Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

I enjoy both the old and new videos. I appreciate the amount of work and polish that they put into the newer videos.

Yes. 

Linus' opinion is what made his reviews/unboxings special. Because he usually had some insight to give on why something was special or important and whether the thing was good or not. And as far as we can tell, he was honest about it. 

Opinion in a review is fine as long as it's clearly labeled and honest. In fact, I believe it's preferred.

an opinion leads to bias which will completely null any credibility any reviewer has. A review needs to be objective, no ifs, ands, or buts.

if this thread dosnt make the wan show ill be shocked

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Can't say I agree particularly with the OP.

I found this channel around 9 months ago and subscribed back in December.

There is a video every day which is great for unwinding when coming home from work.  Every Saturday morning I have the WAN show to wake up to with a nice coffee.  There haven't been too many guests on it that I've seen recently but I don't think they're missing them, if anything a guest is a bonus.  It was awesome having Anand on the show.

The round up video series such as the recent speakers and headphones series I found to be very enjoyable, comparing a wide range of products within similar price range and it's something I don't see a lot of other channels providing.  The work that goes in to these extended listening tests and adjustments must be nuts, and I for one appreciate the lengths they go to.  Enough that I have no qualms about contributing monthly.

For a broad spectrum tech reviews site the hosts are not only likable, they're professional while maintaining being entertaining and informative, and I for one feel like I know a lot more about current gen tech and hardware purely from viewing TechQuickie and LTT videos (as well as this forum) and this is coming from someone who has been into this stuff for a long time and worked in IT for the past 9 years.

I like the spin off videos such as the behind the scenes and I like the openness with which LMG interacts with it's viewers.

I'd like to see further contributions from the team as well, where they'd like to.  I really enjoy Luke's more in-depth benching and testing segments, and I'd be keen to see what the other members wish to contribute, if anything.  The guys are certainly doing an awesome job behind the scenes.

The videos these days look great and sound great.  The convention videos are tough and not a huge amount of info is made publicly available other than looking at the shinies sometimes, but the most recent coverage was great because I think it covered a lot of things other sites were not! Everywhere looks at motherboards - but eye-tracking, pinball machines and 3D printing?  Right on!

I love that I randomly have an indepth look or review of battery chargers, book lamps, super overclocking motherboards, extreme graphics solutions, random ass amp/dacs, full build guides or AiO water coolers show up daily in my feed.  In fact the LTT videos helped me pick the parts for my latest PC.  I like that the videos are laden with info but aren't bloated or weighted down by this because the delivery is entertaining and concise and I look forward to following in the future.

The one gripe I would have would be the sponsor advertisement is a bit much sometimes (although keep the JZ jokes coming!).  It can seem to be a bit like this sometimes: 

.  I understand why it has to be done though as it brings us better content.  It must be a tough line to walk.

Having been watching LTT for a long time, it has gone increasingly downhill over a long period of time for me:

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

But the final step that is probably going to make me unsubscribe, ...

It's called Linus TECH Tips, not Linus PC Tips. Anyone who feels like you (seem to) do is either illiterate or a bit slow in the head.

I for one am glad that Linus seems to be or at least seems to try to become a bit more open minded, lately.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

@OP

I honestly kinda feel the same way about how Linus' stuff has changed, but I can't complain because here we are on Linus' forum and plus, it's not like he's completely stopped doing what he used to do. It's just less often that you see a graphics card unboxing and review from him because he has other vids like build logs and as fast as possible. It's a little simple and basic for me to watch As Fast As Possible, but I don't mind and sometimes I still learn a thing or two from those videos.

One thing you're forgetting is that Linus has expanded his horizons and with that comes inevitable expansion into other segments of the market like smartphones. Linus doesn't cater to a specific niche, so it's perfectly OK that he's dumbing things down for everyone. If you don't feel like watching that video, don't. Come over to the forum and chat with people like us instead of confining yourself to the sh*thole that is Youtube Comments. I've watch a lot less of his videos, but I just turn to other sites like Anand for some hardcore analysis, Tom's for the occasional fun review, Techpowerup and Jonnyguru for PSUs, Xbitlabs for motherboards...the list goes on.

But I do agree that the dashcams and dehumidifiers are pushing the boundaries a little and I'm not exactly happy with this kind of stuff. Sure, the video with Slick for the dashcam was funny, but you know what I mean.

an opinion leads to bias which will completely null any credibility any reviewer has. A review needs to be objective, no ifs, ands, or buts.

While I'm not going to argue semantics (which is how this would go).

What you're suggesting here is impossible. Every single review I've ever watched or read has included the reviewer's opinion. Complete objectivity is a ridiculous expectation.

286380-that-really-rustled-my-jimmies.jp

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

I can agree with you in some of your points. I think Linus is becoming a little more streamline and he is reviewing more trendy products, which includes the latest smartphones and stuff (not that is a bad thing). I like the professionalism of his new videos but I also miss watching videos of Linus just casually unboxing a product you have never heard of. It would be awesome if Linus had a second channel where he could just do casual unboxing and vlogs, but Linus is a busy person and he has a family so he doesn't have time for that. I think we just need to appreciate the work Linus and his team puts into every single one of his videos. Linus has improved the quality of his videos not to make heaps of money but so the experience is better for the viewers. And by Linus actually reading a responding to this thread it shows that he is the same old Linus that we know and love from older videos, and I can say that not many YouTuber's who have 800,000 subscribers really listen to their audience like Linus does.

It won't.

it should.  i mean this whole thread is about you tube so what better place to address the topic, and proberly do it in a more in depth way. + how many of your you tube viewers sub to your forum? (honest question) just my 2 pence

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

it should.  i mean this whole thread is about you tube so what better place to address the topic, and proberly do it in a more in depth way. + how many of your you tube viewers sub to your forum? (honest question) just my 2 pence

Everything that needs to be said has been said, and anyone who is interested can come read this thread. I already tweeted/facebooked it, so I don't see any point in turning it into a bigger deal than it is.

agree i have been watching LTT almost from when he started. old days at ncix

i do like how linis is very fast and keeps you engaged through the video like no one else can do 

it WAS better.

was more fun doing unboxing outside in the park and off the cuff less scripting  was really cool.

its starting to feel like other tech youtubers. 

the wan show was way more informative and on topic. 

last week it looked like they were stoned or something.almost no news "most boring shows i have watched so far" 

techsyndicate is increasingly more informative and on track with the latest tech and news

i find myself watching techsyndicate more and more.

and lately i have been skipping through videos on LTT

i am starting to have to go to multiple sources to stay updated .

To the old days hear,hear! 

Linus is still my go to guy because he is the best and i like the Humor.

if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes keep them to your selves i don't care.

It is an awesome channel, keep it as it is or do any kind of videos, i'll watch them all anyways :) Scripted videos are GREAT for newcomers and those videos are very clear and understandable. I also like that when you sometimes upload some random videos where you are just jumping and fooling around :D They are a blast to watch :)

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Everything that needs to be said has been said, and anyone who is interested can come read this thread. I already tweeted/facebooked it, so I don't see any point in turning it into a bigger deal than it is.

fair enough i havent got you on facebook or tqitter but then i dont pay all that much attention to twitter, so obviously i missed that

either way for me all is good i like your show and the tech quickies are awsome learning tools, just keep doing what you do

Agreed.

Can we let this thread die now?

So my previous post on this thread was also my first post on the site

Made an account just to log in and agree, I'll still remain a fan, and watch the wan show, but honestly I haven't seen anything released in a very long time that I'm remotely interested in. 

I just want to say that upon further reflection and investigation Linus does actually still produce a lot of enthusiast material, I think I've just become used to it and had been only noticing the new gadget and phone videos because they're out of place, and also I just don't like them. 

Still gonna remain a fan either way, the Wan show is one of the highlights of my week.

You've got to remember, he is off doing his own thing now, and only doing the occasional vid, for NCIX, so his quality is going to take a hit.

MSI Z87 XPower, I5 4670k, 4x4gb Avexir MPower, 2 x HD7950, XFX Pro750w, Intel 335 180gb boot, 250gb Samy pro games, 60gb OCZ Vertex music, Monsta 420,ST30 360, 140mm / 120mm Akasa Vipers in push pull, D5 Vario, Koolance top, Bitspower ZMulti250, Fesser Fittings all round, Mayhems sunset Yellow, 32" LG monitor, 23" Asus monitor, Microlab Solo 7c's, Bheringer MS20's, R.A.T7, Steelseries Merc Stealth

I have to say that I somewhat agree with the OP. Linus' videos have changed a lot from his early days. To be completely honest, my favourite time in LMG lifetime was when Linus and Slick were doing it in Linus' garage (hehe doing it)...

But this can't have made things easy on the other people that live with him. Moving to their own house was a great idea and growing as they have and are is a good thing. Linus does still cover some cool non-mainstream stuff though - like that really interesting video on the tube amp thing. Being a musician and amateur producer myself I can appreciate these things.

I still watch all of Linus' vids. I don't mind the scripted more professional style but i reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllyyyy miss the old vids Linus used to do which were initial impressions and the UNBOXINGS!!! I wonder if it would be possible for him to do an initial impromptu first impressions unboxing as he traditionally did and then proceed to use the thing for a week or two or however long. Or what probably makes more sense is to do the initial impressions in the same vid? I don't know that might be weird, but  watching impromptu linus is always better than scripted linus. His recent tour of the LMG HQ was cool.

I can tell that there has been a shift in focus in terms of quality over quantity now. Reviewing more things is always good - it is probably a bit unfair to criticise him on what he exactly chooses to do videos on because everyone's tastes are different and you can't always please everyone. 

AND NOW FOR A NOTE TO LINUS if he is reading this. I THINK YOU NEED A BREAK OR A HOLIDAY BECAUSE I HAVE NOTICED IN YOUR VIDEOS THAT YOU SEEM LESS.. RELAXED. You seem to be stressed. Especially in the LMG tour. It seemed as though you were a bit I don't know maybe bored of shooting videos? Also WAN shows seem to be more rushed. Before you would always just stay and chat and say more things on news topics and everyone liked that interaction with you. I really do understand that you have to do WAN show and go home because it can take up a lot of time but i don't know, it seems as if this whole thing has become more and more just a job for you, which it is, but i hope you haven't or won't ever lose track of why you started these videos in the first place - your love of all things tech and chatting to people about it! Maybe you are going a little too far down the road of professional video maker because it is losing some of that.. humanity and personality. I could be completely wrong but it's just something i noticed. TAKE A BREAK.

It's late for me here and i haven't read over my sentences so i apologise if they don't make sense. I just saw this before going to bed and thought i should say something.

Peace.

We've had this discussion before. 

I like the unprofessional videos, and now it doesn't happen as much.

I miss linus fumbling around.

Seems pretty unprofessional to me.

The WAN Show can be pretty unprofessional at times, too.  :)

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Yes please, don't bring this up in the WAN show.  I love the news and the points you guys bring to the tech world BUT I do find myself skipping thought all the bromance and silly times.  Don't get me wrong, I would watch it if I could but 'time is of the essence' and I need more news and solid points/opinions/thoughts about whats going on because I value your guys point of view of news and stuff.  

This subject is not news, I feel it is a valid subject to think about and to note BUT not to bring to to the WAN show... please no.

CES coverage aside, I've made 5 ASUS product videos this calendar year. FIVE. If anything you guys should be hounding me about not adequately covering them given what a MASSIVE player they are in the PC space...

That's a good point, where are the Asus reviews?!  I kid I kid...but seriously, my body needs a Z97i plus review :o .  I bought the Z87i-Deluxe based pretty much on your review lol.  I like the direction the channels been going in for the past few years though, with the glamor shots being mixed in with the overview and general opinions of the product.  It's kind of a half way point between HardwareCanucks all glamor shot approach and Tek Syndicates point at the thing approach.  And the release schedule for your videos is probably the quickest and most often out of all the youtube channels I'm subscribed too.  I don't sit on you channels page F5ing all day, but I usually cycle through all my subscriptions once or twice a day, and it seems like theirs always a new LTT or TQ video(I don't know if we've adopted that abbreviation or not for tech quickie, but their you go). 

The WAN show's are probably my favorite videos though, because the talking back and forth gives more of an insight in to things.  Then the motherboard reviews, not so much for the technical aspects of what's on the board, but more for the looks of the board.  I can look at the board and see the fan headers or front panel usb 3 headers or whatever, and zone out just like everybody else listening to JJ talk about 5-way optimizations and all that.  I just like seeing how the boards look lol.  C'mon, everybody just buys the sexiest board they can afford that matches their color scheme, amirite?  Anybody?

The channel has changed a lot. I miss the random unboxings but since he doesn't work for NCIX anymore, he doesn't have access to everything like he used to. But I wish he could go to computex. Only problem is who is gonna pay for it.

I haven't watched a single one of his videos since last year I find the coverage of stuff im interested in not being there anymore. If I want advice now I go to the forums because I feel as if he is getting out of touch with what a majority of us came here for. I find a majority of the people on here more insightful than his channel has been as of recent.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster