Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

I think that unscripted videos are more fun to watch but I also understand why you go more professional with the videos. If I was a guy who is just started looking a review for something I would defently go with the more professional video but as a long time fan I like more casual videos because I watch them for fun.

I think that the original audience would really appreciate the WAN show afterparty comeback so theres some casual stuff aswell.

We did have afterparty last week though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How long till a poopload of new tech?

the release of the 800 series and the release of devil's canyon is around the corner. DDR 4 should come sometime soon as well and then we'll have a bunch of benchmarks and all again. People are just way too impatient. And I have no idea why people say stuff like Linus trying to force stuff down our throats, I mean he disapproves of some products and recommends others from a personal POV while giving reasons for his claims, it's up to the individual user to decide if they want / need it or not.

I loved Linus's review on the new LG 29" (I think it was) 21:9 screen and Linus gave a personal opinion as well.

I feel like hes going away from actual PC Hardware a bit, and more into phones and such. I dont mind it too much but then again, phones are boring as fuck to me lol. His reviews got a lot better in my opinion, at least some. For example the review of the htc one m8.

Once again, give Linus some PC hardware to review and he probably will, the problem is that there is no such content at the moment and therefore there are no reviews. There is no interesting releases in the pc industry at the moment (it's dry season if you will) so Linus is doing other videos to keep his routine and to inform people about Tech which is not simply pc related.

I am one of those who love to see the unprofessional side of things and to be honest I still see it, however I do think that Linus is speaking in a "smarter" sense than he used to so fewer people can understand.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I think part of the charm of LTT was the informality compared to others like Newegg and was probably the reason why the experience as such was great. No faults here, just wished Linus could be a tad more informal in his videos

I do think that Linus has been focusing a lot less on PC tech lately. Linus where are all our tech vids?

This right here is a prime example of what is wrong with many of these complaints. A product does not have to be PC related for it to be tech related. Smart Phones are tech. RFID based games/toys are tech. Even seemingly pointless lights in the shape of a book are tech. If it's running on some form of electricity, it's tech. Anyone with a camera phone can make a video of themselves pulling a product out of a box. But Linus, LTT and the LMG have graduated from amatuer hour unboxings to professional product reviews. We still get unboxings when they are relevant, but the brand will never grow if they remain the main focus.

You may not like the fact that LTT has expanded into covering products not related strictly to PC's, but only covering PC related items or focusing on PC related items at the expense of other products won't get the bills paid or pay the LTT employees. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

When you are seriously looking at or comparing a product, the more professional, scripted videos are much nicer. L

However, when you want something to wat h just for fun, maybe not so much. If you don't care about some of the things he does a video about why do you watch it? Just to complain if wasn't tailored to you?

It is my opinion that Linus has always had a mix of both more professional reviews and more funny playful videos. Of course, the now professional reviews are on an entirely different level lol.

Forgive any grammar errors, I am on my phone on a bus.

While I've only been viewing LTT/NCIX Tech Tips (when Linus was on) for a couple of years now, I unfortunately have to somewhat agree with OP. While I still try to watch some videos, I'm finding myself going elsewhere to watch anything at all related to computer hardware since most of what LTT does is, like what the OP said, consumer electronics. While I firmly believe that we can, and should, enjoy a jolly match of "Hide the Sausage", unless you can do videos like that all of the time I won't be viewing them.

No matter what happens I'm sure you guys will have a great future, it just really sucks that some of us can't be a part of it.

if it sucks why stop watching altogether? you could just look at his sub box in your email and check whatever attracts your attention, just because it's from LTT doesn't mean you have to watch it. I also only watch specific videos that interest me. Watching all his videos or feeling obligated to do so would be considered an obsession and therefore unhealthy, maybe still like what he does but don't use him as your only source of entertainment / information? I mean if it's really sad that you won't be a part of it, just watch him occasionally. Seriously.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I don't at all mind the sponsors, I think they're helping significantly and keep you guys in supply of bacon and trousers. I don't think you sold out at all, but I still have to stand behind my previous statement.

I think Linus and his team have moved in a positive direction. It's not uncommon for the "old hogs" the people that were there from the beginning to feel alienated at times. Though I understand your frustration with "losing the old Linus" I think "new" Linus is much more capable. All things aside, I do take one issue with your criticism of Linus' coverage; PAX. Linus' representation of gaming has always been a focus on his channel; it's not the point of his channel but it does play a very crucial role. PAX is a huge gaming convention with a ton of vendors present representing the software and hardware side of gaming. It would be a disservice to the gaming side of his channel to not provide coverage of the huge event. And honestly, Linus and his team will go where they are able, that means that some places will have to be neglected. People, myself included, cannot expect Linus to be at every event that I want him at; it's an unrealistic expectation. As he and his team continue to grow, I would imagine the coverage will grow. Until then, I am excited to be a part of that growth and the success he and his team have had. I understand your points, I think you should take the positive step and grow with Linus and his team, rather than wish that things could stay the same.

I think his point was that going to Pax is kind of a boring event, but computex is like the mecca for pc enthusiast stuff.  So spending the money to go to a crappy event doesnt make sense, when they could've went to a much much better event.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

The level of professionalism on this channel I find to be the best on the internet. Ive completely stopped watching newegg, and I only watch NCIX for netlinked daily, particularly when Linus hosts. Who cares if all the other major you tubers review the same products at the same time, LMG does it better.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Maybe do two channels one with the new stuff and one with the old stuff?

620 user(s) are reading this topic

Fascinating, isn't it?

I find that this always happens when Linus tweets a specific thread, quite the magic touch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

NDA's don't have anything to do with the type of videos most of us are talking about.  Yes, we know.. you saw the episode of WAN where he explained NDA's, congratulations.  We're talking about cool pc stuff rather than silly gadgets.  Of course we understand NDA's would prevent certain things.. that's a non-issue.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

I think his point was that going to Pax is kind of a boring event, but computex is like the mecca for pc enthusiast stuff.  So spending the money to go to a crappy event doesnt make sense, when they could've went to a much much better event.

But Linus pointed out that the user base didn't show enough interest in Computex to justify the cost of attending. More people showed an interest in PAX, so they attended PAX.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I honestly think the nay-sayers are overreacting. I used to watch LTT on Youtube for reviews, but I was never subbed like I am now. I only subbed maybe a year ago.

It's a bit over the top to say all of these things that are described as being 'bad' for the channel, like product reviews that have nothing to do with PC's. I mean seriously? I like seeing the cool shit he reviews even though I'd probably never buy it - plus knowing someone is making this stuff intrigues me (like that book light thing for example).

I dunno man, I think the nay-sayers need to calm down.I don't see anything wrong with what LMG is doing with LTT/TQ/LCT/and whatever else they have.

Going to computex costs sooo much, LMG would never make the money back with the videos from the show. LMG is a company and companys main purpose is to make money. Theres 5 people who work really hard and they can't survive without money. Yes, last time they had sponsors but the videos didn't got enough views to make the trip profitable.

My biggest hope is that this receives NO TIME WHATSOEVER on the WAN show this week. The show is about news in an entertaining form to enjoy a friday night and would be ruined if Linus was forced to try defending and and arguing himself in any form. Keep the WAN show how it is, keep LMG the way it is.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Made an account just to log in and agree, I'll still remain a fan, and watch the wan show, but honestly I haven't seen anything released in a very long time that I'm remotely interested in. 

I don't usually go on the forum but I'll post right now just because this has been bugging me for a while as well. Before, I used to watch every single LTT video no matter how irrelevant it was just because I liked the unboxing style of video and the odd quirks with the show like the camera man(although i know you left ncix), or fumbling for a pencil or a ruler to open a box. The main reason I subscribed to LTT in the first place was when you were covering content about lga1156 when I was building my computer and I really enjoyed the unboxing style. However, the unboxings are all gone and I really do not prefer the new style.

You can call it more professional, and it is if you contrast it with the other tech channels but the reason I don't subscribe to those channels and I did subscribe to LTT was because of the way you did unboxings. I do agree that you are deviating more and more from your core audience(at least my personal belief) and becoming more like the other shows. The personal touch is just gone and makes everything very dry. This is also why i continue to watch the wan show even though i avoid a lot of your other videos cause it has a bit of quirkiness to it akin to the original videos that you did. Maybe you can still do unboxings and comment about them, but done in a professional environment but the current pre scripted and presentation nature of the show is something I do not enjoy. Maybe others enjoy it, but if I wanted facts like those, its not difficult to just google the specs and read reviews. I remember a time when you said "subscribe for more unboxings, and other computer videos". Where have the unboxings gone? 

Sorry if this seems a little long winded. I rarely post and this is probably my longest post but I do hope that you change the style of videos that you do, and hopefully you will see that.

Made an account just to log in and agree, I'll still remain a fan, and watch the wan show, but honestly I haven't seen anything released in a very long time that I'm remotely interested in. 

It's nice to see you went the extra mile and gave us that psychedelic king monkey as an avatar  :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh and to add onto what I said a few posts up. Linus, why don't you just film the unboxings that you do and upload them to a seperate channel? You have to unbox the products anyways so it can't be that much of an added task to just film the unboxing and upload them to LTT or another channel. Doesn't need to be with the fancy fs700, but you could just use a smaller camera like you did in the past without all the professionalism, and that way you can please everyone. Just my two cents

for some reason i enjoyed the old videos more it was nice to see it be unprofessional and how it was done in one shot and terrible editing i liked it thart way. and theres something else that was different that i just cant my finger on it

The only thing I want is the less professional Linus from a couple years back , and the old intro .

Oh god, the creepy Linus coming out of the box?

Well, it appears Linus has a point about the views on the Computex coverage videos.  But I think he's missing the overall point.  Anecdotal video references aside, the channel has matured, and changed.  Growth is important, and that means encompassing a broader audience.  For me, personally, it just means I only watch a third of the videos or so nowadays, instead of how I used to love every video.  Quality has gotten way better, which is great but also takes away from the personal feel that made a lot of us feel like we were buds with Linus.  Spontaneity was part of the fun in the past.  Scripting allows for smooth, professional videos, but seeing someone's true expression when they see something for the first time while un-boxing it is also what made things feel personal.

It's all just a double edged sword.  Growth is good, quality is good, etc.  But it's not anything that can be pointed at directly, its just that it doesn't feel like Linus is my buddy in these videos anymore.

It seems like the audience is torn here.  Old schoolers, and people who just really want Linus to see them praising him lol.  It's like a little brother..  I can make fun of him, but I'll kick someone's ass if they do.  That's why I don't feel like I'm talking crap about Linus..  it's all out of love for the channel.  

A great solution would be to stay on the same track as things have been going, but once in a while do an off the cuff type of video.  Something that really speaks to the older audience.  I doubt that will happen, but it's the only thing I can see, because Linus isn't going to go backwards, that's for sure.