Cryptominers Photo'd Jet-Washing GPUs...

An0maly_76

As if we didn't need any more reason to avoid any sudden 'deals' on the used market...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/crypto-miners-allegedly-jet-washing-gpus

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Could you potentially remedy the problem by immersing it in distilled water to dissolve any mineral deposits? Not saying it's a great solution, but if you were going to take the risk.... would that help lower the risk of blowing a card?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

3 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Could you potentially remedy the problem by immersing it in distilled water to dissolve any mineral deposits? Not saying it's a great solution, but if you were going to take the risk.... would that help lower the risk of blowing a card?

I'm not understanding this one at all. Liquids of any kind and electronics simply do not mix. Liquid = conductivity, conductivity = electronic component damage.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Meanwhile in the used car market.

INSIDE CAR WASH ??? PRESSURE WASHER COMPILATION - STUPID PEOPLE FAIL -  FUNNY AUTO WASH GONE on Make a GIF

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

27 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Meanwhile in the used car market.

INSIDE CAR WASH ??? PRESSURE WASHER COMPILATION - STUPID PEOPLE FAIL -  FUNNY AUTO WASH GONE on Make a GIF

*smh* Oh, boy...

You know, this is not to bash anyone directly, but these days, the world is topsy-turvy with people who take bad advice from TikTokers who don't know about anything, but assert they do know. On top of this, these folks don't want to know until the bad advice bites them in the ass, then expect someone else to put up with taking the hit for their ignorance. When that doesn't work, they blame and sue them for a problem they themselves caused.

I saw it was coming to this in my taxi days. Picking up a college student in a bright yellow Crown Vic with black 10-inch "YELLOW CAB" lettering and a yellow roof light also with black "YELLOW" lettering, this moron asks "Are you with Yellow Cab?" I'd already had a hell of an evening, so I stare out over the hood, crane my neck to see the door lettering and roof light, and gave my best Bill Engvall impression, "NOPE! Stole the car and I'm joyriding. Here's your sign." They called the cops because they actually believed I was serious.

A similarly afflicted 'academically gifted' individual was literally poured into my passenger seat, drunk as a skunk. After wasting my time running me in circles for twenty minutes with "left here" or "right here", she refused to tell me her destination address and came on to me. When I politely declined and got police involved to see her safely home, she made a false accusation that could have ruined my life for something I would never do. Fortunately the cops figured out she was 19, drinking on her sister's ID, and when she blew a .21, they cuffed and stuffed her on about seven charges and asked me if I'd like to press charges for slander and defamation.

Obviously, this is why I have a 2-way dashcam with audio (Vantrue N4 if anyone's looking). But when this is relayed to backseat attorneys insisting I don't have the right to film them (and I do, as I own the vehicle they are riding in), they actually defend this idiot.

And people wonder why good people don't involve themselves these days. It's mostly because no good deed goes unpunished. Folks, think long and hard before you send your kids to college these days, because more often than not, they'll come out more confused than when they went in.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

34 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm not understanding this one at all. Liquids of any kind and electronics simply do not mix. Liquid = conductivity, conductivity = electronic component damage.

Well that's not true at all. There are many liquids that are not conductive. Mineral oil for example. 

4 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Not all liquids are automatically conductive and conductivity itself isn't a problem so long as it's completely dry before it's connected to power. The problem with spraying them with regular water is that it creates sediment and can also start oxidizing some of the parts, causing corrosion and permanent damage, as well as wash away thermal paste. Plus the potential direct physical damage from the pressurized spray. Distilled water could at least get rid of the sediment but again it runs the risk of dissolving the thermal paste... if you're going to try this be prepared to also reapply all the thermal paste. Distilled water is also not conductive but if it picks up sediment it can become conductive to you should still have it completely dry

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Throw it in a mineral oil PC and call it good?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

This is the definition of a non issue. 
Sauron said it best. you might get some surface level oxidation, but people thinking its going to short something... short what, the switch is open, there is no power.

11 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Little did you know that the vast majority of your electronics most likely went through a industrial dishwasher like device at the factory. They typically utilize deionized water that is reused repeatedly. It is monitored for its conductivity value (resistance) once it hits about 50k ohm its changed out. They utilize these washers after the reflow/soldering process to remove flux residue. They typically heat up the water to the activation point of the flux so it's easily washed away and then it goes through a drying cycle.

Now, what miners are doing is absolutely stupid, but there are safe and industry reconized ways of cleaning electronics with liquid. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of this. Still don't think I'll risk buying units that have had this wantonly done by Johnny or Jenny Jackass instead of the factory.  I believe there's simply no way to know if the water they used was distilled.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 hours ago, trag1c said:

Little did you know that the vast majority of your electronics most likely went through a industrial dishwasher like device at the factory. They typically utilize deionized water that is reused repeatedly. It is monitored for its conductivity value (resistance) once it hits about 50k ohm its changed out. They utilize these washers after the reflow/soldering process to remove flux residue. They typically heat up the water to the activation point of the flux so it's easily washed away and then it goes through a drying cycle.

Now, what miners are doing is absolutely stupid, but there are safe and industry reconized ways of cleaning electronics with liquid. 

These are miners, (Keyword here - Miners) they aren't part of the electronics industry to start with so any "Industry Standards" go out the door in favor of cheaper cost if possible.

The only factory involved here is that which produces more crypto for them and that's it.

For all we know, the pump supplying water to the washers is pulling water from their neighbor's septic tank..... And if it's more profitable to do such a thing they probrably would.

Your "New" card smells funny?
Not their problem.

They don't care as long as it gets paid for and it's out the door.
Any repercussions against them they don't worry about either, they just slide over to the next disposable seller's account and carry on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

18 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

The idea being that you'd immerse it in distilled water under the assumption that it would get rid of at least some of any dissolved mineral residue left behind by the ordinary water used to hose them down. Like @Sauron said, you would then let the card completely dry before you connected it to any power source (I guess "people would know to let the card dry before connecting it" isn't something that can be taken as read).

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

These are miners, (Keyword here - Miners) they aren't part of the electronics industry to start with so any "Industry Standards" go out the door in favor of cheaper cost if possible.

The only factory involved here is that which produces more crypto for them and that's it.

For all we know, the pump supplying water to the washers is pulling water from their neighbor's septic tank..... And if it's more profitable to do such a thing they probrably would.

Your "New" card smells funny?
Not their problem.

They don't care as long as it gets paid for and it's out the door.
Any repercussions against them they don't worry about either, they just slide over to the next disposable seller's account and carry on.

Lol, i don't know why you're trying to go off on a tangent and argue this. I never stated that they would follow any standards or sensible methods. The original person I quoted thought that you couldn't use liquids to clean electronics, I informed them otherwise. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

11 hours ago, trag1c said:

Lol, i don't know why you're trying to go off on a tangent and argue this. I never stated that they would follow any standards or sensible methods. The original person I quoted thought that you couldn't use liquids to clean electronics, I informed them otherwise. 

I was just making that clear.
Wasn't trying to imply you said or didn't say anything in particular.
Just making the point because you do have the one or two that will read and just won't get it - Yet I still hope maybe they will this time.

And if not, well..... I tried.

Speaking of liquids used for cleaning electronics, you should see what I've done in the dishwasher before with some of my boards. 😁

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, IPD said:

I will sooner run integrated graphics at 720p than I will buy a used GPU or pay for NVidia's 40 series highway robbery.

Why won't you use a used GPU? They're a great deal and a way to not pay for the highway robbery.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, starsmine said:

short what, the switch is open, there is no power.

I mean, I plug my surge protector into itself when I'm not using it...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Don’t see an issue. Seen worse things by average pc owners, especially on here. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz