You don’t need a new PC

Shahrad

Honestly I think these "debloated Windows installs" are always more trouble than their worth in the long run. Inevitably something will go tits up, or you'll get infected, or - dare I say - you'll need something from the Microsoft Store, and the whole thing will backfire on you. Just not a worthwhile tradeoff for marginally better performance and a few less nag screens.

(Also Microsoft is pretty transparent with what Windows telemetry collects and on "Basic" it's more reasonable than you think, even if there is a lot of data being sent. Just putting it out there)

It seems like the only good use case for this OS is if you want to want to run an old system in highly limited way, and primarily offline.  Without antivirus and updates, you can't give your old system to a friend or family member for general use.  Maybe there's some third party antivirus that's way less resources intensive than defender.  But that'd be news to me.

Would this make an old Windows desktop PC into a better (more efficient) Windows based NAS/media server?

1 hour ago, kaisei said:

Would this make an old Windows desktop PC into a better (more efficient) Windows based NAS/media server?

I don't know, it depends on what has been removed I guess, but why run this when basically any linux distro would be lighter and more adequate ?

This was overall a pretty disappointing video. Really, using a 7th gen system as the "obsolete" PC? That computer is perfectly capable of running a full copy of Windows 10, no debloating necessary. If the machine came with a mechanical hard drive then an SSD would be a no brainer, but I see zero reason to bother with a modified copy of Windows that could potentially introduce a lot more headaches. 

My office computer that I use daily still has an old Core i7-2600, and with a cheap SSD it has zero issues running a full copy of Windows 10 Pro. If this hardware can handle lots of heavy tasks without a hitch then a Kaby Lake machine should do even better. Heck, an old Core 2 Duo will do fine with a regular copy of Windows 10. I just find it silly that Linus thinks a 7th gen machine is super outdated. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Seriously, Linus??? You have nothing at all to say??? Both you and Alex are deplorable 👎👎

Keyboard.jpg

I use this - https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

It's a post install script for Windows 10 that helps make it usable. For ezxample it disables cortana as a search index so when you use search you don't get web results and other garbage and it works well. It removes some preinstalled application, stops some telemetry, cleans startup menu and other stuff. With it, everything works as it should, Windows Update, Defender etc. And since it's just a powershell script you can easily look at what it's actually doing.

13 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

This was overall a pretty disappointing video. Really, using a 7th gen system as the "obsolete" PC? That computer is perfectly capable of running a full copy of Windows 10, no debloating necessary. If the machine came with a mechanical hard drive then an SSD would be a no brainer, but I see zero reason to bother with a modified copy of Windows that could potentially introduce a lot more headaches. 

My office computer that I use daily still has an old Core i7-2600, and with a cheap SSD it has zero issues running a full copy of Windows 10 Pro. If this hardware can handle lots of heavy tasks without a hitch then a Kaby Lake machine should do even better. Heck, an old Core 2 Duo will do fine with a regular copy of Windows 10. I just find it silly that Linus thinks a 7th gen machine is super outdated. 

I could be mistaken, but I think the basis behind calling a 7th gen intel 'obsolete' is that Win10 is the last Windows version 7th gen and earlier will be able to run without hacks.  Once Windows 10 stops getting updates, that's it.  MS does not allow you to install Win11 on 7th gen processors, so while it technically has plenty of life still in it (I've got a computer running a 4th gen intel for the kids, and a laptop with a 7th gen in it for work), Microsoft will be EoL'ing it in a year and a half when they cut off Win10 updates.  

The good news is that Linux runs like an absolute champ on these older processors, and will be fully supported long after MS gives them up to the scrap heap.  Come October 15, 2025, Linux will be the only secure upgrade path for millions of perfectly good, older PCs.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

31 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Even my 6th gen system is awesome, I used to use a hard drive in mine it was still very decent with one, yes its better with a SSD, but still usable with a HDD.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

I could be mistaken, but I think the basis behind calling a 7th gen intel 'obsolete' is that Win10 is the last Windows version 7th gen and earlier will be able to run without hacks. 

Sure, but also no. Unless Microsoft majorly changes something you can install Windows 11 onto older hardware. It's not really hacking. 

9 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

MS does not allow you to install Win11 on 7th gen processors, so while it technically has plenty of life still in it (I've got a computer running a 4th gen intel for the kids, and a laptop with a 7th gen in it for work), Microsoft will be EoL'ing it in a year and a half when they cut off Win10 updates. 

I really don't care what Microsoft does and doesn't allow me to do with my own hardware, and the same goes for Apple. I still regularly use a 2012 MacBook Pro, and Apple hasn't released a new OS for it since 2019. But that hasn't stopped me (and a ton of other people) from running the latest version of macOS Ventura on hardware that old, and guess what? It works perfectly! I don't like Windows 11 right now, but in the future I'll run it on my older hardware unless something changes that prevents that from happening. At that point I'll be giving the penguin some more attention. 

Also, isn't the EOL date for Windows 10 2.5 years away? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

7 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Also, isn't the EOL date for Windows 10 2.5 years away? 

Yeah, my math was off.  Oct 14, 2025 is EoL for Win10.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

3 hours ago, Error 52 said:

you'll need something from the Microsoft Store, and the whole thing will backfire on you

Testing Atlas right now. The Microsoft Store still works

3 hours ago, kaisei said:

you'd be much better off with truenas core/scale (free) and plex or something similar, than running windows.  

They covered it in the "your old pc is your new server" video

Just noticed that Atlas adds its own power plan, which sets the minimum processor state to 100% when plugged in.

This is a terrible idea for any multi-core CPU, as lower performance cores are not able to lower their frequency and therefor higher performance cores are not able to boost to their full potential. 

image.png.b2aa09ae147ff70ed2f7e9b7772d4c5c.png

They need to co-write with low spec gaming youtubers. Most extreme budget gamers are gonna go with Haswell, Ivy Bridge, or Sandy Bridge Optiplexes. 7th gen maybe in a few years at least. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

8 hours ago, RandomLegoBrick said:

"7th gen supports nvme? wow"

*proceeds to use a sata drive literally the same price as a decent nvme*

(ex, crucial p3 plus, wd sn750)

Haswell supported NVMe, but support was pretty sketchy since NVMe was still in its very early days at the time.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If the system lagged on desktop with 7400 & 16GB of ram either you don't know how to install windows or the system has some other issue. My laptop with 6GB (8Gb 2gb gpu reserved) can run windows 11 smoothly and disabling security features for Performance is fun for a while until you get exploited and from my experiance 3rd party Avs use more reasorces that windows defender so in total the resource usage will be worse if you want somewhat secure system. and why the planet caring laptop has 1 ram slot (the rest of the ram is soldered on )That's totally consumer caring and eco friendly and which company don't use Philips (Except apple) and many of them don't have that brittle plastic clips that want to break if you open it up. You can totally take Sponsorships but lying to your viewers i did not expected that from LTT. 

Spoiler

image.png.617af6f7127bdf2638e43218be8ca102.png 1 stick socketed and the rest is solderd 😞 Its not like LMG didnt known that the thing is mentioned in the short circuit video (It is 1 year old but common fact checking before should been done and linus missing its only one stick is embarassing)

And when comes to the pc 7th gen is not old or the system you should have to throw out there is still people buyying 4th gen systems and most of them use clean windows and the systems that need a helping hand (Linux) is systems with core 2 duo or old AMDFx cpus with 2/4Gb of ram. to be completely honest the 69$ pc will be a better contender for E-Waste PC than this. And if you wanted to upgrade on a budget there is Rx 580 for gpu and 256GB sata ssds that is literally 10$. Even though Wd Blue SSD is a good drive it cost way more than that around 30$ there is even cheaper mSATA&Sata SSDs even from WD that cost less than that.  

It turns off Remote Desktop.  Does this mean dedicated programs like AnyDesk will no longer work on this version of windows?? 

11 hours ago, Vishera said:

That's because Firefox just let's anyone with access to your PC to see the passwords in it's password manager...

Same goes for Chrome.

But Safari protects your passwords - with a password:

image.thumb.png.d955e821c10f026b31cf2cd24afce98c.png

I can't speak for chrome as I don't use it, but this is an option in Firefox, it just (stupidly) defaults to disabled. I need both a password on starting up a new window (not tab) of Firefox to enable any form of autofill, and I also need to re-enter my master password to make a password visible in the vault.

11 minutes ago, fawncashew said:

I can't speak for chrome as I don't use it, but this is an option in Firefox, it just (stupidly) defaults to disabled. I need both a password on starting up a new window (not tab) of Firefox to enable any form of autofill, and I also need to re-enter my master password to make a password visible in the vault.

I just use a proper password manager separate from browsers, there's lots out there, some cheap/free options as well. They sync across multi-platform devices and can even be hosted locally sometimes. 

18 minutes ago, CamPeterson said:

It turns off Remote Desktop.  Does this mean dedicated programs like AnyDesk will no longer work on this version of windows?? 

AnyDesk will work... it's just the RDP protocol... however I'd be more worried that it turns off Windows Defender.

1 hour ago, CamPeterson said:

Dont think so it just disable the built in Remote desktop (Inside settings, System>Remote desktop I think you need windows pro to use it)

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's also very important to note that any image that bricks windows update also bricks loading device drivers for odd stuff that isnt included in the driverstore but is available as a WHQL driver from windows update. (more common than you'd think..) this ofcourse assumes they didnt also nuke the driverstore, like tiny11 did...

I made my own slim image of Windows without borking updates:

image.thumb.png.5ab10ea6a13cc4b1146c1f988c99c960.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

watched this in the morning, i have an even slower processor so i was kinda surprised what's inside it because i felt it would have something like a core 2 duo

I'm very concerned about you advertising AtlasOS as the project that it is built on (AME) and by extension AtlasOS does not believe in security updates, leaving systems vulnerable to almost everything since 2018. To quote the AME website:

Since the release of Windows 10, various security patches have been pushed to fix critical vulnerabilities, via Windows update distribution. These patches are not available for AME, as this subsystem has been disabled.

They attempt to justify this by more or less saying "well Windows is insecure anyway":

It is critical to understand, that Windows, regardless of its modernity and patched state, has proven to not be a secure platform.

Source: https://docs.ameliorated.io/common-questions/the-case-for-our-method.html

Advertising this project is incredibly dangerous as this fact is hidden deep within the docs where most users will never see it.