With Jaystwocents saying BUY NOW and everyone else saying WAIT til 4x series. I'm super confused.

Edgar R. Zakarian

Can you guys make some arguments on why people should buy now or on why people should wait? 
Prices for new GPU's namely RTX 3080 has just come down til 6000 DKK (about 822USD) and I'm not sure if it's a "decent/good" price, compared to other launches or still inflated.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I wonder too, here's a discussion I had yesterday with Greg Salazar (https://www.youtube.com/c/GregSalazar), who opposes Jay, hope it shed some lights on both views 🙂

image.png.8ce720cbcc6104672a7b42616cd730a0.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Can you guys make some arguments on why people should buy now or on why people should wait? 
Prices for new GPU's namely RTX 3080 has just come down til 6000 DKK (about 822USD) and I'm not sure if it's a "decent/good" price, compared to other launches or still inflated.

People tend to want the latest thing because everyone wants the latest and greatest, i thought like that for a while but now GPUs are so powerfull that I stopped shopping like that, now I just buy what can run my demands.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

also, current prices won't come down much more than is so up to you

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

I don't fully agree with Jay's take, but I definitely more side with him in this argument. 

40 series is looking like it's gonna be delayed, so you'll be buying a GPU in ~6 months at the earliest (assuming it stays in stock for long enough to buy), Nvidia is likely gonna increase prices (I wouldn't be shocked if it was $1800 for the 4090 and $1000 for the 4080 because people will pay those prices), and they're only gonna release the top end, super expensive cards first. I'd rather have a cheaper, still very capable card now in the 3080 then be waiting forever to get a new card that will cost an arm and a leg. Wi

30 series cards still aren't a particularly good value or anything, but when the alternative is used 3080 (I would not trust a used G6X-based card unless you know the guy personally) or waiting 3-6 months or longer, and you want that level of gaming experience, then yeah get a new card now. You're always gonna be waiting for that next new thing to come out, and there is the fact that you get to use a card for ~3-6 months, that has value in and of itself. Will the prices of 30 series cards drop a bit more? Likely, but I'm wouldn't expect any more than another $50-100 at most (they might even be bottomed out at this point), and realistically when you're already spending $800 on a GPU, what's an extra $50 to be able to use it 2-4 weeks longer? 

Other argument I see against buying GPUs right now and waiting is the low end cards like the 3060 (Ti) are ridiculously overpriced, and I'd have to agree to that. A 3060 Ti is worth $400, no more. However, the greatest counterargument are AMD GPUs, cards like the RX 6600 are the same rough performance of the 3060 but cost actually reasonable prices ($250 last I checked, what the 3060 should've cost). Plus if you have to buy a Nvidia GPU for whatever reason, it's not like 40 series will make the 30 series drop in price that quickly, the 4060 likely won't launch till next spring at the earliest and until then, used cards will stay at their high prices. 

If you've already got a GPU that's doing just fine for you and you're thinking about maybe upgrading (say you're running a 2070 Super or something like that), then yeah, wait for the next gen cards to come out. For everyone else, anything longer than about a month from the announcement windows IMO isn't really worth waiting for. 

16 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I wonder too, here's a discussion I had yesterday with Greg Salazar (https://www.youtube.com/c/GregSalazar), who opposes Jay, hope it shed some lights on both views 🙂

image.png.8ce720cbcc6104672a7b42616cd730a0.png

If you want/ need any new hardware now and you can afford it, and it is available, buy it.

If you think the next gen will provide a performance boost you need now that current gen cannot provide, wait.

Trying to predict markets is going to give you a headache, fear of spending now then regretting it later is pointless.

Always waiting for the next best thing means you will miss out on using available tech that might be perfectly suited to your need.

And if you think that scalping is a thing of the past, well, good luck. 🙂

Flat out local used markets are in shambles I keep putting lowball offers to obvious miners and they kee getting accepted rn. So if ya want a 3090 for less than 700 rn go for it its surprisingly easy 😛

Please remember that Jay is an influencer. His job is to make people buy things.

If there is one thing that has always been true regarding computer hardware it's this.

You ALWAYS get more for your money if you wait long enough. It is just a question of how long you can wait. If you feel like you can wait, then do it. 

I agree with Jay for slightly different reasons.

I consider the GPUs that have price cuts now are luxury items and I don't usually buy luxury goods in a bad economy.  

To me it does not matter how much better the 40 series is if I don't have the money to buy them.

I have the money now so I bought now.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Jay is bored with PC enthusiast content creation and wants new cards to come out as fodder for videos, and he's afraid if people don't buy enough of the current glut of 30 series cards Nvidia will delay 40 series. 

He's also forgotten what it's like to have to actually think about the cost of anything you want to buy, and is generally an ass.

Pay him no mind. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

You need it now?✅

You have the budget for it?✅

Buy now and don't look back. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I have never, and will never own a flagship card anywhere close to release. 

I bought a Red Devil 6800 XT because they're currently on Amazon for 670 bucks, and that's only $20 more than the MSRP of a reference 6800 XT. 

Considering I only buy AMD cards and all it takes is another crypto spike to inflate the price and severely decrease availability of AMD cards, I bit the bullet to retire my aging Vega 56. 

Not to mention, bots/scalpers are inevitably going to be snatching up the next gen cards when they launch anyway, and most people looking to buy them won't realistically be able to get one until next year anyway, likely at inflated prices. 

I say, if there's something you've had your eye on and it's now at a reasonably (for you) price... Buy it and don't think twice about it. 

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Bots/Scalpers have a market of maybe 1-2 months before they have no buyers.  They only have that because its a new release.  The demand just isn't there.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

j2cens did an update video and why he thinks you should buy now. the low down is some in side sources say 40xx is a year away that's why. but if you can wate a year then do it i guess. if not buy now.

not only that the shipping its bottle necked right now witch would give scalpers the uper hand only if they shipped a hell of alot and store them before release witch i guess could happen? 

other problem is prices of everything is like 30% higher and wages are the same... so fewer moeny left over and it still going up and food prices i have never seen them drop...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

There are valid points for both sides if you need a new card now get it if you dont take the chance and gamble but its not certain that prices will rise or fall since inflation and avaiblility.

If you need a new card now, and that there is a card available now which is adequate for your needs at a price you can afford, get it. 

What I have a problem with (and LTT has been guilty of this sometimes in the past as well) is "influencers" who have cozy relationships with hardware manufacturers promoting a "Buy, buy, buy now! Do it you'll regret it, you stupid moron!" attitude of irrational, fear-driven consumerism.

(Wringing hands) "Well the parts I have now are fine, but what if when I do need new ones I can't get them?"  

That's shitty. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

j2cens did an update video and why he thinks you should buy now. the low down is some in side sources say 40xx is a year away that's why. but if you can wate a year then do it i guess. if not buy now.

not only that the shipping its bottle necked right now witch would give scalpers the uper hand only if they shipped a hell of alot and store them before release witch i guess could happen? 

other problem is prices of everything is like 30% higher and wages are the same... so fewer moeny left over and it still going up and food prices i have never seen them drop...

I think buying now isn't a bad decision if new cards are delayed up to a year, no point in waiting if you really want an upgrade now.

And the pricing might be an issue with RTX 4000 series, those could be 30% more expensive because of inflation, also there are rumors of the 4000 series being more power hungry than 3000 series, and needing a new PSU.

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

If you need a new card now, and that there is a card available now which is adequate for your needs at a price you can afford, get it. 

What I have a problem with (and LTT has been guilty of this sometimes in the past as well) is "influencers" who have cozy relationships with hardware manufacturers promoting a "Buy, buy, buy now! Do it you'll regret it, you stupid moron!" attitude of irrational, fear-driven consumerism.

(Wringing hands) "Well the parts I have now are fine, but what if when I do need new ones I can't get them?"  

That's shitty. 

The only reason I would wait is because IMO the RTX30 series cards are still overpriced, unless you can afford a 3080 12GB or a 3090, the RTX 3070 is too expensive for an 8GB card, and most other lower end cards haven't gotten significant price cuts. The rumors of the RTX 40 series being delayed sounds like something Nvidia would do because of the mining crash, so they couldn't sell as many new cards while people are still buying used GPU's.

LTT only being guilty of it sometimes? A good amount of their videos are ads pushing for expensive products, and their GPU videos are biased towards Nvidia.

However tech influencers which push FOMO content are likely pushed to do so from hardware manufacturers, its more sales for hardware manufacturers and more free products for the influencer, so IMO you should be mad at the hardware companies and much less at the person making videos.

Buy now be happy, or don't.. Things are a lot better now than they were last summer when I bought mine lol..

I will probably buy a 3060 Ti for my other rig and ditch the 980 that is in it.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I think for those willing to spend more, wait for 40 series... for those more on a budget buy the 30 series.  

Everything is going up in prices and with no prices set by Nvidia for 40 series they get to set with the knowledge of 2 years seeing that we all willingly paid well above MSRP proving that we will buy it regardless of the cost.  We showed our cards and Nvidia is about to profit because of it.  Im happy with my 3080 and likely will be for the next 2 generations hopeflly in that time supply chain constraints, inflation and fuel prices settle down.

27 minutes ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

We showed our cards and Nvidia is about to profit because of it.

Wouldn't be at all surprising. 

For months and months, every time people screamed and moaned about scalpers on here... "there ought to be a law," etc... some of us told them: the only way to stop scalping is to not buy from scalpers.

But far worse than enabling the scalpers was the message it sent to the manufacturers. Why would Nvidia (and AMD) leave all the extra money on the table for scalpers to make? If they have ironclad evidence people will buy GPU's at those prices, why not just sell them for those prices to begin with? 

And some people here (and some reviewers/"influencers") will grin and bear it. "Well, you have to compare it to the pricing of other new cards available. What are ya gonna do, just not buy a new card?"

The wild card here (and possibly the saving grace in a weird way) is the inflation and general economic turbulence leaving people with less disposable income. It might scare the hardware manufacturers off from pushing their hand. 

37 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Wouldn't be at all surprising. 

For months and months, every time people screamed and moaned about scalpers on here... "there ought to be a law," etc... some of us told them: the only way to stop scalping is to not buy from scalpers.

But far worse than enabling the scalpers was the message it sent to the manufacturers. Why would Nvidia (and AMD) leave all the extra money on the table for scalpers to make? If they have ironclad evidence people will buy GPU's at those prices, why not just sell them for those prices to begin with? 

And some people here (and some reviewers/"influencers") will grin and bear it. "Well, you have to compare it to the pricing of other new cards available. What are ya gonna do, just not buy a new card?"

The wild card here (and possibly the saving grace in a weird way) is the inflation and general economic turbulence leaving people with less disposable income. It might scare the hardware manufacturers off from pushing their hand. 

its crazy we have to hope inflation/recession scares manufacturers to keep prices "Normal"...

But i agree and thats how im reading into all this.  I wasn't willing to roll the dice and take that chance.  I bought my 3080 almost 2 months ago and got it for MSRP out of luck.  I don't care what the 40 series offers, it wont be enough to entice me to spend more money and im financially solid and could afford it.  a good 4k monitor is still very expensive and most people are just now stepping up to 1440p so why would I care if the new card can offer true 4k gameplay when my monitor can't display it. 

1 hour ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

its crazy we have to hope inflation/recession scares manufacturers to keep prices "Normal"...

But i agree and thats how im reading into all this.  I wasn't willing to roll the dice and take that chance.  I bought my 3080 almost 2 months ago and got it for MSRP out of luck.  I don't care what the 40 series offers, it wont be enough to entice me to spend more money and im financially solid and could afford it.  a good 4k monitor is still very expensive and most people are just now stepping up to 1440p so why would I care if the new card can offer true 4k gameplay when my monitor can't display it. 

ya im glad i went 1440p 170mhz the text is so small i have to zoom in to see it... but for some games 4k it be fine for like a shooter or something but not all games allow good adjusting of the menus size... looks at mindcraft...  

well they can always price it higher and lower it right.

people only spent that amount on gpus because of mining and could sell off to get something back but if mining is dead then who knows. i dout there that many gamers that need a 4090ti... although there are other that dont game and make renders or something with gpus and they seem to like many gpus...  but case dont reallt accommodate that market... yet

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4x series won't be as cheap as some expect (and current gen cards won't be cheaper)
There won't be as many available as there is demand, so allocation will again be an issue

The used market is likely offering good value now, comparatively. 

No one knows for sure.  If you need a graphics card buy one, and keep saving for the next one, there is always a new one coming...

I just ordered a 3080ti. It's still expensive as hell, but I'm guessing the 40 series is either going to be delayed until holiday 2023 or there's going to be availability and price gouging issues again. There's many newer games I've put off playing, at least at 4k at the settings I want, and I'm sick of waiting to upgrade. The necessary psu and case upgrade I needed also happened to be on sale so I guess that pushed me over the edge also haha. I guess I'll feel stupid if an equivalent 40 series card goes on sale for like $600 in the next couple months, but I doubt it. Until that happens I'm just going to enjoy what I have.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, thrasher_565 said:

j2cens did an update video and why he thinks you should buy now. the low down is some in side sources say 40xx is a year away that's why.

Someone is confusing "year away" with next year.  There is absolutely no way it would be delayed an actual year it would be disastrous to Nvidia.  At this point it is 99.9999999999% the 4090 will be this year, probably at least 80% for the 4080 the rest can easily be delayed 2,3,4 months.  It may be a year before we get the 4060 class though.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator