Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

Its that the new stuff is bad, the lack of some of the stuff he used to do is the issue.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Yeah i understand Linus's arguments but i too think that the "older" subscribers have been forgotten...instead of glamour shot i subscribed because of the overviews that you dont do anymore...its not that the new stuff is bad, it just feels like its made for the "iphone generation", and not for hardcore PC enthusiasts...speakers, smartwatches, smartphones...yeah yeah yeah...its ok...ut give us what we like and what we like is GPU's, CPU's, motherboards etc...

| Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASUS P8P67 LE | i5 2320 w\ Xigmatek Dark  Knight Nighthawk Edition | ASUS GTX 550 Ti TOP | 8GB Kingston RAM | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Cooler Master G750M |

I vote for Linus to keep continuing what he does. IMO all his videos are exceptional and well detailed. 

Just throwing this out there.

Aside from me, I have five full time employees. We all work every workday, and I work at least a little bit every single day - that's 365 dedication, baby.

It took me over an hour on my 1000ms ping Internet while I was away on the island visiting family this weekend each night to release my videos.

People have NO idea what it takes to maintain a daily release schedule like we do...

Don't generalize Linus.  Nobody has an idea of what it takes to maintain a daily release schedule?  I am not that educated but I sure as heck am not stupid.  Please don't treat me and other followers as such.  I know it must be insane to try and put out daily releases and forget that work that goes into it in terms of video editing and such as I think just coming up with something interesting to talk about each and every single day of the year must be hard because you got to figure out what the audience wants and that can't always be easy.

Anyway again please don't generalize when talking about your followers.  I appreciate the hard work Linus Media Group does.  Trust me I do.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I believe our accessibility at Linus Media Group sets us apart.

Any member of our community has a direct line to any employee here through Twitter or other means. We don't always get to every message, but we do our best to read and respond to as much as we can.

That's why we have grown our viewership more consistently over a longer period of time than ANY OTHER TECH CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE EVER. Seriously, I don't make this stuff up. http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

Graphics, gotta love them. :D

The acessibility is really a great thing. Just yesterday i twitted Linus (I keep writing Linux everytime, weird!) and Slick about a new battery tech (double carbon). To my surprise Slick answered right away! That was only the second time this happened to me (first one being Patrick Rothfuss answering me on Facebook). And it was really nice.

Don't know if it will continue to be so with the growth of the channel, but this very forum and this thread, for that matter, is proof that Linux and crew really care about their community.

I just discovered LinusTechTips and I love it. I watch the WAN Show and various videos. I think this guy might be one of those people that can't take change, just want "everything to be the way it was". (I'm a little like that too, so...) But life is change. Linus is getting more professional, making a lot of investment on equipment and hiring people to take care of production. In my opinion the content is still great (i watched older vids too).

Just throwing this out there.

Aside from me, I have five full time employees. We all work every workday, and I work at least a little bit every single day - that's 365 dedication, baby.

It took me over an hour on my 1000ms ping Internet while I was away on the island visiting family this weekend each night to release my videos.

People have NO idea what it takes to maintain a daily release schedule like we do...

What happened to lining up videos before hand for such events? Just saying. You've mentioned before that you guys do that, so I don't see why that was an exception. 

I mean, unless you stopped. Because I also know you mentioned how Youtube's timer for the releases was bunk or something similar.

Yeah i understand Linus's arguments but i too think that the "older" subscribers have been forgotten...instead of glamour shot i subscribed because of the overviews that you dont do anymore...its not that the new stuff is bad, it just feels like its made for the "iphone generation", and not for hardcore PC enthusiasts...speakers, smartwatches, smartphones...yeah yeah yeah...its ok...ut give us what we like and what we like is GPU's, CPU's, motherboards etc...

This sort of summarizes how I feel I guess. Although I'd watch any of that as long as Linus was doing it how he did videos in 2012. 

Ya know what, I aint even mad @LinusTech. A little sad, but not mad. Since you've read my posts, I won't bother writing it again (it'd be pointless), but I will say thank you for the awesome channel you've made (and of course the rest of LMG). 

Things change. Tis life. I think this adequately summarizes things tbh.

Also, look up ASMR Linus. A parody video of something like that would be fun (maybe not make it as long).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think while Linus won't want this I think the OP and others need to learn to do things in moderation.  I found after awhile that too much tech was well just too much.  I stopped tuning into The Wan Show every single week and stopped watching so many videos.  If you don't learn to do things in moderation they can get old and stale for you.  Maybe the OP partly needs to step back from this all for awhile and come back to it and see if he can appreciate what Linus and the rest of the gang are doing.

Now let me say this also ...

I think some people need to realize that this is about money and when money gets involved things often get worse.  Blame mankind and the world continuing with commerce as I believe it is bad and does ruin some things.  I honestly can say it is ridiculous that it is considered normal for Linus and others to spit out YouTube videos every single day or pretty close to it.  You can't say things don't get worse in a way if you do that.  You are selling yourself more now than ever to make more money and I do think it reflects in what you do now Linus.

Also enough with the ****ing phones already.  Each and every single week there seems to be a tie in to them.  

As long as I get my WAN show fix, s'all good bros.

Hear hear!

Is the WAN show made of illegal substances? Because I'm addicted to it. Seriously, Linus x Slick interaction is both entertaining and informative in the just right measure.

I think it's great that Linus is covering all aspects of tech. There is only so much to cover on the PC side. The PC industry has slowed to a crawl where new products are just minor improvements. My only wish is a more brief advertising. Thanks for listening to your viewers Linus. YOU DAH MANNNNN

I think it's great that Linus is covering all aspects of tech. There is only so much to cover on the PC side. The PC industry has slowed to a crawl where new products are just minor improvements. My only wish is a more brief advertising. Thanks for listening to your viewers Linus. YOU DAH MANNNNN

I agree that he needs to cover more than just pc stuff but does it have to be Google, Android and ****ing phones all the time?  Seriously where is more coverage of the little guy trying to make it big coverage?  He needs to stop talking about all the stuff everyone else talks about all the time on their shows on his show.  Too much time is spent on subjects that are the same old, same old garbage. 

Does Linus remember being the little guy?  I think he needs to reflect on where he started and realize there are little guys out there watching him and we don't want to hear about what big corporations and government agencies are doing every single freaking week.  Where are the stories about the up and comers?

Also can we get a dedicated writer and video producer for gaming content?  There is not enough on Linus Tech Tips and I am tired of putting up with the garbage that GameSpot and IGN push out.  GameSpot has gotten considerably worse this year.  There is a place for something other than those two big companies talking about pc and console games.  Linus Tech Tips needs someone dedicated to this stuff to save us from this other garbage.

Oh god, the creepy Linus coming out of the box?

Hahaha yes!

I keep hearing that they want to see Linus at Computex. But since it's so expensive, he may not be able to go, especially without sponsors. Maybe we should set up a fundraiser here on this forum?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well if means anything I have changed my opinion from my post way back on page 2.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I know this will draw hate as is common on criticism, keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm sure Linus will do fine when shifting his content on to a different demographic altogether. Afterall, smartphones and general consumer gadgets are popular watching and I'm sure many of Linus' new audience is here and ready to defend him. But this is constructive criticism, so I would appreciate the same gesture in return.

Having been watching LTT for a long time, it has gone increasingly downhill over a long period of time for me:

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.
  • Random WAN show guests that I very often find to be irrelevant and annoying. Getting that weird uncomfortable YouTube "buddy club" vibe that just kind of smells bad to me. Josh from Fractal being an exception.
  • Why go to PAX? There are hundreds of YouTube channels doing PAX. Just why?
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

But the final step that is probably going to make me unsubscribe, is not going to Computex. Seriously, that is gutting. That is a stone-cold knife in the back to the original audience of the channel, to whom Computex is probably the highlight of the entire year, after the huge thrill of covering it last year. I could forgive anything from Linus but not that.

It makes me sad, as Linus Tech Tips has been my very favourite channel for years, but now it is my least favourite of all my subscriptions.

My 2 rubel, anyway.

I completely agree with your points... every single thing you pointed out, he did it... but I didn't see that as them going downhill... I didn't exactly follow Linus since the incarnation but I do watch some of the videos from the early days (oh yes, including that first Linus' NCIX video... xD)

#1. whenever I jumped into 2014 last Jan, I expect such video quality from any professional youtubers that actually has media group with staffs. Maybe for you, they have become less opinionated or insightful but so far whatever information I seek from a product he does gave it and I like his presentation better compared to other people. So, perhaps it's just a preference here? But again, probably Linus will end up giving the same content compared to other reviewers and just different presentation style? Well, the way Linus present a product is why I watch Linus' vids anyway...

#2 I actually like when he did some differentiation in the product he reviewed. Seriously, some of the thing he reviewed, I dont even know it exists before (yes, like that wi-fi plant humidifier or something). I see that as a plus, it's probably not many people who actually review such product so why not?

#3 I dont exactly mind... I subscribe few tech channel but one that I always checks for new videos on new products is from Linus... Same release date, but if the others can't attract me to it I don't see a reason why Linus should make his earlier or later. But it's me... I dont know others... Even if somebody else make a review for any product earlier than Linus, I still want to know what Linus has to say about it... Even if I take most reviews with a grain of salt, Linus' words has more weight and credibility for me... (probably this makes me Linus fanboy????)

#4 Random guest... I dont know... I don't feel bad, probably coz I dont know them and watching WAN show makes me know more youtubers... more resource for me to check out to... but if I ever get bored with it, I just don't watch it... I do find sometimes the show does get boring I just stop watching it...

#5 If you're being sponsored to go, why not? Again, presentation style... I watch Linus' (or Luke's) coverage more than others. actually, I only watch Linus' and Tek's for the last PAX. so, if Linus didn't do it I probably lost half of my information from PAX?

#6 You has a point here. Not much interesting new stuff... but if the company doesn't want to reach out to them and give samples, what they are going to review?? I know they can fork out their own money to buy stuff but if they don't have the budget at this moment (yeah, like I know if they do or do not) you can't blame them...

and not going to Computex. Probably they just can't get any sponsors. Looking at how LMG is very aggressive with sponsorship nowadays, I guess they really don't have the budget. After all, even last PAX only Luke that's doing all coverage. Linus didn't go and I can imagine it's 100% sponsored too...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I kinda agree but i dont mind that much, tho i miss the videos without script because you sometimes gave random info that i didnt know about about some old school stuff like you do on the wan show.. i dont mind if you drop the quality of the editing and brolls if you spam my feed with motherboards videos ill watch em all 

I saw all the computex videos... 

I actually felt like traveling with you guys... 

Someday LTT will have a separate channel only for Oculus Rift viewers.

THAT would be cool

I have been watching watching Linus for about 2.5 to 3 years now. While I respect your opinion I completely disagree. I find that Linus's videos have changed from something relative to a reference that I use, to an entertainment outlet. While I still reference linus's videos I look to them more now as something that I can replace the drivel on tv with. YouTube is a rapidly changing medium that is still in its infancy in the scale of what it will eventually become. It is important to change with it or get left behind. I love hardware just as much as the next guy on this forum, but I find it refreshing that one of my favorite channels on YouTube is not one dimensional.

I still do watch and enjoy LTT, but I do agree with OP. It may not be long before I unsubscribe. I think the Wifi Plant Humidifier was kinda neat and think it was a fine thing to do and I think the WAN show guests are usually pretty cool. However, ultimately, OP is right. EVERYONE uploads reviews for the same thing at the exact same time, so the content LTT is releasing is rarely unique. The last thing I purchased after watching a video from LTT was a Swiftech ApogeeHD, and I've seen like 97% of all his videos since then. As a content creator, I think LTT would be better off shooting lesser quality videos and getting more content to us faster.

LTT still is great, but I do notice the decline.

We have to always live room for change guys. I have to accept his becoming boring_the only thing hold us ryt now is loyalty_

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

I sort of agree with these points. I first subscribed 4 years ago, and I consistently watched almost everything Linus put out since then, up until some time last year. Now I find myself only watching a handful of LTT videos a week, where as I used to be watching several of them daily. 

I certainly appreciate the improvement in quality that Linus is striving for, even though the old unprofessional style was just as enjoyable for me. What I don't like is that it seems that improvement in quality has directly effected the quantity of interesting products that are shown. Just skimming through the past while, all I see is keyboard, keyboard, mouse, speakers, phone, keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, phone (in no particular order). Mixed in is a bit of the stuff I'm interested in, including some cases, motherboards, laptops, RAM, graphics cards, etc., but it's all big name, popular products that everybody else is covering.

I still enjoy the videos, and I will keep watching, but I agree that there is less enjoyable content. I also hope that Linus is taking all the constructive criticism like a man. If not, I'm available for hugs.  

There are a lot of conflicting opinions in this thread, but I believe through all of it that we can all agree on one thing:

MORE CATTIPS.

I think that this could be partially solved by maybe having some more content on games, and software. This is because although the massive and revolutionary changes in computer hardware has slowed down, software progression is still very prominent.

Whether this would be another channel (likely) under LMG, or not, it is a way to provide more engaging computer based coverage. This would also allow the hardware coverage to continue, and could lead to interesting perspective on what software applications may work best with which hardware, why, and for what purpose. 

I think that this could be partially solved by maybe having some more content on games, and software. This is because although the massive and revolutionary changes in computer hardware has slowed down, software progression is still very prominent.

Whether this would be another channel (likely) under LMG, or not, it is a way to provide more engaging computer based coverage. This would also allow the hardware coverage to continue, and could lead to interesting perspective on what software applications may work best with which hardware, why, and for what purpose. 

This is actually a good idea. 

Software segments would be interesting. Roccat Power Grid, NZXT's new CAM (and apparently more is coming), and other software that's cool for PC people.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.