I Want an iPhone

Plouffe
4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That's the problem, you don't know what you're missing until you actually switch. 

Actually, I do, and I will happily pass on it. I dont care for the apple experience, its terrible imo.

Dont have a use for airdrops.

I dont use the google photo album.

Dont have a use for airtags.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

meanwhile I'll throw an airtag into a package I'm shipping to myself across the country and be able to follow its realtime position

I've got better things to do than to track my packages in real time. 😄

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

18 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

I've got better things to do than to track my packages in real time. 😄

Or you could have some creativity and imagine...hmm....travelling with luggage and never losing it again.

Or putting it on a dog collar.

Or putting it in a trailer so when it gets stolen you know where to go get it with the cops.

Airtags are so cheap and perfect functionality that it's like "why not throw one onto this?"  Hell I put one on my skis so if they get buried in the snow I can go find them with the directional location.

Oh to bring it back on topic...with the dog collar thing now that iOS 17 will support airtag sharing I'll be able to monitor where my friend's dog is when I happen to be walking them alone.  That's always been a back-of-mind fear where they run off and then I'm having to frantically contact my friend and ask them to track it.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Or you could have some creativity and imagine

Or you could have used a better example. 

I am not gonna waste time debating your other use cases, they are all flawed.

Anyhow, have fun tracking those packages in real-time, heck thanks to iOS 17 you can share that fun with other like-minded people. 😄

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

But will Linus be willing to give up Android's ability to sideload apps as he explained recently in WAN show?

Edit: youtube link 

10 hours ago, Plouffe said:

iOS 17 is almost here, and with it comes a ton of upgrades for iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPads everywhere. Some are brand new, some are Apple's version of Android solutions, but they're all solid and out soon. Is it time to switch teams?

I actually swore off iPhones forever, until the galaxy s7/s8 battery fiasco. I got my first iphone (the 11) right around that time, and it was literally a lifesaver. Upgraded to the 14 pro max and I absolutely love it! Super fast, reliable, and the battery is awesome!

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Android is just so garbage

lol at anything you're not using is garbage. 

I don't use iphone because of their poor ability to customize home screen, lack of proper widgets, notifications customization, lack of a back button (very personal i know), lack of different ways to unlock my phone etc. The new iOS certainly brings in a lot of features but still not to convince me to switch. Though I now have airpods pro, airtags, ipad air and m1 MB, those are certainly well made products. 

The best part about this video was, when Linus told Luke on WAN show about the iPhone's new call screening feature and Luke just went "I already screen my calls on Android". It seems to me that Linus really isn't quite up to date in regards to all the phone stuff that has happened in the last 2-3 years. 

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Android is just so garbage that you're used to having to have a 3rd party app for everything.

I use a 3rd party app because its multi-platform. Using an app exclusive to phones to talk to people is bizarre to me.

17 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Like the airdrop thing seems no-brainer but then the android story is:

the android story is I just send the file through discord. I never understood the purpose of airdrop. What exactly is the advantage of using these iphone exclusive features over discord?

I got a used 2nd gen SE as my first iPhone recently, I needed a cheap burner phone that was still being supported and oddly this made the most sense to me. The experience was much better then I expected. The inability to place icons where you want on your desktop or load side apps makes it unusable as a primary device for me but I finally understand why people would like it. Now I just need to get work to allow rooted phones in there BYOD program so I can stop carrying 2 of them around 😛 

On 7/6/2023 at 2:09 PM, ToboRobot said:

Guess my 1st gen SE needs to get upgraded 😕

Never! I like my 1st gen SE.

After watching this video, it's more and more tempting for me to get an iPhone. Only if the models from four years ago didn't cost an exhorbitant amount of money compared to like last gen's Pixel phone.

Oh and ios 17 doesn't support my parents' iphone X model.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:38 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

Android is just so garbage that you're used to having to have a 3rd party app for everything.

Different people have different priorities and preferences. You should use the software and hardware that best fits your own.

One of your priorities may be that the operating system on your device has most functions you need built-in so you don't need much third party software. For this reason, you may prefer to use iOS. However, this won't necessarily be a priority for everyone - some of us are happy to use third-party apps - so that doesn't make Android fundamentally inferior to iOS.

One of my priorities is that I can run my own software on the hardware that I own at no or minimal cost. I don't believe the iOS platform can offer me that, so I don't use it. Again, that doesn't make iOS inferior to Android, it just means I personally like it less.

People who like iOS should buy iPhones; people who like Android should buy Android phones. I don't see how tribalism, and comments like "[platform] is garbage", are in any way helpful.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:17 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

Like the airdrop thing seems no-brainer but then the android story is: "yeah we had something like that in 2012 that never worked properly, discontinued it, then made some new version in 2020 that probably no one you know has a modern enough android phone to support it anyways."  So then you end up having to make a Google Photo album that glitches out halfway through uploading more than 20 photos (true story...) and now Google has their finger up your arse mining your photos because their entire business model is selling ads and user data.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Nearby Share appears prominently in the sharing menu and in the settings, and has done since 2015! Google Photos isn't really equivalent to AirDrop, it's equivalent to iCloud sync, though iCloud does seem to work much better.

For the record, if I want to transfer photos from my phone to my computer I use an extremely complex and bleeding-edge technology called A USB CableTM and it works flawlessly. Or if I want to share a photo with someone else I just send a WhatsApp message.

I don't even know what manufacturer of phone some of my friends have, and why should I? It's completely irrelevant information - again, they should choose their phone based on what they prefer.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

All I get out of this video is, damn I barely use my phone for anything (but I do use the device often)

I guess ignorance is bliss here, means I don't have to spend a lot of money for a device to suit me.

Jam on through to the other side

On 7/7/2023 at 1:26 AM, Dust7267 said:

I moved to iOS last year, and don't regret it. Do I miss certain aspects, like the customization, and all the FOSS apps? Yes, but I'm having a better overall experience. What lead me to make the switch was ADP (Advanced Data Protection), which end-to-end encrypts a bunch of Apple services, including iCloud. Here's a rundown. Add in the quite honestly great Progressive Web App functionality, with it's isolation, it's been a good trade-off. Since Since moving over, I've gone all in. I've picked up some Airpods Pros (great transparency mode, kinda weak noise isolation), and an Apple Watch. I wish we got more privacy oriented features, but last year was already a decent year. Fingers crossed for more "on-device functionality" in the future. One day I might even be able to enable Siri... until then, this has been a good move, for me.

ive had every samsung flagship from the S3 through to the S20, excluding the 8. I also had an A series (A51?) and an Asus ROG 5.

It was the Asus that made me switch to iOS.

I dont understand why things in the android ecosystem just, suck. or just, dont work properly.

The only advantage to android, that I see, is that if something goes wrong, theres some hacky workaround. The problem is, thats the case for so many tasks that just WORK on iOS.

The disadvantage to iOS that is there IS no workaround. Do it apples way or nothing.

I had an iPhone 13 to see if i could get back into the ecosystem, bought some airtags (amazing btw), figured I could do this, got myself a 14 Pro Max, and was amazed at just how well everything worked. It. Just. Works.

I dont see myself going back to Android any time. Apple just does "make shit work" better and theres honestly nothing Android can do to compete with that.