Why isn't Linus talking about the z fold 4?

mwenn01

I have scoured the internet far and wide. All major tech reviewers are unboxing the z-fold for! Meanwhile Linus hasn't even mentioned it on the WAN show! Did Samsung forget about him?

Afterthought.

Like doesn't he daily drive the 3? For often as he holds that thing up on Screen you would think Samsung was sponsoring him!

i vaguely recall that canada gets their samples later because of some bureaucracy at samsung.. but i may just be mixing things up.

past that.. maybe they have one already, and linus just has someone else daily driving it for a review. they have a douzen writers that could go trough the hell of setting up a foldable, without linus having to waste time on that.

also, a note on the "sponsoring" thing:

linus is NOT praising that thing at all, in fact, most of the times he mentions it on the wan show is a rant. might not be samsung's fault, but it's still not good news for the phone's sales.

32 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i vaguely recall that canada gets their samples later because of some bureaucracy at samsung.. but i may just be mixing things up.

past that.. maybe they have one already, and linus just has someone else daily driving it for a review. they have a douzen writers that could go trough the hell of setting up a foldable, without linus having to waste time on that.

linus is NOT praising that thing at all, in fact, most of the times he mentions it on the wan show is a rant. might not be samsung's fault, but it's still not good news for the phone's sales.

He talks a fair amount of crap about insole and they sponsor I think everything?

Doesn't he usually like to daily something for a week or two before giving his opinion?
Either way, there are far better sources for information about phones than LTT. I've seen them get facts just flat out wrong in their videos. Not really their wheelhouse.

8 minutes ago, mwenn01 said:

He talks a fair amount of crap about insole and they sponsor I think everything?

Insole?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

44 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Actually he is positive about the device, it doesn't mean he ain't critical about it. I have a Fold 3 myself, and I absolutely heard his criticism and experience some of them myself, a lot of his complaints are about Google though, with apps not working properly on foldables, his biggest gripes are also with Google apps like Youtube.

Obviously improvements can be made, but he obviously likes it. I think the only thing he really has an issue with, is that his battery life isn't lasting as long as he wants. While there are phones that do better, I think a lot of the 'issue' is because he must use it like crazy much, and all of that can be fixed by just charging it while sitting somewhere or in the car.
Personally I almost never encounter battery issues, and I use it loads.

As for the Fold 4, maybe they will be releasing a full review of it, instead of doing unboxings?

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Doesn't he usually like to daily something for a week or two before giving his opinion?
Either way, there are far better sources for information about phones than LTT. I've seen them get facts just flat out wrong in their videos. Not really their wheelhouse.

Insole?

Intel**

5 hours ago, Neroon said:

Actually he is positive about the device, it doesn't mean he ain't critical about it. I have a Fold 3 myself, and I absolutely heard his criticism and experience some of them myself, a lot of his complaints are about Google though, with apps not working properly on foldables, his biggest gripes are also with Google apps like Youtube.

Obviously improvements can be made, but he obviously likes it. I think the only thing he really has an issue with, is that his battery life isn't lasting as long as he wants. While there are phones that do better, I think a lot of the 'issue' is because he must use it like crazy much, and all of that can be fixed by just charging it while sitting somewhere or in the car.
Personally I almost never encounter battery issues, and I use it loads.

As for the Fold 4, maybe they will be releasing a full review of it, instead of doing unboxings?

He does like to do a full review but he hasn't mentioned the presale, specs, anything about it at all. With the 2 and the 3 he did an unboxing then later did a full review.

Samsung said if I don't go to their little event I can't get it on time.

I told them to put one in the mail or I guess I won't have it then.

They didn't. 

Can't review something I don't have, and life is too short to spend 2 travel days away from my family so I can be held hostage in briefings that could easily take place online. 

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Can't review something I don't have, and life is too short to spend 2 travel days away from my family so I can be held hostage in briefings that could easily take place online. 

What do you mean you don't want to sit through multiple hours of carefully crafted marketing powerpoint presentations telling you that this iterative improvement release is somehow the most amazing thing they have ever done?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

They didn't. 

My company flew me across the US for a specific on site training course involving a lot of other people in my position across North America. We all show up, 2 day hotel stay, everyone goes to the class held in the giant meeting room thing of this hotel, and it’s a one hour long PowerPoint presentation and a short quiz.

Someone had to fill in for my position at work for a few days, I spent 12 hours total traveling for this including driving and the flight, and everything accomplished could’ve been done via a video stream or even just an email with the PowerPoint presentation to read through.

So many people there didn’t even seem to notice exactly what happened, I just sat there dumbstruck at the end at exactly how much time, money, resources, were all wasted for this.

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

They didn't. 

Are you kidding me... that's pretty insane.

Also from what I read, the phone is hardly different from the Fold 3, so what would they even need to tell you about it. Was it just for the Fold/Flip, or did they at least have more products you could get early?

Btw this would be interesting for the WAN to talk about the crap these companies put you through to get certain stuff, like early review samples.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

is somehow the most amazing thing they have ever done?

hey! no spoilers please.

but I see, they removed some parts of the metal backing for the screen for this version and a new hinge, which they want to say is "revolutionary", and to say the screen is more protected in some ways now with some fiber plastic solution. lol?

It honestly really feels like they are developing a new Fold, it wasn't ready yet, so they put some slighlty newer hardware in it, and called it the Fold 4.

Because yes I do believe they are working on a new design. Foldables with the softer bend for the screen, gives a much softer crease, and should allow a flatter fold as well (currently there is a decent gap between on the bend side).

Oh well this is fine to me, I'm not feeling any urge at all to upgrade. They had to do a massove upgrade to even tempt me.

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

"If I can't get 3 20min videos out of that event, not worth my time."

There, fixed that for you. Or have you forgot about your little trip to Intel for 48h already?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

27 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There, fixed that for you. Or have you forgot about your little trip to Intel for 48h already?

That's a whole different though. One offers interesting content that also can't be made otherwise, while the other is a minor upgrade to a phone that they can just review 1-2 weeks later.

55 minutes ago, Neroon said:

That's a whole different though. One offers interesting content that also can't be made otherwise, while the other is a minor upgrade to a phone that they can just review 1-2 weeks later.

It really isn't when the reason is "too short to spend 2 travel days". Which is why I made the post. You might notice that I also gave "thumbs up" reaction. Which is my way of agreeing to not sucking up to manufacturers on making something as minor as product launch big thing and something reviewers should be begging on their knees to be part of.

Not gonna derail this, but Intel fab tour could have been added in as part of family vacation or workcation they have done to other fab tours in past (Sennheiser and one of the motherboard manufacturers, possibly Gigabyte). Instead it was 48h in the other side of the world = 2 travel days, 1 tour day and 1 day in between. IIRC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

It really isn't when the reason is "too short to spend 2 travel days". Which is why I made the post. You might notice that I also gave "thumbs up" reaction. Which is my way of agreeing to not sucking up to manufacturers on making something as minor as product launch big thing and something reviewers should be begging on their knees to be part of.

Not gonna derail this, but Intel fab tour could have been added in as part of family vacation or workcation they have done to other fab tours in past (Sennheiser and one of the motherboard manufacturers, possibly Gigabyte). Instead it was 48h in the other side of the world = 2 travel days, 1 tour day and 1 day in between. IIRC.

Sennheiser trip was 100% work and very intense. We did Cherry at the same time to make it worth the travel to Germany. 

As for gigabyte I don't think I've ever toured one of their facilities. Maybe you're thinking of someone else? 

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Sennheiser trip was 100% work and very intense. We did Cherry at the same time to make it worth the travel to Germany. 

As for gigabyte I don't think I've ever toured one of their facilities. Maybe you're thinking of someone else? 

I mixed it with Omron (edit: f to my memory), and this was years ago. You went to see Yvonne's family in Indonese I think. But just making a note how that particular reasoning is not very air-tight. Not sucking up to Samsung is valid reason.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The Intel tour was cool as hell.  I'm a Samsung fanboy but even I couldn't sit through some stupid sale pitch seminar.

I don’t think “once in a lifetime opportunity to tour a semiconductor factory” is really of the same caliber as “press event for the launch of Phone N+1”… 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You can't compare a phone review to a factory/fab tour. Samsung can ship a phone.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Missing my point, but whatever...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Missing my point, but whatever...

All good man. You are correct that Omron worked cuz I was already on that side of the pond visiting family 🙂

On 8/14/2022 at 7:37 AM, LinusTech said:

They didn't. 

What happened to you Trust me bro men, I expect more from you bro. How now will I know that Folds still sucks at theirs price 🙂 I need to watch iJustin for that critical information -_- I am sad now.

Edited by bolko7