New Asus GPU 600W Motherboard power connector

The special power connector for GPUs really isn't new. Apple already had it in their Mac Pros. 

applevegaiiproduo-100798204-orig.thumb.jpg.923896ab5659532e30dea498186c7a96.jpg

apple_mac-pro-display-pro_mac-pro-internal_060319_-100798190-orig.thumb.jpg.5ba1f3392c22aa42c338a5b18194c9d9.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

The special power connector for GPUs really isn't new. Apple already had it in their Mac Pros.

its likely not, but in the consumer space (maybe not new) as not seen that much of? also if its get pushed like the video said they did, that there might be more of it.

20 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

what did they patent?  is the mouse actually good? it looks kinda decent and im super annoyed by the cable of my logitech g203, plus its too big and the side buttons way too small >.<

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

applevegaiiproduo-100798204-orig.thumb.jpg.923896ab5659532e30dea498186c7a96.jpg

apple_mac-pro-display-pro_mac-pro-internal_060319_-100798190-orig.thumb.jpg.5ba1f3392c22aa42c338a5b18194c9d9.jpg

yeah, the way it is now is super stupid anyways, bigger gpus would need way more support and a bigger pci connector on the mobo side would fix that, plus no more ugly cables dangling around...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

26 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, the way it is now is super stupid anyways, bigger gpus would need way more support and a bigger pci connector on the mobo side would fix that, plus no more ugly cables dangling around...

I'm actually quite in favor of Asus's idea here. I do see compatibility problems with other motherboards interfering with the slot power but if the card comes with both slot and PCIe plug connectors feasibly it can be used with cables or the slot power.

Maybe the PCIe spec just needs to be updated and x16 slots optionally rated for 1000W and GPUs/ASIC transition to slot only power.

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

what did they patent?  is the mouse actually good? it looks kinda decent and im super annoyed by the cable of my logitech g203, plus its too big and the side buttons way too small >.<

1. The hotswap sockets made specifically for mouse switches. So now for anyone in the mouse market to offer hotswaps, its back to basic with the classic Millmax plugs, something like this from PiranhaMouseMods for G305. Which is sad honestly because that hotswap sockets are really good at holding things without making you feel like youre grinding shit.
  2. Its one of the best Asus peripherals, but its superseded by Harpe AimLab Edition in tech in my opinion, its basically 3395-equivalent with stupid amount of time spent on opening the sensor specs for user adjustment. But of course Keris is an assymmetric relaxed claw mouse while the Harpe is the classic symmetric claw mouse that have been dominating the market in shape, so ergonomics are also different.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm actually quite in favor of Asus's idea here. I do see compatibility problems with other motherboards interfering with the slot power but if the card comes with both slot and PCIe plug connectors feasibly it can be used with cables or the slot power.

Maybe the PCIe spec just needs to be updated and x16 slots optionally rated for 1000W and GPUs/ASIC transition to slot only power.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't see the problem with just having power cables from the power supply. People are too concerned with how the inside of their computer looks.

Adopting this as a new standard would be bad for consumers because it will increase the cost of motherboards...

15 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Because making traces thick enough for that sort of PD on a ~dozen or so layer board aint cheap.....

I just see this as a gimmick and novelty. Something to get the company some attention at a trade show like CEX. It's an impractical solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't see the problem with just having power cables from the power supply. People are too concerned with how the inside of their computer looks.

Adopting this as a new standard would be bad for consumers because it will increase the cost of motherboards...

For me it's not aesthetics, I just like the idea. Just slotting the card in and done, nice. Very similar to how internal board modules in UPS's are done.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

For me it's not aesthetics, I just like the idea. Just slotting the card in and done, nice. Very similar to how internal board modules in UPS's are done.

You would still have to plug cables in to the back of the motherboard which is arguably more work than just plugging in to the graphics card when you install it. The only benefit would be if you frequently replace the graphics card though most people only replace a graphics card in a system once every few years, if at all.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I just see this as a gimmick and novelty. Something to get the company some attention at a trade show like CEX. It's an impractical solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I get both viewpoints. As it currently stands, the value add for the pain doesn't seem worth it outside of a specific niche: a display build likely going all Asus components.

If we start to think about standardising this and break backward compatibility, what other pain points can we fix at the same time? What would it take for the industry to move beyond ATX and close relatives?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The only benefit would be if you frequently replace the graphics card though most people only replace a graphics card in a system once every few years, if at all.

I do 😅

Not replace though, swap cards in and out.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

yeah, but its also like i said the current pcie slot is too small to properly support gpus, physically, and electronically, so having just to plug in the card and be done with would be super convenient, and of course look much cleaner too.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I do 😅

Not replace though, swap cards in and out.

For some reason i do this a lot too, or just to get to some parts, ssd plugs, m2 slot, or cleaning the pc i have to remove the gpu (and sometimes the cpu cooler too) the cables aren't even a big issue, the tiny, flimsy latch on the pcie slot is way more annoying,  they could update that to a more solid solution too! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, but its also like i said the current pcie slot is too small to properly support gpus, physically, and electronically, so having just to plug in the card and be done with would be super convenient, and of course look much cleaner too.

With regards to GPU sag, if a GPU is sagging in the slot then it could create a poor contact on the power pins in the slot, much like how the 12VHPWR cable was an issue when bent at an angle or not fully inserted. This hasn't been a problem in the past with the PCIe slot delivering a couple of amps but if you have the slot doing upwards of 50A then having poor contact between the fingers and the slot could theoretically become a problem.

Side view of the slot with red being the fingers on the card. If the card is sagging and pulling down it could cause the fingers to make poor contact with the slot.

image.png

If sag is a problem on a card I don't think that little power slot is going to help too much. You'd still want an anti-sag bracket.

3 hours ago, porina said:

If we start to think about standardising this and break backward compatibility, what other pain points can we fix at the same time? What would it take for the industry to move beyond ATX and close relatives?

We've already gone through multiple add in card slot revisions that broke compatibility. ISA. PCI. AGP. While there would definitely be some issues during transition it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did move beyond PCIe to a completely new standard.

Maybe if the desktop PC market ever ditches x86 CPUs and moves to ARM based SoCs like what Apple is doing we'll ditch the concept of socketable CPUs and add in cards and memory slots altogether. Everything will be on the SoC and the whole logic board gets replaced when upgrading. Unless there's a drastic shift in the market I don't see that happening for desktops any time soon, but for laptops it's probably not that far off.

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

We've already gone through multiple add in card slot revisions that broke compatibility. ISA. PCI. AGP. While there would definitely be some issues during transition it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did move beyond PCIe to a completely new standard.

IMO there's only been two major transitions so far:

ISA era, including EISA, and VLB for higher end graphics cards

PCI era, including PCI-X, and AGP for higher end graphics cards

PCIe era, which scales enough not to need a dedicated slot for higher end graphics cards

The difference here is I don't see PCIe hitting a limit for data to require its replacement. An extension just for power would be nice since the base 75W isn't a lot. It is a power limit, not so much a data limit.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

With regards to GPU sag, if a GPU is sagging in the slot then it could create a poor contact on the power pins in the slot, much like how the 12VHPWR cable was an issue when bent at an angle or not fully inserted. This hasn't been a problem in the past with the PCIe slot delivering a couple of amps but if you have the slot doing upwards of 50A then having poor contact between the fingers and the slot could theoretically become a problem.

yeah, sure thats something to consider but i still think it should overall provide more stability as currently half of the gpu is literally hanging in thin air, plus all other possible advantages,  easier installation, no cables dangling around- i think when connected to the motherboard the cables could be hidden easily and would probably also be shorter etc. Idk, i just like the idea, the issue with this Asus solution is that its proprietary, thats just not good for establishing new standards (i think?)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

*insert "the search continue" meme here*

Cases - 2478 results

Cases without see-through panels - 3 results

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

If sag is a problem on a card I don't think that little power slot is going to help too much. You'd still want an anti-sag bracket.

A new design could include structural support for PCIe cards to counter this problem.

The main problem is backward compatibility and most current motherboards would be incompatible with a new connector. The space in-line with the PCIe slot is currently used for heatsinks and other components. A future GPU design would need a removable adapter (a power riser) for quite some time, which adds to complexity and reduces rigidity. 

31 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

The main problem is backward compatibility and most current motherboards would be incompatible with a new connector.

And this won't work on ITX boards which just don't have any room beyond the end of the slot to add anything. Seems a bit backwards to limit the market of a product if it lacks universal compatibility.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

This honestly sound horrible, between the potential even worse time people are gonna have trying to get it out of a motherboard, I swear sometimes it feels impossible on current cards already, and the more complex and expensive mb's which i feel still would need an extra connector or 2-4 on there to supply those pins.
And i feel that those transient spikes will effect nearby traces so extra shielding be needed to prevent an unstable rig

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

Oh good, another dead on announce power connection standard making more walled gardens and limiting customer choice.

Any word on 12v only motherboards? Didn't see any recently. AMD with Nvidia's firestarter connection? Nope, reversed motherboard connectors are interesting but have yet to go mainstream despite being multiple generations old ideas.

This looks like another way to limit people from building so I'm against it. Don't screw with what works if it means walling off your products from the rest of the industry standards.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Oh hey doesn't Apple also do this on their Radeons?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

this comic comes to mind whenever a company wants to help fix standard by creating a new standard for people to use.

xkcd: Standards

i find this funny how 12VHPWR is labeled as nvidia's connector cause actually nvidia's was just 12pin without 4 extra pins (did those have issues on 3k series? wheres the reports on this?) and is compatible with pci sigs 12VHPWR connector, which amd is a partner of pci sig arent they

come on people lol

and if we are moving the connector to the motherboard arent we going to have same issue unless we revert back to 6 pin 8 pin but they had issues too

i'd love pci e 5.0 pro slot i remember agp pro slot had abit mobo with it

fyi i been around when its was 20 pin for mobo then became 24 then we added 4 pin for cpu

4 pin molex was way more dangerous actually some old agp cards required 4 pin molex that i owned

also remember 4 pin cpu problems too

and not to mention fan connectors melting too

I quite like this idea. My first thought was 'So where's the plugs for the mobo to power this?' and when i saw all those sockets on the back I just started having nightmares with trying to figure out case compatibility.

I feel like even if all the existing connectors were still on the front/side pointing and these were in place alongside them, I'd still like not having those fugly cables sticking out the front of the card.

Mobos for sure need more work on their connectivity. so many connectors without 90 degree options for example still, for example.

It's still a battle to hide and route everything that is connected in a build, even with dual chamber setups!