What do we do now?

LinusTech
9 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

never said that.

its simple not ok to walk away from a claim that was proven false. After the fact.

I apologize for that I didn't read your comment right, this thread has been going quickly, and yeah I think Steve should have another test on 12vhpwr, doing the initial video and not revisting it has me wondering if the newer version of the connector is any better.

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

been following the white paper on it. its already on design 3...

i really want to know how the hell it went so far.

i do think nvidia got stuck with already manf parts thru... also my guess pci sig did not take kindly to nvidia pointing out a out right dangerous design

I haven't kept up with the news since the first revision,  I'd like to see how the newer connector, adapters, and cables are, a lot of 12vhpwr PSU's have been coming out also.

If nvidia got stuck with a bunch of parts I think they should've done a recall and at least repaired cards to the new connector design.

1 hour ago, TechSwagPimp1337 said:

"Is a little humor a bad thing?"

In bad taste, yes. I cannot believe that they (1) monitized the video, (2) shouted out Floatplane, (3) had an LTT store plug, and (4) joked about having a video sponsor. Then Linus has the absolute nerve to call it "a little humor". It's not funny. Grow the hell up.

Personally I don’t think it is in bad taste at all. If anyone is offended, “So fucking what” as Stephen Fry once said. Honestly, there are far worse things going on in the world than some little fuss over a few mistakes and poor judgement on a YouTube channel.

it would be interesting to have stats, how many mistakes have been made in how many videos. And then put those mistakes into context, whether they have had a detrimental effect on others or whether most people didn’t even notice or care about them.

If only people were this passionate about climate crisis, starving millions, unnecessary wars, homelessness etc, then the world might be a better place

1 minute ago, Baron_Samedi said:

Some of the responses to this video are the perfect example of cancel culture. It is simply impossible to win. People will never be satisfied. If you made the video, it's because you did, if you didn't, it's because you should have. If it has jokes, it shouldn't have, if it doesn't, it's because they don't know how to laugh at themselves. If the corporation does not manifest itself, it is because they are hidden, if the corporation responds, it is because they were forced. It's a real catch 22.

A proper apology vid would include:

1. Apologies for putting Billet Labs in the position LTT put them in by not testing the product properly with indication that LMG reached out to figure out settlement (not disclosing the £ value which should be kept private but rather indicating they would pay for lucrum cessans). 

2. Acknowledging GN claims to be true and THEN proposing the way forward.

3. It should have come from Linus directly as opposed to spreading the responsibility for the screw up to the team - he should own it as it's a direct result of him pressuring people to deliver quantity over quality.

4. Using other people in the video as support rather than scapegoats (Luke apologizing for not stopping Linus - wft? not to mention throwing Colton under the bus - going through this submissive exercise must have hurt his ego for sure).

The vid should have been announced as demonetized (as GN did) and not include cross promotion. This frequently repeated '... LTTstore.com' is really off-putting.

The latest LTT 'apology' vid meets none of the above criteria. Imo it has Linus wrath written allover it. Unless Linus is given a new project by the CEO he will damage the brand severely by his honest responses that will just show the people the state of mind he's currently in (blinded by money having lost contact with 'the room').

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I apologize for that I didn't read your comment right, this thread has been going quickly, and yeah I think Steve should have another test on 12vhpwr, doing the initial video and not revisting it has me wondering if the newer version of the connector is any better.

from what i heard and talk to a few engineers... its a bit better. but due to pc  case design and why they put it on the case panel side.

both the metal and the design. need to properly be re done.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just curious, not sure if anyone else has caught this as the thread moves pretty quick. Why did we not see the guy who said (paraphrasing) - "Better than hardware unboxed / gamers nexus". He should apologising for his awful take and trying to show themselves as been above someone else. 

I don't think this level of apology is even needed because this whole thing has been a mountain out of a molehill. If you've worked in business for any length of time you'd see far bigger screwups that never get acknowledged or fixed. And it's not like they didn't try and do right, they just failed, it's not deserving of this kind of drama.

LMG are being put under a microscope and held to an impossible standard.

The community - god bless them - is insane.

I approve that the reduction in video output is probably a good step to relieve the production teams and that they have to work on processes to avoid a lot of those mentioned errors.

But I simply don’t get it how all of this is such a huge thing. The key of an LTT video is the journalistic opinion of the host (in the case of the Billet video Linus opinion). I suppose that by watching the video one trusts his opinion and he expressed his opinion. 

So I find rather the opposite disappointing, that he has to admit to a mistake, which is not one, due to what I consider incomprehensible and disproportionate pressure from the public. An opinion cannot be wrong. His opinion was that the product is unnecessary and he has no interest in investing more time in it. That’s why we watch him. For his opinion and for the entertainment. 99.99% watching the video are not gonna buy a 800$ cooler for an old graphics card.
And finally, no false facts were stated. It was pointed out that the product was not used as recommended. 

Instead of blaming Linus for this to get a pr stunt, I think the right way for GamerNexus would have been to just do his own (more complete) review of the cooler and contact them about the other issues and give them the possibility to address the errors.

1 minute ago, nhand42 said:

I don't think this level of apology is even needed because this whole thing has been a mountain out of a molehill. If you've worked in business for any length of time you'd see far bigger screwups that never get acknowledged or fixed. And it's not like they didn't try and do right, they just failed, it's not deserving of this kind of drama.

yep

its why im staying subbed, keeping my floatplane sub going (will probably sub on twitch as well)

4 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I kind of don't like that there's jokes in this video that i think is to be a serious one...? :/

6 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

If only people were this passionate about climate crisis, starving millions, unnecessary wars, homelessness etc, then the world might be a better place

Then go spend your effort on those things instead of running defense for a multi millionaire that can't apologize without adding a "but" or a plug to his merch.

4 minutes ago, nhand42 said:

I work in IT and some broadcast.

You wouldn't believe the mess ups we have. It's just online culture is to the point of the smallest thing goes 10 bigger than it should.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

tone deft, didn't seem sincere for the Linus part, scripted and read like robots. And the worst part is we already seen the worst of Linus, of his toxic personality, a liar, a bad boss, bad work ethic. This doesn't change that. And there is even the bullying and sexual harassment problems.

Personally the guy is toxic and i'm done. And no one should support a person like this, he learned nothing, he paid a PR firm to clean up his shit and will be laughing to the bank with your money for buying overpriced crap to support his out of touch with reality multimillionaire lifestyle

5 minutes ago, nhand42 said:

Losing your credibility as an accurate provider of information is a mountain out of a molehill?
LTT has become the joke of the tech world when it comes to information. It is pure entertainment at this point but they still act like they are information providers.

Just wanted to add this: 

Taken from Glassdoor:

I assume its Madison and its 27th July 2022.

No proper/or explained HR system. Sexist remarks, coded language, and harassment were common place. Inappropriate actions, comments, and discussions frequently occurred. Including discussion about employees bodies, appearance, clothes, and wealth. Upper/middle management frequently misuse power. No way to report most incidents without issue, since the HR team was ALSO upper management. Feedback was consistently harsh and not constructive. Inappropriate language was commonly used while giving feedback. Meetings with unbalanced power dynamics were common place. Gaslighting situations frequently occurred. Unbiased 3rd parties were never present, or easily able to be requested in these meetings. Lack of proper communication between management and employees. Outside ventures frequently frowned upon, or limited by the company.

Consejos para la Dirección

Stop dismissing complaints because "everyone is friends here" it's a workplace, not a group hangout session. Get a proper HR team and take reports of harassment and inappropriate conduct seriously. Don't dismiss employees complaints.

4 minutes ago, SuperGnu said:

Losing your credibility as an accurate provider of information is a mountain out of a molehill?
LTT has become the joke of the tech world when it comes to information. It is pure entertainment at this point but they still act like they are information providers.

Sounds like the media to me.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Actions speak louder than words. I honestly went to LTT for most of my tech research and didn't ever think they were mistakes or representations done with products. I used to always go to multiple sources to find what the most accurate information is. I stopped doing that in the believe LTT was putting out the most accurate information. It truly sucks I can't trust LTT fully.

Take a damn vacation Linus. You can't draw water from an empty well. 

Take a break from work. You saying " Refocus on what matters most, which is bringing you guys the best damn content hat we can make". I honestly thought you would say family and friends. I feel like Linus has opened himself to feelings stressed out which leads to react rather than respond. I see a burnout setting on he's not as mentally sharp as he once was.

I don't ever take the time to post anything because I feel like nobody will read anything I say since I'm not involved in the community at all. But I felt strongly enough on this topic to post something. 

37 minutes ago, kurangak said:

exactly. they say LTT can keep the cooler. (for use in future build)

so when linus say he dont like the cooler, then, only then they asked it back

its "hey, u can keep the cooler if u want it for future build"
*some time later*
what? they dont like the cooler, we must get it back

not 'hey u can keep the cooler if u want to use it for future build, otherwise u should return it"

big difference

To me it reads like a condition, they can keep the cooler if (and only if) they were to consider making future videos.
The video review then made it very clear they had no such attention, thus breaking the conditional, which then triggered the other option, giving it back.

So the way I read it the "for use in future builds" is a necessary condition for them to let LTT keep the cooler.
If you think about it from from Billet Labs perspective this makes sense business wise as either it is an expense to get more marketing or they want it back.

Your version where "for use in fiture builds", is just a unnecessary additional statement suggesting a possible use (as if that wasn't clear anyway, they build computers) does not really make sense from Billet Labs perspective. It is a completely unnecessary expense for them.

3 hours ago, joaopt said:

they are all reading a script, this was clearly a PR firm job

Well yes. You can tell someone had to vet the scripts, because they are all looking at a teleprompter. Their eyes are fixed on point that isn't the camera.

Anyways beside the point. They probably had a lawyer vet it (which is what you are SUPPOSED TO DO) and tell them not to deviate from the script. This is a "We're sorry, we will do better" video, not a fluff bit.

When you have more than 10 staff, you should be running every communication you have with your clients through your lawyer, because the more staff you have, the greater the damage will be when someone's off-the-cuff statement lands in front of the wrong audience. That is what started all this. People saying things off the cuff, and then being called out on it, and quite frankly failing to read the room. Lack of communication, missing chain-of-custody for items they were supposed to review and return, sloppy editing techniques to "fix" videos with wrong information. No company is going to be perfect, and there will be mistakes, but there shouldn't be so much mistakes that someone doesn't even need to cherry pick a video to find it, they could have picked ANY video in the last 12 months and likely find at least 1 factually incorrect error, and several lazy edits made in post in a 16pt white font.

Like just from a business point of view, you DO NOT let people speak on behalf of the company who are not authorized to do so. Linus may be the face of the company, but he is not the CEO anymore, so he should NOT be speaking on behalf of LMG. That's now Terren's job.

There are other things things that Linus probably should have just just not spoke up about without a lawyer weighing in and instead running it to Terren to decide what, and who should apologize for it.

Long time forum user, first time poster!

I appreciate the apology, and while I personally don't enjoy the jokes/LTTstore plugs in the video as I felt they were somewhat distasteful for an apology, I can see how others might think it's funny. It's definitely a step in the right direction and I hope that we get some solid change in the future on the overall quality of videos.

However, I do think the Madison situation needs to be addressed. Address it via all of your socials that you've saw the accusations and then do an extremely thorough internal investigation to get answers. If any of it ends up being factual, she and anyone else who might have left LMG over those same kind of issues should be publicly apologized to and steps should be taken to assure something like this will never happen again.

Just now, Distinctly Average said:

Personally I don’t think it is in bad taste at all. If anyone is offended, “So fucking what” as Stephen Fry once said. Honestly, there are far worse things going on in the world than some little fuss over a few mistakes and poor judgement on a YouTube channel.

it would be interesting to have stats, how many mistakes have been made in how many videos. And then put those mistakes into context, whether they have had a detrimental effect on others or whether most people didn’t even notice or care about them.

+1 for your climate crisis example. 

What is a given:

- does LLT care, it absolutely does

- did they mess up, obviously

- Is their work culture hard on people and affects quality, yup

- will they do better, they always do (especially in comparison to other tech companies)

Truly think those are the real takeaways here.

Please don't attack either party (GN, Madison, LTT).

Reality is true to the observer. Her story should be internally be analyzed as a retrospective of how they got to where they are. GN, obviously cares about LTT's long-term future, but the truth hurts. This is why journalism is important and is beneficial to everyone. 

I think it's important that people understand that Rome wasnt built in a day. And anarchy isn't the solution here.

I wouldn't consider LTT a startup anymore, and some of the work culture that make startups successful are detrimental to companies. 

The tech space without LTT would be catastrophic, and I think that their capacity to do good is important to highlight. 

Wishing everyone can heal from this.

- A concerned community member.

22 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Do you, by any chance, have a direct insight in the personal life of anyone participating in this thread?

43 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Linus mentioning it was for charity doesn't really matter, they sold it off without asking, and thinking its ok to sell off an item without asking for charity doesn't make it any better, I think that makes it worse because now the charity is involved.

If it didn't matter why did GN highlight that it was bad to mention the charity and imply that the charity could now face repercussions? 

Steve was fine to point at how Linus worded things, it isn't semantics when a company the size of LMG should be more careful of how they word things.

GN were the ones that brought up the issue, if they hadn't the I doubt Billet would even be getting paid for the cost of the water block because LMG tried to ignore them, and LMG is at fault here for not sending it back when Billet asked them to.

Steve was fine to point out how things were worded. But he was wrong for then saying semantics didn't matter later in the video when talking about his own wording.

Did you watch LTT's video where they showed Colton sending the email (albeit making a mistake causing it to not actually be sent)? LMG didn't try to ignore them. Again, a false narrative is caused by GN's twisting words.

Steve isn't the one with an ego here, and no it's not digging up dirt, these were issues that were found in public videos. As for removing the monetization I think thats the correct thing to do as it removes any possibility of bias and avoids any issues with companies as sponsors getting upset because GN brought up issues that need to be addressed. Linus is the one with an ego and he's acting like the issues are personal ones, not with LMG as a company, he's doing corporate sounding PR here, with a positive spin and trying to make it funny to appeal to his audience.

Because spending hours creating a 44-minute video highlighting all your competitors' faults after they mention that their testing is better is perfectly normal practice? While the comment about testing was a distasteful comment. It's now clear why Steve didn't bother having an outburst about it on twitter, he was planning this.

20 minutes ago, ShadowedFox said:

Just curious, not sure if anyone else has caught this as the thread moves pretty quick. Why did we not see the guy who said (paraphrasing) - "Better than hardware unboxed / gamers nexus". He should apologising for his awful take and trying to show themselves as been above someone else. 

Yes, let's instigate a witch hunt against an employee who said something on what was basically a private tour that was never supposed to be put online. >_> 

If only this had been the initial response to the many concerns Steve highlighted in the Gamers Nexus video. I can only imagine the damage control that is taking place at LMG at this moment. Steve presented his concerns completely free of malice and Linus, frankly, blew a fantastic opportunity to get ahead of it all before this current video NEEDED to be uploaded. The Internet is a fickle place and when it comes to the "celebrities" and "influencers" we love and respect, there is very little room for errors or their failings to be caught in the open. I have no doubt this entire incident will be nothing more than a bump in the road to LTT when looking in the review mirror...but it is a bump that could have and should have been avoided with some, albeit difficult, internal honesty and review.

1 minute ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Yes, let's instigate a witch hunt against an employee who said something on what was basically a private tour that was never supposed to be put online. >_> 

But it was put online.

No matter the intentions. It was put online.