PSU Tier List Rev. 8.6.0

PSU Daniel
2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Are you as qualified/knowledgeable as someone like @jonnyGURU ? To me it just sounds like you are trying to make a 'different' list just for the sake of it. 

We have some one with knowledge in the team, and it's Charles, he has spoken with Aris and Jonny sometimes.

Nope, it's not just got the sake of it, i said it, Tier B in cult list with Active Clamp even though it's a derivative of Double Forward, topology that it's not good with high power draw GPUs and/or CPUs 

9 hours ago, PSU Daniel said:

If there's some error or recommendation, please say it 

it

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

41 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So you and your imaginary friends for all we know? 😉 

Are you associated with any site or publication?

You have to understand that the cultists PSU tier list is a collaborative effort among community members people here know, which has been going on for a long while. So when you show up here and present a "competing" list you claim is better as your very first post on the forum, with no background on your knowledge or credibility, people are going to be skeptical. 

Edit: Using an almost-identical avatar to a longtime forum member who actually does have unimpeachable bona fides in this area also looks rather weird. 

Yeah it seems that the cultist  has a lot of knowledge and background adding psu’s with active clamp to tier B and also adding psu’s that have issues with high transite power to tier A

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

That doesn't make it a Tier C. 

Go find a psu with a perfect review. You won't find one.

In our methodology, yes, every single aspect is important, we didn't add leakege current for example, because of time.

Do you have any suggestions? 

We want to create a good tier list, I said it, in the cult list, the tier B is not planned for high power draw GPUs and/or CPUs, here that's not a problem, every single PSU from tier B is good for GPUs with more than 300W spikes.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

So you and your imaginary friends for all we know? 😉 

Are you associated with any site or publication?

You have to understand that the cultists PSU tier list is a collaborative effort among community members people here know, which has been going on for a long while. So when you show up here and present a "competing" list you claim is better as your very first post on the forum, with no background on your knowledge or credibility, people are going to be skeptical. 

Edit: Using an almost-identical avatar to a longtime forum member who actually does have unimpeachable bona fides in this area also looks rather weird. 

Well, Charles contribute with the cult List, he gave information about the internal parts of the Aerocool Cylon and EVGA BA.

So if that for you is an imaginary fried well....

Yeah, we are searching suggestions, so if you have some suggestion about the Methodology we are going to be glad.

And yes, I know that the profile doesn't have any trajectory, but with the time that's going to change, we know that it's weird a new profile making a Tier List.

Since your tiers seem to be based on price, what happens if a power supply that should be Tier C comes in at your arbitrary $60-$90 USD price point for Tier B? Is it ignored? Is it automatically bumped up a tier because it fits in that price bracket? Same for a unit with Tier S hardware and test results, but comes in closer to the $100 price point. Is it now tier A because it's not expensive enough for tier S?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Tiering need a bit more improvement. You have a good psu at tier E, because of 5VSB effiency? since when that has really mattered?

I would create something like the "speculative tier" or something to those units which have problems with Ampere etc, to make people first look at the psus that do not have these issues.

I could see potential in this, but needs improvement, and more units ofc. You know keeping it simple is not the best idea, since you have ctrl + f.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Since your tiers seem to be based on price, what happens if a power supply that should be Tier C comes in at your arbitrary $60-$90 USD price point for Tier B? Is it ignored? Is it automatically bumped up a tier because it fits in that price bracket? Same for a unit with Tier S hardware and test results, but comes in closer to the $100 price point. Is it now tier A because it's not expensive enough for tier S?

Nop, that's the suggested price, if it's more expensive you shouldn't buy it and better look to the next tier or search other options.

The price is not part of the methodology 

12 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Tiering need a bit more improvement. You have a good psu at tier E, because of 5VSB effiency? since when that has really mattered?

I would create something like the "speculative tier" or something to those units which have problems with Ampere etc, to make people first look at the psus that do not have these issues.

I could see potential in this, but needs improvement, and more units ofc. You know keeping it simple is not the best idea, since you have ctrl + f.

Thank you for the suggestions, we are going to improve the Tier.

Maybe we can decrease the 5VSB efficiency requirements? 

About the "speculative tier" we were thinking on it because there are a lot of units not listed here, in the next update we are going to introduce that, thanks for the recommendation.

And, it's not just Ctrl + f, is the Revision 8.6.0, if this tier is kinda "bad" in some points, imagine the first version, anyway, we are going to improve the Tier, thanks for the suggestions.

1 minute ago, PSU Daniel said:

Maybe we can decrease the 5VSB efficiency requirements? 

yeah, seems somehwta pointless. but mayby for some users that have dozen USBs connected it could make a difference. but how many of us have that many? most o us have like 4-6.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

yeah, seems somehwta pointless. but mayby for some users that have dozen USBs connected it could make a difference. but how many of us have that many? most o us have like 4-6.

Ok, we are going to decrease the requirements, thank you for your time.

13 minutes ago, PSU Daniel said:

Nop, that's the suggested price, if it's more expensive you shouldn't buy it and better look to the next tier or search other options.

The price is not part of the methodology 

That's not noted anywhere on the list. It comes across as a hard requirement. 

Are you going to adjust the list for EoL power supplies? Say a power supply starts at $100, but is EoL and now sells for $600+ (AX) and no longer fits what you think is a suggested price. How does that get adjusted and how often?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

So where were versions 8.5.0 and earlier published?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

That's not noted anywhere on the list. It comes across as a hard requirement. 

Are you going to adjust the list for EoL power supplies? Say a power supply starts at $100, but is EoL and now sells for $600+ (AX) and no longer fits what you think is a suggested price. How does that get adjusted and how often?

Maybe we can just erase that if it's something confusing, or adjust it every time that the list get updated (we are thinking in 3/4 months per update) 

28 minutes ago, BlaDoS said:

I do love how he copies Jon's profile picture to emulate a sense of "authority" on the subject.

What?

Jonny uses a CX-F for profile picture?

I didn't know it, my profile is a bit new LMAO 

13 hours ago, PSU Daniel said:

Silverstone- // SFX Gold //

image.thumb.png.b3de989934b746f7f3a5129dd236c004.png

8 minutes ago, PSU Daniel said:

Maybe we can just erase that if it's something confusing, or adjust it every time that the list get updated (we are thinking in 3/4 months per update) 

I looked up 1 single unit and it's over the price limit for that tier. You already have adjusting to do.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

27 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So where were versions 8.5.0 and earlier published?

Facebook pages and we have a Google docs

Just now, PSU Daniel said:

Facebook pages 

Link?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

image.thumb.png.b3de989934b746f7f3a5129dd236c004.png

I looked up 1 single unit and it's over the price limit for that tier. You already have adjusting to do.

Ok, we are going to check that 

Let's revive this account for a moment again... There's a lot wrong here...

Your voltage regulation numbers aren't deviations from zero, so 3.3v tier E and all of tier F could easily be well out of spec in the right scenarios 

Speaking of... the numbers also seem oddly specific, almost like you're trying to squeeze in or squeeze out certain units

I wouldn't even have specified beyond 18 awg, anything below that is more often than not cheap crap, because they're trying to save a few cents on cables

all the way down, you're somehow still expecting a crap unit to meet ATX spec ripple... and "all situations" would also imply overload beyond 110%, something many units have shown to be unable to handle continued

even most online UPS units won't need 17 MS to react to a power outage... why make holdup time that tight of a requirement?

budget in general is a really weird thing to even consider into the list

Because of all of these requirements and random footnotes that aren't even mentioned in the methodology, as well as having similar, if not the same platform and parts all over the place because of these weird requirements and minor differences in samples... I'm already not a fan

your only activity here is this, with the pfp of Jon Gerow, your team I don't see in here at all

outside of Jon and Aris... you've also talked to me about some units mentioned here, as well as our choice to include ACRF into tier B on Discord

I'm obviously biased towards my own work here... but I can't consider this worthy of much as is... 

ps. I guess my daily SX1000 is low-end now

On 8/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Let's revive this account for a moment again... There's a lot wrong here...

Your voltage regulation numbers aren't deviations from zero, so 3.3v tier E and all of tier F could easily be well out of spec in the right scenarios 

Speaking of... the numbers also seem oddly specific, almost like you're trying to squeeze in or squeeze out certain units

I wouldn't even have specified beyond 18 awg, anything below that is more often than not cheap crap, because they're trying to save a few cents on cables

all the way down, you're somehow still expecting a crap unit to meet ATX spec ripple... and "all situations" would also imply overload beyond 110%, something many units have shown to be unable to handle continued

even most online UPS units won't need 17 MS to react to a power outage... why make holdup time that tight of a requirement?

budget in general is a really weird thing to even consider into the list

Because of all of these requirements and random footnotes that aren't even mentioned in the methodology, as well as having similar, if not the same platform and parts all over the place because of these weird requirements and minor differences in samples... I'm already not a fan

your only activity here is this, with the pfp of Jon Gerow, your team I don't see in here at all

outside of Jon and Aris... you've also talked to me about some units mentioned here, as well as our choice to include ACRF into tier B on Discord

I'm obviously biased towards my own work here... but I can't consider this worthy of much as is... 

ps. I guess my daily SX1000 is low-end now

I got question for you. Why cooler master mwe bronze v2 in tier B "https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/"? According from users mwe bronze v2 got coil wine issues, strange sounds, even pc is power off, massive voltage drops on 12 and 3.3 rail, and many v2 models came with all capxcon caps, even bulk cap is capxcon. But xpg pylon new models got japan main cap and other elite caps with 5 years warranty and in this tier list xpg pylon is in tier C. Also i found strange, why xpg pylon 550w have 2 cables for 5-sata/2-molex/1-fdd and mwe bronze v2 550w have 3 cables for 6-sata/4-molex?

6 hours ago, fgr1234 said:

According from users mwe bronze v2 got coil wine issues, strange sounds, even pc is power off

Pretty much any PSU can have coil whine.  That's not an indication of lack of quality or poor design.

massive voltage drops on 12 and 3.3 rail

According toooooooo.......  ?

many v2 models came with all capxcon caps, even bulk cap is capxcon. 

So?  Capacitor plague was something that happened over a decade ago.

But xpg pylon new models got japan main cap and other elite caps

So?

5 years warranty

So does the MWE V2.

xpg pylon is in tier C.

It's double forward while the MWE is LLC.  That's why.

If you read the "tier requirements", a PSU has to at least have LLC to be considered Tier A.  It has to have at least ACRF or ZVS for tier B.  By default, the XPG being double forward puts it in tier C.

Also i found strange, why xpg pylon 550w have 2 cables for 5-sata/2-molex/1-fdd and mwe bronze v2 550w have 3 cables for 6-sata/4-molex?

What does this have to do with anything?