LTT Official Folding Month V (2022)

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,
52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just working on the blog post now, probably will be up within the hour 

It is here, just in time! 

Points validated going back to take a nap slept like crap last night.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

11 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

Points validated going back to take a nap slept like crap last night.

Thank you for all your dedication and hard work man. The event would be no where near as seamless without you and @leadeater with his script 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Different income though, right now I can splurge but I'm entirely reliant on disability benefit and as my disability gets worse and the government cut backs get more severe, I will have a lot less to spend on technology so it needs to last as long as possible.

I'm sorry to hear you are in this situation, but wouldn't it be better to buy the best bang for buck gpu and save money that can be used towards next gen cards?

IF you could get them at msrp the 3090 was 1500 dollars and the 3080 was 700 dollars, which is an 800 dollars difference, and the 4080 12gb was supposed to be a 900 dollar card before it was cancelled. Personally I would prefer to pay 100 dollars extra and end up with a 3080 and a 4080 12gb over just a 3090. This time things might be different as the price difference between the 80 and 90 cards has halved, and the performance gap might be larger than the 10% we saw between the 3080 and 3090.

The 4090 is unlikely to be the best bang for buck gpu in the 40 series, we will have to wait and see, I especially would want to wait to see all the cards if I thought money might become an issue, I would want to see prices and performance figures before buying.

Another issue I have with trying to futureproof by buying the best is that you can miss out new features and technologies that are often released with new hardware. 

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Lets not forget the 3090s blowing up issue

Wasn't that predominantly an EVGA soldering issue, the same cards that had overbuilt power delivery? 

New World bricked EVGA’s RTX 3090 GPUs because of a soldering issue | PCGamesN

Or are you referring to a different issue? 

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

NVIDIA do not seem to put any safety margin in their reference design so wanting a card that is more than the bare minimum seems a reasonable thing to look for.

Well in the above case of evga cards failing, I would have preferred that evga used quality parts and workmanship good enough to do the job, instead of trying and failing to overbuild the power delivery. 

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

who knows if Zotac will exist in 12 months let alone 5 years

This is a legitimate concern, unfortunately no company is immune to this issue.  

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Plus with the whole Brexit fiasco

The less said about this the better, from a British expat living in Spain 😩.

1 minute ago, Shlouski said:

I'm sorry to hear you are in this situation, but wouldn't it be better to buy the best bang for buck gpu and save money that can be used towards next gen cards?

I'm in the same boat as Alex. I'm on disability too, it's hard, I run older hardware and pay for it in the ongoing higher energy cost. Spreading the cost makes lots of sense to people like us even if it isn't the most cost effective method in the long run

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

Hmm, I'd rather have that weather during folding month than what I've currently got (in C):

1755504464_ScreenShot2022-11-02at7_12_24PM.thumb.png.c5bb7743dfccc6d5d741f7ba76bc4338.png

That’s our July August weather. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That’s our July August weather. 

That isn't to dissimilar to here really.  It can be 5 to 35 in that range of days here, maybe more I'm not a meteorologist.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

32 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

The 4090 is unlikely to be the best bang for buck gpu in the 40 series, we will have to wait and see, I especially would want to wait to see all the cards if I thought money might become an issue, I would want to see prices and performance figures before buying.

I get its a little crazy economically, but there's also the fact the 4090 is a beast even at 50% TDP and I want to continue to be able to fold at least sometimes, as its one of the few useful things I can do for society, other than tech support mostly on this forum.  Its about not feeling like a useless drain on society while feeding my tech obsession.  I'm really excited as we push towards raytracing and frame generation technologies to get graphics to a point nobody thought possible so soon.  So even if its expensive, I feel its a good fit, particularly if I do it right now before the impact of the energy price increase hits as I get the boost over the 3080 while using less electricity.

There's also the fact both me and my mum are high risk for COVID complications (were both disabled and effective have to care for each other), so I lost my social life once the pandemic hit, I need something to take my mind off the isolation.  A good walking simulator or game where you get a explore a realistic world can really help, the more realistic the better.  Gaming is a kind of therapy to me, even before the pandemic.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

24 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm in the same boat as Alex. I'm on disability too, it's hard, I run older hardware and pay for it in the ongoing higher energy cost. Spreading the cost makes lots of sense to people like us even if it isn't the most cost effective method in the long run

When you say spreading the costs, are you referring to using the hardware over an extended period of time? 

1 minute ago, Shlouski said:

When you say spreading the costs, are you referring to using the hardware over an extended period of time? 

No I mean, running older hardware makes the hardware cheap. but the running costs higher. So you spread the cost as in are spending more on power over time

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Might have to go digging for every spare case fan I can find and build a curtain of fans to drape over the doorway or something. 😉

There are corner of door fans for sale all over for folks to circulate wood stove/fireplace heat through their houses.  You can probably pick up a couple of those fairly cheaply to get the heat towards the areas you want.

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Canada's western tumor. Alaska.

Fuckin LOL

Here in the GTA we've had what is basically tropical this week, was almost 20C today.

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

No I mean, running older hardware makes the hardware cheap. but the running costs higher. So you spread the cost as in are spending more on power over time

The upfront costs are lower but the ongoing costs are equal or higher for lower performance basically.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

Just now, Bianks84 said:

Fuckin LOL

Here in the GTA we've had what is basically tropical this week, was almost 20C today.

Hail Southern entity!

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

And I'm basically trying to do the opposite right now, get expensive fancy new hardware that can run way more efficient.

The 3080 is great, but there have literally been days in the summer where I couldn't game because it was too hot.  At least some workloads I think the 4090 will work out more power efficient when power limited than the 4080, and can always be cranked back up again when needed without having to buy a newer card.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Blog post and stats should be up in the next half hour or so 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Blog post and stats should be up in the next half hour or so 

ooooh I just got my first "Cause: unspecified"!

16 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I get its a little crazy economically, but there's also the fact the 4090 is a beast even at 50% TDP and I want to continue to be able to fold at least sometimes, as its one of the few useful things I can do for society, other than tech support mostly on this forum.  Its about not feeling like a useless drain on society while feeding my tech obsession.  I'm really excited as we push towards raytracing and frame generation technologies to get graphics to a point nobody thought possible so soon.  So even if its expensive, I feel its a good fit, particularly if I do it right now before the impact of the energy price increase hits as I get the boost over the 3080 while using less electricity.

Not gonna tell you what to do, but I'd want to see what RDNA3 has to offer before pulling the trigger, especially for a long term top dollar purchase.  Even if I didn't want the new AMD card, if it is gamer competitive, it could drive down the NV card costs sooner, rather than later.

6 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Not gonna tell you what to do, but I'd want to see what RDNA3 has to offer before pulling the trigger, especially for a long term top dollar purchase.  Even if I didn't want the new AMD card, if it is gamer competitive, it could drive down the NV card costs sooner, rather than later.

don't we find out tomorrow about those? Anyone know what time? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

don't we find out tomorrow about those? Anyone know what time? 

It is their gift to me I hope. I though it was xxxx I will update in a moment.

4pm ET on youtube

Blog post is live... GO! GO! GO! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@LAR_Systems

12 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I get that, but I DID buy a 2080 and not regret it and got the 3080 during hiked prices.  I have a very different outlook on how much its worth paying to get x months higher performance, especially given I dabble in AI upscaling too.  So I'm not really worried about buyers remorse (unless my 12 pin connector melts of course, would probably run 50% TDP until I can get the Corsair PSU cable).

I don't know why in the hell I decided to go with Mint instead of the much more easily researched and used Ubuntu. Got lost in what I was doing and gave up after the python-2 issue with FAHControl. Every guide I found with the excruciating detail I was looking for used Ubuntu. Settled on 22.04 LTS and was blown away to find that it's in..... the app store equivalent????? Holy crap linux has come a long way.

Along the way I encountered some of your previous selves and some funny things such as:

@Gorgonand @RollinLower have been super helpful!

A few restarts later It's running no problem! Didn't even have to do much in the CLI to enable the GPU to start!

So as of yesterday I've had two, hear that? Two whole (not even hyperthreaded) Haswell CPU cores chugging on a damn stock cooler along with a GTX 760 earning me another ~100K PPD.

Seeing lots of updates now so I'm anxious to see if it was enough to keep some people off my arse...

ETA:

Man I might not be able to game this month if I'm going to keep @CT854 off my back

Edited by Bianks84
Spelling

55 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Fuckin LOL

I am sooo looking forward to next Tuesday, but there is still this monster of a bump on Saturday... *sigh*

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

40 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

@LAR_Systems

I get that, but I DID buy a 2080 and not regret it and got the 3080 during hiked prices.  I have a very different outlook on how much its worth paying to get x months higher performance, especially given I dabble in AI upscaling too.  So I'm not really worried about buyers remorse (unless my 12 pin connector melts of course, would probably run 50% TDP until I can get the Corsair PSU cable).

I get what you're saying, just suggesting a few days could be significant in price or choice.

On a completely unrelated note...seeing your sig and pfsense, what are your favorite bits to configure or packages to add onto pfsense?  I know I want to run it (actually have it going on a mini-pc, but on local network rather than as a router), but haven't dug in enough to feel sufficiently ready to make it my connection.  Currently I don't have time (too many larger outdoor projects) to dig into the documentation and packages to make it do the things I know I want (DNS over HTTPS, segmented network on the 4 LAN ports: home LAN/guest wireless/local servers/generic IoT, port knocking access to the local server network segment, and some good self updating firewall rules like I've done for a long time with ipfilter on individual machines).  I'm sure I can figure out how to make it all do that (I used to be an IT Consultant and Software Engineer), but I'm curious what things you find the most useful that I'll look into when I get to it more mid-winter.  🙂