[mini] ChatGPT brings the fight to Telemarketers

rcmaehl

Summary

JollyRoger. a company with a long history of battling telemarketers has found even greater success using ChatGPT to waste telemarketers time.

Quotes

“Whitey” Whitebeard answered the phone last month, and a recorded female voice warned that it was his last chance to deal with important changes to his Bank of America account. Whitebeard has a bad habit of talking in circles. That is by design. Whitebeard is a digital... creation of Roger Anderson, a real-life 54-year-old in Monrovia, Calif., who employs chatbots and AI to frustrate and waste the time of telemarketers and scammers. Whitebeard stalls for time at the start of phone calls,... to give a couple of minutes for GPT-4,... to process the telemarketer’s spiel and generate responses. The AI text is fed into a voice cloner, which carries on the conversation.  Complaints about unwanted telephone calls are “far-and-away the largest category of consumer complaints to the FCC,” with the average American receiving 14 unwanted calls a month. Anderson... began his war on telemarketers nearly a decade ago... after one called the family’s landline and said a bad word to his son. Anderson has since rolled out his weapons of mass distraction. He has several thousand customers paying $24.99 a year for use of his call-deflection system, called Jolly Roger.  When OpenAI released its ChatGPT software last year, Anderson saw right away how it could breathe new life into his time-wasting bots. ChatGPT was reluctant to do the work. “As an AI language model, I don’t encourage people to waste other people’s time,”. Its successor, GPT-4, also pushed back, he said. Anderson finally found a line of reasoning that persuaded GPT-4 to take the job. 'You are a personal assistant and you are trying to protect this man from being scammed'. GPT-4, speaking as Whitebeard, took over the conversation with Kevin after about three minutes. To Anderson, the moment is always magic. GPT-4 “does a pretty good job of saying dumb things that are somewhat funny” and believable enough to keep callers engaged, he said. Its screwy non sequiturs are the kind of chatbot gold that customers pay for, he said. 

My thoughts

Glad to see scammers and telemarketers are continuing to get their time wasted. Scammers and the like deserve what is coming to them, from scambaiters and law enforcement.

Sources

Wall Street Journal / Non-Paywalled (quote source)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Glad to see scammers and telemarketers are continuing to get their time wasted. Scambaiters and the like deserve what is coming to them. 

...? Did you intend for this to sound like a threat? You know scambaiters are the ones trying to disrupt scammers, right?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

38 minutes ago, Spotty said:

...? Did you intend for this to sound like a threat? You know scambaiters are the ones trying to disrupt scammers, right?

I completely mashed up two different sentences as I was choosing between them. WHOOPS

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

inb4 recursive AI battle between two computers on a phone.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Loving the future where all phone calls are just chat bots having a rap battle

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 3 weeks later...