Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

Someone mentioned the expensive equipment Linus is using now.  I don't undrstand why they need an $8k camera for YouTube, which compresses the quality to oblivion anyway lol.  I mean honestly.  I guess it's great for the commercials they have been shooting, but talk about overkill for youtube.  

I mean, this entire operation could be done by Linus, Slick, and one editor, with equipment at 1/4 the cost.  And we'd probably get more videos lol.  But i guess they gotta spend all that money from all the companies paying them to make mini-commercials every week day.  I mean... "reviews".

I'm being too harsh.. I love Linus, I just feel like he doesn't care about his original subscribers anymore.  Like he's willing to trade us for a wider, younger, dumber audience, who likes stupid products.  lol

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

The only thing I miss is the unboxings

Indeed Linus does need to be more enthuisast tips as they are the people who watch his channel. I couldn't care about some generic gaming mouse more than a decent video.

And that 4K camera!!!

Why you no make 4k videos with it!!

I don't want BS about downsampling because sure if I downloaded it raw I would see a difference but now when blooming compressed to high heaven!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Wait, so you don't want him to go to pax but you want him to go to computex? And linus is still reviewing motherboards and GPUs and enthusiast stuff like that, what he always did. If you want someone to recommend BAGS for you to buy, you're at the wrong place, mate.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

I think he has matured rather than changed, I mean he has moved where the tech had moved. I.e. new phone and tablets and ways of computing. Motherboards and CPU's have stagnated these past few years, it would be boring if that is all he posted. Instead he has a little bit of something for everyone, he's a true tech enthusiast! I would wait until he has a stronger team put together, that way they can branch out more. I mean if he was held to the same standards as the OP wishes then the man would never be home. He has a family and a life outside of YouTube and the forum, he gas a child and 2 kitties lol. I would go insane if I were to talk about tech all damn day!

Linus, you are doing a great job, the quality of your videos are some of the best in the genre and I commend your efforts to branch out and make a name for yourself. I have been a long time subscriber (5 years almost) and I can't wait to see what you have in store for the next 5 years. <3 cheers!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

My main problem is he is being professional in order to appease to all companies and he lost some or that "magic" he had when he was doing un boxing videos and that type.

I can tell they can still make the best un professional videos but they just don't. (eg sausage hunt)

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Only thing I dislike and I know it's a evil necessity but sometimes it seems like he rushes through whatever he's reviewing in his 10 minute video so that he can spend the last 4 minutes advertising his sponsors. But thankfully it's at the end of the video.

Start your own channel?

I don't agree with the point of this thread, but we are allowed to criticize video games and movies relentlessly and are rarely told to do better because we just don't have the means. Same with starting a channel and trying to make a scene on YouTube where there's already so many tech channels, it would require a lot of luck and isn't really much of a counter argument.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

What Linus does has incredible value for people like me who wanted to make the leap to building a PC after being a "console guy" for most of my life. 

There isn't another channel that does build guides and videos like the "tech quickie" series that explain the ins and outs in such a detailed, clear, and yet not at all patronising way. I don't think I'd have had to confidence to do my first build without them.

If you look at the majority of channels that do build guides - they seem to be "by builders for builders" - they assume a level of knowledge on the part of the viewer, don't show everything clearly and explain everything that is happening in detail, and rush through critical parts assuming the viewer already knows how to do everything. None of them act as tutorials to the extent that Linus' do, most come of as as "let me show off my building skills" videos that are little help to anyone but their own egos.

I'm not really going to comment on or battle against the criticisms - his reviews can come across a little like adverts sometimes - but I do think what he is doing is very valuable for growing the PC scene.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

Well said Linus. I think it strange that people seem to want to watch 10 videos a day of you opening product boxes to read the packaging and go "So this is gigabyte motherboard number 297 and wow this one has an extra sata port"

Honestly content like that I would not watch. Tech is expanding. It is no longer just PCs. Look at how technology is expanding, google glass, VR, tablets and phones. Look at how many people have "beats" and other expensive headphones, how many have iphones and samsung galaxy phones. 

The PC Enthusiast is becoming less and less relevant as technology becomes more powerful, more convenient and cheaper to buy.

This will be an unpopular opinion, especially on this forum but you guys fail to understand the average consumer. We are in the minority as enthusiasts. I mean look what you can do now on smartphones and tablets. Look how modern games consoles can play high end games, even record and stream them to twitch. YES the experiance is better on PC, we can do 3d, 4k, gsync, sli blah blah. I love that stuff, I hope it never goes away.

But you have to face the facts that technology is adapting, as an audience we have to adapt too. If all you want to watch is Linus unbox 23 different 780 graphics cards, spend ages making slick bench them, and create a graph showing they are all the same thing which we knew anyway, then I am not sure the channel caters for you. Will he review the card? Yes, but probably just once, get it benched, comment on its performance and price and thats it. 780 done, unless something crazy or interesting comes along

Maybe I am one of the few that can see this, maybe people will agree or disagree. 

At the end of the day, Linus and his team see the numbers. They can see which videos get views and which dont. While there are some die hard fans that will watch power supply review number number 80 million, if he only gets 2000 views, whats the point? nobody is watcing. If he can review something cool, useful or interesting/different and get 80000 views, then surely he should be making those. Videos people WANT to see, topics people are searching for.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't agree with the point of this thread, but we are allowed to criticize video games and movies relentlessly and are rarely told to do better because we just don't have the means. Same with starting a channel and trying to make a scene on YouTube where there's already so many tech channels, it would require a lot of luck and isn't really much of a counter argument.

Why? If you don't like what's out there you start your own channel. Yes to become big would take luck but that's completely the wrong mentality.

One thing I really want people who long for the good 'ol days to consider is this: Have I really changed, or have you changed?

The timing of this post is particularly interesting since it comes RIGHT AFTER I uploaded not one, but two motherboard videos in just a few days... What is more "classic LTT" than a motherboard overview video? Yes, it's better shot, and I have a chance to gather my thoughts BEFORE the video rather than during it (scripting), but is it POSSIBLE that you just don't need to hear about every motherboard anymore since there just isn't really that much to say about them?

The reasons you see me branching out are not due to a focus on money, but because I believe in the longer term it will be better for the audience. #1 is that I try not to say or do the same thing twice if I can avoid it. If that means that I don't unbox all three capacities of the same power supply the way that I used to, then so be it. #2 is that I let my own personal interests and projects guide the direction of the content because if I'm not actually passionate about it, you guys will clue in for sure and then this is all just pointless.

I'm sorry to those folks that aren't as interested in headphones as I am, but the content will continue to be about the things I think are interesting, not just PC tech.

Also some of the complaints here seem to be pure bandwagoning... The folks that are saying that *I* have sold out to ASUS because *Logan* made however many ASUS videos with JJ... Are you for real? CES coverage aside, I've made 5 ASUS product videos this calendar year. FIVE. If anything you guys should be hounding me about not adequately covering them given what a MASSIVE player they are in the PC space...

And frankly many of the other criticisms are like that... Calling what we do a commercial compared to the older-style unboxings is laughable. GO WATCH THE OLD STUFF. I'M LITERALLY READING THE BOX ON CAMERA. I have no prior experience with the product. It is PURE commercial. Now go watch one of our recent reviews (bear in mind not everything we do is something I'd consider a review) like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-6RwyFawE

Not a commercial. Contains many comparisons to other products. Ends with a recommendation against the product in the video.

As for us not going to Computex, quite frankly it's the viewer-base that spoke on this one. Last time I checked our Computex coverage last year got 1/2 as many views as our CES coverage, and cost our sponsors well over twice as much. You guys didn't care, so we aren't going this year.

CES 2013 coverage: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTxynknFjCZ2YVM_RiBgde7-

Computex 2013 coverage: 

It says a lot about who you are Linus when you only get a handful of complaints out of 73,000 members and you address them. I have known other forums who would just ignore it but you haven't . You are still trying to find your feet and trying to juggle around content to keep members, sponsors happy and trying to ensure your employees have a viable future . I tip my hat to you and good luck and keep going the way you are

It says a lot about who you are Linus when you only get a handful of complaints out of 73,000 members and you address them. I have known other forums who would just ignore it but you haven't . You are still trying to find your feet and trying to juggle around content to keep members, sponsors happy and trying to ensure your employees have a viable future . I tip my hat to you and good luck and keep going the way you are

I believe our accessibility at Linus Media Group sets us apart.

Any member of our community has a direct line to any employee here through Twitter or other means. We don't always get to every message, but we do our best to read and respond to as much as we can.

That's why we have grown our viewership more consistently over a longer period of time than ANY OTHER TECH CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE EVER. Seriously, I don't make this stuff up. http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

I'll concede that we have never experienced the same explosive growth that some others (notably Unbox Therapy and MKBHD) have, but our slow and steady approach with constantly evolving daily tech content has continued to be a winning formula over the years, and you can expect it to continue for many years to come... Whatever form it might come in...

I believe our accessibility at Linus Media Group sets us apart.

Any member of our community has a direct line to any employee here through Twitter or other means. We don't always get to every message, but we do our best to read and respond to as much as we can.

That's why we have grown our viewership more consistently over a longer period of time than ANY OTHER TECH CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE EVER. Seriously, I don't make this stuff up. http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

I'll concede that we have never experienced the same explosive growth that some others (notably Unbox Therapy and MKBHD) have, but our slow and steady approach with constantly evolving daily tech content has continued to be a winning formula over the years, and you can expect it to continue for many years to come... Whatever form it might come in...

Keep going mate. As I said above, I doubt I would have had the confidence to build my first PC without your videos, I really appreciate that there are tech guys out there who make the extra effort to be accessible to newcomers.

I do think that Linus has been focusing a lot less on PC tech lately. Linus where are all our tech vids?

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I do think that Linus has been focusing a lot less on PC tech lately. Linus where are all our tech vids?

Sorry, but Linus doesn't have any control over the release schedules of new tech. How many times can you unbox a GTX 780?

i like the effort that went into the visual quality of the videos but i also don't find many of the videos interesting anymore. mostly because it's about some kind of gadged, a phone or anything else not-pc-relevant.

slick has gotten very good in front of the camera by now, i would like to see a "separation" of pc only stuffs covered by slick and whatever else by linus.

I dont like that he puts out less videos per week, i understand that he hires a lot of people these days and has a family so he needs to make money, im completely fine with his videos at the moment even compared to before and its very clear that he and his team put a lot of effort into the videos, it sucks that he isnt going computex and that is a shame but its out of his power, i dont currently think he has the funding to go, normally he is sponsored but without a sponsor that is close to impossible. i dont want him to push his team too much trying to make more videos> it really does make me wonder whether he actually makes that much money considering he now has 5 employees, paying all of them, paying himself, buying the insane amount of equipment, i hope he isnt in debt especially when he has  a child and a second one coming.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well two most watched LTT videos on youtube is unboxings of a toy.  :)

One thing I really want people who long for the good 'ol days to consider is this: Have I really changed, or have you changed?

The timing of this post is particularly interesting since it comes RIGHT AFTER I uploaded not one, but two motherboard videos in just a few days... What is more "classic LTT" than a motherboard overview video? Yes, it's better shot, and I have a chance to gather my thoughts BEFORE the video rather than during it (scripting), but is it POSSIBLE that you just don't need to hear about every motherboard anymore since there just isn't really that much to say about them?

The reasons you see me branching out are not due to a focus on money, but because I believe in the longer term it will be better for the audience. #1 is that I try not to say or do the same thing twice if I can avoid it. If that means that I don't unbox all three capacities of the same power supply the way that I used to, then so be it. #2 is that I let my own personal interests and projects guide the direction of the content because if I'm not actually passionate about it, you guys will clue in for sure and then this is all just pointless.

I'm sorry to those folks that aren't as interested in headphones as I am, but the content will continue to be about the things I think are interesting, not just PC tech.

Also some of the complaints here seem to be pure bandwagoning... The folks that are saying that *I* have sold out to ASUS because *Logan* made however many ASUS videos with JJ... Are you for real? CES coverage aside, I've made 5 ASUS product videos this calendar year. FIVE. If anything you guys should be hounding me about not adequately covering them given what a MASSIVE player they are in the PC space...

And frankly many of the other criticisms are like that... Calling what we do a commercial compared to the older-style unboxings is laughable. GO WATCH THE OLD STUFF. I'M LITERALLY READING THE BOX ON CAMERA. I have no prior experience with the product. It is PURE commercial. Now go watch one of our recent reviews (bear in mind not everything we do is something I'd consider a review) like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-6RwyFawE

Not a commercial. Contains many comparisons to other products. Ends with a recommendation against the product in the video.

As for us not going to Computex, quite frankly it's the viewer-base that spoke on this one. Last time I checked our Computex coverage last year got 1/2 as many views as our CES coverage, and cost our sponsors well over twice as much. You guys didn't care, so we aren't going this year.

CES 2013 coverage: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTxynknFjCZ2YVM_RiBgde7-

Computex 2013 coverage: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTyJKThbEAxoGGi8uXxNqnbb

edit: one more thing. Don't take the fact that I'm presenting my arguments here as a dismissal or to mean that I don't care about the viewpoints of my viewers. I truly do. If I didn't care, I would just be like every other YouTuber and ignore your message. I want our videos to make every one of our viewers happy. It's just not always possible :(

I QUOTED LINUS :DDDDDDDDDDD

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

where is all the tech? there is nothing to review, there are just stupid remakes being released lately, just wait...

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

You have to understand that HE HAS A FAMILY, a wife and a kid, if you knew anything about video production or business management you would know that Linus doesn't edit, he has a editor and im sure he doesn't work everyday, they have to write scripts, get the time, schedule it, setup, film (needs to wait till the cameraman is in), copy data (the clips have large file sizes, especially on the cameras he uses), he then needs to wait till his editor is in so he can edit and render, then he needs to get it uploaded, also he runs quite a few channels, and if you don't like the guests on the WAN show don't watch... simple as that.... but most importantly...(HE HAS A FAMILY AND NEEDS TO SPEND TIME WITH THEM)

also it is a tech channel, not a pc channel, yes it is a mainly pc's and pc components but its good to see the channel expanding

Linus I like this the most. this is something YOU do and if you are not happy with what you do than no one will be. I say stick to your guns and follow your gut! It does look bad when you make a review of something have no real interest in, we all see it when that happens and I personally like it when i can see you are truly into what ever it is you are talking about!  just my 2 cents!