Free wire-melter with every purchase - AMD Senior VP predicts 700 watt GPUs by 2025

11 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

https://i.imgur.com/5Z8V0Fp.mp4

Probably a good description of what cooling will look like too.

But as others have said the real issue is that whilst they cna make te low end more efficent they're really struggling to top the previous generations performance at the top end without silly power budgets.

Do what Kepler did, when replacing Fermi. Not too much performance improvement, but a crap ton of efficiency gain.

elephants

13 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Do what Kepler did, when replacing Fermi. Not too much performance improvement, but a crap ton of efficiency gain.

Well, that involved moving from 40nm to 28nm, and the top end chip wasn’t even available to gamers until much later in Kepler’s life. 

We could use a repeat of Maxwell though. More efficiency and a substantial  performance bump at the same node size. 😛

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

That's a deal breaker for a lot of people including me,

I had rather ger a 160W~200W card that is cool,quiet and doesn't take more than 2 slots.

Lower power options will be available regardless. I'm pretty sure perf/W is, on average, improving with each generation. Would need a more controlled test to quantify.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, porina said:

Lower power options will be available regardless. I'm pretty sure perf/W is, on average, improving with each generation. Would need a more controlled test to quantify.

This is my thoughts. 
perf/w is still increasing gen over gen. no reason to upgrade every gen either as well. 1080s are still cards that go very strong and had no reason to be upgraded to 30 series imo.
Go oh, well 300 w already increases temps in my room to much, ill just wait a whole three years and get a 250w card that is 2x faster.

How about.... no?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

11 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Not a great time for gaming laptops I assume...

if perf/watt is still increasing, gaming laptops shouldnt care?
a 60w-100w laptop in 2023 will still be faster then a 60-100w laptop in 2022.

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

if perf/watt is still increasing, gaming laptops shouldnt care?

Depends.

Imagine you can't get a RTX 4080 in a GPU anymore, because of power constraints. Or maybe you can still get one, but now you're carrying a 350w power brick with you around to even be able to use it. Yes you could potentially scale down to a RTX 4070 or 4060, but that might not deliver the performance you like.

Of course it's going to be better than last generation, but that's the point: It's last generation. Games do not stop to develope either and next generation engines demand more power. 

My point is: If we're already mad about GPUs needing more power on desktops, then we should be even more mad about it for gaming notebooks.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Depends.

Imagine you can't get a RTX 4080 in a GPU anymore, because of power constraints. Or maybe you can still get one, but now you're carrying a 350w power brick with you around to even be able to use it. Yes you could potentially scale down to a RTX 4070 or 4060, but that might not deliver the performance you like.

Of course it's going to be better than last generation, but that's the point: It's last generation. Games do not stop to develope either and next generation engines demand more power. 

My point is: If we're already mad about GPUs needing more power on desktops, then we should be even more mad about it for gaming notebooks.

the names are fake to begin with. they straight up changed the GPU classes. xx60 used to mean sub 200. now its sub 400. Inflation was NOT 100%. There is no shame in getting a mobile version of a 4060.

Yes games dont stop developing and demanding more power, but for a laptop, dead ass, you do not see the benefits of going over 1080p. GPU rasterization performance is growing faster then engine demands are. that is WHY we see people playing 4k 120hz now. when 40k 60hz was a dream on the 10 series cards.

There was novelty gaming laptops that shoved desktop 680s into them for... reasons. Batteries and power delivery and cooling engineering has only gotten better since then.

5 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Inflation was NOT 100%

It's not only inflation. 

Increased ressource prices, chip shortages, higher wages...

Especially copper and gold have doubled in price at the beginning of 2020 till 2021.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Depends.

So is the answer to hold back the maximum performance that can be achieved on desktop simply so gaming laptops can achieve some semblance of parity?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So is the answer to hold back the maximum performance that can be achieved on desktop simply so gaming laptops can achieve some semblance of parity?

Don't let Nvidia see that... 😐

On 7/11/2022 at 3:54 PM, BachChain said:

that graphics cards will break the 700w power consumption threshold within the next couple years;

This worries me. Me and my mom's bedroom are on the same 15 amp breaker, at 120votls thats around 1800 watts peak. If the GPU is using 700 watts full boar and then you have to take in to account the rest of the system. So your going to need a 1000 watts PSU or more. Add in monitor(s) and other bullshit like Air-conditioning. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

15 amp breaker, at 120votls thats around 1800 watts peak.

That's not how breakers work. 15A breaker would hold 15A indefinitely. I would handle peaks up to 20, 25, 30 amps for a period of time, which is known as the trip curve. I know from practice European style 16A C rated breaker holds 20 amps for 15-20 minutes.

Also you guys are all drama queens. RTX 3090 is among the most power efficient cards in terms of performance/watt. It's just also pushed to the max, don't buy at top end cards if you don't want top end performance. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is just advanced marketing. Then they'll come out with some "new technology" or design that brings down the power consumption, looking to gain some market clout. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 7/11/2022 at 9:54 PM, BachChain said:

700 watts, on top of being an absurd number on its own, is notable in that it exceeds the 600w limit of the recently announced ATX 3.0 12VHPWR "High Power" connector, effectively making it outdated even before it has a chance for widespread adoption.

Does it? You can just have two connectors on the card as we do right now... or would you rather use 4 normal connectors instead?

On 7/12/2022 at 12:52 AM, Fasterthannothing said:

This is absolutely stupid we are going back technology wise.

Are we? It's not inherently a bad thing to draw more power if it results in better performance... there are practical concerns but we're starting to get past them, with the new ATX standards and better cooling.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:52 AM, Fasterthannothing said:

I honestly thought at some point we would get to 3070 performance in an Ultrabook but that's obviously not happening.

There's no reason to believe it won't, performance per watt is still increasing significantly with every generation.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Neato!
Doubles as a GPU and year round heater for the home - Talk about bang for the buck!
The next BIG thing isn't FPS from the card, it's RPM's of the power meter acheived when you bench it!
Of course if your meter is digital then you can't compete in this one - Sorry about that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Are we? It's not inherently a bad thing to draw more power if it results in better performance... there are practical concerns but we're starting to get past them, with the new ATX standards and better cooling.

It seems like any concern for power draw went away after the Nvidia GTX 10 series, while AMD's cards draw less power, anything more than midrange seems to have a 3 fan 2.5 to 3 slot cooler on it. And with cards needing large coolers I think anything larger will be too impractical, a 700W GPU would require a 1500W PSU to have enough power for the CPU and the rest of the system, so I don't see how it would be a good thing.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:01 AM, ZetZet said:

That's not how breakers work. 15A breaker would hold 15A indefinitely. I would handle peaks up to 20, 25, 30 amps for a period of time, which is known as the trip curve. I know from practice European style 16A C rated breaker holds 20 amps for 15-20 minutes.

Also you guys are all drama queens. RTX 3090 is among the most power efficient cards in terms of performance/watt. It's just also pushed to the max, don't buy at top end cards if you don't want top end performance.

While you could run a 15 amp breaker to its rating limit I don't see why you'd want to, and you'd need a window AC unit to manage the room the PC is in because a PC drawing 700W would be a space heater, even a GPU drawing 300W is enough to make a room much warmer.

And while an RTX 3090 has good performance per watt, those cards run very hot and often require VRM mods or a full waterblock to cool them.

25 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

a 700W GPU would require a 1500W PSU to have enough power for the CPU and the rest of the system

Doubtful that the rest of your system is drawing more than 500W unless you have some ultra high end system.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

46 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

While you could run a 15 amp breaker to its rating limit

Read somewhere that breakers can’t do sustained max, they are actually only rated for 80% and the max rating is more or less a peak amount it can handle. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

36 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Read somewhere that breakers can’t do sustained max, they are actually only rated for 80% and the max rating is more or less a peak amount it can handle. 

That makes sense 80% is 1500W, I've heard you can go up to 1800W watts for appliances like a water kettle but that is probably peak load.

I mean at this point it might be worth it just to have a dedicated power brick for just the GPU

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 7/14/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sauron said:

Doubtful that the rest of your system is drawing more than 500W unless you have some ultra high end system.

Transient loads my dude