Fed up with Apple. What do I switch to?

hawuei. it has a really good integration. heres a video.

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

On 1/25/2024 at 8:14 PM, Indian pc builder said:

No way I’m going near a Chromebook. I’m sticking to windows 

Everything. No repairability, no easy way to transfer files, walled garden everything.

in reality I’ll be fine if someone makes a solution to make doing stuff between iOS and windows better. See iPhones beat most if not all Androids in terms of just working, same with tablet, nothing beats an iPad, only mac. Bleuh, I’m never using mac. The os is the clunkiest most dumbed down piece of crap ever 

No easy way to transfer files?  What problem are you having, I find transferring files easy.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:30 PM, Indian pc builder said:

The problem is not that Apple devices work together efficiently, it’s that getting to work well with anything not Apple is very hard, is there a company who’s tablet phone and smart watch,( THOSE ARE THE ONLY DEVICES I NEED TO REPLACE AS EVERYRHING ELSE I USE IS ALREADY NOT APPLE), that work decently together and more importantly don’t gate-keep their ecosystems and also work decently with other devices from not their ecosystem ?

I havent had an trouble with using Apple and pc togother.

I have a macbook pro and a desktop PC, the macbook pro runs Ubuntu and the desktop Debian. 

In addition, I also have an iPhone. But I back this thing up myself over wifi using a windows vm on my proxmox server. 

I bought a google pixel 5 a while back with the intent to run Calyx OS on it, and daily drive that. I got hung up on being tired of crappy pictures and stuff with SMS by my friends that refused to use Signal. 

I went through the whole process of setting up a Mac OS VM with working iMessage (my god this was a pain!) inside of Proxmox, just so I could use Airmessage with that Pixel. It was never reliable enough though... 

So I'm still using my 7 year old iPhone X. Lol, literally just because of iMessage

(I already carry 2 phones, 1 for work, I don't want to carry 3 -_-... I wish I could virtualize iOS on a pixel LOL)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:08 AM, Indian pc builder said:

Simply put I’m fed up with Apple. What can I switch to which one: I can switch to and can replace the Apple ecosystem, 2 not let me lose functionality, 3 be just as good, 4 have a phone, tablet and smartwatch in the ecosystem. It also has to be not nearly as gatekept as Apple and have similar performance overall. Note I mean raw compute, as nowadays all cameras and other things are mostly on par where I, a somewhat regular user cannot tell the difference.

till i come to to a conclusion on what to buy, what’s a way to ease compatibly between ios and windows, specifically on photo formats , video formats and transferring said data from ios to pc?

what’s the closest possible replacement ?

Why are you fed up? My Iphone 15 pro is a dream

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 1/26/2024 at 4:14 AM, Indian pc builder said:

No way I’m going near a Chromebook. I’m sticking to windows 

Everything. No repairability, no easy way to transfer files, walled garden everything.

There is nearly no phones on the market with any kind of repairability worth a crap. 

I don't follow you on file transfer between apple and pc, put a file in icloud drive and its there on your pc icloud drive, just install icloud. Same for photos. Its about as easy as can be. Or use drop box or onecloud or google drive or what ever. Transfer issues simply is a thing of the past.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:58 AM, HenrySalayne said:

But my biggest struggle with Android is still the lack of a system-wide backup solution. Most manufacturers have island solutions working with their devices, but getting apps, setting, call lists and SMS from a phone of one manufacturer to a phone from a different manufacturer really is a painful task. It took me several days to migrate all my data.

I have used the Google Drive back up and that has worked pretty flawlessly. The downside is you'll need to have a Google One subscription because I doubt you only have 15GB on your phone. I also just upgraded to an Samsung S24 from a Pixel phone and the change was as easy as just downloading the Samsung Smart Switch app on the old phone and plugging the old phone into the new one (could have also used wifi). The Smart Switch app will also let you back up to windows. The only problem is it will only restore to a Samsung phone.

To be fair to Samsung, you don't expect an iPhone restore to load on Pixel phone so I can't blame their back up app not working on a generic Android. I would love an app that does everything Smart Switch does for androids not Samsung though. I was really amazed at how seamless it was.

1 hour ago, fartmuncher69_420 said:

The only problem is it will only restore to a Samsung phone.

This. There is no universial way to backup and restore data. I used MyPhoneExplorer in the past, but because of changes to the underlying system it isn't as useful as it was a few years ago. Call history and SMS are basically gone. App settings and system settings are gone. It can just move data and apps over.

On 1/29/2024 at 5:27 AM, g335 said:

I havent had an trouble with using Apple and pc togother.

any help on how to do that? See when transferring files, im usuall transferring 15 gig videos between them

On 1/30/2024 at 1:55 AM, rikitikitavi said:

Can you elaborate?

Just, i don't like how mac looks and feels, you can't find any power user settings without going through the command line. Windows just has a gui for everything. Like mac doesnt even tell you its connected to ethernet it just says no wifi the entire time.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:06 AM, garethsnaim said:

There is nearly no phones on the market with any kind of repairability worth a crap. 

I don't follow you on file transfer between apple and pc, put a file in icloud drive and its there on your pc icloud drive, just install icloud. Same for photos. Its about as easy as can be. Or use drop box or onecloud or google drive or what ever. Transfer issues simply is a thing of the past.

the problem with cloud solutions is that they take time to move 12-15 gig files over the cloud, even i have onedrive setup both places for backups and such but i have issues moving large files

overall, i also have issues with no sideloading and stuff, which becomes annoying when an app that i need or want is not available, which also happens quite a bit

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.