If you watercooled a Xbox 1, could you hit 60fps?

nosirrah123

Is it possible to mod the cooling on the Xbox, somehow unlimit the fps, and achieve 60 fps?

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

It is possible; if you were to create a new bios, put it under LN2, then overclock it to ~6GHz

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was console sub-forum, I'll delete this as soon as I can get to my desktop.

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

if you watercooled an Xbox 1, you should have a water cooled rig with at least a crossfire/sli setup... O.o As far as i know, you can't OC the consoles or anything so it wouldn't matter. (not that OCing gives massive boosts anyway)

no, its still locked down to the 30 FPS cap. The hardware is also still going to be just as fast.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Why waste money and time on an xbox one when you could sell it and get a ps4, and still have money left over.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

watercool? like sticking it in the bathtub or toilet? I would say yes! You should be able to get double the fps outta it. Just make sure you video your method and put it on youtube, so that everyone that wasted money on those consoles know how to squeeze that extra proformance outta them.

Yes.

Strip the hardware out of the box. 

Build a small form factor PC inside it with custom water cooling.

60fps achieved.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Hmmm, so there's no way to make it not absolute garbage? Even with DIY magic? Damn.

Hmmm, so there's no way to make it not absolute garbage? Even with DIY magic? Damn.

Its the sacrifice console gamers make for the convenience and cheap price of a console.

Lets assume that we could overclock the xbone and that the games aren't artificially capped (neither is actually true, games are capped and you can't overclock an xbone). How much performance could we potentially ekk out?

Well typically a watercooling setup on a high end PC part is worth about 100-200Mhz extra at the top end of an overclock. Seeing as how the xbone is a 1.75 Ghz CPU we can probably assume it will overclock to at least 2.5Ghz, maybe even 3 Ghz with enough voltage and cooling. AMD Kabini will do 2Ghz but its thermally constrained so lets just say near 2x is possible on the CPU side.

The issue is the GPU. GPU performance isn't changed much by water cooling. They don't tend to respond to additional voltage very well, we don't normally see much more than about 20% additional performance from overclocking a GPU at all. Even with it watercooled we wouldn't anticipate the GPU side of the Jaguar core in the xbone to gain more than about that in performance. Its already running at 1Ghz and GCN cards don't often go above 1.2Ghz. This ignores the fact that we would become more memory bandwidth starved and various other aspects of the system aren't setup for going that fast.

So in essence assuming we could remove the constraints that stop water and voltage changes and overclocking from being effective I highly doubt it would be possible to near double the performance of the xbone. Even with extreme cooling such as liquid nitrogen or liquid helium I think it would be extremely difficult to get the xbone up to that performance level.

I don't think the Xbox One is limited by its heat output anyway, from what Ive seen and heard it runs cooler than the Playstation 4 overall, should do too considering the size of it and its ventalation.

Why waste money and time on an xbox one when you could sell it and get a ps4, and still have money left over.

stop arguing ps4 vs xbone. PC FTW!!!!

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

Yes.

Strip the hardware out of the box.

Build a small form factor PC inside it with custom water cooling.

60fps achieved.

Agreed hahaha this was funny

And probably not depends what game but the xbox one uses an apu and the don't usually hit 60fps on games like bf4 cod and titanfall

Is it possible to mod the cooling on the Xbox, somehow unlimit the fps, and achieve 60 fps?

You could pair the Xbox One GPU with a triple rad Haswell-E at 5ghz and it still wouldn't hit 60 fps. 

It is a AMD 7770 in TFLOPS with non GDDR5 for VRAM and Kinect takes 10 percent of the 1.31 TFLOPS on the SDK. New SDK will get it closer to 1.31 but 1.31 is not a 1080p GPU. Ps4 is 1.84 TFLOPS. It is like  a 7790. Can do 1080p with like medium/low PC settings. MS overclocked the GPU late in development to 850 from 800, and that is still much lower than a desktop's 1000 on that series. If you overclocked it to 1100 with crazy cooling, maybe it could push PS4 graphics (PS4 is at 800). You still have the problem of non GDDR5 as VRAM though so why bother. 

Cloud won't help. You could have all the CPU power in the world, but the bandwidth going to the GPU is trash and the GPU is mediocre.

The CPU is more than fine for that GPU on a low level API.  Xbox One basically has the same AMD mobile CPU as a PS4 clocked 100 mhz higher at 1.7 ghz. Add to that only 6 cores are available to game developers and that is all they need.  CPU would be the problem on like WoW but WoW isn't on a console. Neither are RTS games. 

Add to all this? The consoles lock FPS on titles often at 30, because their hardware can't run 60 and the swings in FPS would be horrible. There is no fix for console hardware. If it sucks, it sucks. The Xbox One hardware sucks. Doesn't mean it still can't have a good game. You can make a good game for old PC hardware. I would rather have a Dell off Craig's list and a 750TI over a Xbox One though...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.