Samsung reveals two new QD-OLED Monitors (32 inch, 144hz QD-OLED, 27inch, 360hz, QD-OLED) releasing sometime in 2024

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray

Summary

Next year two new panels from Samsung will be released. One is 32 inches, 144hz, 4k QD-OLED, the other is 27 inches, 360hz, 1440p QD-OLED. Estimated launch is Q2-Q3 2024 I believe.

Quotes

Specifically, they are QD-OLED (quantum dot OLED) monitors, and the 27-inch version has a 1440p resolution with a 360Hz refresh rate. The larger 31.5-inch panel sports a 4K resolution and a pixel density of 140 PPI (courtesy of an ‘ultra-precise inject printing’ technology, Tom’s Hardware reports).

My thoughts

I've been waiting on something like this for about 10 years. Once it gets down to south of $500 or so I will definitely be buying one.

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/computing/monitors/oled-monitors-make-a-quantum-leap-as-samsung-reveals-27-inch-panel-with-360hz-refresh-rate-thanks-to-ai

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Ever since the 34 inch Alienware QD-OLED came out last year I have been waiting for a 27 inch QD-OLED monitor to be released, the fact that it is 360hz is just a bonus. I am afraid this thing is going to be like $999 to start though so I will likely need to wait a year or so for the price to cool to around $500. Can't justify paying any more than that unfortunately.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

144Hz at 4K is a nice trade off for someone like me that mostly gets shit done on their PC but occasionally uses it for gaming.

I'm waiting for 4K 240Hz OLED to come. But it better have DP 2, BFI, DFR should be so as well. We'll see CES soon.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why is Samsung always so slow with stuff' I've always gone with competition because they are slow with everything. They were slow with 4TB M.2 SSD's, they are slow with smaller OLED monitors, they are slow with everything. I'd buy Samsung OLED, but when I was looking for QD-OLED, all you could buy were those gigantic oversized monitors. And all I wanted was 27 inch OLED at 1440p. So in the end I bought ASUS's 27" OLED monitor...

Give me 24-inch and I’ll shut up and give them my money.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

There is no market for high end panels in 1080p 24". 1440p in 24" isn't going to happen either. 

11 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'm waiting for 4K 240Hz OLED to come. But it better have DP 2, BFI, DFR should be so as well. We'll see CES soon.

Yep. 4K240Hz OLED at (preferably) 27"-28" would be my endgame

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

24 really feels like no mans land. too small for desktop use, too large for portable use. 

its a 2nd monitor size. 

I doubt it will be 1000 USD for these since the ultra wide ones are 1000 dollars. 

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Why is Samsung always so slow with stuff' I've always gone with competition because they are slow with everything. They were slow with 4TB M.2 SSD's, they are slow with smaller OLED monitors, they are slow with everything. I'd buy Samsung OLED, but when I was looking for QD-OLED, all you could buy were those gigantic oversized monitors. And all I wanted was 27 inch OLED at 1440p. So in the end I bought ASUS's 27" OLED monitor...

It doesn't feel slow at all. the panel type is only two years old. 

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

24 really feels like no mans land. too small for desktop use, too large for portable use. 

Too small as a single monitor, yes. But great for a dual-monitor setup for productivity.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

11 hours ago, starsmine said:

its a 2nd monitor size. 

I doubt it will be 1000 USD for these since the ultra wide ones are 1000 dollars. 

It doesn't feel slow at all. the panel type is only two years old. 

It is slow if you don't want 32 inch monitor... Coz I don't want one. At 1440p it would look like garbage and at 4K, I'd have to buy RTX 4090 just to get half playable framerate in games using DLSS and frame generation... Also I'm not all that convinced in QD-OLED tech approach of burning all pixels to get white color. Where W-OLED has a dedicated pixel for white color. Which gets moderately used in content that's predominantly dark these days, from interface in dark modes to most movies being some dark abominations through most of scenes.

13 hours ago, NavyCobra1417 said:

Yep. 4K240Hz OLED at (preferably) 27"-28" would be my endgame

AFAIK there isn't even a 27" 4K 120Hz right now, so that might be a long way to go.

It's about time. I was waiting for a 32" 16:9 or 38" ultrawide for a long time.

I'm glad to know there will be good 32" 4K OLED options by the time my C2 is done for. It's the size i actually wanted. 42" is nice, but i don't use it for productivity enought to really justify the size and 32" seems much more useable. Really glad there are finally high DPI options coming to the OLED monitor market. It's even more important on OLED than on LCD because of the special subpixel layouts that make text clarity inherently worse.

Now i only hope they don't fuck up the screen coating. I hope they're glossy and i hope they finally introduce a polarizer-layer so the black levels aren't raised with ambient light present. LG's OLED TV's have by far the best glossy screen coatings i have ever seen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 12/17/2023 at 3:45 AM, RejZoR said:

So in the end I bought ASUS's 27" OLED monitor...

Odds are you brought a Samsung OLED display panel. Samsung Display is the supplier for Asus OLED laptops and Samsung Display at least in 2021 was 49% of the market manufacturing supply.

On 12/17/2023 at 3:45 AM, RejZoR said:

They were slow with 4TB M.2 SSD's

Because their NAND technology and manufacturing is hyper focused on the high end and they don't have much interest in sacrificing endurance or performance for density/capacity. They design their NAND around datacenter/enterprise products and then down supply from that. Others do too to a degree, just less so.

As a company I doubt Samsung cares that much about the M.2 formfactor, it's a great volume product category for them but they are investing a lot more time and energy in to EDSFF etc

On 12/16/2023 at 1:34 PM, Doobeedoo said:

I'm waiting for 4K 240Hz OLED to come

According to other sources the monitors are 240hz and 360hz respectively.

Sorry, it's in German..., but 31.5, 4K, QD-OLED and 240Hz should be enough of a giveaway 😄 

image.png.133c1c5564f7dec648a8234c9006f6e2.png

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monitor-Display-Hardware-154105/News/QD-OLED-Gaming-Monitor-360-Hz-1436302/

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Odds are you brought a Samsung OLED display panel. Samsung Display is the supplier for Asus OLED laptops and Samsung Display at least in 2021 was 49% of the market manufacturing supply.

Currently all of these 27" consumer OLED monitors come with W-OLED panels from LG.

Laptop displays are another story. In that market Samsung's Super AMOLED displays (primarily used for phones and like you said laptops) are the dominant OLED technology. That's mainly because this display technology is capable of extremely high PPI and is fairly power efficient, which is why OLED displays like 14" 4K have been a thing in laptops for a long time. Like all OLED technologies this one comes with it's own downsides and is imo one of the worse ones for a gaming display.

Currently the best allrounder tech in the OLED space seems to be Samsung's QD-OLED technology. But in terms of longevity it hasn't been on the market long enough to draw any conclusions.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Currently the best allrounder tech in the OLED space seems to be Samsung's QD-OLED technology. But in terms of longevity it hasn't been on the market long enough to draw any conclusions.

I tend to keep my monitors too long for most, maybe all, OLEDs. At least currently. My monitor I got in either 2014 or 2015 so chances are I would have been forced in to a replacement, even if I got one now with the best current tech I'd likely end up being forced in to a replacement purchase before I actually want to.

OLED is super awesome but I like to buy the best thing at the time and run it in to the ground before replacing it, with a really long expected time frame.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I tend to keep my monitors too long for most, maybe all, OLEDs. At least currently. My monitor I got in either 2014 or 2015 so chances are I would have been forced in to a replacement, even if I got one now with the best current tech I'd likely end up being forced in to a replacement purchase before I actually want to.

OLED is super awesome but I like to buy the best thing at the time and run it in to the ground before replacing it, with a really long expected time frame.

OLED monitors haven't been around long enough to see what happens after 5+ years of useage. My OLED TV from 2019 is nearing the 5 year mark and is still running without any issues. But monitors are another story. My 42" LG C2 has been my main monitor for over a year now and it's also running without issues. I'll see how long it holds up but if it'll last 5 years before i need to replace it, I'm happy.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

According to other sources the monitors are 240hz and 360hz respectively.

Sorry, it's in German..., but 31.5, 4K, QD-OLED and 240Hz should be enough of a giveaway 😄 

image.png.133c1c5564f7dec648a8234c9006f6e2.png

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monitor-Display-Hardware-154105/News/QD-OLED-Gaming-Monitor-360-Hz-1436302/

Maybe it's just this particular Samsung model that runs at 144Hz and the panel is CAPABLE of up to 240Hz. That leaves room for another model like they did with the Neo G7 and Neo G8, where the only real difference is the refresh rate.

But i believe other brand already announced monitors using this panel. Asus announced a 32" 4K 240Hz QD-OLED monitor that is sheduled for a 2024 release.

Interesting.

I am kind of half looking for a new OLED display as my main monitor. I have a CX 48" OLED and it has pretty terrible burn in after ~4 years of 10+ hours a day usage, even after hiding the taskbar and setting screensavers and stuff right from the beginning.

I feel like there was nothing and then suddenly it showed up about 6 months ago out of nowhere. Could have been so gradual though that I didn't notice until it was too late.

only shows up when there is a bright blue background such as a clear sky or similar, green blocks of some kind of grid outline clearly visible right dead center in the middle about 1/4 of the display across.

Gonna need something to replace it soon and I will probably downsize.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

OLED monitors haven't been around long enough to see what happens after 5+ years of useage. My OLED TV from 2019 is nearing the 5 year mark and is still running without any issues. But monitors are another story. My 42" LG C2 has been my main monitor for over a year now and it's also running without issues. I'll see how long it holds up but if it'll last 5 years before i need to replace it, I'm happy.

I've set pixel shift to max setting, set my screensaver to display 100% black (which for OLED means all pixels off) image after 2 minutes and my wallpaper is now some 400 random dark wallpapers from Pexels that rotate every minute. Taskbar autohides and I removed all icons from desktop. I'm now using Dark Windows theme. Basic precaution to avoid pretty much any kind of most typical desktop burnin.

Thing is, on TV's, only channel logo is really in the same spot most of the time. With monitors, a lot of sharply defined elements sit in exact same places all the time and you really want to avoid that. But it's really not a lot of effort to set this up to avoid it. Took me like 1 minute and then 2 hours of downloading those 400 wallpapers lol. Used Bing Wallpapers, but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom placed white watermark in exact same spot for all of them. We'll see how long it'll last since I use PC a lot.

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've set pixel shift to max setting, set my screensaver to display 100% black (which for OLED means all pixels off) image after 2 minutes and my wallpaper is now some 400 random dark wallpapers from Pexels that rotate every minute. Taskbar autohides and I removed all icons from desktop. I'm now using Dark Windows theme. Basic precaution to avoid pretty much any kind of most typical desktop burnin.

Thing is, on TV's, only channel logo is really in the same spot most of the time. With monitors, a lot of sharply defined elements sit in exact same places all the time and you really want to avoid that. But it's really not a lot of effort to set this up to avoid it. Took me like 1 minute and then 2 hours of downloading those 400 wallpapers lol. Used Bing Wallpapers, but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom placed white watermark in exact same spot for all of them. We'll see how long it'll last since I use PC a lot.

I run the display at just 100 nits for SDR content. Still bright enough to be perfectly useable in my setup but significantly less wear.

Screen shift and logo dimming is enabled as they're not noticeable in real world useage. I even disabled TPC (global dimming over time) in the service menu because i found that to be very distracting in normal use. I don't auto-hide the taskbar but i at least use TranslucentTB to hide most of it. And i set the screen saver to 10 minutes of inactivity.

Other than that i'm taking no other precautions to prevent burn-in. I really want to see how long it'll last without me having to baby the display in every way and just use it like any other monitor.

At least i don't use it for work. It's pretty much exclusively used for gaming and content consumption. So far i haven't had any issues a year later.

On 12/17/2023 at 4:51 AM, Dracarris said:

AFAIK there isn't even a 27" 4K 120Hz right now, so that might be a long way to go.

I know 😞

I'll have to be a patient man