Cable/Connector Modding Help Needed - Where to buy PSU Cables with "Low Profile Connectors"

WonderWoman

Hello,

I am currently doing a build and have run into an unexpected problem.  The pass through slots on the MoBo wall that separates the PSU back of the case compartment to the front compartment are too narrow to pass through the PSU cables with their normal sized connectors.  (see provided pic).  I spoke with the Mfg (Mars Gaming out of Europe) and although they are wonderfully responsive, and their cases are TOP NOTCH QUALITY (and beautiful - they make pink cases for us Geekettes) they admitted that they did screw up.  I totally love and respect that honesty with their customers which is another reason I recommend that company's products.  They stated they corrected that in the next generation of the case.  They sent me alternative suggestions with pics for wiring.  It is possible, but not exactly a clean enough looking method for my liking.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find modded cables that have "low profile" (narrower) connectors.  I already have contacted the CableMod people and asked them and they said they do not carry them.  I prefer not to have to go the AliExpress route all the way from China.  My ultimate last resort is taking EVERYTHING out of the case and bringing the case itself to a machine shop and asking them to make the slots bigger. FYI - I cannot make the slots bigger myself because I lack the tools, skills and don't have a workspace (I live in a 1BR garden apt)  I really would hate to have to do that because I have come pretty far already with the build.

Thanks for all sugestions, they are appreciated.

Sincerely,

WonderWoman

PCIE_Connector_Too_Large_For_Case_Slot.jpg

10 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

have "low profile" (narrower) connectors. 

No because these connectors will ALWAYS have the exact same shape as they need to be this exact shape to fit into the slots.

Your best bet is to take ALL the components out and dremel the hole bigger or ask a machine shop as you said.

22 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

My ultimate last resort is taking EVERYTHING out of the case and bringing the case itself to a machine shop and asking them to make the slots bigger.

Another option:
You could cut the cables (just not too close to the connector),
run them where they need to go,
splice the wires and solder them back together,
put heatshrink tubing around,
and for aesthetics put some cable sleeves (though if you cut closer to the PSU side and you don't care how it looks like from the back, skip it).

Edit: I know it is jank, but it is something that can be easily done at home with no special tools.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Or put some sock or something over the metal and try to bend it just long enough to slide the connector inside

dont think you like using tool or soldering so...

could use a metal file

you can buy pre pin cables and add the connector on affter

cut the wires and use a solder less connector

there is a depining tool but they kinda can make the cable more loses imo

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

send the case back and tell the manufacturer you totally recommend to deliver a functional product.. or get a molex pinning tool, de-pin the connectors to get them trough the holes, and put them back together.

or.. just make the hole bigger yourself.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

or get a molex pinning tool, de-pin the connectors to get them trough the holes, and put them back together.

Just do this. It takes about 5 minutes for someone with halfway functional skills. A depinning tool helps, but a paperclip or needle works in a pinch.

I don't do soldering.  I don't have the tools, don't know how and buying them would be a waste of money for me because this is the only time I would ever use them.  As for filing, that would be a lot of filing and make the case look horrible and leave lots of sharp edges.....

As for the suggestion about the molex pinning tool and undoing/redoing that....I have never done that before and if I ever wanted to change anything I'd have to do the tool routine all over again.  I would probably get the wires all screwed up and blow up my computer and three blocks of my neighborhood....I know the limits of my skills........

57 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

I don't do soldering.  I don't have the tools, don't know how and buying them would be a waste of money for me because this is the only time I would ever use them.  As for filing, that would be a lot of filing and make the case look horrible and leave lots of sharp edges.....

As for the suggestion about the molex pinning tool and undoing/redoing that....I have never done that before and if I ever wanted to change anything I'd have to do the tool routine all over again.  I would probably get the wires all screwed up and blow up my computer and three blocks of my neighborhood....I know the limits of my skills........

Well, then you have to live with the cable not routed through the back, or bring it to somewhere that can make the hole bigger for you.
Because as others have said, those connector's housing size are pretty much standardized.

And yes, even the cheapest PCIe cable that uses non-sleeved multicolored wires in Aliexpress uses the same size of molex housing.

Can you share the Brand & Model of the PC case ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

Hiya,

Here's the case I purchased on Amazon.....

Mars Gaming MCVP Pink Case

Thanks.
Just in case there's people asking about it in the near future.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

45 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

Here's the case I purchased on Amazon.....

37 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Thanks.
Just in case there's people asking about it in the near future.

Near future here

Those slots are definitely undersized to allow a PCI-E cable to pass through them. They look to only be designed to allow Front Panel I/O cables to be passed through instead. 

Unfortunately these underboard slots are often overlooked in terms of cable routing though process when manufacturers designed them. Especially since this bottom slot most definitely should be wide enough to allow larger cables to pass through it, despite it's probably intended use is for fan headers.

image.png.8857f957e8ff1f41c115390a33ef8ddf.png

One potential issue with unpinning/ repinning the connector aside from potential mix u[p of the wires is "what if you need to replace the cable, or PSU?" You have to re-unpin and re-repin the cable, then go through the same steps with the replacement unit. It's more of a hassle than it's really worth. 

You did mention they had a "next gen" case on the way. Perhaps you could route the cable "as intended" but unaesthetically for now, and wait for the new case and make an exchange? (Unless they're not coming out any time soon of course)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Perhaps you could route the cable "as intended" but unaesthetically for now, and wait for the new case and make an exchange?

That is what I am going to be testing out doing......There are multiple slots (not visible from the forward facing view) on the side of the MoBo mounting wall next to the area that fans or a rad would get mounted.  Those slots are where the mfg suggested (which I already had figured out about on my own, were sized for the usual PSU component cables/connectors to pass through) are where I have already threaded the PCIE connector to run along the bottom of the case.....I just wanted to ask if anyone had ever heard about any cables/connectors like I was describing.  I wanted to keep my options open.  Just because I don't know something exists does not mean it does NOT in fact exist.....

Here's a pic of the way I am going to move forward with the build.  Nothing is screwed in yet, I just put it all in to get a visual and see how tight things would be and they are going to be tight.  I will be attempting to thread the PCIE GPU cable along behind the double fan and hopefully only have a small portion or even just the connector showing.  I also have different MoBo & GPU white ARGB strimers due to arrive shortly.  The original ones I bought had the clip that holds the wires have one prong break and I didn't like how they looked and installed. 

My GPU is pretty big and therefore forcing my Corsair Hydro X pump/res all the way against the side of the case leaving it in full contact with the both the GPU on one side and the case on the other.  I was going to have 3 of the pink ARGB triple fans in the case but due to the GPU bing big I have to go with a double version of the same fan on the bottom.  I will not be able to use the mounting bracket for the pump/res either because it will push the pump/res away from the side of the case and towards the GPU and then not fit in the case because it is already physically up against the GPU.  I will use the metal housing the pump/res gets mounted in and screw that down with 2 out of the 4 screw holes (the other 2 holes don't have anywhere on the case to screw into but I am going to look at how to use my "pretty hot pink" (have I said lately, well, I'm a girl?)  zip ties and see how that might work.

Do you know where I can purchase TRUE UV Black light LED strips already configured with a computer connector like either a MoBo connector or a USB?  As a final touch I would like to make the build really pop with that.

Pink Desktop Build Double Fan Configuration.jpg

FYI - I want to rave one more time about the case mfg.  The quality of the case itself is top notch and really solid (so they goofed or didn't think about the slots also being useful for creative cabling....no big whoops) and their customer service team is REALLY friendly and EXTREMELY helpful as well as they reply promptly.  I highly recommend them.  The prices are beyond affordable for the quality.  The next gen of the case is totally RAD....

Mars Gaming MCV4 Tower Case

This is where I found it available for sale - one was a site I have never heard of (because it is in Europe) and the other is Amazon Germany....

Mars Gaming Case MCV4 at TradeInn.com

Mars Gaming Case MCV4 at Amazon Germany

The price is roughly $96 USD but you have to figure on pretty hefty shipping from Europe.  When I bought the case off Amazon USA I paid something $122.00 for the case and $112.00 for the shipping because again, it was coming from Europe.  I loved the case so much I just couldn't NOT get it.....It was pink and the size I was looking for and well, again I'm a girl!

3 hours ago, WonderWoman said:

That is what I am going to be testing out doing......There are multiple slots (not visible from the forward facing view) on the side of the MoBo mounting wall next to the area that fans or a rad would get mounted.  Those slots are where the mfg suggested (which I already had figured out about on my own, were sized for the usual PSU component cables/connectors to pass through) are where I have already threaded the PCIE connector to run along the bottom of the case.....I just wanted to ask if anyone had ever heard about any cables/connectors like I was describing.  I wanted to keep my options open.  Just because I don't know something exists does not mean it does NOT in fact exist.....

Here's a pic of the way I am going to move forward with the build.  Nothing is screwed in yet, I just put it all in to get a visual and see how tight things would be and they are going to be tight.  I will be attempting to thread the PCIE GPU cable along behind the double fan and hopefully only have a small portion or even just the connector showing.  I also have different MoBo & GPU white ARGB strimers due to arrive shortly.  The original ones I bought had the clip that holds the wires have one prong break and I didn't like how they looked and installed. 

My GPU is pretty big and therefore forcing my Corsair Hydro X pump/res all the way against the side of the case leaving it in full contact with the both the GPU on one side and the case on the other.  I was going to have 3 of the pink ARGB triple fans in the case but due to the GPU bing big I have to go with a double version of the same fan on the bottom.  I will not be able to use the mounting bracket for the pump/res either because it will push the pump/res away from the side of the case and towards the GPU and then not fit in the case because it is already physically up against the GPU.  I will use the metal housing the pump/res gets mounted in and screw that down with 2 out of the 4 screw holes (the other 2 holes don't have anywhere on the case to screw into but I am going to look at how to use my "pretty hot pink" (have I said lately, well, I'm a girl?)  zip ties and see how that might work.

Do you know where I can purchase TRUE UV Black light LED strips already configured with a computer connector like either a MoBo connector or a USB?  As a final touch I would like to make the build really pop with that.

Pink Desktop Build Double Fan Configuration.jpg

filing makes sharp edges smooth so... but i get it haha just to clear that up.

but the cable looks good as is imo.

oh dose it have feet? looks like there not there in the pic? that would be a problem... im guessing taking off to fit on the spiny thing. 🤔

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

10 hours ago, WonderWoman said:

FYI - I want to rave one more time about the case mfg.  The quality of the case itself is top notch and really solid (so they goofed or didn't think about the slots also being useful for creative cabling....no big whoops) and their customer service team is REALLY friendly and EXTREMELY helpful as well as they reply promptly.  I highly recommend them.  The prices are beyond affordable for the quality.  The next gen of the case is totally RAD....

Mars Gaming MCV4 Tower Case

This is where I found it available for sale - one was a site I have never heard of (because it is in Europe) and the other is Amazon Germany....

Mars Gaming Case MCV4 at TradeInn.com

Mars Gaming Case MCV4 at Amazon Germany

The price is roughly $96 USD but you have to figure on pretty hefty shipping from Europe.  When I bought the case off Amazon USA I paid something $122.00 for the case and $112.00 for the shipping because again, it was coming from Europe.  I loved the case so much I just couldn't NOT get it.....It was pink and the size I was looking for and well, again I'm a girl!

Um, idk, for me, that's kinda a big whoops.
Especially considering nowadays cable management / pc looks standard. And considering 12VHPWR & no sharp bend / sideway tug shit.

If let's say, combined with a short cable, it's the kinda design error that might turn "With a bit of difficulty" to "Seriously annoying".

Me, I would expect a good bonus or a good discount for that kinda error, because when I buy a fishtank type case, I'm buying it with the full intention to make the inside look as good as humanely possible.

But that's me. Others? idk.

Hence why I asked you about the model of the case, so if there's unknowing people asking about it later & the case manufacturer doesn't blatantly put the defect on their webpage/storepage, I can point it out.

Next time you might want to look for a paint job shop first and see what kinda price they can give you for painting a PC case instead of shipping one overseas.

Since sometimes the total pricing & the risk just not worth it compared to repainting.

As for UV light, see if you can find one you need here :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/?query=UV

https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/led-strips/

If you are using 5v / 12v strips, it should be quite simple to DIY the connectors to be PC compatible. Unless you want to pull off some sort of lighting gymnastic.

But yep, most likely yer gonna have to solder stuffs.

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

oh dose it have feet? looks like there not there in the pic? that would be a problem... im guessing taking off to fit on the spiny thing. 🤔

The product page shows it does have feet.

She probably took it off for ease of building (hopefully this is the case)

Refresh before you reply

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

oh dose it have feet? looks like there not there in the pic? that would be a problem... im guessing taking off to fit on the spiny thing.

The case definitely has feet.  I had to take 2 of them off so that I could install the fans....then I put them back on....then I realized I couldn't wire the case because of the slots....so I had to take them off again....I will only be putting them back on the case when the components are PERMANENTLY installed....The problem is that the feet are screwed in through the case grating and the fans have to be screwed in through the case grating also and the location of the fan screw holes in relation to the case grates and the feet locations are really a PAIN.....they are in the same location so I kind of have to force my screwdriver to fit into the screws for the feet when the fans are installed on the bottom of the case.......(did I say it was a PAIN?)

7 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Next time you might want to look for a paint job shop first and see what kinda price they can give you for painting a PC case instead of shipping one overseas.

Since sometimes the total pricing & the risk just not worth it compared to repainting.

As the expression goes, "Hindsight is always 20/20"......This is my first build since the really easy squeezy basic parts days of the cross over from W98 to Win Xp...and also my first build doing a full custom water loop.....

I decided to do the build for a lot of reasons.  First I have been in the corporate IT game for 25 years and was feeling like my skills were getting a bit obsolete and so I decided to upgrade my build skills.  Second I was going to be out of work for a while longer due to health issues that had me get spinal fusion and disc surgery to fuse my lower lumbar spine to my pelvis...(can you say OUCH!?) so I decided I needed a project to keep me active so I didn't just lay in bed and I wanted that project to be a real challenge.  That is why I decided to build the desktop which is a creator/gaming build and I didn't just want to take the easy way out with the AIO water cooling, that isn't too much of a challenge, so I opted for a full custom loop and boy is it challenging!  I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge and I am learning a lot!

7 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Needed to ask a question:  I am looking at the CableMod store link for the lighting you gave me...All the LED strips reference RGB and ARGB (yes I know the differences) my question is to my knowledge RGB cannot do true UV black light, it can only do a purple color that looks like UV black light but doesn't have the "reactive" light quality because it is not a true UV.  For all LED lights, can they do TRUE UV black light or due to the technology of LED are they incapable of doing a TRUE UV black light like the glass fluorescent bulb does (think how black light posters used to be lit up in the 1960s/1970s)....

4 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

Needed to ask a question:  I am looking at the CableMod store link for the lighting you gave me...All the LED strips reference RGB and ARGB (yes I know the differences) my question is to my knowledge RGB cannot do true UV black light, it can only do a purple color that looks like UV black light but doesn't have the "reactive" light quality because it is not a true UV.  For all LED lights, can they do TRUE UV black light or due to the technology of LED are they incapable of doing a TRUE UV black light like the glass fluorescent bulb does (think how black light posters used to be lit up in the 1960s/1970s)....

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-hybrid-led-strip/

That one ?

I never used it, my PC basically have almost no lighting.

Also since shipping from them to my country gonna cost a ton.

I think they put 2 kinds of lighting node on the strip, 1 is RGB, 1 is UV.

Although if you want details or specs or something you're better off asking them directly. From what I've heard they're not the kind that shy away from detailed question.

Refresh before you reply

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-hybrid-led-strip/

That one ?

I never used it, my PC basically have almost no lighting.

Also since shipping from them to my country gonna cost a ton.

I think they put 2 kinds of lighting node on the strip, 1 is RGB, 1 is UV.

Although if you want details or specs or something you're better off asking them directly. From what I've heard they're not the kind that shy away from detailed question.

I just emailed CableMod off their site asking them if LED technology is capable of doing TRUE UV black light.....Hopefully I'll hear back pretty quick.

Thanks for the link to the UV reactive coolant dye...already have it...got it when I purchased the parts for my loop.

I am finally moving along on the build but I hit yet another really bad problem.  My pump/res will not fit in the case to be mounted due to the size of the GPU.  Can anyone please recommend a pump/res that is smaller, more narrow than the Corsair Hydro X pump/res I have which is:

Hydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo — White

I am REALLY killing myself with this build......It is REALLY starting to frustrate the crap out of me now.  I know it can be done but it is kicking my ass........ 

Please ignore the request for finding a smaller pump/res - I finally managed to get it mounted in the build.  No longer need a smaller pump/res