Starfield now runs twice as fast on Linux compared to Windows

mepah9
  1. Starfield allocates its memory incorrectly where it doesn't align to the CPU page size. If your GPU drivers are not robust against this, your game is going to crash at random times.
  2. Starfield abuses a dx12 feature called ExecuteIndirect. One of the things that this wants is some hints from the game so that the graphics driver knows what to expect. Since Starfield sends in bogus hints, the graphics drivers get caught off gaurd trying to process the data and end up making bubbles in the command queue. These bubbles mean the GPU has to stop what it's doing, double check the assumptions it made about the indirect execute and start over again.
  3. Starfield creates multiple `ExecuteIndirect` calls back to back instead of batching them meaning the problem above is compounded multiple times.

Summary

Windows 64 fps

Linux 136 fps

This marks the first 'triple a' game that runs twice as fast on linux.

Quotes

What really grinds my gears is the fact that the open source community has figured out and came up with workarounds to try to make this game run better. These workarounds are available to view by the public eye but Bethesda will most likely not care about fixing their broken engine. Instead they double down and claim their game is "optimized" if your hardware is new enough.

Sources

https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/commit/88e4f300cc0b5b6f0880c1233d562cf506b546fb

4 minutes ago, mepah9 said:
  1. Starfield allocates its memory incorrectly where it doesn't align to the CPU page size. If your GPU drivers are not robust against this, your game is going to crash at random times.
  2. Starfield abuses a dx12 feature called ExecuteIndirect. One of the things that this wants is some hints from the game so that the graphics driver knows what to expect. Since Starfield sends in bogus hints, the graphics drivers get caught off gaurd trying to process the data and end up making bubbles in the command queue. These bubbles mean the GPU has to stop what it's doing, double check the assumptions it made about the indirect execute and start over again.
  3. Starfield creates multiple `ExecuteIndirect` calls back to back instead of batching them meaning the problem above is compounded multiple times.

Summary

Windows 64 fps

Linux 136 fps

This marks the first 'triple a' game that runs twice as fast on linux.

Quotes

Sources

https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/commit/88e4f300cc0b5b6f0880c1233d562cf506b546fb

ok thats pretty cool lol

So bad and lame how companies release games. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Triple As.....incronous

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

If we know what the issue is can't we fix it in windows too? I mean I wonder if a fix could be made that is in the package of a mod. 

I'm a linux user so this is nice for us, but honestly this game is a perfect example of how game devs are using crutches like DLSS/FRS instead of actually optimizing games nowadays. There's no effort and time being put into optimization past "it runs on consoles, we're done".

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

Is there something I am missing with Starfield. I keep seeing people saying its a really hardware intensive game that will stress a system but the recommended specs aren't radical. Or is just because my pc is only 2 years old with more recent hardware. 

I watched the DF PC review video yesterday and it was highlighted that frame pacing on Nvidia cards was really inconsistent as opposed to AMD cards, and they seemed to narrow it down to higher quality shadow settings being the culprit... Presumably this goes some way towards explaining that lack of frame pacing consistency?

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

If we know what the issue is can't we fix it in windows too? I mean I wonder if a fix could be made that is in the package of a mod. 

Bethesda would C&D it into oblivion, linux folks could do it because it doesnt touch any code from them.

-= Moved to PC Gaming =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How is this even possible? Because this game would actually be playable at 130fps where at 60, it's just horrid. And 60 was suppose to be some sort of holy grail "bottom" line for smoothness. It's just not as it feels janky and laggy.

7 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Bethesda would C&D it into oblivion, linux folks could do it because it doesnt touch any code from them.

I honestly don't think they would. They are very supportive of mods and the modding community so I am not sure why they would c&d. 

18 hours ago, William Payne said:

Is there something I am missing with Starfield. I keep seeing people saying its a really hardware intensive game that will stress a system but the recommended specs aren't radical. Or is just because my pc is only 2 years old with more recent hardware. 

You're not missing anything. The game is not demanding in the slightest. The internet is just full of ignorant whiners who expect 200fps on 10 year old hardware.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

You're not missing anything. The game is not demanding in the slightest. The internet is just full of ignorant whiners who expect 200fps on 10 year old hardware.

I habitually run every game on 4k ultra settings so I never get high fps haha. But I can't say I ever notice it enough to where I care. 

53 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I habitually run every game on 4k ultra settings so I never get high fps haha. But I can't say I ever notice it enough to where I care. 

I do the same and this game rarely dips below 60fps. Can't say the same for other recent games. 

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I do the same and this game rarely dips below 60fps. Can't say the same for other recent games. 

what gpu are you running if I may ask? 

6 hours ago, dilpickle said:

People with 4000 series cards are getting 45-60 fps on 1080p and you don't call that demanding?

Dude, I'm barely getting 25 FPS on LOW everything

You are objectively wrong - this game is not optimized and it IS demanding. 60FPS is supposed to be the minimum

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Just now, ItTakes2ToMango said:

People with 4000 series cards are getting 45-60 fps on 1080p and you don't call that demanding?

Dude, I'm barely getting 25 FPS on LOW everything

You are objectively wrong - this game is not optimized and it IS demanding

What cards and what are the other settings? I have no played the game but it definitely looks good. 

Just now, William Payne said:

What cards and what are the other settings? I have no played the game but it definitely looks good. 

Well my specs are below, but you can see the posts in here throughout the past week of people with high-end, recent cards getting continuous issues in Starfield so far

That doesn't mean I'm not finding a way and loving it - I'm 30 hours in. But still

8 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Ok, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just look at the "high" preset for this post, not the "ultra" which is unoptimized in practically any game.

- Even fucking 1080p high needs a 6800 or better to consistently run at 60 fps.

- With 1440p high you'll need a 6900 XT or better to get 60 fps.

- With 4K high, you'll need the current top tier GPU's like 7900 XTX and 4090 to get 60 fps.

How is that classified as "not demanding in the slightest"?

For how "good" this game actually looks i'd say these are pretty insane hardware requirements.

Like with Cyberpunk, upscaling is basically required to get decent performance, which is why Bethesda decided to be sneaky and enable FSR by default.

Source:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, dilpickle said:

You can't really call RTX 3080 a "10 year old hardware". It's last gen high end card. Yet framerate sometimes dips to really uncomfortably low levels that I haven't experienced in any game, even very new ones. Maybe Hogwards Legacy, but I literally had EVERYTHING cranked to the max with ray tracing enabled and it still felt much more fluid than Starfield. Something is very off with this game for performance to be so all over the place on hardware that should be pushing out much higher framerate.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Ok, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just look at the "high" preset for this post, not the "ultra" which is unoptimized in practically any game.

- Even fucking 1080p high needs a 6800 or better to consistently run at 60 fps.

- With 1440p high you'll need a 6900 XT or better to get 60 fps.

- With 4K high, you'll need the current top tier GPU's like 7900 XTX and 4090 to get 60 fps.

How is that classified as "not demanding in the slightest"?

For how "good" this game actually looks i'd say these are pretty insane hardware requirements.

Like with Cyberpunk, upscaling is basically required to get decent performance, which is why Bethesda decided to be sneaky and enable FSR by default.

Source:

BREAKING NEWS: newest game requires newest hardware. Film at 11.

I swear it's like people today act like everyday is their first day on earth. 

Is it faster because it is dropping something in the translation?  LIke how some games don't load textures if they don't have enough VRAM and make the game look like poo.  This isn't even something I can try I'm running the free Gamepass version.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

BREAKING NEWS: newest game requires newest hardware. Film at 11.

I swear it's like people today act like everyday is their first day on earth. 

Never has a AAA game required the latest gen hardware for 60 FPS on 1080p since 1080p has been standard

Must be your first day on earth