New Californian Law to allow residents to easily scrub all of their online data from in-state data brokers

JustLovett0

Summary

Signed into Law this past week, Californians will soon be able to request all of their data be deleted in an easy and free way from close to 500 Data Brokers based in the state. By January 1st, 2026, the California Privacy Protection Agency is working to implement this mechanism for residents. However, it is not until August 1st, 2026 that processing deletion requests must be done within 45 days of the request being made.

Quotes

Californians already have a right to request their data be deleted under current state privacy laws, but it requires filing a request with each individual company.

The new bill reinforces that all data brokers must register with the California privacy protection agency (CPPA), and it requires the CPPA to establish an easy and free way for Californians to request that all data brokers in the state delete their data through a single page

My thoughts

Shame that this act won't go into effect for two more years, but it is a great step in the right direction. Private companies like Incogni already offer a paid service to have this done on a larger scale, but if this "Free and Easy" data scrubbing becomes nationwide for the USA, it would allow a lot more people to easily regain some online privacy.

Sources

Main Source: https://iapp.org/news/a/california-governor-signs-ca-delete-act-into-law/

Secondary Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/oct/10/california-delete-act-signed-newsom

40 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

This will do nothing, those data brokers will just go offshore by the time this law goes into effect.

Yup.  This isn't even a step in the right direction it's a waste of time.  They won't even go offshore they'll just switch their AWS region for storage to Oregon or Texas and "oh look we don't have any data in CA anymore"

Prop 65...for data.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

this is stupid honestly. it isn't going to stop people from hoarding and selling peoples data. 

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

Thank goodness all data brokers are in California and cannot move their data elsewhere.

5 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

This will do nothing, those data brokers will just go offshore by the time this law goes into effect.

1. Setup a shell "A" corporation
2. Proxy all data to another "B" corporation outside the state with "A" caching only a few minutes worth of data"
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

4 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

Depends how the law is written. EU's GDPR is very similar, as in I as a EU citizen can demand even US companies to delete their data about me since the GDPR isn't written from the perspective where the data or company is but where the person, about who the data is, resides. As in, while Facebook tried to shovel their data from Ireland to US in hopes to run from GDPR and the fear of needing to give people access to their data with hopes that if the data is in US it would fall under US jurisdiction and EU couldn't set sanctions on Facebook for not giving GDPR accesses to EU citizens. However the GDPR isn't about where the data is but where the people are, Facebook just wasted bandwidth since if they wouldn't have given that GDPR access, EU could have fined and sanctioned them.

Same here if they were wise, they wrote the law the way that company must delete the data about Californian demanding it and not "Californian company must delete data in California if Californian demands it", it could be the same as GDPR and at least bigger companies won't try to fight it in fears of getting hefty fines.

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Depends how the law is written. EU's GDPR is very similar, as in I as a EU citizen can demand even US companies to delete their data about me since the GDPR isn't written from the perspective where the data or company is but where the person, about who the data is, resides. As in, while Facebook tried to shovel their data from Ireland to US in hopes to run from GDPR and the fear of needing to give people access to their data with hopes that if the data is in US it would fall under US jurisdiction and EU couldn't set sanctions on Facebook for not giving GDPR accesses to EU citizens. However the GDPR isn't about where the data is but where the people are, Facebook just wasted bandwidth since if they wouldn't have given that GDPR access, EU could have fined and sanctioned them.

Same here if they were wise, they wrote the law the way that company must delete the data about Californian demanding it and not "Californian company must delete data in California if Californian demands it", it could be the same as GDPR and at least bigger companies won't try to fight it in fears of getting hefty fines.

Out of curiosity, what’s stopping a company from encrypting a copy of personal data, and moving the blob elsewhere, where regulators are going to be unable to audit (even if they somehow got physical access)?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

1. Setup a shell "A" corporation
2. Proxy all data to another "B" corporation outside the state with "A" caching only a few minutes worth of data"
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

One of the oldest tricks in the book.  This business model (or something quite similar) was widely used by criminal gangs in the U.S. during Prohibition...100 years ago...and its effectiveness played a big role in getting that amendment repealed.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Ireland will become the country with the most datacenters.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Out of curiosity, what’s stopping a company from encrypting a copy of personal data, and moving the blob elsewhere, where regulators are going to be unable to audit (even if they somehow got physical access)?

Mostly just common sense. Even Google doesn't really want to hold personal information that hard especially when there is the chance that if it leaks out and it's taken to EU court that could be up to 10M€ or 2% of annual global turnover (which one is higher) for violation or up to 20M€ or 4% of annual global turnover for severe violation, just not worth it to risk it. And if you get fined and don't pay the fines, you will get more fines and most likely you can say bye bye for any foothold on European markets until you pay your fines.

But in the US I don't know is even the California able and willing to really strong arm companies the way EU has shown to be willing to.

21 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yup.  This isn't even a step in the right direction it's a waste of time.  They won't even go offshore they'll just switch their AWS region for storage to Oregon or Texas and "oh look we don't have any data in CA anymore"

Prop 65...for data.

It would depend on how the law is worded.

the GDPR regulations for example do not make ANY kind of distinction on where the company handling YOUR data is located. if they provide ANY kind of service no matter how minor to even a single EU consumer, the GDPR will apply.

{Why else would many USA media sites do not offer service in the EU}

They rather want to avoid handling EU consumer data, than having to deal with the FALLOUT on any kind of GDPR fine/regulation

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝