Hot take: in 2024, 8GB of memory is enough for non-enthusiasts

I recently got gifted a used XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 laptop with a 7th gen i7 2c/4t chip and 8GB of memory, did a clean W10 install and got a cheap Amazon battery for it. I’m normally a Mac guy, I’ve got an iMac with a 10700K and Radeon 5700Pro, so I’ve got a performant computer for home, but I needed something to take to my MBA classes. 

I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now for school stuff, dozens of tabs in Brave, MS Office, and cloud gaming on Game Pass, so here’s my take:

8 GB of memory is enough for daily use, which for most normal people (that is, non LTT forum readers), can handle all the everyday things they need to do. 

Enthusiasts get so wrapped into our daily experiences of 16 or 32 GB of memory being needed for our uses so I’ve been genuinely surprised at how well this 7 year old laptop has held up performance-wise with a workload that is probably more demanding than what my parents would do on their machines (for example). To go along with that, credit to Microsoft and Dell for making some optimization improvements (on an admittedly high-end ultrabook for the time)

Hot take 4gb of ram is enough for those.

3 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now for school stuff, dozens of tabs in Brave, MS Office, and cloud gaming on Game Pass, so here’s my take:

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Extra spicy. I mean, paired up with a decent SSD to page to, you’re probably right, but 4GB memory and a decent SSD is probably an uncommon combo. 

9 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

8 GB of memory is enough for daily use

100% agree on this. 

Upgraded my mom's laptop from 4 to 8 gb ram (ddr3 that is) as well as from hdd to ssd some years ago. For everything she uses it for its still plenty, that being office, mails, Internet etc

Even my laptop, which I only rarely use, has only 8gb.

Got that one second hand for dirt cheap. I only ever use it when I build or troubleshoot computers somewhere else so I have a functioning system to download stuff or create a win install stick if needed. 

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

15 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

8 GB of memory is enough for daily use, which for most normal people (that is, non LTT forum readers), can handle all the everyday things they need to do. 

I mean.. some normal people play games on pc natively, so.. no?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

ya until you realize that "used laptop you had" Was roughly worth 600-700$ when it was released and didn't have 16GB of ram but only 8GB of ram? For that price I better get 16GB of ram. Considering you could also buy any of the numerous older variations or older laptops that come with a touch screen and probably if not as powerful as the current aged one.

Most laptops nowadays are asking outrageous prices for little to no bargain, the bargain being specs correct for the price. If i'm not getting 16GB at 700$ why in gods green earth am I willing to settle for 8GB? It's just a petty scheme to yoink peoples' hard earned cash w/o any of the benefits

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

On Windows? Not really. I see tons of PCs come in of varying age ranges with (typically) 4, 8, and 12GB configurations. The 4GB ones are always DOG slow, even though some of them are only a year or two old and would otherwise be fine with more RAM. 8GB (or I guess technically 6GB, but that doesn't exist with modern desktops or laptops) is really the lowest one would want to go, especially with Windows 11.

Modern Windows 11 tries to idle at like 4-5GB depending on how much shitware there is. When I got this laptop, after everything was settled in and it had time to calm down the lowest I ever saw RAM go was 5.2GB, and after a clean install of 11 I managed to shed anywhere from half to a full gig on that, depending how it feels that particular day.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I get by with 4GB of RAM in my laptops - I have a collection of 30 or so laptops from the Core 2 era that I use daily. I can have 6 or 7 web browser tabs open and a couple programs (on Windows 10 64-bit) but if I didn't have memory optimization software and a fast SSD for the page file, I'm sure even that would be pushing it. 

8GB is definitely enough for basic web browsing but won't get you anywhere with gaming nowaday.s

It’s more like windows sucks at memory allocation and has high resource usage overhead.

I don’t like Linux, but install Linux on a machine with 4gb of ram and everything runs smooth.

Meanwhile I have 64gb of ram and windows takes that as “welp, better cache all this useless shit in 12gb of it at idle”

I max the ram on every machine I own because ram is cheap. I have laptops from 2011 which have 16gb of ram even if they’ll never use it. Just because windows sucks and eats up all the ram.

31 minutes ago, Levent said:

You can even run Linux on a potato with 2GB I think 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You can even run Linux on a potato with 2GB I think 🙂 

"Run" is a bit of an overstatement imo.

It'll probably work, but not to a point where I would personally consider it useable.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Do you know how many N5100 laptops exist out there at $200-250 packing 64GB of eMMc and 4GB of RAM in single channel? Not even just Amazon alphabet soup crap, actual stuff from Dell, HP, Acer and Gateway. Those sell out like crack pipes in Detroit, and if people were returning them all, manufacturers would stop making them.

You're right, it's all about use case. Someone doing any level of gaming beyond the Win95 versions of Solitaire or Minesweeper is going to need 8GB on Windows. Even SkiFree is pushing it at 4GB on a Celeron-based CPU. But if all they're doing is reading email, watching 720p YouTube and browsing the web, they likely wouldn't even notice the difference between 4GB and 8GB and 16GB.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Agree with that. 8gb is fine for general tasks. In my general-use laptop, I have 8GB, and I have 32GB in my gaming PC

Hot take: 

Spoiler

32GB should be the new standard for gaming. Too many people use 16. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

4 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

"Run" is a bit of an overstatement imo.

It'll probably work, but not to a point where I would personally consider it useable.

i mean if debian, linux mint, and adelie linux run on my ancient PowerPC G4 system with 512mb ram, I think 2 is fine. Maybe Lubuntu would run the best. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

3 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

i mean if debian, linux mint, and adelie linux run on my ancient PowerPC G4 system with 512mb ram, I think 2 is fine. Maybe Lubuntu would run the best. 

Maybe I just haven't used the right distro. You definitely have a point here.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

9 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

32GB should be the new standard for gaming. Too many people use 16.

It already is, imo, if you're into AAA gaming. That being said, if you're not on the bleeding edge of gaming, you're probably not in need of 32GB. My main desktop has a Ryzen 5 5600 and 16GB of DDR4-3600, and I have no need (but admittedly a bit of desire) to upgrade. I suspect that if more gamers took a serious look at the requirements of the games they play, they'd be fine with similar hardware.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The PC I use at work has 8GB of RAM.

It's not enough. It's getting pinned out at 8GB doing some basic things like opening word, our in-house work software and a browser. Which slows everything up. Even more so when the slow HDD is failing to keep up. Run till fail mentality, man...

At home, it might be "ok" if all you're doing is basic web browsing and some word processing. But corporations have a ton of background processes that runs and use up precious resources. By default, windows 10 alone takes up 3 to 4GB of memory, this doesn't leave much on the table.

Heck, at home right now, I have over 8GB of used memory. Not sure how exactly 2678MB = 8.7GB of used memory... but it's using it.

image.png.94292f8fdc85dac6fb91cb951b417119.png

image.png.283b7903d9f4c0e8936cf96d8956c52c.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Heck, at home right now, I have over 8GB of used memory. Not sure how exactly 2678MB = 8.7GB of used memory... but it's using it.

Its counting ram its allocated for immediate cache for search indexing and often times, commonly used programs.

On older windows this was just called superfetch and you could disable it in services.msc which on something like windows 7 would save 500mb of ram usually.

But theres a whole bunch of stuff like that now which i doesnt show you.

Like edge right now says its using 474mb of ram for this tab.

Yet im at 6.5gb idle after a fresh startup, so its not even begun to fill my ram full of garbage yet.

tskmngr.thumb.png.c785b508cbd3499b6f12ec848314ac13.png

just windows being windows

i wish they didnt make it so hard to turn all this nonsense off

Based take the Apollo 11 landed on the moon and brought astronauts back alive with 2KB of RAM.

3 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Yeah... My note taking program guzzles up RAM like it is nothing (16GB are not enough), and my mum (who uses Word, sends emails and has at most ten tabs open) is still super happy about "how much her laptop improved" after I upgraded her HDD to an SSD and then again, when I added a 2nd 8GB stick of RAM. Her Windows install is hella old by now (much like how I feel) but she definitely noticed the SSD (not surprising) and extra RAM (kinda surprising).

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

3 hours ago, seanondemand said:

I recently got gifted a used XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 laptop with a 7th gen i7 2c/4t chip and 8GB of memory, did a clean W10 install and got a cheap Amazon battery for it. I’m normally a Mac guy, I’ve got an iMac with a 10700K and Radeon 5700Pro, so I’ve got a performant computer for home, but I needed something to take to my MBA classes. 

You have a slow CPU (nowadays) which is perfectly fine to be paired with 8 GB of RAM. It's not like 16 GB would make your computer any faster - just a little bit less slow when it runs out of memory.

The difference is that a modern machine is roughly 3 to 4 times faster than a 7 year old laptop. Handicapping the usefulness of such a machine with an inadequate amount  non-upgradeable memory is a cardinal sin. 12 GB should be considered the absolute minimum for any modern computer for more than $600. Even most phones have surpassed 8 GB of RAM.

With linux sure, not with windows. And I would never ask a non enthusiast to use linux. 

Its not "enthusiasts" that use ram-heavy applications. 8gb with the modern sandboxing of applications (and in the future, ALL applications) page file is the most unpleasant experience, and SSDs do not fix it.

Asking a non enthusiast to baby sit their ram usage on 8gb is a non starter.

There is also a major thing that most cheap laptops use IGPs, aka thats 2-4gigs of ram just gone from use. So even 12GB laptops with IGPs constantly page file. Arguing 12GB as a good starting point doesnt hold water, thats only valid if the computer uses a dgpu. An IGPU laptop/desktop needs 16GB minimum to not regularly hit page file, something intel is now forcing going forward with all new meteor lake laptops.

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

Its not "enthusiasts" that use ram-heavy applications. 8gb with the modern sandboxing of applications (and in the future, ALL applications) page file is the most unpleasant experience, and SSDs do not fix it.

See, I’m not sure i agree anymore - my experience is that i can run some pretty heavy tabs, PDFs, Word, Excel, across two different monitors, and have a pretty good experience - with the caveat that this is a Windows 10 machine with a reasonably quick RAM and SSD. 

I might even propose I would be ok giving up 16gb of ram for a nicer screen, body, battery, and ssd. 

21 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

See, I’m not sure i agree anymore - my experience is that i can run some pretty heavy tabs, PDFs, Word, Excel, across two different monitors, and have a pretty good experience - with the caveat that this is a Windows 10 machine with a reasonably quick RAM and SSD. 

I might even propose I would be ok giving up 16gb of ram for a nicer screen, body, battery, and ssd. 

I want to point out that DDR5 16GB is sub 40 USD for OEMS.
 image.png.84fc5cc0745fb7d2903aad54f1ff2805.png

LPDDR5 pricing, I do not know. but its what is often used with zen 2 laptops. 

DDR4 is sub 30 USD (used for zen 3)
image.png.321a932b8b618633f37abb2b8a873beb.png
image.png.6f88c1cb3997d56875fe924a932544e1.png

https://www.dramexchange.com/

A PC that doesn't page file regularly with 8GB with DGPU or 12GB with IGPU is worth more than 20USD. 
Not sure if any laptop comes with anything but SSDs these days due to the wattage they draw being significantly less than a HDD. I do agree a nicer screen is nice for the ability to use a laptop outside, or to have a convertible body with a touch screen.