How to tell if rechargeable batteries are kaput?

They're shown as fully charged by my good quality charger, but they won't make my controller turn on. Do I need to charge all of them *fully* and try a battery tester or there's a less cumbersome path? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Rechargeable, not external.

Brain fart. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

36 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Rechargeable, not external.

Brain fart. 

whats a battery? i kid test it with your tung

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Use a multimeter. Heres a video tutorial about how to test them

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Are you talking about rechargeable AA or AAA type cells (NiMH, nickel metal hydride)?

There's a possibility that the controller is (badly) designed to consider the batteries dead at 1.2V.  That's relatively pooped out for alkalines (though not completely), but is just getting started for NiMH cells (and NiCad, nickel cadmiums, as well).

If so, your cells are fine, but won't run the controller well.

Try running a set of fresh alkalines to make sure the controller works, then use a meter like in TetraSky's video to check the voltage on them once the controller quits.  If they voltage of each cell is around 1.2V or more when "empty", the controller won't like rechargeables.

I guess another relevant question is, "what model controller are we trying to push with these batteries?" I've seen a few devices that simply won't turn on if fed Ni-Cds or Ni-MHs. Beyond that, i would also consider trying those batteries in other devices, as I've seen batteries themselves do some screwy things.

Batteries that are damaged/failed can show as fully charged to a charger (or even a proper multimeter like a fluke) but are unable to deliver current. Even battery testers can show batteries as good but if you do a proper load test they fail to deliver any current.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

AA chargers have no real sense of charge capacity. They work on timers and minimal current level readings. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

If they don't hold a charge, don't power anything or if they're damaged is pretty much my rule.

I'd check them in another device if not visibly damaged. If they work, it might be your controller that's the issue. If it works in another device with reasonable life, it could be the controller, either, as another user mentioned, the voltages just aren't sitting right for the controller, or the controller is kaput.