Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

Maybe do two channels one with the new stuff and one with the old stuff?

Erm no. He already manages a business running 3 channels (the original Linus tech tips, ncix tech tips on Friday & the recently added tech quickie when he first introduced LMG)

He already stated scheduling unboxing reviews is a heck load of work besides that why run anymore channels. On one of the WAN Show archives they were going to possibly open up two channels; one for @slickpc to do gaming sessions and @LinusTech do electronic gadgets & toys. They didn't pull it off but they tried it out. It's a total pain to create different channels offering a lot of specific content.

Since Linus isn't under the pressure when he had to take a one shot review with Camera-Man & Slick when he was still employed at NCIX. The content of videos was being uploaded rapidly versus now they're producing more higher quality shots for tech reviews, scripts for tech quickie etc. They might not be making 3 or 5X the content but they have vastly grown in popularity and production.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I honestly enjoy all of Linus's videos, I think it's nice that he has a wide range. Helps give me information and an idea of things I did not know about. It's very informative and can be a kind of learning channel when he reviews things I don't know about. I think they are doing a fine job, I enjoy watching the videos, they are informative and isn't that what matters?

Something you have to bear in mind about the current product reviews he's doing is that we're between generations of everything interesting. Waiting on graphics card launches from both AMD and NVidia, waiting on new CPUs from both AMD and Intel, RAM isn't changing much and we're waiting on DDR4, there's not much changing in the SSD/HDD space until we finally start seeing SATA express and M.2 drives hit the scene which hasn't happened yet but I'm sure would get covered when it does. Power supplies haven't changed much although I'm surprised they haven't had a video up yet about the AX1500i, although if they had you'd just dismiss it as being the same as all the other channels. Cases are pretty well covered as they come out too. Monitors get covered, peripherals get covered. That's pretty much everything but motherboards. The only new thing that's come out in a while has been the new motherboards and here I'd agree the coverage has been less than spectacular, but the video about the Gigabyte Z97X SOC FORCE was very well made and feature rich, although benchmarks would have been nice, but then again I'd guess they're waiting for devils canyon like everyone but OC3D who are planning to redo all their tests with devil's canyon.

What does that leave in terms of products they can review? Consumer devices and other stuff. It's not that they aren't doing the above videos because they're appealing to a different audience, they're not doing them because the products simply aren't there yet, or are still under NDA at least. A month down the line and a load of videos come out with motherboard benchmarks and CPU benchmarks as devil's canyon hits and then a bit later (or maybe at the same time, not sure on the timing) when the Haswell-E and X99 videos start showing up you'd be saying "wow thank god Linus is finally going back to his roots" when all that's happened is the products have become available to review when there simply wasn't anything before that.

Since most of his videos are financed by sponsorships and not Google ad-sense maybe dual posting on Vimeo AND Youtube would be a salute to those that want a more personal experience? Dan Brown (Pogobat) has decided to do this, granted I do still watch his videos on Youtube. Maybe if we could inspire more content producers to follow suit it would be refreshing from the corporate monotony Youtube has become.

i have 6 channels i sub to...of which one im subbed for a competition, NCIX i only really watch linus as the others annoy me, like nails down a chalk board, and the other is jayz vlog channel. i watch jayztwocents, baracalieeseseseeesess (cool channel fricking stupid name) and LTT of which LTT is my fave.  in fact JTT got me onto subing to channels from a quickie he did. i like his style sense of humour and professionalism......well sort of.....well it looks pretty.  shit changes thats life if you dont like dont watch it.....i loved COD.....it changed (or didnt) i dont play it know. the channel is great now though it could consider  catering a bit more to the global market with things like offers for the uk/europe and maybe not haveing the LAN show so late....ITS 1.30 IN THE FREAKING MORNING! other than that do what ever

people who want more releases daily need to remember that there just a number

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

What does that leave in terms of products they can review?

My example; The Raijintek Themis air cooler came out and is 15% cheaper and outperforms the "old" Coolermaster EVO Hyper 212 that everyone has been recommending to new builders for like 3 years. I find that a significant miss since it should be flipping computer budget building advice on its head, but simply isn't yet because of lack of coverage.

Just a very quick example off the top of my head. Oh, and the Avoton-based Mini-ITX board that supports 64GB of DDR3 RAM was also forgotten, luckily TEKsyndicate picked that one up. There's more, just can't type forever while I'm at work.

people who want more releases daily need to remember that there just a number

What you did there; I see it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I tend to agree with you OP. I'm not a super long term subscriber like you seem to be, but I do feel that coverage in the channel has changed. This may be bad but I believe this is the right step.

But seriously, some are complete outliers (Lumio lamp. Really?).

I'm completely fine with one video per day -  they are well scripted and planned. I feel they are reasonably insightful and opinionated. Most of his latest coverage (such as Z97-WS,  A5+, CMstorm keyboard, A2+, node804) are all covered in depth and he has expressed his opinion based on his usage on his products as usual.

Yes, I believe he should be finding more 'Hidden gems' you have mentioned. I think Pebble is the most recent 'gem' (or may be that cool gigabyte mouse) - its been ages.

Plus, where is the handy tech under $100 series?

Prioritizing PAX over Computex kinda blew me off guard too during the WAN show. I thought it was just me, I'm glad you felt the same lol :P

Small complaint, I wish Slick stops frowning in the videos.. makes them almost annoying to watch lol. I didn't even watch the latest Data Storage video due to the thumbnail with his serious frowning expression. Frowning is not required to be serious and professional.

But I still love you Slick xoxo I watch WAN show to watch you smile #notcreepyatall

Outro is too long.. At least we don't have that ridiculous mid-video sponsor message :D I hate audible audio book thing and will never use it for the memories of bad, annoying coverage by him.

Blog \ Twitter \

If it's not fun, why do it?

(as is this is going to be read by the guy who had made the post)

You had some good points and some not so good points.

Bad points (all personal opinion/assumption):

The Content has changed and has had the horizon broadened, which I personally appreciate. I have a passion for learning about computer equipment, and by watching the LTT Vids even the older ones I have learned and incredible amount and have been inspired to try to pursue Tech as a career. With that being said, when someone is like almost a role model in a sense or you at least respect their knowledge I highly value their opinions on similar products like cell phones and I appreciate the reviews that come so I have a better Idea of what I'm wasting my money and time on in a contract before its too late. I enjoy the random audio vids or gadgets that I may find useful, because honestly after building my system, minor differences between hard drives or cases becomes a little less relevant to me, opposed to something I may not already have.

As many other have mentioned, It no longer a fun past time out of garage operation its a full time company now some things will get covered some wont be, it happens video content will change  a fair bit and are more costly to produce and thus will shorten. (Although I agree that I would like more insightful and detailed videos at some time.)

Also being a company that has a clear face that is someones personal image sometimes opinions have to be limited, if you slightly disapprove of something the internet goes off on a crusade or someone has something to say against it, its a point where you can't please everyone.

Some Good points (again personal opinion):

Despite the personal relevance I would like to see more Vids of random computer components more often, to keep informed on trends or updated guilds for some of the outdated vids getting unique products to review (although they have done a few such as the salt "Fly Gun"  which i got a kick out of). The guests on the WAN show some people may like or may not that's ok, personally i haven't seen one i despised yet. It would be cool if they could cover all big events but with budget and staffing it may not be possible as well as the fact perhaps none of the staff wanted to go, perhaps they felt their time was better invested elsewhere. I would like to see a little more in-depth reviews on some of the topics and agree with your point there.

Finally my opinion stands that, I personally enjoy the channel, show what ever you wish to label it as and take it for what it is and what is changing into. And not getting coverage on one event out of the many would not make or break my decision to keep watching.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

One thing I really want people who long for the good 'ol days to consider is this: Have I really changed, or have you changed?

I have to say, I find the arguments in the first post of this topic almost stupid. It's a typical thing to say. It's pretty much a bunch of youtube comments with better grammar.

In my opinion, you have changed a lot. You argue it's better and from some points it is, but I just adored the feeling of being somewhere with an excited Linus that just got a box of random crap to look at. You didn't care if there was a freaking plane going past and I liked that.

I started forming these opinions since you started hiring people and buying new gear. And then the livestream came. I adored it. it was you, just talking like back in the day. And I felt that everyone was happy. You got to make content you feel good about and I still got to see you without the "in front of a camera" hat.

Come on. what do you think I set an alarm clock to wake me up at 6 AM (!) on Saturday? What do you think was so awesome that I didn't mind it to wake up at 1 AM when you changed the time? Some stupid tech articles I can read whenever?

No. The only reason was feeling like you're on the other side of my table just talking. There were people in the chat saying they woke up at the same time as me and we all watched you talk about your motorbike gear...

You brought Slick in. I have to say, the show became a lot different, but it also started to be funnier.

And then all the WAN show BS started happening. And I was just angry. You brought unneeded professionalism into a show, where you used to talk to fans through Twitter (which is exactly the reason I made a twitter account - feels a bit useless now doesn't it?) about random thoughts.

But you, being a guy that always has a solution, started to do the Afterparty. And I felt like we were on a Teamspeak. I played a game and listened to you talking about something, randomly shouting that you forgot to say something on the main show...

I know that this was hard to read. But the last WAN show brought all of this back. And everything I missed for so long was back. Stupid jokes, puns, facepalms and you two talking about whatever. And it reminded about the reasons I had to wake up so soon on a weekend, to make an account, to sit for 2 hours on a chair.

P.S.: I thought that the stupidity and unprofessionalism I liked so much would be brought back with the Toys channel. Well, still waiting.

/EDIT: I loved the 230T video. Sure showed me that Linus still has jokes to make :D

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

i am always with linus

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Sometimes smaller is better, but seems their passion is high quality production.  Expensive production equipment needs revenue, but hearing about dollar shave club in every tech video gets annoying.

Asking for donations, subscriptions, etc every video is a bit much as well.

At what point does a youtube reviewer over expand?  The tour of the studio showed 4 guys you never see on camera working in the 'office', plus slick and linus.  Just seems a bit much to me, it causes this constant need to raise more money to survive.

I thought that the stupidity and unprofessionalism I liked so much would be brought back with the Toys channel. Well, still waiting.

Count me in

Blog \ Twitter \

If it's not fun, why do it?

I have to say, I find the arguments in the first post of this topic almost stupid. It's a typical thing to say. It's pretty much a bunch of youtube comments with better grammar.

In my opinion, you have changed a lot. You argue it's better and from some points it is, but I just adored the feeling of being somewhere with an excited Linus that just got a box of random crap to look at. You didn't care if there was a freaking plane going past and I liked that.

I started forming these opinions since you started hiring people and buying new gear. And then the livestream came. I adored it. it was you, just talking like back in the day. And I felt that everyone was happy. You got to make content you feel good about and I still got to see you without the "in front of a camera" hat.

Come on. what do you think I set an alarm clock to wake me up at 6 AM (!) on Saturday? What do you think was so awesome that I didn't mind it to wake up at 1 AM when you changed the time? Some stupid tech articles I can read whenever?

No. The only reason was feeling like you're on the other side of my table just talking. There were people in the chat saying they woke up at the same time as me and we all watched you talk about your motorbike gear...

You brought Slick in. I have to say, the show became a lot different, but it also started to be funnier.

And then all the WAN show BS started happening. And I was just angry. You brought unneeded professionalism into a show, where you used to talk to fans through Twitter (which is exactly the reason I made a twitter account - feels a bit useless now doesn't it?) about random thoughts.

But you, being a guy that always has a solution, started to do the Afterparty. And I felt like we were on a Teamspeak. I played a game and listened to you talking about something, randomly shouting that you forgot to say something on the main show...

I know that this was hard to read. But the last WAN show brought all of this back. And everything I missed for so long was back. Stupid jokes, puns, facepalms and you two talking about whatever. And it reminded about the reasons I had to wake up so soon on a weekend, to make an account, to sit for 2 hours on a chair.

P.S.: I thought that the stupidity and unprofessionalism I liked so much would be brought back with the Toys channel. Well, still waiting.

I agree with the too much professionalism comment as well as the appreciation of the stupid humor and puns

While SOME points the OP made are valid, if any, it's not like anyone here is monetarily invested in LTTMG videos. Linus owes the viewers nothing. No one is making you watch them, and like the OP said, there are other channels out there.

The minority are always louder than the majority... Most would say his new videos are fantastic. I personally love the production quality of them.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

While SOME points the OP made are valid, if any, it's not like anyone here is monetarily invested in LTTMG videos. Linus owes the viewers nothing.

That's incorrect -> No viewers -> no LMG,

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I honestly don't like your recent GPU reviews. You should showcase the card better, and show it inside a system (from the side/top). That is the only part of the aesthetics i care about, since it's all you're ever gonna see, unless you are running a testbench. Also, some sound comparisons would be great. But still, i like the witty videos like the easter egg hunt and the dashcam vid.

While SOME points the OP made are valid, if any, it's not like anyone here is monetarily invested in LTTMG videos. Linus owes the viewers nothing. No one is making you watch them, and like the OP said, there are other channels out there.

The minority are always louder than the majority... Most would say his new videos are fantastic. I personally love the production quality of them.

that is complete bullshit. He owes everything to them.

I know this will draw hate as is common on criticism, keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm sure Linus will do fine when shifting his content on to a different demographic altogether........  but now it is my least favourite of all my subscriptions.

My 2 rubel, anyway.

Heters gonna hat. but seriously just like many others, to he is the same, but covering more products as well and has a more professional look and feel.

Nothing to see here, move along

That's incorrect -> No viewers -> no LMG,

Sure, but he is obviously pandering to the type of videos/viewers that draws the most amount of revenue at the present time. So, just because you don't like a channel's style doesn't mean they owe you anything. People who dislike LMG's direction are largely in the minority.

that is complete bullshit. He owes everything to them.

I'm pretty sure he owes it to himself for making videos good enough to make a living out of. What I really mean is he doesn't Owe a certain type of videos to anyone. Viewers are great, but if they don't want what he's producing then they essentially don't want LMG to grow as efficiently as possible.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

So after reading most of the comments i was forced to subscribe to comment.

I don't agree with most of people here, i really think he is much better than before, and everything has been improved.

I don't know why some people are complaining he's doing audio stuff, it's great and maybe you'll open your mind and see how much hifi headphones are so much better than gamers headsets. Dac and amps videos are also great, i think most people didn't even know most of theses itens and brands before Linus started to do audio stuff.

I like to see non computer related tech ( and really there isn't a lot of new things that are really knew, for example the Z97 are almost the same as Z87 that was almost the same as Z77 ) like toys and others stuff, even hide the sausage...

Didn't even knew that mechanical keyboards existed before watching one of you video ( I live in Brazil and it's almost impossible to find them here, they are expensive for most people here )

I LOOOOOOOOOVED the video of the Sensei Wireless when he complained about the sensor ( and i really agree with him, i don't know why people love this shitty laser sensors ).

I just need to ask you to review one of the Matias keyboard with the Matias/Alps switches.  :D

And waiting for a LinusCatTips...

I started watching LTT back in mid 2012, and I personally really like the way the channel is heading. I dont think its changed as much as some people have been saying. The professionalism of the has increased dramatically, but he still covers the same topics. It is still a TECH channel, like it always was.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

I think Linus Media Group is doing fine with all their reviews and tech stuffs. I kinda like the camera works and editing now rather than the old style. I also like the commercial scenes (I know it's weird to like commercials but I really like them, especially when Linus is enthusiastic about it, including Slick and other staff).

There's only one thing that I don't like though, and it's the release of videos. I feel like there's less releases now than the past.. or maybe it's just because I get too excited to see a new LMG video? lol :P

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I started watching LTT back in mid 2012, and I personally really like the way the channel is heading. I dont think its changed as much as some people have been saying. The professionalism of the has increased dramatically, but he still covers the same topics. It is still a TECH channel, like it always was.

You believe that, because you haven't been on board since the beginning. You should see some of the older videos - 2010-2011 and compare them to the more current ones. And I am not just talking about professionalism, that iteration is great.   

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here