BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Ok, don't worry about it then. Doing that isn't necessary for those GPUs

Got it thank you!

Should I lock myself to GPU or let my CPUs try and help a little?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

5 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Got it thank you!

Should I lock myself to GPU or let my CPUs try and help a little?

Personally I've found letting CPU tasks run causes the GPUs tasks to take longer so I'd say no. If you do want to then limit the number of CPU threads that can be used to prevent the GPU tasks slowing down

Anyone else having trouble just getting tasks in Einstein? I remember last year I had the same problem. I just don't get any at all.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Einstein@home please, bunker till tomorrow 

I don't like delaying returns so I won't be bunkering (feels a little underhanded), but I will put my cpu's on Einstein@home 👍

1 minute ago, Shlouski said:

I don't like delaying returns so I won't be bunkering (feels a little underhanded), but I will put my cpu's on Einstein@home 👍

It isn't part of the competition until tomorrow though, so best to let it wait the partial day before returning, unless all your tasks won't complete until the start of the competition anyway.  Einstein is also a GPU enabled project, and the tasks seem reasonably quick, (a few hours), even on my ancient Radeon R9 mobile.

2 minutes ago, justpoet said:

It isn't part of the competition until tomorrow though, so best to let it wait the partial day before returning, unless all your tasks won't complete until the start of the competition anyway.  Einstein is also a GPU enabled project, and the tasks seem reasonably quick, (a few hours), even on my ancient Radeon R9 mobile.

OK I didn't know it was a GPU project, if I put my gpu's on Einstein then what should I put my cpus on, also Einstein or something else? 

Just now, Shlouski said:

OK I didn't know it was a GPU project, if I put my gpu's on Einstein then what should I put my cpus on, also Einstein or something else? 

YoYo is still a good CPU target, and NumberFields also works well with most CPUs.

One of my numberfields tasks just says ready to report and is at 100% - but its been there for like 30 min and hasn't done anything.

image.thumb.png.497820b9d0b32ef42eb5ef127dfce59d.png

2 minutes ago, 912falcon said:

One of my numberfields tasks just says ready to report and is at 100% - but its been there for like 30 min and hasn't done anything.

image.thumb.png.497820b9d0b32ef42eb5ef127dfce59d.png

Oh i fixed it i just had to update lol. I've only gathered 400 pts of work done after 3.5 hrs. Is this good and is there any way to improve it?

Under tools, you can select to retry pending transfers.  If you look at the project and it has a timer there, you can also click update on the project and that has also helped me in the past.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Personally I've found letting CPU tasks run causes the GPUs tasks to take longer so I'd say no. If you do want to then limit the number of CPU threads that can be used to prevent the GPU tasks slowing down

I went into my numberfields settings and disabled cpu. I then clicked reset project in the BOINC manager and now no new tasks are coming back. Is there something I did wrong or how can I fix it? Before, it was using both CPU and GPU but now neither.image.thumb.png.2739ccf8826240a72ae66dc1a2b6849f.png

Main Gaming Machine

2 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

I went into my numberfields settings and disabled cpu. I then clicked reset project in the BOINC manager and now no new tasks are coming back. Is there something I did wrong or how can I fix it? Before, it was using both CPU and GPU but now neither.

FYI you don't need to reset the project when you make those changes. You probably got given a timeout from the project for aborting too many tasks. You should get more soon.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

FYI you don't need to reset the project when you make those changes. You probably got given a timeout from the project for aborting too many tasks. You should get more soon.

Thank you for the info, I am a noob. Somewhat unrelated question, for the BOINC badges do the contributions have to be during an event or can I continue to do boinc to get better badge?

Main Gaming Machine

3 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Thank you for the info, I am a noob. Somewhat unrelated question, for the BOINC badges do the contributions have to be during an event or can I continue to do boinc to get better badge?

Badges are all time unless it's a specific event badge, but those are very uncommon. We just reward people for giving time to BOINC so you're welcome to run it as much and often as you want to.

It is early on, but it looks like we're in good competition for 2nd in the Numbers Sprint! 🙂 

Darn, be quite nice to snag another silver.

Right now I have my GPUs aim at numberfields.  The 3080Ti is chewing away like mad.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just dropped all the bunkers I had. Family in town this weekend so I’m not monitoring much. Just wanted to shout out everyone for the monster efforts. It’s crazy I can bunker on a 2070 for two full days and still just be a fraction of what we drop in and hour! Every little bit counts boys! 

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

2 minutes ago, Captainmarino said:

Everyone get Einstein working alright?

Should we be running Einstein? I started up NumberFields.

7 minutes ago, Yugmi said:

I was going to bunker but haven't been able to get a single task for it. I had the same problem last year and I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any particular applications to run under Einstein?

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

22 minutes ago, Yugmi said:

Preferably NumberFields

Okay, I've spent the last 2 or 3 hours trying to get setup for the pentathlon 2023 BUT I am seeing so much conflicting information and still can't find a dedicated thread for how to setup BOINC for this event on the LTT team.... like which project?, any strategies as a team?, how to set it up for the event for newer people so that there is less confusion. Maybe it's easy for me and others like me but what about the other people that are just trying to set it up for the first time and have no idea where to look and what to do and just want something easy and concise? I don't know maybe I'm just over reacting but if it's confusing for me, someone who's used BOINC for many years, then it might be for newbies as well. Just my opinion.