What do we do now?

LinusTech
8 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

- The tweet(s) by Madison I just saw are pretty bad. I more or less believe innocent til proven guilty, but also don't require a court of law to arrive at my own evaluations of guilt. Most stuff like billet don't matter much, and need a pattern for me to take that and say "you suck, game over, goodbye". If the Madison stuff holds up (I've just once read a tweet at 5am), that's a bigger strike. Take the time, be careful, apologize as appropriate, and don't get into ugly public blame games. I watch you for tech videos. That's what I want to see. When it comes to "drama" all I want to see is "as little as possible" and "when you have an actionable item, you do the right thing and don't repeat mistakes". That's it. People have focused a lot on billet labs and similar small incidents. I care less about those things. I care the most about quality content I don't have to audit as I watch and can "just trust". That's not been a thing in a long time. Quality hasn't kept up with scope, and that's the biggest issue I have. It isn't enough to make me leave, as I haven't yet, and I didn't need a GN video to figure out you have these issues. But it was enough to make me unsub from Jay a long time ago. So I do hope it doesn't get to that point. Sounds like you're gonna make serious efforts to prevent that though, and I look forward to it.

They wouldn't, it was way too early for them to even do anything and the video was already scheduled then people would get triggered at them for staying slient (not doing an apology video) and its also between her and LMG (as it would probably be a legal issue)

3 minutes ago, kurangak said:

and why did he need to apologize to steve? it should be the other way around. this whole shitstorm wont happen if steve actually PICK UP A GOD DAMN PHONE AND ASK LINUS about their side of the story

guess you didn't read his first apolo...excuse?

4 minutes ago, weez said:

They don't need to mention GN at all. GN isn't the topic. They don't need to apologize to GN, they don't need to give GN credit, they don't need to do anything for GN. 

His team DISSED GN in a public video... and HUB... and his shitty excuse of an apology too... so he most definetly need to cough up an apology

3 minutes ago, schtormm said:

how do you know this is Linus himself??? 

It was already mentioned by someone else, but it was signed at the end of the message with "LS" Linus Sebastian.

1 minute ago, Duranu said:

Well, they have lost 5k floatplane subs so far, at the low end of 5 dollars a month, that's a potential 25k dollar loss, at the unrealistic high end (unrealistic to assume all 5k subs were a 50 dollar a year plan that will never resub) it would be a potential loss of 250k dollars

Makes their shameless LTT store plug make a little more sense lol

A 25k loss doesn't really seem like much to a company like LMG, maybe the management of LMG thinks so though.

But I guess the LMG "brand" is them trying to be funny and put store plugs into their videos, what bothers me more though is the video is monetized, no need to monetize a video if its supposed to be an honest apology.

1 minute ago, kurangak said:

and why did he need to apologize to steve? it should be the other way around. this whole shitstorm wont happen if steve actually PICK UP A GOD DAMN PHONE AND ASK LINUS about their side of the story

Their side of factual mistakes? Their side of factually auctioning off a prototipe tha wasn't even theirs?

This is not a talk show, this is journalism. When you have factual information, you report on them. You don't have to respect any "par condicio" in these situations.

2 minutes ago, Mondodimotori said:

Some people are really incapable of "reading the room".

If everyone is being serious about a serious problem, you don't make dumb jokes.

PREACH.

You wouldn't see me blasting airhorns while dabbing and spinning fidget spinners at someone's funeral.

2 minutes ago, kurangak said:

Steve doesn't need to ask Linus anything. He didn't criticize Linus until Linus responded stupidly because he was butthurt. GamersNexus was criticizing LMG, company to company. If you can't see that maybe you need to take a remedial English class so you can learn how to interpret what was said in the original video.

Just now, DJ3thenew23 said:

Lmao how was it skewed at all? Your hero Linus literally admitted to everything being fair criticisms, the only thing he didn't do was apologize to Steve because his ego is too hurt.

In his second video, Steve made comments about gaslighting and also said that Linus was acting in bad faith by mentioning the charity as it might show the charity in a bad light which was never going to happen and there were never any comments towards the charity. Steve also poked at how Linus worded things specifically but when he was called on it he said he wouldn't get into semantics.  

GN/Billet also failed to mention that the cooler was originally given to LMG until they botched the review. Instead, GN went with the narrative that Billet's production was halted and it was all LMG's fault. 

I'm not saying LMG didn't mess up here because they clearly did. But Steve clearly had his ego damaged when the LTX video went live about testing practices and decided to dig up as much dirt as possible and then release it as one video which caused most of this drama. Removing monetization to look like the 'good guy' was a good manipulation tactic that a huge proportion of his fans fell for.    

Steve doesn't need to ask Linus anything. He didn't criticize Linus until Linus responded stupidly because he was butthurt. GamersNexus was criticizing LMG, company to company. If you can't see that maybe you need to take a remedial English class so you can learn how to interpret what was said in the original video.

Steve pointed out Linus multiple times in the video instead of LMG. But ok....

2 minutes ago, jaymansley said:

I mean, the video description said to discuss here... So, we're here...

spacer.png

The only problem is that you're not discussing anything.
I already understood that for you nothing would be enough and that to resolve this LTT should close its doors and everyone who works at LTT should be beaten to death.

Don't just comment on other people's reactions with pictures or sarcasm.

If you have something to say, say it!

4 minutes ago, weez said:

They don't need to apologize to GN, they don't need to give GN credit, they don't need to do anything for GN. 

I don't agree. GN started the fire, but the content produced from LTT was a ginormous dry haystack.

GN provided the evidence, the things done wrong that the whole public recognized as bad. Without GN video, the topic would not reach 241 pages (and counting), LMG would not have the idea of the damage they were doing. Probably Floatplane escape (and the possible fallout from other creators leaving from that) made adamant clear to them that something had to be done,

Inside and talking to outside.

Apologies are not due, credit should, IMVHO, to GN callout.

GN monetized from that? Not directly, however that might help receive traction and audience. As LMG, they are content creator. Public is food and king

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

7 minutes ago, schtormm said:

how do you know this is Linus himself??? 

Come on - lately all he's talking is about money, bottom line, investment etc. The guy clearly has his first contact with real money and he's not grasping the entire situation, blinded by greed, wanting to get to the $1bn mark sooner than possible. He should learn to eat soup with a spoon as eating with a ladle will get his shirt dirty as shown in this case

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A 25k loss doesn't really seem like much to a company like LMG, maybe the management of LMG thinks so though.

But I guess the LMG "brand" is them trying to be funny and put store plugs into their videos, what bothers me more though is the video is monetized, no need to monetize a video if its supposed to be an honest apology.

Probably not, but when you (Linus) were bitching about 500 dollars being too much of a cost to do the review properly, potentially losing 25k dollars minimum over it and the whole situation has to be at least some what of a gut puncher, spend 500 dollars or lose 25k dollars, seems like that should be an easy choice in hindsight since he obviously wouldn't have pictured the sub drop off happening lol

2 minutes ago, Baron_Samedi said:

The only problem is that you're not discussing anything.
I already understood that for you nothing would be enough and that to resolve this LTT should close its doors and everyone who works at LTT should be beaten to death.

Don't just comment on other people's reactions with pictures or sarcasm.

If you have something to say, say it!

If you actually read my previous responses, or if you actually have a reading comprehension at all, all I want for LMG is for them to treat their employees and sponsors better moving forward. And that does not nullify my criticism towards the apology video, in which I still have problems with it such as the inappropriate jokes while also not addressing the Madison situation.

6 minutes ago, weez said:

They don't need to mention GN at all. GN isn't the topic. They don't need to apologize to GN, they don't need to give GN credit, they don't need to do anything for GN. 

No they don't but it would've been a nice thing to do if there was some mention of GN, though I find it a bit ironic that Linus thinks GN needed to contact him first, yet Linus still seems upset about this whole thing and refuses to even acknowledge GN of these issues, even if for just the Billet block and paying for it only after GN mentioned it.

1 minute ago, Woddell said:

In his second video, Steve made comments about gaslighting and also said that Linus was acting in bad faith by mentioning the charity as it might show the charity in a bad light which was never going to happen and there were never any comments towards the charity. Steve also poked at how Linus worded things specifically but when he was called on it he said he wouldn't get into semantics.  

GN/Billet also failed to mention that the cooler was originally given to LMG until they botched the review. Instead, GN went with the narrative that Billet's production was halted and it was all LMG's fault. 

I'm not saying LMG didn't mess up here because they clearly did. But Steve clearly had his ego damaged when the LTX video went live about testing practices and decided to dig up as much dirt as possible and then release it as one video which caused most of this drama. Removing monetization to look like the 'good guy' was a good manipulation tactic that a huge proportion of his fans fell for.    

This is factually incorrect. Yeah the cooler was given to them for the review, and they expected LTT to either keep it to use properly later (shown by the emails in LTT's video) or give it back, neither of which happened. The "narrative" was truthful because Billet's steps were halted as they had to make a new prototype. Are you this unable to follow basic conversation?

It's great to see finally some change brought to LTT but it's sad to see that it took backlash for any kind of action over criticism and issues that have already been raised by the community. I hope there's no animosity towards GN, they did not seem to me at least to have any kind of ill intent and I hope you continue to have a healthy relationship with them. They were not mentioned at all during the video, maybe it wasn't needed but it felt like mentioning them is a bit taboo. I strongly believe scrutiny, when taken well, is beneficial overall if you're seeking to improve.

9 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

- The tweet(s) by Madison I just saw are pretty bad. I more or less believe innocent til proven guilty, but also don't require a court of law to arrive at my own evaluations of guilt. Most stuff like billet don't matter much, and need a pattern for me to take that and say "you suck, game over, goodbye". If the Madison stuff holds up (I've just once read a tweet at 5am), that's a bigger strike. Take the time, be careful, apologize as appropriate, and don't get into ugly public blame games.
care less about those things. I care the most about quality content I don't have to audit as I watch and can "just trust". That's not been a thing in a long time.

- markbench open source (and testing methodology) will be great. I have professionally worked on these things when I was at Intel. I care enough to give feedback, and hope I get the chance to do so. I want my local tech media company to succeed.

This seems like a pretty reasonable opinion.
Peer review for testing methodology is pretty standard and I think its a good thing (I just hope they don't paywall it, that would be weird).

Personally I think the Madison stuff seems pretty credible and not too far fetched, it also seems to be consistent with heir Glass Door review. So I am inclined to believe her, personally I think it should be addressed (as in "we are aware of it, we will deal with it") and then taken seriously internally. Even if not everything is 100% accurate and true, it should still be taken very seriously and should lead to internal changes.

The jokes and so on were odd but I honestly think the video is only relevant in what they addressed and what they left out. What really matters is if this will actually change something about the problems.
(Also in regard to them not mentioning GN, it feels like they might be willing to burn that bridge, at least for the foreseeable future).

1 minute ago, jaymansley said:

If you actually read my previous response, or if you actually have a readin comprehension at all, all I want for LMG is for them to treat their employees and sponsors better moving forward. And that does not nullify my criticism towards the apology video, in which I still have problems with it such as the inappropriate jokes while also not addressing the Madison situation.

The Madison situation just unfolded so you can't expect them to react to this in this video.

Aorus X570 Elite - Ryzen 5700X - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC - 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Woddell said:

Steve pointed out Linus multiple times in the video instead of LMG. But ok....

Linus is an employee at LMG so obviously he's going to be in clips, but there were no personal attacks or criticisms until the second video. Stop blindly defending your hero and realize everyone can make mistakes.

This is factually incorrect. Yeah the cooler was given to them for the review, and they expected LTT to either keep it to use properly later (shown by the emails in LTT's video) or give it back, neither of which happened. The "narrative" was truthful because Billet's steps were halted as they had to make a new prototype. Are you this unable to follow basic conversation?

They would've had to make a new prototype anyway if they didn't ask for it back (which they only did after the negative video).  

Linus is an employee at LMG so obviously he's going to be in clips, but there were no personal attacks or criticisms until the second video. Stop blindly defending your hero and realize everyone can make mistakes.

I realise everyone can make mistakes. Including Steve/GN. That's the part you're missing. 

1 minute ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

yea... about that

image.thumb.png.aed4a3fbc53583cebac96916724f214d.png

2 minutes ago, kurangak said:

What "side of the story"? Billet Labs thing was just 1 of MANY mistakes addressed by Steve. In the end LTT should be grateful to Steve for pushing them to do better. Because they should do better. In the end this will not only benefit viewers, but also LTT itself. We as creators hate to take criticism, not gonna lie. And I'm a literal nobody compared to LTT, just a guy who posts on his blog and makes random stuff that might be useful to others, but I do release things publicly and I have a certain userbase and I've encountered some issues or complaints and I know it sucks to read them. But in the end owning stuff and making things better helps you too in the end. So, yeah.