I had to delete my Youtube App - How Youtube Shorts destroyed my life (at least, a little tiny bit)

Go to solution Solved by Sarra,
2 minutes ago, Mystorius_ said:

Oh really, that's awesome. Do you happen to know a guide that explains how to do it ? 

I just pulled the plug on my iOS youtube app, and I don't how I feel about it.

I used to watch a lot of youtube videos daily. According to the analysis of my watch history about half is entertainment and half is educational. iOS screen time tells me I used to use the youtube app about 17h per week on average.t

That changed a lot since youtube put the "shorts" button directly in the "home" area and even added a new category into its app. My watch time increased from 17h to 22h in the following week,
then 26h and for this week I am at 27h 17min. I also look through my watch history and, kindly, youtube bundles up the amount of shorts seen. I watch 413 in one go, and I don't even remember a single thing I saw.

I know this is not something new, "doom scrolling" has been around for quite some time, however, I don't have this problem with Instagram (I only use the app about 30min per week on average) and I just never installed TickTock.
I like youtube, I want to watch entertaining and educational videos, but I don't want to waste 10h of my life scrolling through shorts. But I can't help myself.

I decided to uninstall the youtube app and only watch videos on my pc. I hope, was the shorts experience is quite bad in the browser, I won't fall into the same trap.

Had anyone else same experience in the last couple of weeks since youtube put shorts in front of everything? 
Does anyone know if there are third-party youtube apps for iOS that just don't have shorts "enabled"? Would it be possible to make a browser extension that would just remove the all shorts content from the youtube homepage like add-removers do that with ads?

Sorry if this is not the correct category for this discussion topic.

Youtube shorts = Tiktok. Its pretty much the same as what vine was, highly addictive short video format stuff that can just get you stuck watching for hours if you arent very mindful with it. They are designed to keep you for as long as possible.

As someone who always hated people who have the attention span of a goldfish, and kept changing the channel every 5 seconds, I absolutely hate how Tiktok is a thing, and how YT is pushing this shit on us.

I don't want it, I want proper content, I don't mind 20 minute+ videos.

I definitely think shorts should be removable or have it's own section, but they way they push it, is highly problematic.

Totally agree and I would say so fare I stayed on the 'good side' however if the short are directly put into my feed, I don't seem to be able to not 'click' them 😕 

I had the same thing happen to me. The shorts are everywhere you go, sometimes you cant avoid them because it might have some good information but then you get addicted to other shorts after that one. ITs why I deleted tiktok but I honestly cant delete my youtube bc I learn alot of stuff.

short story short, shorts are like tiktok 

I just ignore shorts. After a while, YouTube's app removes that first row of shorts. I guess it ends up learning that I ain't clicking on that digital crack and stops suggesting them at all.

Btw for those who use Android. Youtube Vanced allows you to remove shorts from the frontpage. No idea of Revanced does this as well.

I never use the app and I don't watch shorts so, no, it hasn't affected me at all.

On android, I use Adblock browser to watch YT. that deletes ads.

Shorts are the new plaque! I do the following:

- unsubscribe from channels that have a large ratio of shorts

- most of the time I only watch what I subscribe to. I only run out of subscriptions only at home on the PCs I have (living room etc.). Much easier to use than a phone (app, or phone browser)

YT suggestions can be improved:

- only subscribe to channels you really like. Watch a few videos of a new to you channel before subscribing. 

- select the "don't recommend this channel" for ones you don't like

- watch the videos you like to the end, and like them

- Don't watch videos that you are not likely to like (probably hard to know before watching, but if they have bombastic titles like "10 best....", or "you need to know this... before...", I usually don't like them

- if you end up watching one you don't like, make sure to do the "don't recommend this channel" or dislike it 

- YT uses all of the above to find out what you like. So if YT keeps suggesting KKK videos to you, you should re-consider what you watch and like 🙂

After a short while, the algorithm will be much better. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Speaking of useless shorts, can we get less of this Bad Baby ass slapping retarded wanna be comedian bullshit?  How about scale back the stupid and add more info?  Thanks!

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I also have an issue with going down the shorts rabbit hole... The problem with me is that YouTube figured out that I like quick educational content and it started to put a lot of these really interesting historical shorts on my feed. I just wished that more content creators would post short "regular videos" on the subject rather than ONLY on shorts. But alas...shorts are an effective way of getting views with minimal effort.

The bad news is, as far i know (i haven't used the app in,  5 years or so) the browser version of yt is nearly identical , so deleting the app (wait, you can do that? ) isnt really going to help much.

22 minutes ago, ecopengi said:

shorts are an effective way of getting views with minimal effort.

no, shorts is the thing you put under your trousers ! 😉

or that Bart eats!

Do people still watch the Simpsons or is that too boomer? (lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The bad news is, as far i know (i haven't used the app in,  5 years or so) the browser version of yt is nearly identical , so deleting the app (wait, you can do that? ) isnt really going to help much.

no, shorts is the thing you put under your trousers ! 😉

or that Bart eats!

Do people still watch the Simpsons or is that too boomer? (lol)

YouTube also recommends a lot of Simpsons shorts as well lol

not sure if you can do it on iOS, but just remove/hide shorts on youtube? 

Didi that, cause i was tired of having my recommended page cluttered with shorts. Now it looks as it's supposed to look, just videos that might interest me and nothing else.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You can use uBlock or Adblock to block shorts on a Firefox/Chrome/Chromium browser. I did that, and dear god, YT is so much better without shorts.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

4 minutes ago, Sarra said:

You can use uBlock or Adblock to block shorts on a Firefox/Chrome/Chromium browser. I did that, and dear god, YT is so much better without shorts.

Oh really, that's awesome. Do you happen to know a guide that explains how to do it ? 

2 minutes ago, Mystorius_ said:

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Ever tried Youtube Revanced?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Am I the only one who always skip those short videos?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/6/2022 at 3:14 PM, Neroon said:

As someone who always hated people who have the attention span of a goldfish, and kept changing the channel every 5 seconds, I absolutely hate how Tiktok is a thing, and how YT is pushing this shit on us.

I don't want it, I want proper content, I don't mind 20 minute+ videos.

I definitely think shorts should be removable or have it's own section, but they way they push it, is highly problematic.

I feel the same way, I can't stand when people watch tiktok without headphones in public places.

11 hours ago, wasab said:

Am I the only one who always skip those short videos?

Nope.

Good on you for having the mental wherewithal to first recognize you had an issue, and then also taking steps to remediate it. That alone shows you have a fair amount of discipline, even if your Youtube watch history says otherwise.

As I get older (37), I realize I missed the whole tiktok/shorts boat, and it never really caught my attention at any point. That isn't to say I don't have my own issues with Youtube, though. I certainly watch it far to often (and not usually for educational purposes), and It's something I need to work on myself.

As other have mentioned, I too use Youtube Vanced. While I can block certain things, I think it's ability to block sponsors, ads, and other garbage has made my watch time actually get worse as the commercials aren't there to dissuade me from watching further.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

On 11/7/2022 at 1:12 AM, Shimejii said:

Youtube shorts = Tiktok. Its pretty much the same as what vine was, highly addictive short video format stuff that can just get you stuck watching for hours if you arent very mindful with it. They are designed to keep you for as long as possible.

TikTok has a far better implementation though. YouTube shorts = short youtube video with controls removed. When you copy link to the video and open in new tab, it opens as a normal video.

What annoys me about YT shorts is that home page is full of "shorts" of chicks. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind looking at grills, but kind of want to see other stuff on YT.

4 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

What annoys me about YT shorts is that home page is full of "shorts" of chicks. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind looking at grills, but kind of want to see other stuff on YT.

Well apparently, that's what you look for the most/longest.

I just scrolled through like 20 vids, and only 1 video of specifically a chick, which was Lady Gaga (no clue why, I don't watch her stuff), and while there was some other random stuff in there from men, most of it aligned with video content I watch.