Why did you/why didn't you join the military?

24 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Infantry or logistics? 

Marines.

No hate, all love.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'm like 5 foot 5 so... yea. Probably won't be much use on the frontlines.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

it never came cross to my mind

mostly because I hate being ordered around, and I don't want to end up as a tool for whales wars

besides here, weirdly enough you need to pay to be on the military, meanwhile in the us in my understanding they give you free stuff untill your training is off.

I went in the Reserves, Electronic Warfare, when I was around 18.

I am not soldier material. I don't take orders that I don't like very well, and if it doesn't make sense I'll question it. They don't like that.

Also blew up my knee in training and this was before the CAF was more humanized, so they just found a way to drum me out instead of trying to do anything.

Fun times. I was one of the best marksmen in my platoon though.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I knew in 7th grade I wanted to join when I got to highschool I went to the rotc program and was in it all four years of highschool. 

Ended up going into the Airforce as a 3P0X1 aka security forces which is the airforce fancy term for police.

Never went overseas, but a base of mostly civilian contractors and a small percentage of military there was lots of stuff that occurred that I wish I'd never seen.

I've been out since 2020 just before the pandemic hit went to a trade school to be an electrician. Been good from there.

Well I want too due to how much US military does to help countries (I am adopted from Korea and I hear stories from people on how the US still helps south korea), I personally think I can't do it/join due to my autism.

I can say about my dad and grandpa.

My dad was doing ROTC but also wanted to join because how the US keeps the peace (he came from Taiwan in the 60's ) he served from 96-00.

My grandpa joined during Vietnam and continued to do his job as a intelligence officer until the 90's.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Mandatory conscription where I live. 

I was in service for 8.5 months in 2001.

Actually liked it, but not as much as returning to civilian life though.

I edit my posts more often than not

I would go do army only if i wish to make it a career. if you are joining just to pick up some skills and then leave for the civilian sectors, i dont think the military path is the most effective means to do this. 

If you want to make it a career tho, United States military is pretty sweet. they pay for your housing, either having you living on base or giving you BAH allowance which is tax free.

Military also hands out pensions at mere 20 years of service. This means if you go in at 18, you can claim pension at age 38 and retire which is insane. Some people may say it is not enough to live off of which is true if you never move up in ranks which is kinda impossible when you have 20 years in the army. 

for example, you can go ROTC, have the army pay for your college education and commisioned into the army as a O-1 Liuetenent. If you stayed in the army for 20 years, you WILL either reach the rank of Colonel or you will be booted and kicked out. it is a do or dont, so either you make it or you will be dropped. At the rank of colonel, your pension is basically 50% of your highest salalry which at todays money, it is roughly 60k per year. 

To match that passive income, if you follow the 4% rule, you will need a whopping 1.5 million dollars saved up in your 401k by the age 38 to match that military pension. this is like 3k per month in 401k contributions until you are age 38. insane right?

Furthermore, if you max out your military TSP(military version of 401K) then by age 59, you would have your 60k military pension + whatever your TSP is + your social security. that is easily 200K+ passive income per year in todays money plus a nestegg in the millions at age 59.

In terms of housing, I live in NYC. rent here is riddiculus. If you are stationed here as a O-3 Captain, which usually requires 4 years in the army as an officer to reach this rank, your cost of living BAH allowances(all tax free) + salalry easily translates into $130k in total compensation per year

https://militarypay.defense.gov/calculators/rmc-calculator/

so if you joined the army at 18, do your 4 years of college, graduate and be commission as an officer at 22 and become captain at 26 AND stationed in high cost of living area like NYC, your total income is $130k per year with 55k of that being tax advantage. This means you are literally earning equivilent of 150k+ civilian job that does not have any tax advantage whatsoever. Add the pension on top of it, this is just insane amount of money. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

While here in Brazil we do have conscription, there's more people interested in joining the military than they are able to handle, so it's pretty much voluntary.

I never had any interest, the pay is low and I was already in uni (which is free here btw), during the enlisting process (and here it has many steps) people kept bugging me to join, speaking how I would get a higher rank since I was already in uni and whatnot. Simply went through all of the process to finally be able to say "no" in the end when they ask who really wants to join.

However, for those less fortunate to be able to join a university or who have a hard time getting a job, the army is a good option here, it just wasn't for me.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I don't even know where to begin with the list of reasons I didn't join or even consider joining the military... in general it just seems like a complete waste of my time, before we even get into moral considerations. My country's military is only ever involved in the occasional NATO mission so I would most likely end up doing nothing of importance in whichever post I was given. I'd have to spend most of my time away from my family and friends and in uncomfortable quarters... for no real reason. I also wouldn't ever want to kill someone, which I understand is a bit of a deal breaker 😛 also I'd rather not risk death as part of my job.

I guess early retirement is appealing but it's not worth wasting decades of my life. Also I suppose some people feel like they have no choice due to financial circumstances... I'm lucky that wasn't my case.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I joined cuz I wanted to to learn things you cannot learn outside the military and also be ready to defend and stand up for my country in case I have to.

<removed>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Please be respectful when commenting as well as keeping comments on topic. You know the rules please follow them.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, wasab said:

I would go do army only if i wish to make it a career. if you are joining just to pick up some skills and then leave for the civilian sectors, i dont think the military path is the most effective means to do this. 

If you want to make it a career tho, United States military is pretty sweet. they pay for your housing, either having you living on base or giving you BAH allowance which is tax free.

Military also hands out pensions at mere 20 years of service. This means if you go in at 18, you can claim pension at age 38 and retire which is insane. Some people may say it is not enough to live off of which is true if you never move up in ranks which is kinda impossible when you have 20 years in the army. 

for example, you can go ROTC, have the army pay for your college education and commisioned into the army as a O-1 Liuetenent. If you stayed in the army for 20 years, you WILL either reach the rank of Colonel or you will be booted and kicked out. it is a do or dont, so either you make it or you will be dropped. At the rank of colonel, your pension is basically 50% of your highest salalry which at todays money, it is roughly 60k per year. 

To match that passive income, if you follow the 4% rule, you will need a whopping 1.5 million dollars saved up in your 401k by the age 38 to match that military pension. this is like 3k per month in 401k contributions until you are age 38. insane right?

Furthermore, if you max out your military TSP(military version of 401K) then by age 59, you would have your 60k military pension + whatever your TSP is + your social security. that is easily 200K+ passive income per year in todays money plus a nestegg in the millions at age 59.

In terms of housing, I live in NYC. rent here is riddiculus. If you are stationed here as a O-3 Captain, which usually requires 4 years in the army as an officer to reach this rank, your cost of living BAH allowances(all tax free) + salalry easily translates into $130k in total compensation per year

https://militarypay.defense.gov/calculators/rmc-calculator/

so if you joined the army at 18, do your 4 years of college, graduate and be commission as an officer at 22 and become captain at 26 AND stationed in high cost of living area like NYC, your total income is $130k per year with 55k of that being tax advantage. This means you are literally earning equivilent of 150k+ civilian job that does not have any tax advantage whatsoever. Add the pension on top of it, this is just insane amount of money. 

As a single E7 I'll be making enough to live off of when i retire here in a few months. I already live on basically 1/2 months pay just because i don't buy much stuff. But most enlisted have at least 1 ex wife (striper they married to get out of the barracks) and a few kids they have to pay for which means after retirement they still need to get another job because their dependapotamus wife is always a MLM jobless bum 😂

In 2024 I'm gonna go to school with the GI bill in San Francisco, so I'll be collecting the highest BAH in the country and I'll be crashing at my cousins house for next to nothing and that BAH is all tax free so it will be quite a nice addition to my investment accounts.

6 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

Snip

Smart

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Assimov said:

I didn't join the military because of the high number of literal nazis in german military.

Right wing extremism is a serious problem in the military that i'm sure is not exclusive to germany.

Every year we have news reports about right wing soldiers stealing weapons and ammunition and horribly racist and antisemitic 'jokes' being shared within units.

https://www.economist.com/1843/2022/10/21/how-right-wing-extremists-infiltrated-germanys-armed-forces

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/11/1142141125/the-rise-of-extremism-in-germanys-military

(On top of the rampant misogyny, machismo and general abuse)

This is probably gonna be deleted again, anyway this as a whole could be summarized as tell me you haven't been in the military without telling me you haven't been in the military.

So just because some are bad the whole service is and also full of it? I know and worked with a lot of German soldiers and they aren't even close to what you claim. It is true that generally military services are more right leaning but not to the degree you are claiming. The thing is that it often is more an issue of the absence of left leaning people because of their general stance on the military and wars. I went to College/University before joining the military and that's what I noticed and quiet a few people I know from College and University were like what you are joining the military I would never. About the stealing I don't know but again a handful of people are doing something bad and now the whole service is like that?

Abuse is not tolerated at all but people often seem to confuse how soldiers are disciplined in the military with abuse which are totally different things. Anything that is happening in the military form top to bottom is within regulation and any soldier that has the feeling he is abused has the right to report that. Talking about NATO militaries. Misogyny is also punished pretty bad if it is reported and true. Some dudes from basic were catcalling on a female soldier and the DI punished the whole class for it. I also wouldn't call it machismo but sure soldiers are taught and trained to be strong, confident, dominant,... because those are traits that are needed to win battles (which is the general purpose of soldiers).

Sure the military isn't for anyone but talking down on it (without actually knowing) because it is different to your believes and stating that as fact isn't the way.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

11 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

This is probably gonna be deleted again, anyway this as a whole could be summarized as tell me you haven't been in the military without telling me you haven't been in the military.

So just because some are bad the whole service is and also full of it? I know and worked with a lot of German soldiers and they aren't even close to what you claim. It is true that generally military services are more right leaning but not to the degree you are claiming. The thing is that it often is more an issue of the absence of left leaning people because of their general stance on the military and wars. I went to College/University before joining the military and that's what I noticed and quiet a few people I know from College and University were like what you are joining the military I would never. About the stealing I don't know but again a handful of people are doing some bad shit and now the whole service is like that?

Abuse is not tolerated at all but people often seem to confuse how soldiers are disciplined in the military with abuse which are totally different things. Anything that is happening in the military form top to bottom is within regulation and any soldier that has the feeling he is abused has the right to report that. Talking about NATO militaries. Misogyny is also punished pretty bad if it is reported and true. Some dudes from basic were catcalling on a female soldier and the DI punished the whole class for it. I also wouldn't call it machismo but sure soldiers are taught and trained to be strong, confident, dominant,... because those are traits that are needed to win battles (which is the general purpose of soldiers).

Sure the military isn't for anyone but talking down on it (without actually knowing) because it is different to your believes and stating that as fact isn't the way.

I want to know why people did or didn't join the military. 

If that user believes there are Nazis in the military for his country and that is something the reason he didn't join that military then that is his reason. 

If people perceive the military to be one way and its reality is another, that's okay. 

Is the military full of Nazis that eat babies? Idk but if that's the perception of someone and that's the reason they decided to not join then that's the reason they decided to not join. 

A friend of mine joined the Bundeswehr and he absolutely loves it there. He gets an insane payday even though he's not even an officer yet and gets to travel around the world (so far he luckily hasn't been sent to any war zones)

I personally can't imagine joining up. I don't like travel, i'm not athletic and i hate blindly following orders or "military discipline" in general. Plus i'm pretty happy with my current normie job. Since Germany put conscription on hold a few years before i was of age, i didn't have to do that or find a way around it.

Still, i respect those who want to do it. And like my friend has proven to me; it has a lot of benefits like early retirement, good pay, etc. But it also comes with risks, so it's perfectly understandable why one wouldn't want to do it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I joined the Danish military, what we call Værnepligten. Værnepligten is a 4 months period with military, first aid, and NBC training. I think it's called conscription in English.

I joined up because I needed a kick in the ass, as we say it in Danish. I did not have a job, I was lazy, things like that, so I joined up to kick start myself into real adult hood life, and I'm so glad I did. Right after the military, I started on my IT supporter education and today I'm done and have been a full time IT supporter at KPMG for 1.5 years. 

Life is now good, and the military really started this 🙂

I can and I will recommend the military for all!

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

15 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

I joined the Danish military, what we call Værnepligten. Værnepligten is a 4 months period with military, first aid, and NBC training. I think it's called conscription in English.

I joined up because I needed a kick in the ass, as we say it in Danish. I did not have a job, I was lazy, things like that, so I joined up to kick start myself into real adult hood life, and I'm so glad I did. Right after the military, I started on my IT supporter education and today I'm done and have been a full time IT supporter at KPMG for 1.5 years. 

Life is now good, and the military really started this 🙂

I can and I will recommend the military for all!

There are a lot of people who don't know what to do after school. I can see how a few months or a year of military service can help people start out their life as an adult.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

There are a lot of people who don't know what to do after school. I can see how a few months or a year of military service can help people start out their life as an adult.

Yup exactly mate 👍

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Danish here. I got out of doing my conscription time by having asthma. It was fine. I was planning to do a volunteer year in Germany, so not having to be stuck in a trench for 4 months was very befitting for my plans. It made me able to sit in a hole in Germany instead (I was doing archeological work) 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

I applied for the cadets training in 2020 (around jan-feb before covid made it in India) but wasn't physically fit enough at the time to make it, I come from a lineage starting with my great grandfather, my grandpa, my dad and some of my uncles and 2nd cousins are/were either in the army or work/ed for the government.

Now physically I'm worse, and I don't want to work for the government, if you've been to any office of the Indian government, you'd know why, I want to learn how to code for games and probably move out of the country and work as programmer or a game dev.