You don’t need a new PC

Shahrad

Thanks to Acer and Intel for sponsoring today's video. Acer's Earthion is a mission platform towards a greener future. You can join this mission by advocating for sustainability or simply by living a greener life! Check out the new Acer Aspire Vero at the link below:

https://lmg.gg/v7kI9

Old PC hardware always feels like it gets slower, but it doesn’t – It’s the SOFTWARE! Let’s refurbish some obsolete e-waste and make it into an inexpensive gaming machine!

?? Why would you pay $18 to upgrade the ram? Would that even give any real performance gain? That seemed like such a weird thing to do considering the topic of the video being that old hardware is perfectly fine and cheap.

29 minutes ago, poochyena said:

?? Why would you pay $18 to upgrade the ram? Would that even give any real performance gain? That seemed like such a weird thing to do considering the topic of the video being that old hardware is perfectly fine and cheap.

Maybe so they're running at the same clock speeds, and you have an extra few GBs (I think they also said something about running in dual channel)? Dunno, I'm more confused on how they recommended buying used second hand SSDs, I thought LTT heavily discouraged buying used storage devices given how cheap it is to just buy new.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

I feel bad now running a I7 6700K with a 2080 super 32GB of Ram ssd os sata 6
but I don't really notice it being sluggish, or have I just gotten used to it lol

2 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

Ah yes, just remove spectre and meltdown fixes, definitely bloat.

If you remove all security from Windows it will run blazing fast until it gets compromised and infected.

I was stupid enough to do that once!
Thing got infected in 2 days by a RAT, how i figured that out? Because my computer suddenly decided to open the firefox password vault, which was luckily empty.

Literally pulled the plug and nuked it, I'm thankful they didn't go for my lastpass vault. Never again will I run without an antivirus. It's not worth the performance bump.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

no idea if i can run windows 11
asus z170 Mark 1
sabertooth
wow google says i can enable it
gonna give it a try
nope no option to enable not there

My office PC still runs an i5-650 and it's fine. 4GB -> 8GB RAM and SSD installed with the Windows 10 upgrade 5 years ago saved it.

Discord is actually the most problematic thing, it often seems to have bugs despite the OS and chrome being up to date. 

Youtube runs 720p fine, twitch can stream 480p, Matlab works fine too for normal light stuff.

Solidworks is no longer an option though. Plenty of money for a replacement, just can't be bothered. 

Say-tuh Day-tuh for me. Although sometimes I say Sah-tuh Dah-tuh

Omg, it's a signature!

31 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

how i figured that out? Because my computer suddenly decided to open the firefox password vault, which was luckily empty.

That's because Firefox just let's anyone with access to your PC to see the passwords in it's password manager...

Same goes for Chrome.

But Safari protects your passwords - with a password:

image.thumb.png.d955e821c10f026b31cf2cd24afce98c.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

37 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

meanwhile me still running a 4670K. on windows 11 too, doesn't even run that bad...

I will be using the same CPU at the LTX LAN paired with an rx470 running Linux 😄. It was my own scrapyard PC that I did in 2019, went ITX and still kept it under $200.

well it says i can buy a TPM module for my motherboard it does have the header for it
$30
but is it worth it?

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Yeah especially on those intel chips they dont care about speed at all, I run a dell optiplex (i5 6500) with 8gb 2133 4gb 2133 and a 8gb 2400.

Fun fact 6th gen intel support nvme

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

16 minutes ago, CWALD said:

I will be using the same CPU at the LTX LAN paired with an rx470 running Linux 😄. It was my own scrapyard PC that I did in 2019, went ITX and still kept it under $200.

4670K is awesome. mine is paired with a GTX 1060. i can't run Linux on this computer (i have a dedicated Linux computer, an old Mac Pro 2008 8-core lmao) because my favourite game (Overwatch) doesn't like Linux much. to compensate for the windows bloat i overclocked the cpu to 4.3ghz all core, still runs like a beast even on Windows. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, WhistlerBlade said:

I feel bad now running a I7 6700K with a 2080 super 32GB of Ram ssd os sata 6
but I don't really notice it being sluggish, or have I just gotten used to it lol

that's a perfectly fine computer still. don't believe everything LTT says. as long as it does what you need it to do it's fine.

She/Her

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

it would to get dual channel, or if you're using integrated graphics. but yeah considering the point of the video 12GB ram is plenty, even for regular bloated windows 10... 

She/Her

Of course you don't need a new PC, if it's a) recent enough, and b) upgradable.

A Kaby Lake i5 is not even old, despite being listed as "Discontiuned" on Intel ARK. True while it won't received any more driver update for its iGPU, but the CPU itself still sports all the modern features (AVX2, PCIe 3.0, NVMe, Optane, etc.) and four capable cores at a reasonable clock speed.

And thank goodness that Acer uses standard form factors for their system. Had it been a custom Dell or those 12VO board, a power supply upgrade would be impossible.

(I will skip the RAM, storage and GPU part since they are generally swappable and readily available, unless soldered. Also skipping OS as it's software and up to user preference, but modded Windows or Linux should be fine)

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, WhistlerBlade said:

no idea if i can run windows 11
asus z170 Mark 1
sabertooth
wow google says i can enable it
gonna give it a try
nope no option to enable not there

Just because you have TPM doesn't mean you will be able to install Win11.  You have to check your processor against the Win11 compatibility list.  I don't know what the cutoff is for AMD, but it won't install on intel unless you have an 8th gen or newer.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

People don't use linux to extend the shelf life of an old PC.  That hasn't been a reason to use Linux for at least 15 years.  The reason people switch to Linux is usually frustration with the radical changes done to Windows, concerns with security and privacy.   Then there are the people who change to Linux without thinking about it.  

People who use their phone as their sole personal computing device and using Linux or in the case of iOS UNIX. 

People who switch to a Chromebook or mac are using Linux or OSX/ UNIX.

The rest don't really know or care what OS their computer has.  

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

People don't use linux to extend the shelf life of an old PC.  That hasn't been a reason to use Linux for at least 15 years. 

I do, regularly.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

i have two issues with this video...

- 7th gen isnt "obsolete" to the point bog standard windows doesnt run well anymore.

- these "magical windows be fast now" windows images... tend to be kneecapped to hell and back, the majority of it completely unnecessary, or actually problematic.

it's also very important to note that any image that bricks windows update also bricks loading device drivers for odd stuff that isnt included in the driverstore but is available as a WHQL driver from windows update. (more common than you'd think..) this ofcourse assumes they didnt also nuke the driverstore, like tiny11 did...

The laptop I'm typing this on is a ThinkPad P52 with the following specs:

• 2.6ghz i7 8850H
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1TB WD SN750 Black m.2 SSD
  • 1TB WD SN750 Black m.2 SSD (although I may take this out and put it in my PS5 for extra storage).
  • 2TB HDD
  • Windows 11 Pro (not modified in any way).

My previous computer was a ThinkPad P50 with a 6th gen 6700HQ and the same specs as above. I ended up giving this computer to my wife and she uses it for things like typing.

This computer is more then sufficient for my needs, and I like that it actually has some upgradability to it.

Anthony pulls out a framework laptop right after linus mentiones e-waste at 18:51.