Update RE: LTT Screwdrivers sold @ August 27 pop up shop

nicklmg

While performing extra stress testing on our first production batch, we discovered a small manufacturing process error.

Under certain stressful conditions it can cause the bit holders to shift on their support spine.

We have already implemented a fix and this only affects screwdrivers that were purchased at the pop up shop on August 27th.

Even though the problem is unlikely to occur under normal conditions, we will be replacing all of these affected drivers.

If you were at the pop up shop, please contact customer support (support@lttstore.com) to receive instructions on how to get a new driver.

Because we have already identified and remediated the problem, there is no need to return your old driver.

Simply scratch an X into each side of the handle. These units can still be used safely, but will not be covered by our limited lifetime warranty since they have already been replaced.

Damn, wish I'd gone and would now have 2 screw drivers, one at a more palatable price 😂

I'd probably put this in the LTT Merch section. It's gonna get buried awfully fast in General.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

34 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Damn, wish I'd gone and would now have 2 screw drivers, one at a more palatable price 😂

I'd probably put this in the LTT Merch section. It's gonna get buried awfully fast in General.

Mods can put it wherever they think is best! I wanted to ensure that it was readily available & discoverable so General seemed like a good idea, but y'all know this forum way better than I do 🙂

12 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Mods can put it wherever they think is best! I wanted to ensure that it was readily available & discoverable so General seemed like a good idea, but y'all know this forum way better than I do 🙂

If you ask them, they can probably pin the thread for you to show on all pages for you.

image.png.4bd75bccb9bbac683e2ce14601599b28.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

23 hours ago, nicklmg said:

While performing extra stress testing on our first production batch, we discovered a small manufacturing process error.

Under certain stressful conditions it can cause the bit holders to shift on their support spine.

We have already implemented a fix and this only affects screwdrivers that were purchased at the pop up shop on August 27th.

Even though the problem is unlikely to occur under normal conditions, we will be replacing all of these affected drivers.

If you were at the pop up shop, please contact customer support (support@lttstore.com) to receive instructions on how to get a new driver.

Because we have already identified and remediated the problem, there is no need to return your old driver.

Simply scratch an X into each side of the handle. These units can still be used safely, but will not be covered by our limited lifetime warranty since they have already been replaced.

Sort of unrelated, but there is a typo in the Philips bit set image, it's written with double L.

Also just an FYI, crosshead is the 'correct' term for those bits, as you surely know, Philips is a brand and plenty of people don't know these bits under the Philips, including in the country of origin.

EDIT: So apparently I though I knew the source of these screws, but never checked up on it. I always thought these were made by Philips, but they are not. I just assumed that. Guess I learned something today.

That said, this still means there is a typo on the page, because it lists Philips when choosing the bits.

7 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Sort of unrelated, but there is a typo in the Philips bit set image, it's written with double L.

Also just an FYI, crosshead is the 'correct' term for those bits, as you surely know, Philips is a brand and plenty of people don't know these bits under the Philips, including in the country of origin.

I have never in 40 years heard them referred to anything but Philips

39 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I have never in 40 years heard them referred to anything but Philips

That's fine, but LTT caters the world, not just certain countries. Henry F. Phillips - Wikipedia

Also in general it's good to stop (exclusively) using brand names, but just use the generic names for them, but that's a whole different discussion.

Anyway from Amazon.com, so it's not just non NA countries.

crosshead.thumb.jpg.3aaea503cc3959a86df3944e2d11b307.jpg

Come on now, LTT caters to USA and china 😛

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

That's fine, but LTT caters the world, not just certain countries. Henry F. Phillips - Wikipedia

Also in general it's good to stop (exclusively) using brand names, but just use the generic names for them, but that's a whole different discussion.

Anyway from Amazon.com, so it's not just non NA countries.

crosshead.thumb.jpg.3aaea503cc3959a86df3944e2d11b307.jpg

Everyone of those says phillips as well, and every single one lists Phillips first. Im not saying youre wrong as much as I am saying you are splitting hairs where it shouldnt matter

56 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Everyone of those says phillips as well, and every single one lists Phillips first. Im not saying youre wrong as much as I am saying you are splitting hairs where it shouldnt matter

That's however in NA. Absolutely no one calls it Phillips over here. 

You are saying I'm splitting hairs, but your argument was that no one calls it a crosshead and you've never heard of it, I'm telling you the exact opposite. So instead of claiming it's splitting hairs, just accept that it's called different things in different places, and since they focus on people all over the world, they might as well list the product as such.

Like I said, I didn't say they should remove the name, but to add a name.

Tbf, I don't think I've seen them described as either Philips or Crosshead, I've always just see them described as PH1, PH2 etc.

I say that, but I rarely come across Philips screws anyway, most screws here are Pozi with the main exception being drywall screws.

I have a bag of super cheap PH2 bits (99p for 10) because I use them so infrequently that I usually lose them before I wear them out!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

18 hours ago, Neroon said:

EDIT: So apparently I though I knew the source of these screws, but never checked up on it. I always thought these were made by Philips, but they are not. I just assumed that. Guess I learned something today.

That said, this still means there is a typo on the page, because it lists Philips when choosing the bits.

Do the bits in your country get stamped with something other than "PH#"? 

1 hour ago, Hypnotoad said:

Do the bits in your country get stamped with something other than "PH#"? 

Not as far as I know, but I could easily take a bet that 99% doesn't know where it stands for, except it being for crossheads. The majority also doesn't know the difference between PH and PZ. Though that is likely the result of them all being called crossheads.

3 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Not as far as I know, but I could easily take a bet that 99% doesn't know where it stands for, except it being for crossheads. The majority also doesn't know the difference between PH and PZ. Though that is likely the result of them all being called crossheads.

Interestingly, I just went up to a 30 year mechanic. Asked for a cross head bit to take something off my computer stand. Didn't know what I meant, knew what Philips was though. In mechanic/heavy equipment mechanic industries I have yet to hear crosshead. Cross head is too easy to confused with all the other cross screws. Never heard the sparkies say cross head before, but they have come in and asked if my Leatherman had a Philips when they don't want to go back to their shop for their tools.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Interestingly, I just went up to a 30 year mechanic. Asked for a cross head bit to take something off my computer stand. Didn't know what I meant, knew what Philips was though. In mechanic/heavy equipment mechanic industries I have yet to hear crosshead. Cross head is too easy to confused with all the other cross screws. Never heard the sparkies say cross head before, but they have come in and asked if my Leatherman had a Philips when they don't want to go back to their shop for their tools.

Not sure what your argument is here? I know that there are countries, including the US, where Phillips is used exclusively. I work quite a bit with wood and all, and have seen my fair share of videos on woodworking and tools in general to know this, but that doesn't take away that this doesn't apply everywhere.

Here every foldable workbench is a workmate, which is a brand name of Black and Decker.

Adjustable wrenches are all called Bahco.

Rotary tools are all called Dremel.

Etc

Just like some places say allen wrench, when others call it hex keys, or inbus.

We see this is all over, how many people call all MP3 players, smartphones and tablets, iPod, iPhone and iPads.

Where does LTT announce these "pop up" events in advance? there seems to have been a lot of people there, where did they all get advanced notice from?

3 minutes ago, Philz said:

Where does LTT announce these "pop up" events in advance? there seems to have been a lot of people there, where did they all get advanced notice from?

They're announced on WAN Show soon before they happen.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 1 month later...

I just received my replacement driver from the UPS truck today, somewhere between the warehouser (MIBC) and my home the shipping envelope managed to get opened right up, contents were there but the package was opened. I'm not blaming LMG at all but making mention of how it arrived at my home.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Replacement arrived today! thank you LTT.

hi LTT, I've been waiting for a response to my support ticket on this issue but its october 14th and there's been little to no updates. I've tried responding to the support ticket, i have submitted a second ticket referring to the first (don't like to do that but after waiting 1 month ish for a response what else do i do?) I'm a patient person but i'd like an update on the timeframe for the replacement that you have offered. Hoping this forum post will help.

if anyone has some more suggestions on ways to get an update i am all ears. 

Edited by OneGuy83
update on situation.

• 2 months later...

Is this really for the popup shop drivers only? I received mine yesterday and i can easily turn bit holders inside the orange section independently, which actually makes the ninja start thing absolutely redundant (because i can just offset the bit wheels so they do not align). Also the end cap is quite rickety and makes popping sounds when i move it.

Also i just discovered that the ninja start thing is stuck anyway, so cant use it at all...

Is this not the issue? Or is this a separate thing altogether? Im hesitating to write to support, because maybe it should be like that?

But I would be a little disappointed if such a crackly sound is expected on such a high end product.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:18 AM, Kereplaz said:

Is this really for the popup shop drivers only? I received mine yesterday and i can easily turn bit holders inside the orange section independently, which actually makes the ninja start thing absolutely redundant (because i can just offset the bit wheels so they do not align). Also the end cap is quite rickety and makes popping sounds when i move it.

Also i just discovered that the ninja start thing is stuck anyway, so cant use it at all...

Is this not the issue? Or is this a separate thing altogether? Im hesitating to write to support, because maybe it should be like that?

But I would be a little disappointed if such a crackly sound is expected on such a high end product.

Nope what you are describing is definitely not correct. You should definitely write support.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, Kereplaz said:

I do not have the freely rotating bit holder mine do move just not easily. But if they said that the cap wobble inst normal then there might be an issue because all of mine so far have it some more then others a couple sounds like your crushing sand.

• 2 months later...

Does this include the bit holders not ACTUALLY holding the bits?  Any time I close the bit holder I can hear (and then verify) that bits are loose inside.  Not great.

Just now, dj69 said:

Does this include the bit holders not ACTUALLY holding the bits?  Any time I close the bit holder I can hear (and then verify) that bits are loose inside.  Not great.

Oh wait, it turns???  Where's the documentation???