I Want an iPhone

Plouffe

iOS 17 is almost here, and with it comes a ton of upgrades for iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPads everywhere. Some are brand new, some are Apple's version of Android solutions, but they're all solid and out soon. Is it time to switch teams?

Everything except this segue to our sponsor ease of service, and service center treatment that doesnt give Blizzard PTSD.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Who's got the MK8R? 👀 That aside, health app has been the most useful app first party app since I moved to iOS. I welcome the features they are adding there.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I moved to iOS last year, and don't regret it. Do I miss certain aspects, like the customization, and all the FOSS apps? Yes, but I'm having a better overall experience. What lead me to make the switch was ADP (Advanced Data Protection), which end-to-end encrypts a bunch of Apple services, including iCloud. Here's a rundown. Add in the quite honestly great Progressive Web App functionality, with it's isolation, it's been a good trade-off. Since Since moving over, I've gone all in. I've picked up some Airpods Pros (great transparency mode, kinda weak noise isolation), and an Apple Watch. I wish we got more privacy oriented features, but last year was already a decent year. Fingers crossed for more "on-device functionality" in the future. One day I might even be able to enable Siri... until then, this has been a good move, for me.

If there was a iPhone pro that included stylus support I'd consider it.  Gotta love the Samsung note.  Apple is just so against convergent devices. 

15 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

If there was a iPhone pro that included stylus support I'd consider it.  Gotta love the Samsung note.  Apple is just so against convergent devices. 

While the Apple Pencil might not support the iPhone, some 3rd party stylus will. It doesn't offer storage, but it should still work.

Just now, Dust7267 said:

While the Apple Pencil might not support the iPhone, some 3rd party stylus will. It doesn't offer storage, but it should still work.

Those crappy universal styluses are nowhere near the same thing as a digitizer pen. Even my Moto G Stylus, which does not have a digitizer, does have a nice narrow tip stylus that does not work on most other phones (including iPhone). 

51 minutes ago, Dust7267 said:

Compared to a active pressure sensitive real stylus...something that acts like a fat finger is just not the same. 

49 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

Those crappy universal styluses are nowhere near the same thing as a digitizer pen. Even my Moto G Stylus, which does not have a digitizer, does have a nice narrow tip stylus that does not work on most other phones (including iPhone). 

Precisely.  They are totally different animals. But then I've been using a tablet PC since the old convertibles that would twist and fold down the screen. 

31 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Guess my 1st gen SE needs to get upgraded 😕

Last of a kind, the best design.

1 minute ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

Last of a kind, the best design.

i preferred the 5C.  had to upgrade for more storage.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

i preferred the 5C.  had to upgrade for more storage.

The 5C was good too, though I do not own one. I have a collection that includes the 4, the 4S, the 5, the 5S and the SE aka my favourite phones, the 4, 4S and the 5 run iOS 6, by the way and iOS 6 is my favourite iOS version.

@4:55 "End-toEnd" Encrypted... Riiiiight. Like Apple doesn't already have the keys for this. BigTech=NoTrust for me.

i5 2500k @5Ghz(1.48v) | MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z | GTX 970 @1337Mhz | Asus Xonar U7 | Crossover 27Q | ATH-AD700X w/ModMic 4.0 | Silverstone FT03

3 hours ago, Plouffe said:

iOS 17 is almost here, and with it comes a ton of upgrades for iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPads everywhere. Some are brand new, some are Apple's version of Android solutions, but they're all solid and out soon. Is it time to switch teams?

I'd swap back to my iPhone if there was a first party way to use SMS from the web (messages.google.com).

Until then, I refuse to finger **** my phone while sitting at my perfectly good full keyboard right in front of me.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I've felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of fan boys cried out in butthurt.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

3 hours ago, Dust7267 said:

Fingers crossed for more "on-device functionality" in the future. One day I might even be able to enable Siri... until then, this has been a good move, for me.

As a dev on the platform apple have been making a few important under the hood changes that will make it easier for us to deliver compelling features on device without using web services.  But likly only indie devs will adopt this as VC and larger companies tend to see the value in having that data and forget the value in not having it. 

2 hours ago, -BattleSheep- said:

"End-toEnd" Encrypted... Riiiiight. Like Apple doesn't already have the keys for this. BigTech=NoTrust for me.

Apple does not have the keys, they publish white papers on this and get Govs very upset when they explain they don't have the keys in addition third party sec items audit this and have not found any suggestion apple lies about that.

If they lied it would cost them billions in lawsuits remember.  

So do people really primarily communicate with people through texts? Most of these updates are weird to me since I'm just thinking... Why be excited about this? Do you not just use discord or another multi-platform messenger to talk to people? Texting is just a thing I do when meeting up with someone from craigslist.

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

As a dev on the platform apple have been making a few important under the hood changes that will make it easier for us to deliver compelling features on device without using web services.  But likly only indie devs will adopt this as VC and larger companies tend to see the value in having that data and forget the value in not having it. 

Good to hear that's still being work on, under the hood. Even if we only see Apple, and smaller projects use on device functionality, it's still better than what we get on Android. What cannot be done on device, can just be moved onto the browser/PWA.

46 minutes ago, poochyena said:

So do people really primarily communicate with people through texts? Most of these updates are weird to me since I'm just thinking... Why be excited about this? Do you not just use discord or another multi-platform messenger to talk to people? Texting is just a thing I do when meeting up with someone from craigslist.

I'm not in the US, but Europe. Most people I know JUST use SMS. They don't change the default messaging app on their device, or even go through the Settings menu of that app. Where I am SMS is "Unlimited" on even the budget SIM plans, there's no real need to change. In this way, Android is kind of holding more private/secure messaging back. One thing I used to do to convince folks to swap to a better platform was recommend Signal, back when they still had SMS. The moment that functionality was dropped, Signal was never opened again, by the majority of those people. The ONLY thing that is "kind of" popular is Facebook Messenger... I saw one business try to use WhatsApp to book reservations... but that's pretty much it.

Would be cool if I could change the portrait I send with a call that varies, depending on my emotional state. 😝

IMG_7053.jpeg

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

iMessage isn't texting really but yes that's the default app that everyone I know has because everyone I know is on iPhone.  So "it just works".

Android is just so garbage that you're used to having to have a 3rd party app for everything.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Me: owns both a android and a iphone, cool.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Android is just so garbage that you're used to having to have a 3rd party app for everything.

I am in school some people dont like seeing green bubbles in there text threads so they mostly share instagrams...

Yeah I have one due to being a photographer but I am fine with 3rd party apps, TBF mine pretty stripped down.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Everyone has an opinion, doesn't necessarily mean it is true or correct.

I happen to use Android, don't see what you're on about. It's not my first choice but I will say that when i was forced to choose apple or android, I am glad I chose android over apple, still wish I could go back to what I had as it was so much better than either of them.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

24 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I happen to use Android, don't see what you're on about.

That's the problem, you don't know what you're missing until you actually switch.   Like the airdrop thing seems no-brainer but then the android story is: "yeah we had something like that in 2012 that never worked properly, discontinued it, then made some new version in 2020 that probably no one you know has a modern enough android phone to support it anyways."  So then you end up having to make a Google Photo album that glitches out halfway through uploading more than 20 photos (true story...) and now Google has their finger up your arse mining your photos because their entire business model is selling ads and user data.

Rinse repeat for everything.  Airtags by themselves are enough to use iOS over Android with how godlike they are.  Android "oh we have 3rd party tiles that basically can only find something if it's in the same room as you".  Gee thanks....meanwhile I'll throw an airtag into a package I'm shipping to myself across the country and be able to follow its realtime position because someone is always nearby with an iphone.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)