You don’t need a new PC

Shahrad

I'm really, genuinely trying to wrap my head around how LTT would in good faith recommend an OS like this with these problems specifically:

image.png.1bbc5685b7c4bc0f93b5a72282471e61.png

Recommending removing anti virus programs, and meltdown mitigations (among other things) just so your file manager opens 0.2 seconds faster is NOT a trade anyone should be willing to make. Worst part I can see happening is some new tech enthusiast is going to watch the video, think "gosh, I can get so much more speed out of my (and potentially other's) PC!", proceed to download it without downloading 3rd party antiviruses and then get malware installed on their PC in a matter of days. A better disclaimer would have been needed here, glossing over these facts as "only a few downsides" will get a lot of people in serious doo doo very quickly.

Microsoft doesn't pay their security engineers hundreds of millions of dollars to patch new viruses and update Windows Defender for no reason, there's a reason they make it very difficult to "fully disable" it, so perhaps you should heed their advise lol. Security updates aren't "bloatware", they're literally the only thing keeping you from having no working PC at all 😐

Worst part about the whole thing is when Linus was interacting with stock windows, it didn't even look that slow. Certainly faster than an HDD for sure, would have liked to see multiple people try it and see if it's "unresponsive and sluggish" as claimed.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

AtlasOS is actually horrible. Disabling mitigations, antivirus, system restore and backup, and resetting this PC for... a few extra frames? way to get pwned.

These are my specs:

RX 480(trying to fix drivers and bios)

Xeon E3-1225 v3

24gb ddr3 1600MHz ram

samsung 850 evo ssd

some random 7200rpm 1tb hard drive

38 minutes ago, Collin24 said:

These are my specs:

RX 480(trying to fix drivers and bios)

Xeon E3-1225 v3

24gb ddr3 1600MHz ram

samsung 850 evo ssd

some random 7200rpm 1tb hard drive

Why do you need to run a modified version of Windows on this kind of hardware?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

40 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Why do you need to run a modified version of Windows on this kind of hardware?

I really do not see why. It seems so much of a hassle for such little performance increase.

On 4/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, WhistlerBlade said:

no idea if i can run windows 11
asus z170 Mark 1
sabertooth
wow google says i can enable it
gonna give it a try
nope no option to enable not there

Yes, you can run Winders 11 on almost anything IF you  know how to get around the TPM check; and THERE ARE WAYS.  I've even put it on a Core 2 Duo system running DDR2.

On 4/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, Vishera said:

That's because Firefox just let's anyone with access to your PC to see the passwords in it's password manager...

Same goes for Chrome.

But Safari protects your passwords - with a password:

image.thumb.png.d955e821c10f026b31cf2cd24afce98c.png

cool so does chrome and firefox

Just for fun, I decided to pull out an old system and try installing the AtlasOS and I followed all the inrections and distructions on the Atlas site and it did boot from the USB and start the OS installation process, but when it got to the "install to what drive" section, even though I deleted all existing partitions, I got an error message that it couldn't create a boot partition on the drive (or something like that).  I tried partitioning the entire unpartitioned space as one partition, and that didn't work either.  Any ideas...?

Edit:  Nevermind, I figured it out.  The "Ventoy" interface that comes up when you boot from the USB, gives you two options.  If you click on boot or install (I don't remember exactly what it says), normally, all you get on the screen is a flashing cursor.  That's when you just have to be patient and let it take how ever long it takes and 20 or 30 min. later it will actually open the Winder' install screen and it will work.

Edited by CALANGO
I figured out the answer I was lookin for.

2 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

I'm really, genuinely trying to wrap my head around how LTT would in good faith recommend an OS like this with these problems specifically:

image.png.1bbc5685b7c4bc0f93b5a72282471e61.png

Recommending removing anti virus programs, and meltdown mitigations (among other things) just so your file manager opens 0.2 seconds faster is NOT a trade anyone should be willing to make. Worst part I can see happening is some new tech enthusiast is going to watch the video, think "gosh, I can get so much more speed out of my (and potentially other's) PC!", proceed to download it without downloading 3rd party antiviruses and then get malware installed on their PC in a matter of days. A better disclaimer would have been needed here, glossing over these facts as "only a few downsides" will get a lot of people in serious doo doo very quickly.

Microsoft doesn't pay their security engineers hundreds of millions of dollars to patch new viruses and update Windows Defender for no reason, there's a reason they make it very difficult to "fully disable" it, so perhaps you should heed their advise lol. Security updates aren't "bloatware", they're literally the only thing keeping you from having no working PC at all 😐

Worst part about the whole thing is when Linus was interacting with stock windows, it didn't even look that slow. Certainly faster than an HDD for sure, would have liked to see multiple people try it and see if it's "unresponsive and sluggish" as claimed.

installing gnu/linux puts you in the same boat unless you install some normie distro, but for the sake of a bloat topic, people will wouldn't be using those then now would they?

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

I didn't think I needed a new PC until Linus described 7th gen as obsolete ewaste.

Agreed, I feel like I need a new PC even more now - also on Skylake(albeit X, but still Skylake).

I think overall this video could have been done a lot better, especially if they chose an actual obsolete platform. It might be a bigger deal when DDR3 is in the equation; I have a really hard time considering anything using DDR4 as "obsolete".

It would be a more impressive video in my mind if they had noticeable performance gains using something like an i7-2700 instead of just essentially saying "4 cores, 4 threads, 3.5Ghz = garbage" despite still being a modern platform with a modern CPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Agreed, I feel like I need a new PC even more now - also on Skylake(albeit X, but still Skylake).

I think overall this video could have been done a lot better, especially if they chose an actual obsolete platform. It might be a bigger deal when DDR3 is in the equation; I have a really hard time considering anything using DDR4 as "obsolete".

It would be a more impressive video in my mind if they had noticeable performance gains using something like an i7-2700 instead of just essentially saying "4 cores, 4 threads, 3.5Ghz = garbage" despite still being a modern platform with a modern CPU.

why, the 2500k is the baseline cpu for good desktop performance. it would have to be a 920 system. 
but at the end of the day, the 6-8th gen is whats hitting the dumpsters right now, anything older is low volume. 
even if 0.001% of viewers took this advice and went out and bought a old pos, it would dry up all the cheap machines on that gen be it 5th, 4th, even 2nd gen intel. 

there is a bit of thought in this bit because i think it will really make the best case for trying to get people to reuse. 

12 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

why, the 2500k is the baseline cpu for good desktop performance. it would have to be a 920 system. 
but at the end of the day, the 6-8th gen is whats hitting the dumpsters right now, anything older is low volume. 
even if 0.001% of viewers took this advice and went out and bought a old pos, it would dry up all the cheap machines on that gen be it 5th, 4th, even 2nd gen intel. 

there is a bit of thought in this bit because i think it will really make the best case for trying to get people to reuse. 

I would have been fine with something older, but I still think it would have been a better and more interesting video had it been done with an older platform.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Decided to try out Atlas on my old media server and holy crap does that thing move fast now.

56 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm inclined to to agree though I understand why they went with 7th gen. As an owner of a 4th gen system, I'd say that it's not worth upgrading massively from where it is now unless you're weirdly inclined. I do intend on keeping my build so have a RAM upgrade ready to go, and at some point it will eventually get the 3060 in my current system, simply because it currently doesn't have a GPU and I'd like to keep the computer around for some older games and the massive number of HDD bays I have to play with for server based use.

48 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

2nd gen Intel was viable until a couple of years ago, probably when Zen 2/10th gen Intel launched. The 920 was really a HEDT platform, before I remember seeing the acronym used.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, LapsedMemory said:

I could be mistaken, but I think the basis behind calling a 7th gen intel 'obsolete' is that Win10 is the last Windows version 7th gen and earlier will be able to run without hacks.  Once Windows 10 stops getting updates, that's it.  MS does not allow you to install Win11 on 7th gen processors, so while it technically has plenty of life still in it

...which I assume is why they went with 7th gen. When Win 10 launched I updated all of our work PCs to Win 10 without issue except a 2003 era Pentium3 based PC that was running Win 7 perfectly fine. The CPU lacked SSE2 which blocked a Win 10 install. We left it as is due to it still being supported (apparently SSE2 was required for Win7 from May 2018 but OS support outlasted my employer's business). What mattered is that it worked properly with an ancient (1990ish) program we ran for part of the business that could only print to a 1990-era dot matrix printer. All of which worked fine with the printer we had.

The point is that a 2003 era PC had 15 years of OS support. That's far longer than I'd expect but it's in the ballpark and I'd certainly expect a computer to have 10+ years of OS security support.

Microsoft will be EoL'ing it in a year and a half when they cut off Win10 updates.

14th October 2025. 2.5 years away.

The good news is that Linux runs like an absolute champ on these older processors, and will be fully supported long after MS gives them up to the scrap heap.  Come October 15, 2025, Linux will be the only secure upgrade path for millions of perfectly good, older PCs.

True but I seriously doubt that the majority of those computers will ever be upgraded. Mainstream Linux remains extremely unlikely. Though that doesn't give Microsoft a free pass of obsoleting computers that are 7-8 years old with a seemingly arbitrary TPM 2.0 requirement (had they wanted to force that, going with TPM1.1 should have been the limit for Win 11, then raise it to TPM 2 for Win 12).

--

The takeaway for me is that they could have gone with older parts but you end up with the same problem - all of them will lose OS support in 2025. I see the argument for going with the best parts that won't be supported beyond that - in particular you can go from a Kaby Lake build right through to 13th gen Intel or Ryzen 5000 and reuse the RAM, which wouldn't be possible on 5th gen Intel or earlier (Kaby Lake being the last platform with DDR3 support on the right motherboard). At the same time, I don't remember any mention of 8th gen+ in the video or any mention of Win 11 support. Can't say I'm happy with producing a video about how to modify an older pre-build without the obvious disclaimer of it not supporting Win 11.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

On 4/25/2023 at 2:09 AM, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

meanwhile me still running a 4670K. on windows 11 too, doesn't even run that bad...

I was on the same route. And I've been suprised when upgraded to 6500, then 8400.

I felt nothing improved until 10400 last year.... 😥 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:54 PM, Sakuriru said:

Ah yes, just remove spectre and meltdown fixes, definitely bloat.

If you remove all security from Windows it will run blazing fast until it gets compromised and infected.

I mean...use money you saved on not buying a new PC to get anti-virus?

On 4/24/2023 at 10:48 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

People don't use linux to extend the shelf life of an old PC.  That hasn't been a reason to use Linux for at least 15 years.  The reason people switch to Linux is usually frustration with the radical changes done to Windows, concerns with security and privacy.   Then there are the people who change to Linux without thinking about it.  

People who use their phone as their sole personal computing device and using Linux or in the case of iOS UNIX. 

People who switch to a Chromebook or mac are using Linux or OSX/ UNIX.

The rest don't really know or care what OS their computer has.  

I have seen it used to extend the shelf life of an old PC for *many* years. Including in the last 15. Even if you don't use it that way, know that it is very common.

The only place for a FX-6300 is 

Mighty Car Mods Mcm GIF - Mighty Car Mods MCM In The Bin ...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The only place for a FX-6300 is 

~snip~

For web browsing these CPUs are fine, though for gaming they are hot garbage.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I really wanted to give this a try, what stopped me was the security risks it seemed to add. My newest system is X99 based and I have a few even older systems that work perfectly well for my uses, I tend to run Windows on everything honestly just cause I am familiar with it. Stuff like AtlasOS and Tiny11/10 etc I have always found cool but never felt comfortable running on my regular use systems.

Once Windows 10 reaches EOL I might just need to look into running more Linux based operating systems. It is crazy to think that none of my computers officially support Windows 11 but maybe that's just me not wanting to admit my computers are older than they feel...

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I'm really surprised, and disappointed, to see LTT recommend something like AtlasOS given the massive security concerns.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

On 4/25/2023 at 5:00 AM, samcool55 said:

I was stupid enough to do that once!
Thing got infected in 2 days by a RAT, how i figured that out? Because my computer suddenly decided to open the firefox password vault, which was luckily empty.

Literally pulled the plug and nuked it, I'm thankful they didn't go for my lastpass vault. Never again will I run without an antivirus. It's not worth the performance bump.

I feel you, have never done that, (yet) but I was once tired and stupid enough to let myself click 'allow notifications' on google. That was an easy fix though.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

I look at steams RAM usage in this video and then I look at steam on a mac (freshly launched) >_>

Skrmavbild2023-04-26kl_17_08_12.png.63409f0874e46f26b4011d50dffeb0d3.png

really wtf do you people do on your pc that you get all these viruses. 

I mean okay maybe you have a 0.0001% hance of running across a no click browser vuln with privilege escalation, but other than that.

like zero people here are not behind a router with a firewall and nat.

so what is it, is everyone here a bloody pirate downloading shit and then crying aaaaa save me AV im dumb? 

I've ran the latest version of Common Sense AV since 2010 and had zero problems. 

18 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

really wtf do you people do on your pc that you get all these viruses. 

I mean okay maybe you have a 0.0001% hance of running across a no click browser vuln with privilege escalation, but other than that.

like zero people here are not behind a router with a firewall and nat.

so what is it, is everyone here a bloody pirate downloading shit and then crying aaaaa save me AV im dumb? 

I've ran the latest version of Common Sense AV since 2010 and had zero problems. 

pornography

piracy

malicious ad networks

installing plugins or software that are compromised

my mom borked her Mac trying to install Flash because a website popup told her to!