Dear heavens above why ""float plane""??????

sealclubber

I know this sounds funny and absurd. But I so slightly share this feeling. I've gotten used to it pretty fast and it doesn't bother with me anymore.

I guess it might be because it sounds like too much marketing and brainwashing ish. 
but that might just be because I still have some residual PTSD caused by dealing with a shitty person in the past. I know I used to get irrationally angry when asked to repeat stuff, and that took about 5 years to get over since I stopped talking to that guy.

But floatplane has other creators on it, then just LTT? 

On 8/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, NPSTR107 said:

What does the words tube, and you, have to do with videos?

Tube = The TV, television.

You = Yourself, your content.

YouTube = Virtual video "channels" where people can show off their content.

So yes, the name does make some sense when you think about it.

On 8/14/2023 at 12:47 AM, NPSTR107 said:

From all I know it's supposed to be an open streaming service, it's not supposed to be specific to LTT which is why it is it's own separate company/entity.

LTT simply posts on Floatplane like any other social media service. It's not like other social media companies have better names that make sense either.

is that last sentence a serious question? TV used to be called the tube… because of CRTs. so it’s tv of and for yourself.

In terms of what it COULD'VE been I honestly think floatplane is nice.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

54 minutes ago, peacefulpolarbear said:

is that last sentence a serious question? TV used to be called the tube… because of CRTs. so it’s tv of and for yourself.

There is a whole generation (or two) now on the internet who don't remember CRT TV's, and if they do have awareness of them they don't know what the T stood for, and never heard anyone refer to the television as "the tube." 

It's basically the same situation as the symbology to save a file still looking like a floppy disc in a lot of places. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

13 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There is a whole generation (or two) now on the internet who don't remember CRT TV's, and if they do have awareness of them they don't know what the T stood for, and never heard anyone refer to the television as "the tube." 

It's basically the same situation as the symbology to save a file still looking like a floppy disc in a lot of places. 

Kids these days never had to fiddle with the vertical hold and it shows.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:30 AM, sealclubber said:

Listen I only made an LLT forums account for this, I'll never log in again and I'll never check it, BUT WHY IN THE HEAVENS ABOVE did these guys decide on "float plane" as a name for their streaming service?  Call it LTT+ call it LTT premium and I'll sign up in a day. But "FLOAT PLANE?!?!?!?!" I know most won't agree with me but that has got to be the worst name in the history of naming products. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I hear one of the crew motion "float plane" my watch spikes and says " you are having high stress/ blood pressure, why not take a break?". IT IS JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! I expect this topic to get no traction because "you're being stupid", binned "this subject is off topic" or ignored, but I need to vent this. I want to and wish I could subscribe to LTT's extra channel, but I just can't. float plane is JUST SUCH A BAD NAME! call me a 12 year old, call me dumb, call me stupid, but I have to get this off my chest, it's been sitting here far a few years now

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

On 8/14/2023 at 1:47 AM, NPSTR107 said:

From all I know it's supposed to be an open streaming service, it's not supposed to be specific to LTT which is why it is it's own separate company/entity.

LTT simply posts on Floatplane like any other social media service. It's not like other social media companies have better names that make sense either.

tube is slang for television and it's you as in the person watching videos on the platform so in other words "your television".

On 8/14/2023 at 8:46 PM, tkitch said:

Fun fact:

Unless they changed their profile on login (which for a single-shot use like this, they probably didn't) the default is to get an email when you receive a DM.  

Just sayin'.  😉

Not if the account is made with burner email and they've logged out of it.

Anyway on topic, it didn't bother me much. If anything i wondered if it's a flat earth joke? A plane floating in the sky, where I've heard that before 😂

On 8/14/2023 at 5:54 AM, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

But what if someone replaced the water with liquified helium to conduct LK-99 superconductor experiments?!!!!!

......NERRRRRRDD

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

On 8/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, NPSTR107 said:

Wow.

Really?

Wow ... 

I just ... 

I signed up to express my disbelief at this comment. 

That's how amazed I was reading this. 

Rioja Rioja. Reverend Al Green. Deep blue Morocco. The water on stone. The water on concrete. The water on sand. The water on fire, smoke, the wind the salt. The brght boat coming. Dave in the water. Old man Einstein on top of his house. White Deep blue. Andalusia red yellow. Red yellow black car. Red light on a black place walls. Blue chair Morocco. Hamburg Paris.The pieces of the puzzle are waiting.The water of the dark boats. Gliding the bright boats. Gone out to sea and Dave is floating. Dave is floating. And old man Einstein Crazy in his attic.

On 8/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, ddpp said:

Are you serious?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television#Etymology

I facepalmed so hard I had to make an account.

Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 2.53.36 AM.png

Yes, thank you for pointing that out that someone had already explained. I had not heard of the slang term, I've never called a TV a tube, probably as I only ever used more modern TV's.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

On 8/16/2023 at 11:07 PM, Enverex said:

So yes, the name does make some sense when you think about it.

Agreed.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:46 AM, peacefulpolarbear said:

is that last sentence a serious question?

Yes.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:35 PM, Mlord-White said:

tube is slang for television and it's you as in the person watching videos on the platform so in other words "your television".

I see!

On 8/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, LucySpectre said:

I signed up to express my disbelief at this comment. 

Alrighty then.

Thank you all for explaining your disbelief in the fact that I am not familiar with a slang term of old televisions that I was not familiar with nor heard anyone refer to them as a 'tube', so I have since altered my original comment. YouTube was a poor choice on my part, maybe I should have chosen 'X' instead. Although Elon does fancy his letters S, X, Y and the number 3 so I suppose it's not that surprising either.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson