Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, IHAVOKI said:

Agreed, they should do it equally to all parties they research and or call out for issues. If they GN only reached out too let's say Newegg and never any other entity it could look like bias towards just Newegg but this is not the case GN Steve cherry pick. 

There is no ethical obligation to get a comment.

1 minute ago, _Hexenhammer_ said:

You misunderstood their example.

They mean the comment is already in the public domain, but when the video came out it wasnt yet.

And you misunderstood the second one too.

All the errors were found in public videos. The auction was shown in a public video. Those are public domain issues to be reported on. That you don't understand how even perceived preferential treatment could be an ethical violation is not my problem, and doesn't change that GN didn't act unethically here.

4 hours ago, FRESHYLEMON said:

Not even close to resembling a decent debate point that you think it is lmfao. Like what was this even supposed to add to the discussion? I can easily, easily, so easily find forums belonging to a company where there is negativity that was "allowed" to remain... Every video game forum has players negatively commenting on the company and developers in addition to a far more vitriolic stance than what has taken place here on these forums. So I ask again, what's your argument point? We saw LMG remove a quantity of comments related to Madison as well on YouTube as well. So... yeah. EDIT: Probably before you even see the original but I'll leave it in cross-out, but there are mentions of YouTube's algorithm taking out the comments so I'll remove this debate point.

I wasn’t including the Madison situation in my statement. However, when a company is dealing with employment allegations against them, or by them, that situation has serious legal ramifications and follows a completely different set of rules. I’m not positive about Canadian laws but the entire Madison situation is would be a very explosive situation from a litigation standpoint if it was in the USA. 

My original argument/point was about intent. I have personally seen more examples of censorship by companies when dealing with problems rather than letting the discussion play out on their own social media. Reddit comes to mind. I also can’t say one way or another if the other companies you have seen take the same approach as LMG/LTT regarding such discontent did so out of good intent or not. 

29 minutes ago, Lurker_Letum said:

Never heard of this guy but he seems decent at reporting things unbiased. GN should take notes.

This would have never come out without the GN video though.

32 minutes ago, throwawayManMode said:

They pretty much have to cancel the WAN show this week right?

Why? They addressed it. You can disagree with how, but they did address it.

Now if they censor the WAN show and refuse to bring this up even obliquely that will be lame.

1 minute ago, bandainamcofan said:

Also as per code of journalistic ethics Diligently seek subjects of news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing. This has been explained to you.

All the errors were found in public videos. The auction was shown in a public video. Those are public domain issues to be reported on. That you don't understand how even perceived preferential treatment could be an ethical violation is not my problem, and doesn't change that GN didn't act unethically here.

Billet Lab information was not all from public video. This has been explained to you.

Just now, bandainamcofan said:

Never said he had any ethical obligation he has none correct, but he should have. It's all our personal opinion's what Steve and Linus do with all of this is their problem. 

4 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

basically zero investment in the content from either LMG or GN

It is in my objective best interests that both LMG and GN provide accurate consumer information.

6 minutes ago, nasir91 said:

Too many LTT bootlickers in this thread. As a dude who has been following LTT since the NCIX days I can tell you that Linus has changed a lot of consequently the channel as a whole. 

Yup. I remember him as a lowly employee at NCIX, making simple unboxing videos. Well, we all know what happened to the clusterfuck horrowshow that was NCIX. The rot spreads deep. 

“The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it doesn't include me, and it never has. no matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.” ― George Carlin

11 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

It is in my objective best interests that both LMG and GN provide accurate consumer information.

Great! But denying GN/Steve has a process that he's changed for LMG, isn't getting anyone closer to that. You're just arguing against a clearly demonstrated process, that GN has used in these types of videos for years, a process Steve has been patting himself on the back for. It doesn't matter if there's some general ethics code that doesn't require it, or that there's no legal requirement, none of that matters; A person making and congratulating themselves for their own guidelines and then changing them arbitrarily, isn't operating from some supreme plane of existence.

Add to that that Steve himself visibly hitches when he makes his statement defending not contacting LMG, it's clear even he isn't 100% sure of his actions. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Is nothing ever supposed to change?  A YouTuber Chris Ramsey a magician had to take break because he needed to change things up because he was running out of ideas. Creating content on a mass scale for 15,000,000 people isn't easy. Is all we want is Linus to just sit on a couch for 50 years and just open boxes? I suspect we would all get bored and move on to other pasture's human get bored and move on quickly if they are not entertained anymore. 

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Great! But denying GN/Steve has a process that he's changed for LMG, isn't getting anyone closer to that. You're just arguing against a clearly demonstrated process, that GN has used in these types of videos for years, a process Steve has been patting himself on the back for. It doesn't matter if there's some general ethics code that doesn't require it, or that there's no legal requirement, none of that matters. A person making and congratulating themselves for their own guidelines and then changing them arbitrarily, isn't operating from some supreme plane of existence.

You've been repeatedly shown why he doesn't need to reach for comment and an argument for why he shouldn't. He also explicitly stated that he felt treating LMG lightly earlier, as you're suggesting he should have done again, go against the standards he wants to uphold. 

You've been repeatedly shown why he doesn't need to reach for comment and an argument for why he shouldn't. He also explicitly stated that he felt treating LMG lightly earlier, as you're suggesting he should have done again, go against the standards he wants to uphold. 

Also as per code of journalistic ethics Diligently seek subjects of news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing. This has been explained to you.

GN has a past history of reaching out and therefore not reaching out showed different treatment. This has been explained to you.

You know I am genuinely happy that LMG was called out regardless of whether or not it was by Gamers Nexus.
If nobody had called this out, they may just have kept doing the same shady testing practices that they were doing before.

To be honest the apology video made me feel a bit better about Linus's response and if those emails were truly sent to the wrong people then I can understand the confusion. 
Not to say LMG's internal structure doesn't need a massive overhaul, cause it does.
If i'm saying anything, I'm not going to stop watching LTT and I'm excited to see the much needed changes this will make. 

2 minutes ago, TheSilverSpade said:

You know I am genuinely happy that LMG was called out regardless of whether or not it was by Gamers Nexus.
If nobody had called this out, they may just have kept doing the same shady testing practices that they were doing before.

To be honest the apology video made me feel a bit better about Linus's response and if those emails were truly sent to the wrong people then I can understand the confusion. 
Not to say LMG's internal structure doesn't need a massive overhaul, cause it does.
If i'm saying anything, I'm not going to stop watching LTT and I'm excited to see the much needed changes this will make. 

LMG needed the shake up. The videos over the 6 months and especially the last month feel like they dropped in quality significantly. Along with the errors coming out of the labs and in errors in just basic script, things just were not looking good. I hope he is giving his employees a long weekend without needed to be on call at all so they get some much need R&R and can come back to things with a fresh new outlook.

Edited by Lurker_Letum
grammar

6 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

No, I've been repeatedly told how there's no legal or industry-standard requirement, but that doesn't change that up until now, Steve has made it his own requirement of making contact. He could have listened, not bought the explanation from LMG, and proceeded anyway. Just because you hear a response from someone doesn't automatically mean you have to believe it, or that you cannot then form a position with that new information in mind.

He can make all the excuses he wants. I unsubscribed from his channel already, because it's really just sad watching someone abandon their own steadfast beliefs to kick-up dirt and make drama. Steve shouldn't need to do that, if he's as amazing of a tech industry watchdog as he claims to be.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

19 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

I agree, both need to provide accurate information, and I think its even more important for LMG to provide more accurate information because of the influence they have on the tech community.  LMG bringing up ethics as if they did nothing wrong and its somehow GN's fault seems disingenuous to me, and feels like they're punching down at GN and LMG as they're able to provide good data, Linus thinks he can just throw money at the issue of accurate information when money isn't the issue.  Also LMG trying to make themselves look good is probably to get fans to side with them as well, as people keep being hyper focused on GN not asking for contact even though they didn't have to, when GN hasn't done anything wrong here.

I find it ironic that GN needed to ask for contact, yet LMG had thrown shade at them twice and didn't ask for contact to discuss things first or even apologize for making those comments.

And if people are still mad at GN and think they did it for "drama" at this point there isn't any way to get them to understand the important part of the discussion which isn't whether or not GN asked first.

44 minutes ago, Lurker_Letum said:

Never heard of this guy but he seems decent at reporting things unbiased. GN should take notes.

jeeeeez dude.

What's your goal behind repeating the same thing every few minutes? Repeating statements regularly creates an illusion of credibility?

You disagree with the way GN handled it, fine. Thanks for sharing. See ya

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Steve has made it his own requirement of making contact

Where? Just because he has done before doesn't necessarily mean he considers it a requirement.

3 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

Where? Just because he has done before doesn't necessarily mean he considers it a requirement.

Doing something like a dozen times, claiming it's a thing you do, but then changing your tune for one certain instance, is as good as anything to demonstrate a broken pattern. You don't see that, somehow, it's almost like you didn't watch GN's prior content like this. Either that, or you're just arguing with me and other people because it's SOP for brigading drama-seekers.

You've been here two days, just arguing with people constantly and hating-on the people that created this place; That is your extent of engagement with this community for all anyone else here knows.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, TMPVC said:

jeeeeez dude.

What's your goal behind repeating the same thing every few minutes? Repeating statements regularly creates an illusion of credibility?

You disagree with the way GN handled it, fine. Thanks for sharing. See ya

Majority of my comments have been responses to other people responding to me. Or following up bandainamcofan since he keeps posting the same thing so I'll keep responding with the same correction. However my latest comment wasn't even about GN.

I feel like the people that are obsessed with wanting to discredit GN over contacting them first are people that don't even watch GN's videos anyway, because there are times where he doesn't ask a company before he does a review pointing out the faults in those products and bad decisions the company made. The prebuilt PC's from companies like Alienware is an example, Steve even buys those himself to avoid any bias with sponsorships, LMG is a company, not your friend, and I don't see why LMG needs to be exempt from fair criticism.

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Doing something like a dozen times, claiming it's a thing you do, but then changing your tune for one certain instance, is as good as anything to demonstrate a broken pattern. You don't see that, somehow, it's almost like you didn't watch GN's prior content like this.

So you have no evidence that he considers this a standard, you have convinced yourself of it being a standard instead of a thing he actually has every right to chose to do or not do at will per story (which lines up with journalism standards) and ascribe malice to his motives because of it.

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

hating-on the people that created this place

I've done no such thing. I don't believe you have any interest in having a discussion, and I will not be engaging with you further. Have a lovely day.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I feel like the people that are obsessed with wanting to discredit GN over contacting them first are people that don't even watch GN's video anyway, because there are times where he doesn't ask a company before giving a company before he does a review and point out the faults in those products and bad decisions the company made. The prebuilt PC's from companies like Alienware is an example, Steve even buys those himself to avoid any bias with sponsorships, LMG is a company, not your friend, and I don't see why LMG needs to be exempt from fair criticism.

'obsessed', yeah, pointing-out a significant divergence in procedure is not that. The Noah Katz guy directly stole tens of thousands of dollars from customers and still got contacted. There's no excuse for Steve to give Noah Katz and his company a better shake than LMG.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Damn, I bet binging with Babish regrets namechecking HU and GN during the labs tour, that's what really kicked all this off.