What do we do now?

LinusTech

"LMG has been very unethical in not fact checking and error correcting their videos."

Tonight: Prerecorded WAN show that they've been working all week on in order to fact check and error correct and reshoot with the plan to do this every week.

5 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

"LMG has been very unethical in not fact checking and error correcting their videos."

Tonight: Prerecorded WAN show that they've been working all week on in order to fact check and error correct and reshoot with the plan to do this every week.

I doubt it, if they do have a wan show I have a feeling they'll be addressing suggestions made in lab transparency (among other things), given how the topic was created today of all days :). Plus, that simply isn't what the wan show is, it has to be live to work.

What I find interesting is the lack of communication now that the self imposed week long deadline is gone. They didn't need to publish a video, they just needed to touch base. The lack of anything at all is what's disturbing and I think a lot of people don't realize this and go "why no video" because to them that's the form of communication they're used to.

37 minutes ago, Elliott Dyson said:

I doubt it, if they do have a wan show I have a feeling they'll be addressing suggestions made in lab transparency (among other things), given how the topic was created today of all days :). Plus, that simply isn't what the wan show is, it has to be live to work.

Agreed. 👍

I was only kidding. 😆

6 minutes ago, Kitsunelaine said:

What I find interesting is the lack of communication now that the self imposed week long deadline is gone. They didn't need to publish a video, they just needed to touch base. The lack of anything at all is what's disturbing and I think a lot of people don't realize this and go "why no video" because to them that's the form of communication they're used to.

They don't need to do anything, they could drop off the face of the earth and not say anything and people would still not be owed any explanation. 

1 minute ago, Woofer21 said:

They don't need to do anything, they could drop off the face of the earth and not say anything and people would still not be owed any explanation. 

I mean I'm operating under the assumption that they're interested in not self immolating. (You know, even more.)

You can operate under whatever assumption you want.

2 hours ago, Antonio_Mostaccioli said:

I understand the concern for wanting to put a halt to all production because of concerns for accuracy.  But how much skin are you really losing in the game if you toss a single disclosure statement of (done for entertainment purposes) at the bottom of a video description and just upload something?  The extent of this blackout gives the impression the show is going to be about as dry and boring as a GamersNexus video.  Guess what, they're drab and uninteresting. I watch for Linus antics. I watch for Linus and Alex antics. I watch for Linus and awkward Adam antics. I watch for awkward Dan feedback. I watch for the background commentary on TechLinked. How much of this is your core audience, and are you seriously about to alienate us because of a sharped tongued criticism of benchmarking standards? Yall got any more of them LTT videos?

i suspect alot of viewers watch for the same reason Antonio, and this is going to be a difficult thing to compute in LMG - how can they mix the 'easy going' and comical video content in front of the camera and behind the scenes be very very strict and robust - it is asking alot of the writers and presenters in particular to be slightly schizophrenic in their work mentality (presenters in particular dont easily come across as charismatic and entertaining in front of a camera if they have to be so cold and sterile with the backend work) ..

Also LMG has expanded quickly these last couple of years or less, you can't get that many employee's onboard on what is virtually a new 'type of company' without some serious issues - for every linus-style godsend you have, there will be 15-20 'okays' , and 'okays' are there to just do a job ... 

very very difficult to balance this ...

-= Cleaned =-

Keep comments civil and within the means of the CS. Regardless of how long you have been a member. 🤨

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I would die for their next video to be an updated review of the RC firetruck, with Luke filming at the original NCIX building in that back storage room. 

with a charted graph from the LMG Labs team comparing firetruck to the RC tank.

First LMG need to hire 3rd party to do an audit on the current HR policies. At this point it should not be bare minimum, it should be employee centric. Modify your policies based on recommendation. Post the policies publically as transparency initiative. It should be indexed so as to navigate fast and searchable. This will both help employees to access it and viewers to get a piece of mind.

Many HR policies might be unknown to even employees.

There should be HRMS software that is used, so that there is log of every complaints, actions etc. (This is private to relevant parties)

Yearly complaince audit should be done by third party, this involves things like how complainrs was handled. Surveys on various aspects. Etc.

WAN Show Comments?  Please continue that conversation here...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Not just targeting you here, but others too.

Innocent until proven guilty does not mean completely dismiss the other side's claims. "JusticeForLinus" implies he's been done wrong. I missed the court case with no representation I guess. 

A person can be on both sides. Taking claims seriously while not condemning either side until the investigation is done. Since it's the most recent one, in the Johnny Depp court case, people were jumping on both sides before all the evidence was out there, just like people are doing here too.

People also seem to have forgotten the foreshadowing in tweets from a couple years ago when a certain person quit LTT as well as Tweets back to 2017 that hint at issues in the LMG work place. 

There's more evidence in front of people if they'd chose not to ignore it..

Hide contents

Madison "Suop" aka the girl behind the tweets is leaving LMG! - Page 2 -  Off Topic - Linus Tech Tips

Madison quit : r/LinusTechTips

14 hours ago, Kazlehoff said:

Depp: Both sucked, and while Depp may or may not have been guilty of exactly what he was accused of, plenty has surfaced since that neither Heard nor Depp are people you would want to invite to dinner. Kind of an "Everyone's buttholes here" situation.

Vic: an assaulter. Got canned from multiple roles, including DBZ and RWBY. Later tried suing everyone involved, all his claims got dismissed, and he was forced to pay everyone's legal fees. Because he's an assaulter.

Alec: Game programmer. Accused of Assaulting a woman. Was let go by the company he was with. The company agreed with the situation. Couple days later, committed self-harm and is no longer around. Nothing was ever proven, for or against.

Gina: MMA fighter. Hired by Lucasarts to be in the Mandalorian. Was also in Deadpool, and Fast 6. Regular dog whistle nods to racism, transphobia, and to being an Alt-Wrong person, enough so that Lucasarts canned her.

Can you explain what, exactly, the point you were trying to make here was? Because it sure doesn't sound like "cancel culture". Depp won his lawsuit, but is still not a good person. The others were pretty obviously bad actors.

Are you seriously trying to compare Linus to Alt-wrong racist transphobic Nazi leaning assaulter?

Do better, man.

Do not deflect from what I am saying. The point I am making is a valid one.

I used the previously mentioned cases as examples of how CancelCulture has historically overstepped the boundaries of ethics (and basic human decency) to behave like a lynch-mob, put people on trial, destroy individuals' lives and careers. I don't care what a person is accused of. I'm not a Judge. But I do care that everybody has a basic human right to have a fair chance to explain themselves and defend themselves. I'm saying #JusticeForLinus because CancelCulture is very clearly hijacking this situation on social media (and in this forum) to control the narrative. Otherwise, why all of the sudden hate and calls for Linus to be removed from the company he made?

Put yourselves in Linus' shoes. Wouldn't you want people to have the deceny to let you defend yourself?

We are not Judges. We don't have all the facts. Only Linus does, and he'll say something when there is something to be said. Meanwhile, everybody needs to take a deep breath, chill out, and back away from this.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:03 PM, BeefSupreme said:

People are really upset that LTT didn't upload a video EXACLY one week after the last one? Jesus Christ, if that's really making you upset then I would recommend touching grass ASAP.

literally

On 8/26/2023 at 12:45 AM, Shawn Hopscotch said:

Do not deflect from what I am saying. The point I am making is a valid one.

I used the previously mentioned cases as examples of how CancelCulture has historically overstepped the boundaries of ethics (and basic human decency) to behave like a lynch-mob, put people on trial, destroy individuals' lives and careers. I don't care what a person is accused of. I'm not a Judge. But I do care that everybody has a basic human right to have a fair chance to explain themselves and defend themselves. I'm saying #JusticeForLinus because CancelCulture is very clearly hijacking this situation on social media (and in this forum) to control the narrative. Otherwise, why all of the sudden hate and calls for Linus to be removed from the company he made?

Put yourselves in Linus' shoes. Wouldn't you want people to have the deceny to let you defend yourself?

We are not Judges. We don't have all the facts. Only Linus does, and he'll say something when there is something to be said. Meanwhile, everybody needs to take a deep breath, chill out, and back away from this.

I really agree with this, cancel culture has destroyed a lot of people's lives

On 8/23/2023 at 11:44 PM, Woofer21 said:

I personally believe they will start content again soon regardless of the maddision allegations, there is nothing more they an do about it until the investigation is complete 

On 8/23/2023 at 9:51 PM, AbsoluteWoo said:

Absolutely laughable people claiming Linus is done, he needs to retire, the brand is dead etc. They don't release that 95% of the mob with their pitchforks have moved on to the next 'scandal.' By this time next week everything will be back to normal and the Madison controversy will be dealt with behind closed doors.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:03 PM, Skipple said:

I don't understand how or why an internal HR investigation would hinder their ability to produce videos. 

lmao stop it. No one is accusing Linus of anything directly. The worst thing Linus has been accused of re:Madison is mismanagement of an HR situation. There is absolutely no reason to suspect he will need to step away for any length of time.

Ok people, you were all right and I guess I got a bit carried away with the true scale of the drama and owe you an apology.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, sercasti said:

Basic Ethics common sense in media, before you publish something (video, article, blog), you reach out to that person/company/actor to tell them about it, and give them a heads up.

Publishing a video highlighting every error and mistake from LTT without calling Linus first was a jerk move by GN, and it means they wanted to create this crappy situation.

Intentions do matter... accidentally screwing up some graphs or failing to return a GPU because of a miscommunication is one thing, but intentionally publishing a hate piece is wrong, in my opinion

I don't agree. He explains why he didn't in the video. It would not serve the consumer to inform LMG first, but the damage done to Millit and other companies had already been done.

The most glaring proof that LMG should not have been informed first is the highly unprofessional outburst from Linus done just three hours after the first critical video.

The simple fact is that if there were no truths in that video then things would not have played out as they did. We have to stop with the whole cult-following culture. It's part of the reason why politics are as fucked as they are.

• 3 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, dw95_ said:
Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation.
Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation. Please address the Madison situation.

• 2 months later...

I watched this video initially, without knowing what was going on. I was very confused, because it didn't seem to make much sense and didn't exactly explain what was going on.

Then I did some research. Now, I'm willing to express my thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I think you guys are great. Your videos are informative, funny, and entertaining. While I don't really like the sexual comments made in some of your videos (it's not often, but IMHO it's annoying), I do think that for the most part, you guys are honest and open to your fan base, and are willing to express your opinions on whatever you're covering.

That said, I think people need to understand that we're all human. We all make mistakes. Miscommunication happens, and being tired of doing certain things also happens with everyone and anyone. I believe that when you run a company that publishes information, people expect you to be 100% accurate and never mess up.

Look, peeps. You can't just go by what LMG says; if you want to get a better idea of what tech is capable of, see what other Youtubers and tech enthusiasts say! I'm sure Linus and group will agree with me in saying, basically, don't just go with what they say. Do your own research. If you have the money and resources, you can even do your own tests - nothing extreme and potentially dangerous, mind you (for instance, Linus spilled an entire Coke in a PC - don't do that), but stuff like PC benchmarks do work.

It's not that I believe that LMG is incorrect and biased, but I also happen to know about the "tech gamble". In other words, no two computers, even with the same hardware, are going to have exactly the same performance. Due to the way silicon chips are made, imperfections in the computer chips can make it where one chip of the same batch is not as powerful as another. This is especially true in overclocking situations, but it can also affect game consoles, as well.

You also have to take into consideration that some things can be quietly remade without changing the exterior side of things. Austin Evans has a for-example (approx. a 13-min watch):

What's interesting is that Austin tested two PS5s with the same chip and got different results. This is because of the way they distributed heat and electricity; the heat sinks and wattages were different for all three models. So theoretically, Linus could review a brand-spanking new piece of tech, like a smartphone, but if it quietly changes later on (i.e. a newer processor installed without much fanfare), and Linus doesn't re-evaluate the situation simply because he didn't know, people may think he's lying because their benchmarks differ from what he said.

That's not Linus' fault. If anything, it's the fault of the company behind the product for not letting it be better known.

Addressing the water cooler build... I mean, come on. There really is no "right way" to install a water cooler. I think Linus and team did fine enough with that; expecting them to examine every single situation on how a water cooler is installed is overkill, and really ruins the joy and passion Linus and company put into these vids. You want accuracy? You want exact measurements? Get a whole bunch of these things, install them on every PC that can be built, and benchmark each one.

Yeah, LMG can't do that, either.

As for the allegations? I think they responded appropriately. I honestly don't know if they're true, but even if they were, I think LMG handled it well.

So... That's my opinion. Do with it what you will. Just so you know, I don't hate any of you. ❤️🙏🏻👍🏻

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB