Fed up with Apple. What do I switch to?

Simply put I’m fed up with Apple. What can I switch to which one: I can switch to and can replace the Apple ecosystem, 2 not let me lose functionality, 3 be just as good, 4 have a phone, tablet and smartwatch in the ecosystem. It also has to be not nearly as gatekept as Apple and have similar performance overall. Note I mean raw compute, as nowadays all cameras and other things are mostly on par where I, a somewhat regular user cannot tell the difference.

till i come to to a conclusion on what to buy, what’s a way to ease compatibly between ios and windows, specifically on photo formats , video formats and transferring said data from ios to pc?

what’s the closest possible replacement ?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

1 minute ago, Indian pc builder said:

2 not let me lose functionality, 3 be just as good

That's going to be the tough part, nobody has their ecosystem as well integrated as Apple does.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Google offers smartphones, smartwatches, and laptops. On a Chromebook, you could use the Linux subsystem to run real programs when needed. But Apple really is king when it comes to a clean working ecosystem.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

4 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

what’s the closest possible replacement ?

Apple...

It's a tough choice. Migrating from a 5 year old Android device to a new Android device last year really showed the stagnation and devolution of the entire segment. You will have trouble finding IR face scanners and a Lidar on Android phones (the first one being the standard a few years ago), while you won't find fingerprint readers on iphones.

My 2018 smartphone had both. What a time to be alive...

But my biggest struggle with Android is still the lack of a system-wide backup solution. Most manufacturers have island solutions working with their devices, but getting apps, setting, call lists and SMS from a phone of one manufacturer to a phone from a different manufacturer really is a painful task. It took me several days to migrate all my data.

My recommendation would be the Galaxy line from Samsung, which should give you a similar "tailored" experience as Apple has it. And you will get the full support from their rather large ecosystem.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That's going to be the tough part, nobody has their ecosystem as well integrated as Apple does.

I would argue that the tight integration is one of the cause of the problems. You don't actually want that, you want something that's open to a "modular ecosystem" where you can pick and choose what meets your needs from many vendors.

12 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Google offers smartphones, smartwatches, and laptops. On a Chromebook, you could use the Linux subsystem to run real programs when needed. But Apple really is king when it comes to a clean working ecosystem.

No way I’m going near a Chromebook. I’m sticking to windows 

11 hours ago, NinJake said:

What made you "fed up" with Apple in the first place to decide to switch?

Everything. No repairability, no easy way to transfer files, walled garden everything.

in reality I’ll be fine if someone makes a solution to make doing stuff between iOS and windows better. See iPhones beat most if not all Androids in terms of just working, same with tablet, nothing beats an iPad, only mac. Bleuh, I’m never using mac. The os is the clunkiest most dumbed down piece of crap ever 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

2 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

See iPhones beat most if not all Androids in terms of just working

iPhones are very good at what they do, but I've had some pretty good Android phones. I currently have a Sony Xperia that I've daily driven for a few years and it just works. It's great.

same with tablet, nothing beats an iPad

Well you got me there, most Android tablets I've used are not very good. Windows tablets not any better.

Bleuh, I’m never using mac. The os is the clunkiest most dumbed down piece of crap ever

Well the hardware is very good, that's been Apple's strong point for some time, especially as of late. But the OS has gone downhill a bit -- back in the day OS X was rock solid, but these days it seems like macOS is more buggy and clunky than its ever been. I'd stay away from Chrome OS, and personally I don't find Windows great either. Go ahead and roll your eyes at what is coming next, but yes I am a Linux daily driver (specifically Fedora). I find that these days user-friendly distros like Fedora or Linux Mint really aren't that much more clunky or unstable than Windows or macOS. And I personally love GNOME shell and prefer it over any other UI of any OS, even pretending all things being equal, but that's my preference.

As far as avoiding walled gardens, its relatively simple. I self-host a server where I sync my files to. I have access on my phone, my laptop, my desktop, and my tablet, and they have no issue sharing with each other. Even my work Macbook can access things with the help of rclone mount. Aside from files, I have very strict discipline on what software I choose to purchase or sign up for:

• It must be cross-platform, no exception.
  • If it holds my data, it must allow me to both import and export, should I ever choose to leave the service.
  • Strongly prefer local-first software, ones that can save their data to my already-existing shared file server.
  • Avoid software created by a company with unfair incentives (e.g., don't buy software from the company that makes your device, or makes your operating system).
  • Strongly prefer software that uses standardized and open formats and protocols. For example, proprietary database for my notes is a big no-no, notes in a regular folder as Markdown files good, or a SQLite database good.
  • If deciding between two good products, if one is open source, prefer that one. Not for an ideological reason, but practical ones -- open source software can always be studied to reverse-engineer any nonstandard data storage or protocols it may use in the worst-case scenario.
  • Be skeptical of things that are free of charge but clearly require someone's ongoing cost (free SaaS for example).
  • Avoid using too many different things from a single vendor; that puts a lot of eggs into one basket.

switching platforms for that reason is liking jumping form the pot into pan.  They all have their downsides that make consumer life shit, that is why I haven't invested in any ecosystem or "smart tech" beyond a basic smart phone. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

For repairability, iPhone is probably one of the better ones as you can actually get them repaired. Should be ok with Samsung too, but for more niche Android phones, you're going to struggle for parts. Macs, and their non-replaceable SSDs, are terrible for repairability, I agree with you there. 

There is a feature in Windows that allows you to link your Android phone. That might give you the functionality you are looking for? I haven't tried it, being team iPhone, but someone in the thread might have done, and can comment?

22 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Indeed, even Microsoft with Windows and Windows phone were not well integrated. 
Though they are making strides with Android to make the it work better. Especially with that Phone Link thing.

Samsung with their phone, watches and earbuds are probably the best alternative to Apple as far as ecosystem goes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It depends on how you define "ecosystem". Android in the wider sense or do you want vendor specific added features?

I don't have experiences with watches as I haven't worn one in decades. For phones there's too much choice, but tablets might swing it. The current best two are probably the Google Pixel Tablet and the Samsung Tab S9. I own the older S8 but had it been released I would likely have picked the Pixel Tablet. Pixel phone plus that should be a great combo. Personally I don't like the modifications Samsung add in, and I always feel like I'm fighting it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Apple does there best to make their ecosystem exclusive to Apple. Though that means the apple ecosystem is completely "in house" and so it does just work out of the box very well. When you connect together devices made by different groups you inevitably need to fix all the places where they're not plug and play with each other, usually with a lot of configuring. That means if you want an ecosystem as good as Apple's you really need to be a power user and assemble/manage it yourself, which will give you exactly what you want because you make it yourself but it does take dedication lo learning it all.

Otherwise your best bet is to be exclusive to Google but that's not something I would call better.

5 minutes ago, BitGhost said:

Apple does there best to make their ecosystem exclusive to Apple. Though that means the apple ecosystem is completely "in house" and so it does just work out of the box very well. When you connect together devices made by different groups you inevitably need to fix all the places where they're not plug and play with each other, usually with a lot of configuring. That means if you want an ecosystem as good as Apple's you really need to be a power user and assemble/manage it yourself, which will give you exactly what you want because you make it yourself but it does take dedication lo learning it all.

Otherwise your best bet is to be exclusive to Google but that's not something I would call better.

I have no issues assembling, just what do I use for assembling though ? What hardware is good ?

9 hours ago, smcoakley said:

iPhones are very good at what they do, but I've had some pretty good Android phones. I currently have a Sony Xperia that I've daily driven for a few years and it just works. It's great.

Well you got me there, most Android tablets I've used are not very good. Windows tablets not any better.

Well the hardware is very good, that's been Apple's strong point for some time, especially as of late. But the OS has gone downhill a bit -- back in the day OS X was rock solid, but these days it seems like macOS is more buggy and clunky than its ever been. I'd stay away from Chrome OS, and personally I don't find Windows great either. Go ahead and roll your eyes at what is coming next, but yes I am a Linux daily driver (specifically Fedora). I find that these days user-friendly distros like Fedora or Linux Mint really aren't that much more clunky or unstable than Windows or macOS. And I personally love GNOME shell and prefer it over any other UI of any OS, even pretending all things being equal, but that's my preference.

As far as avoiding walled gardens, its relatively simple. I self-host a server where I sync my files to. I have access on my phone, my laptop, my desktop, and my tablet, and they have no issue sharing with each other. Even my work Macbook can access things with the help of rclone mount. Aside from files, I have very strict discipline on what software I choose to purchase or sign up for:

• It must be cross-platform, no exception.
  • If it holds my data, it must allow me to both import and export, should I ever choose to leave the service.
  • Strongly prefer local-first software, ones that can save their data to my already-existing shared file server.
  • Avoid software created by a company with unfair incentives (e.g., don't buy software from the company that makes your device, or makes your operating system).
  • Strongly prefer software that uses standardized and open formats and protocols. For example, proprietary database for my notes is a big no-no, notes in a regular folder as Markdown files good, or a SQLite database good.
  • If deciding between two good products, if one is open source, prefer that one. Not for an ideological reason, but practical ones -- open source software can always be studied to reverse-engineer any nonstandard data storage or protocols it may use in the worst-case scenario.
  • Be skeptical of things that are free of charge but clearly require someone's ongoing cost (free SaaS for example).
  • Avoid using too many different things from a single vendor; that puts a lot of eggs into one basket.

As much as i am would really consider daily driving linux, it is very much on the opposite extreme of Mac OS in the fact that you just have too much granular control and, while I most definitely love tinkering with stuff for obscene amounts of time, Windows in general is in the goldilocks zone where it has the ability to do everything i ask of it. Saying that, i really wouldn't mind using linix and havde actually considered dual booting it for when i upgrade this laptop.

10 hours ago, Lunar River said:

switch to what has the features you want. don't go looking for another "ecosystem" otherwise you'll find yourself in the exact same place.

Very very good advice

2 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

For repairability, iPhone is probably one of the better ones as you can actually get them repaired. Should be ok with Samsung too, but for more niche Android phones, you're going to struggle for parts. Macs, and their non-replaceable SSDs, are terrible for repairability, I agree with you there. 

There is a feature in Windows that allows you to link your Android phone. That might give you the functionality you are looking for? I haven't tried it, being team iPhone, but someone in the thread might have done, and can comment?

Fairphone. But also i don't really care about repairability, considering that most androids also have the benefit of being able to be handed over to a small local repair shop that can make it run, with maybe some non official replacement parts and stuff, plus most flagship phones are made with decent quality parts and don't break very easily in the first place, and also i take good care of my devices.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

switching platforms for that reason is liking jumping form the pot into pan.  They all have their downsides that make consumer life shit, that is why I haven't invested in any ecosystem or "smart tech" beyond a basic smart phone. 

Life lessons. De-tech yourself-mr moose. While I agree, unfortunately that isn't going to be a viable option for long.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Indeed, even Microsoft with Windows and Windows phone were not well integrated. 
Though they are making strides with Android to make the it work better. Especially with that Phone Link thing.

Samsung with their phone, watches and earbuds are probably the best alternative to Apple as far as ecosystem goes.

See the only real integration i need is between the phone and the watch. That and the ability to do file transfers in like a good way (plugging it into a Windows pc ) is really all i will ever need. Also the ability to download the onedrive app for photo backups, but that's pretty much guaranteed

On the side track of watches, is there any non apple watch that can make calls like the apple watch can without being within 10 feet of the phone i.e be added to the cell plan like apple watches can and function almost independently from the phone in all respects?

Google would be a good competitor, especially as i don't think they gatekeep nearly as much, partly bc android is the standard for many other companies as well.

Depends on what you want, you could start with a list of things you currently use apple for and then look for what replaces them.

1 minute ago, Indian pc builder said:

What hardware is good ?

For most objects in a home ecosystem, the most popular items will be sufficient. Whatever mainstream smartwatch should be fine. A mid tier phone is probably fine. You don't do heavy work on every device, so probably get a heavy-duty pc for work that will also host things like your camera controls. Or split that into a PC and a lighter server. The auxiliary devices are probably just screens with an internet connection for your work case, and don't do tons of processing.

Just now, BitGhost said:

Depends on what you want, you could start with a list of things you currently use apple for and then look for what replaces them.

For most objects in a home ecosystem, the most popular items will be sufficient. Whatever mainstream smartwatch should be fine. A mid tier phone is probably fine. You don't do heavy work on every device, so probably get a heavy-duty pc for work that will also host things like your camera controls. Or split that into a PC and a lighter server. The auxiliary devices are probably just screens with an internet connection for your work case, and don't do tons of processing.

what are good replacements for the iphone, ipad and apple watch? those are the only things i use so far

Heres the thing: Apple by far has the best ecosystem of any manufacturer out there. There are some others, but their integration wont be as smooth. It will certainly be better than having a pixel, an samsung tablet, and a fitbit but dont expect the same kind of easy communication. Your best bet will be google or samsung, depending on what you find important based off their products. If you are in China (or another market that has them) you could also look in Xiaomi and see if they have offerings you like. 

1 hour ago, Indian pc builder said:

what are good replacements for the iphone, ipad and apple watch? those are the only things i use so far

For the phone I use a Pixel with a ROM. All phones are going to be variations of just a few devices with the manufacturer adding extra software. I don't want extra manufacturer software so I paid extra for an unlocked phone, but it's something you need to research a lot.
For watches they are almost always just a second phone screen so as long as it has the sensors you want I would get the one that looks the best.
For a tablet there's a bunch of android tablets which are basically a big phone. There's phones that unfold into a small tablet which seems convenient but also has drawbacks. There's the Microsoft surface which I would avoid. There's laptops that fold around 360 like the pavilion. There's some neat outliers like the ASUS ROG Flow Z13. Or finally there's getting a wireless touchscreen monitor but I wouldn't do that either.

It's kind of hard to point you in a direction without knowing where Apple's products are falling short for you.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Short answer is you won’t. 

It’s also difficult when you haven’t said the actual issue. Apples devices are very efficient, mostly trouble free and work well together, it’s kind of their thing. They’re not the best at any one thing but they’re generally in the top three in all areas making them a round package that notuing else gets near so without knowing the specific thing your want it’s difficult to recommend anything. 

The problem is not that Apple devices work together efficiently, it’s that getting to work well with anything not Apple is very hard, is there a company who’s tablet phone and smart watch,( THOSE ARE THE ONLY DEVICES I NEED TO REPLACE AS EVERYRHING ELSE I USE IS ALREADY NOT APPLE), that work decently together and more importantly don’t gate-keep their ecosystems and also work decently with other devices from not their ecosystem ?

Again, why do threads keep going cold?

I did the switch from Apple to Linux many years ago when my last MacBook Pro with replaceable battery, ram etc... died.

I replaced it with a Thinkpad with Linux Mint on it and replaced my Iphone with a Android phone and i never looked back. I even replaced the Mac Mini my mother used with a bigger Thinkpad with Linux Mint and it works just fine for her. But that was so long ago that there was no Apple watch and i never used a tablet. I also never used a lot of the ecosystem features.