How often do you upgrade your PC?

Bismut

Rarely.  and there's always a reason for it, I don't upgrade dor the aake of upgrading

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I typically upgrade every 8-10 years. Really depends on my needs and or my hardware shows any depreciable degradation.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 hours ago, 8tg said:

Two of my favorite designs, an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970 Golden Edition and a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x

The one in the middle is a pixelview PDFII nvidia FX 5900 XT

I got into computers too late for a lot of the old artwork coolers and boxes. I got really into them around Pascal, but had always sort of been around them. Usually just a Dell or HP prebuilt for home use. I did find one that has box art that almost matches your PFP.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 to 5 years.

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**

I do about 5 years, and at the time buy the fastest there is.

Went from 8700k 5.3ghz, gtx 1080 ftw hybrid, 3200 ddr4, 1440p ultra wide

TO

13900ks 

4090 tuf

7800 ddr5

4k oled 138hz

Hoping it lasts another 5 years 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

On 2/11/2023 at 3:30 AM, 12345678 said:

each time that I get sucked in comunity bs

exiting from smartphone "entusiast", getting in pc exiting from pc, getting into cars, exiting from cars getting, in some other random shit with shillers being gurus of sorts

idk if a lack of affections or trust causes me to get in such bs, I end up wasting money and time

hmm kinda like me i got out of pc and started with paintball stuff then went back to pc stuff... i mean one click you own it...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Every gen since 2019. Even intergeneration. 

2070 Super >

3080 > 3080 Ti also 6900 XT

Just bought a white Strix 4090 to replace a black Strix 4090

Probably going to get a Titan if its not like 6 months away from 5000 series. 

3700X > 5800X > 7700X. Hopefully X3D depending on benches. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

Well I tend to upgrade GPU every 2nd gen, so currently Im using a 3080, I'll be waiting for the 5080 then if the price isnt stupidly high that is, else I'll just go full AMD setup. Although rest of the stuff I tend to upgrade like every 2 years, stuff like storage.

Still using an X99 system for quite sometime now, Im looking into getting a 7950X3D soon

Every now and then but never to the latest and the greatest because of bugs and things being unstable

🔥 5950x - 3080 - 165hz

F@H

the only upgrade i made.... it was adding another 8 gb ram stick, im still using my 2018 pc with its 2016 hardware, im not sure if i want to upgrade or noth, i just play some light games and cs go,  that's all

1 hour ago, sebavera said:

the only upgrade i made.... it was adding another 8 gb ram stick, im still using my 2018 pc with its 2016 hardware, im not sure if i want to upgrade or noth, i just play some light games and cs go,  that's all

If it meets your requirements, why bother?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Usually every couple years, but I purposely stay a few generations behind. Still get great performance but saved a few bucks or a thousand, give or take.

I remember back in 98-2006 I upgraded pretty much every 6 months. Not the complete system but a new GPU or a new CPU, extra RAM, ... 

I feel the need to upgrade these days is much less needed. Generational jumps are much smaller and as long as your system is still on par with current gen consoles, you will have no problem playing any triple A game in decent settings as all the games are multiplatform nowadays.  I upgraded my 1080ti to a 3090 by 'accident' but wasn't actually planning for it. I would still be fine using a 1080ti although recently I switched to a 34 wide QHD monitor so the extra pixels would set a lot of extra strain on the system 🙂 

I always advise people to get medium hardware. The extra price for higher tier products is not balanced with the extra money you have to put on the table. You're better of buying 2 mid tier GPUs over time than 1 high end GPU to have it last the same periode.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:38 AM, Arika S said:

Rarely.  and there's always a reason for it, I don't upgrade dor the aake of upgrading

I'm speed addicted "faster" is usually considered a reason for me...

I feel satisfied longer with newer hardware there was a time when everything was slow, and HDD was annoying enough to shell out 300 for a 32GB SSD when it was new tech.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2-6 years depending on needs

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I built a PC in 2015. Added an SSD a few years later.

Then in 2018, I built a whole new PC and sold the old one for parts (carried over drives).

I hope to build a whole new PC again this year maybe. Well, the plan was every 3 years but the GPU shortage stopped me. And now I'm just waiting to see current gen midrange models come out because I'm not in a hurry. It's just fun to plan out the parts and aesthetic for a whole system in one go, so I avoid upgrading the same PC entirely.

I try to get 1 year per $200 CAD spent. Got 10 years out of my last computer. I spent around $1100 on my current computer, so I'm aiming for at least 5-6 years with my current configuration.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I pretty much don't intend to upgrade again for AT least 10 years after getting a perfect 1440P build. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

I'm currently in the process of updating from a 4790k to a 13900k, so ~8 years. I really only update when the PC is no longer doing what I need out of it.

The only changes I did from the initial build was storage upgrades. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Usually, I plan on 5 years for a CPU/MOBO, 2-3 years for a GPU.

I've had two primary builds since I got back into gaming PCs in 2016.

The first was a 6700k / GTX 1070 tower built in August 2016.

I upgraded the GPU to a 2070 Super in 2019 after I decided to go 1440p Ultrawide.

The second was a 5800x build from July 2021. I carried over the 2070S, but the case and other parts were fresh, so that I could use the old one as a backup / guest rig.

Last month, I replaced the 2070S with an RTX 3070 after finding a good deal.

There was a time where i'd buy new CPU's and GPU's just because they hit the market and i could, these days though, i plan on riding out every bit of hardware i have until it dies or becomes obsolete.  My 7700 and GTX 1080 are still doing an ok~ish job with my old Asus 1920x1080 monitors, but when it can no longer handle new AAA games at reasonable settings, i'll take a massive leap up in horsepower and throw in some new monitors too, hopefully they'll last me a good 7+ years too 😊

I do the same thing with phones, they need to completely die or get to the point where their batteries can't last a full day before i'll start looking for a replacement. 

• 2 weeks later...

When i can't do something anymore i'd like to do with my current hardware.

Me being fine with 1080p 60fps medium settings, and not being particularly into the latest GPU smasher AAA titles, but more into strategy and isometric RPG games, i have a feeling my current build(Ryzen 3600 with 5700XT) will work out for me just fine for many more years to come.

Maybe i'll buy used 5800X3D and whatever used GPUs will be available in the future when my current setup isn't enough for my needs anymore.

I've only upgraded of my own accord twice, and both times were because my setup was too slow to do the things I wanted. The first time was about 7 years ago when I upgraded my old Core 2 Duo/Nvidia 7300LE desktop to use a Core 2 Quad and 750Ti since I wanted to play video games other than Minecraft. The second time was a year after the first upgrade when I built an entirely new desktop to stream and play newer video games.

The last time I got a new computer was when I started going to university for computer engineering, where a laptop is almost required, The one I got had a Ryzen 7 4800h and RTX 2060. I was wary of getting a laptop at first but it ended up being fine since I don't play video games nearly as often as I used to.

So, I don't upgrade my setup unless I really need it for the things I want to do. I've seen too many of my friends blow all their savings on brand new, top-end setups when their "old" setups are only a few years old.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Personally? As often as needed. If what I do doesn't work properly anymore, then an upgrade is needed. I upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600 at launch to a Ryzen 9 5950x this Christmas. Etc.

My bar is just stuff working properly and in a timely manner.