: Razer Viper

On 2/23/2024 at 10:50 PM, diegoaccord said:

If you read the post, I said that I don't care what she plays: Literally RIGHT HERE.

If I wanted hyperbolic answers, I would have asked on reddit. 

But the point was if it's Roblox, then that core memory of 'gaming with dad' isn't going to be a thing. I also don't particularly care if it is a thing. But as I said, I keep being asked to play it. I feel bad, but not bad enough to play it. So...

I think you got it framed wrong here. It's about creating positive father and son/daughter experiences for them, not mainly for you. That's how you remembered the good times with your father. But what you're trying to do with your kids, is the opposite to that. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

"an NPC car" lol what would that be? a Prius? :old-laugh:

Plus, the concept of touching grass refers to something enjoyable, forcing your kids to do random activities as time fillers to avoid having them at home doesn't counts as touching grass as the kid will most likely think she has to do X or Y just because her father says so, that won't be a nice "family memory" when she grows up, and will most likely turn her hair blue/pink.

My parents made me become a ballerina to crush my tomboy manners, but it didn't work because I'm now a tomboy ballerina.

I dunno try a local minecraft server, make your own world and play using both PCs. Since you have a thicc wallet you can simply purchase two copies of the game and be playing in a minute, my friends and I had to make sure we all had the same Java version, a specific Hamachi installed and router ports open for everything to work lol but it was nice, the guy with the fast internet was the host and the rest connected to his server at night. I wasn't 9 tho.

Gaming with dad doesn't has to be a memory, like, I never played games with my dad because he knows crap about computers or consoles, he got me a famicom when I was a kid and I had to set it up to play because he's clueless about tech, there's a lot of other things that are far more useful than remembering playing vidya with your dad, mine are all related to the natural world, farming, gardening, raising animals and taking care of them, building a greenhouse, fishing (I dislike this one), hunting with a bow, using and taking care of firearms, working out, and a lot more. From my mom I got... mom stuff, treating wounds, herbal medicines, sewing, cooking, the sex talk, the dangers of a secular society and the scam of feminism, yeah, regular mom stuff.

All the technical stuff I learned from books, practice and lately internet. English I'd say it's 10% school knowledge and 90% unrestricted access to the worst possible sites on the internet, which is a good thing, it's complicated but I was trained in temperance so it's not monkey see, monkey do meaning I wasn't going to boil kittens in a pot after browsing 4chan for 5 minutes, during my teen years I took a particular interest in heresy (the how, and why), and the internet is the best source of knowledge for my research, -who reads and interprets grimoires nowadays?- when you look through my eyes it's pretty much everywhere, hence why it's easy for me to research it, I'm not like others who say "oh I don't wanna look or it could affect me and don't want to watch TV or use the internet", nah, I look at the devil in the eye and say yeah bro send all the heresy you want my way and it won't touch me.

Wait, how did this turn into a talk on heresy? oh, right, temperance, that's more important than having memories of playing vidya. I do recognise most people have no clue about what temperance is, if you read a dictionary it'll say it's a synonym of abstinence (from drugs/sex) but it's far deeper than that.

A minecraft server.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

On 2/24/2024 at 1:56 AM, Lunar River said:

what the hell does that mean?

They’re describing their child as “a normal child”. And normal children generally don’t give a shit and if the gaming pc is a Roblox machine, it’s a Roblox machine.
Different generations experience games differently. I was playing Roblox in 2008, right alongside basically anything else that was a social world game. Habbo hotel, smallworlds, RuneScape, etc.

But if you weren’t someone who enjoyed social games, you probably wouldn’t play all of those. 

Roblox now is a lot less social in some ways, and the audience looking at it doesn’t see it as a social game. They’ll be playing off of a specific interest. Maybe they like shooters, driving or racing games both sim and arcade, maybe it’s just sims-like roleplay and stuff. It’s a different scene now, find what games they’re playing and try to get a feel for similar stuff. If you don’t really know what games they’re playing on Roblox, you won’t know what specific types of games they might be interested in.

Maybe they’re playing… I had to look up the front page for this, Brookhaven, in which case maybe show them the sims 4.

If they’re playing MM2, show them gmod murder or ttt and they’ll experience gmod in general.

Maybe it’s just obbies, bust out mirrors edge.

And maybe they just won’t like any of that and just want to play Roblox and that’s also fine. 

Imagine calling your kid an NPC for playing something she enjoys while at the same time complaining that she won't just play the stuff you, the main character, are interested in. The gall of your kid having their own personality and interests separate from her parents, total NPC behavior right there. I hope the dripping sarcasm is obvious enough.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

If you want to spend time with your kid, do what they do. Don't force your own interests onto your kids.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This thread crashed hard, damn 😄

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

op the amount of disrespect you have to your child is amusing

first npc bro are you 5

second go play with her you [redacted] 

third playing with your child will go a long way come on op 

fourth do what makes your child happy once in a while 

wd-40 is god there is no other god than wd-40 wd-40 is the solution to all problems

Stating a bit of the obvious here but kids come with a lot of sacrifice and doing things you don't always want to.

Potential options:

• Force YOURSELF to take an interest in what they're into. I've never played the game but maybe there's an element to it that you can get behind and excel at. Your kid will likely be impressed if you do.
  • Introduce them to other games that might have similar elements, or are linked to another interest of theirs in some way.
  • Focus on some other bonding methods/activities and try to reignite those feelings of them WANTING to do something with you. They're obviously getting to an age where they're starting to be a little more independent but I think at least PART of the reason kids drift away from their parents is they let it happen (or at least may not take actions to maintain certain things).

For the people reading into the NPC comment too much - the majority of kids barely have their own independent thoughts (and can easily be manipulated otherwise if they do), so it's not an unfair thing to say in a sarcastic/joking manner. That said, if you feel your kid actually falls into an NPC category because of how they're interacting in the world then that's (partially) on you and how you're raising them.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

Honestly, you have to know first that the children are likely going to follow their parents’ actions.

With that in mind, try playing some games that you want to play with her when she’s around. She’ll likely notice the game and want to play it with you if it sparks her interest.

As for finding a game like that, I would try games like goat simulator or Minecraft that can be fun for most ages. Or maybe you just need to find a game on Roblox that appeals to the both of you.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

My take on this:

It should be about spending time with your daughter, because you enjoy spending time with her, even if the thing that you're both doing together is not enjoyable for you. Your daughter also obviously wants to spend time with you, so if she enjoys a particular video game, and you don't, so fucking what? She'll remember it as dad spending time with her.

I don't see the issue with accepting this. It's part of being a parent.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Man I don't see NPC as insult but yet so many angry posters.

To me NPC word is just people who likes most same things and follow what trends are without even looking for other things.

Oh well I've learned something today.🤷

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I think Roblox is not that great for a kid, given how the content on it can be ... questionable at times.

Time for terraria? or maybe Stardew

My childhood is filled with games on Xp, so pinball, Roadrash, those sort. Though I wasnt allowed much time in front of them.

Lego (and Lego Studio)? Its not strictly a game, but it could be a good tool to express creativity. better than those "child coding games".

I can see what op is asking here, and the questions is not bad. “I dislike Roblox but my daughter likes it, so are there any games that we might both like?” The problem is the rest of the post. Calling your daughter( a literal CHILD) an NPC (while not an insult per say, it is rude nonetheless) is pushing it a bit, calling the game she love “not a real game” is crossing a line. The question is a perfectly fine question to be asking, the way op asked it is beyond rude.

Answering the question now. As many people have mentioned by now, Minecraft, stardew valley, terraria, etc are all perfectly viable options. I would also recommend something to harden her up like MWII, y’know, expose her to the real world. On a serious note, I think that Bopl battles could be fun.

But really op, take 6 seconds to think of the way you phrased the post and the replies and rethink the way you did things.

15 hours ago, Milesqqw2 said:

calling the game she love “not a real game” is crossing a line.

Agreed. Whatever children you have throughout your life are going to like things that you think are stupid.

My parents think it's really weird the amount that I obsess over LMG and this forum.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:14 AM, diegoaccord said:

Is there a gateway game that could possibly be used to transition into playing actual games?

Roblox is and actual game if you like it or not.

I don't care that they want to play that game, but I'm always being asked to play it, and basically, I'm not. It's going to prevent gaming together from being a core memory. Like it had been for myself.

Maybe suck it up as an adult and create the core memory for the both of you.

Yes, I feel my kid is an NPC

I would be ashamed if i called my child this.

I keep being asked to play, but I'm not going to play Roblox, for more than 10 minutes, and she cannot play a real game for more than 5 minutes.

What do we do?

Suck it up as an adult and enjoy your time together without calling her an NPC...

This thread's quite a shiteshow from what I see. But to (try and fail to) answer OP's question:

Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection is now released on Steam, time to have your kid play the games we (read:I) used to play as a kid. Red Alert 2 in particular is the peak of RTS.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

9 hours ago, emothxughts said:

Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection is now released on Steam, time to have your kid play the games we (read:I) used to play as a kid. Red Alert 2 in particular is the peak of RTS.

If OP's child likes the game, cncnet.org would be the way to go to get that software. I really enjoyed playing that game with my friend way back in the way (we had Windows XP in like 2015 so there was not much else we could play on our computers lol).

Show them minecraft? Maybe with rtx and show them how cool it looks? Even for not techy people ray tracing is super cool and it might encourage them to play a different style of game. 

You can also try some other simple games like forza if you have it for pc. If not I think microsoft offers gamepass for PC. 

or maybe they are just 9 years old and just wanna play their simple roblox?

I'm usually as lost as you are

20 hours ago, emothxughts said:

This thread's quite a shiteshow from what I see. But to (try and fail to) answer OP's question:

you cant buy rl2 anywhere... other then a cd or pirit it🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you cant buy rl2 anywhere... other then a cd or pirit it🤷‍♂️

cncnet.org is a rebirth project of the game lol

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

cncnet.org is a rebirth project of the game lol

is this a fan made? cause we no how thows go... like the 3d crono trigger... shutdown

im guessing "hl3" was also shutdown...too...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

is this a fan made? cause we no how thows go... like the 3d crono trigger... shutdown

im guessing "hl3" was also shutdown...too...

This has been around for over a decade.