Dear heavens above why ""float plane""??????

sealclubber

Listen I only made an LLT forums account for this, I'll never log in again and I'll never check it, BUT WHY IN THE HEAVENS ABOVE did these guys decide on "float plane" as a name for their streaming service?  Call it LTT+ call it LTT premium and I'll sign up in a day. But "FLOAT PLANE?!?!?!?!" I know most won't agree with me but that has got to be the worst name in the history of naming products. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I hear one of the crew motion "float plane" my watch spikes and says " you are having high stress/ blood pressure, why not take a break?". IT IS JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! I expect this topic to get no traction because "you're being stupid", binned "this subject is off topic" or ignored, but I need to vent this. I want to and wish I could subscribe to LTT's extra channel, but I just can't. float plane is JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! call me a 12 year old, call me dumb, call me stupid, but I have to get this off my chest, it's been sitting here far a few years now

From all I know it's supposed to be an open streaming service, it's not supposed to be specific to LTT which is why it is it's own separate company/entity.

LTT simply posts on Floatplane like any other social media service. It's not like other social media companies have better names that make sense either.

What does the words tube, and you, have to do with videos? Didn't know the 'tube' referred to television as I haven't heard of that, but thank you for all your kind replies.

Edited by NPSTR107

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

19 minutes ago, sealclubber said:

Listen I only made an LLT forums account for this, I'll never log in again and I'll never check it, BUT WHY IN THE HEAVENS ABOVE did these guys decide on "float plane" as a name for their streaming service?  Call it LTT+ call it LTT premium and I'll sign up in a day. But "FLOAT PLANE?!?!?!?!" I know most won't agree with me but that has got to be the worst name in the history of naming products. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I hear one of the crew motion "float plane" my watch spikes and says " you are having high stress/ blood pressure, why not take a break?". IT IS JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! I expect this topic to get no traction because "you're being stupid", binned "this subject is off topic" or ignored, but I need to vent this. I want to and wish I could subscribe to LTT's extra channel, but I just can't. float plane is JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! call me a 12 year old, call me dumb, call me stupid, but I have to get this off my chest, it's been sitting here far a few years now

Opinions are like... Yeah, you know the rest. 

But fair enough, sometimes marketing and slogans just grind our gears. 

I personally don't take offense, because A, waterplanes are cool imo, and possible B, I'm not a native English speaker, so it was just a name to me. 

And C, when told the explanation, it makes good sense. It's just a name and it's not a thoung twister. Could be a lot worse 🙂

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

There are 21 creators on floatplane, it's not "LTT Plus".

Also it's been explained on WAN show a few times, you can look for the clips.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

40 minutes ago, sealclubber said:

It aint that serious

i do have to mention this...

38 minutes ago, sealclubber said:

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I hear one of the crew motion "float plane" my watch spikes and says " you are having high stress/ blood pressure, why not take a break?

if the name of a video platform thought of by the people who gave you such titles as:

- Fast As Possible

- Verified Actual Gamers In North America

- tech "quickie"

- Mac Address

- 'linus' media group

- Yvonne umberella corporation

- probably a few more i've missed...

upsets you to the point that it causes a severe spike in blood pressure, i think the correct solution is therapy, because this is actually a mental condition with serious health implications.

This has been asked on WAN Show a few times, and the answer is generally something like this:

"Because it may not take off, but it sure as hell won't sink."

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

This has been asked on WAN Show a few times, and the answer is generally something like this:

"Because it may not take off, but it sure as hell won't sink."

But what if someone replaced the water with liquified helium to conduct LK-99 superconductor experiments?!!!!!

6 hours ago, sealclubber said:

Are you new to LMG ?

I thought Floatplane was an odd name for like a week, and then I stopped second-guessing it. Now that it's been about 7 years of watching LTT, I've completely forgotten that Floatplane is a weird name for newcomers.

idk, it's kind of like the Wii or iPad.. it just sounds normal once you hear it enough times.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Interesting how many direct replies when he specifically states he won't ever check.

So much reaction to a troll.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

5 hours ago, sealclubber said:

why does the name matter so much?

If you like a product or service, what does the name mean?

Would Pizza taste different if it had a different name?  Would Windows not suck if it had an open source name?

6 hours ago, sealclubber said:

Actually they covered this on WAN Show recently.

Simply put:  Because they wanted an easy .com Domain Name.  2 Simple Words that would be easily remembered and spelled.

And there ain't many of them left in the world, so they took it.

30 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Interesting how many direct replies when he specifically states he won't ever check.

So much reaction to a troll.

Fun fact:

Unless they changed their profile on login (which for a single-shot use like this, they probably didn't) the default is to get an email when you receive a DM.  

Just sayin'.  😉

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Fun fact:

Unless they changed their profile on login (which for a single-shot use like this, they probably didn't) the default is to get an email when you receive a DM.  

Just sayin'.  😉

And no way he can avoid reading his email, it's ingrained for these millennials.  He's struggling right now, but he'll give in.    Poor guy 😞

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

9 hours ago, sealclubber said:

BUT WHY IN THE HEAVENS ABOVE did these guys decide on "float plane" as a name for their streaming service?

Before LTT launched floatplane there was Vessel. It was supposed to be an alternative to youtube. But Vessel went bust/taken over and closed down. 

Pretty sure floatplane was named as a meme to Vessel.

Well, it's a plane that floats.

Just kidding lol 😉 Ask Linus about the REAL answer.

11 hours ago, NPSTR107 said:

What does the words tube, and you, have to do with videos?

Kind of off topic, but this warrants an answer because Youtube is actually a very descriptive name. "Tube" is an old nickname for television coming from the Cathode-Ray Tubes that used to be in screens. "You" "tube" because it is a television starring you. Literally you, the person watching a video, can film and post your own video, putting yourself on the "tube."

Floatplanes are cool.

Calling it "LTT+" or whatever wouldn't make sense, as their vision for it is to be a premium video subscription service for many different creators. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Kind of off topic, but this warrants an answer because Youtube is actually a very descriptive name. "Tube" is an old nickname for television coming from the Cathode-Ray Tubes that used to be in screens. "You" "tube" because it is a television starring you. Literally you, the person watching a video, can film and post your own video, putting yourself on the "tube."

Kinda crazy that we've reached a point where we have to explain the meaning of YouTube.

I guess no one knows what Facebook and Instagram mean anymore either.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:30 AM, sealclubber said:

He already regrets for the naming LTT and LMG. He didn't want his name on Floatplane too and a small available name was very hard to find.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:14 AM, manikyath said:

i do have to mention this...

if the name of a video platform thought of by the people who gave you such titles as:

- Fast As Possible

- Verified Actual Gamers In North America

- tech "quickie"

- Mac Address

- 'linus' media group

- Yvonne umberella corporation

- probably a few more i've missed...

upsets you to the point that it causes a severe spike in blood pressure, i think the correct solution is therapy, because this is actually a mental condition with serious health implications.

mac address is actually a bomb name 🔥