Apple's friendly reminder that it still thinks Samsung copied the iPhone.

Summary

Apple would like to remind you that it still thinks Samsung copied the iPhone

Quotes

Some wounds never heal. Just ask Apple, the new champion of grudge holders.

As we were all celebrating the 15-year anniversary of the original iPhone, Apple took a moment during a rather extensive and fascinating interview with The Wall Street Journal’s Joanna Stern to once again call out rival Samsung for allegedly copying iPhone technology.

Apple’s current head of Marketing Greg Joswiak, an amiable guy whom I’ve had many pleasant and sometimes pointed conversations with, is one of the featured players in Stern’s video, which cleverly details the history of the iPhone through the eyes of someone who was born on the same day.

However, when she asks Joswiak about the rise of the big-screen Android phone and Samsung’s part in it, Joswiak’s smile fades and he calls it “annoying.”

My thoughts

Disclaimer: Please note: As I am as Anti-apple as it can get. My opinion might be Biased.

------

My god, why are they Digging up old bones/skeletons, Do they really think such a smear campaign will sway people to jump ship?

Not forgetting, What does Samsung allow for years that Apple doesn't allow.... I can think of 2 Major things: SIDELOADING, Heck even 3rd party payment methods are a major thing on "Samsung" aka ANDROID devices.

So in my opinion they can only start complaining when they give a update for ALL Iphones, no matter what the age, to allow sideloading and "FULL 3rd party payment methods without charging a fee" on any device, no matter its age or generation.

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-would-like-to-remind-you-that-it-still-thinks-samsung-copied-the-iphone

https://headtopics.com/uk/apple-would-like-to-remind-you-that-it-still-thinks-samsung-copied-the-iphone-27672922

https://technohoop.com/apple-would-like-to-remind-you-that-it-nonetheless-thinks-samsung-copied-the-apple-iphone/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

they should be proud it was so good that it was copied. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

30 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Not forgetting, What does Samsung allow for years that Apple doesn't allow.... I can think of 2 Major things: SIDELOADING, Heck even 3rd party payment methods are a major thing on "Samsung" aka ANDROID devices.

Another 2 things apple doesn't allow is repairing your phone without having to go to the store, and the superior USB-C port.

Also I wonder how much apple paid the WSJ lol, interesting apple is upset over having competition.

It would help if you included a bit more of the relevant quote to your headline:

Okay, I get that. Apple was on top of the world with an industry-changing device that came in exactly one flavor. There were no Pros or Maxes or screen-size variants. You got 3.5-inches and that was the end of it. Then Samsung arrives with devices like the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S4, all with screens at least an inch larger. Worse yet, their designs and icon-based home screens were a little too familiar-looking.

Yeah, I guess I’d be annoyed, too.

But Joswiak isn’t done. “They were annoying because, as you know, they ripped off our technology.” Oh, wow. So, we’re going there. Warming up to the topic, Joswiak continues, “They took the innovations that we had created and created a poor copy of it and just put a bigger screen around it. Yeah, so we were not too pleased.”

37 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

SIDELOADING

I think the vast majority of people will never need this.

37 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

3rd party payment methods

I can get behind this. Payment methods should have more freedom.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

iPhone was the inspiration of all modern smartphones. Its pretty ignorant of anyone to to dismiss that. And its okay for Apple to have an opinion about it.

Its similar to Cherry not being too pleased about their patent expiring and hence now having many different vendors for mechanical keyboards

They're not digging up old bones, its just the reality. For drawing another parallel, say you had an idea during your college and told your friend about it, only for your friend to actually commercialize it also and become your competitor. You'd be sort of annoyed about it and you have the right to be. But cant really do anything much about it 

This isnt news. The fact that this thread exists here in the "Tech news" section says a lot about other things on this forum

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Another 2 things apple doesn't allow is repairing your phone without having to go to the store, and the superior USB-C port.

For your first one they literally have a repair program where they ship you the tools and the part to repair the phone...

Apple self repair portal and guides are more extensive, detailed compared to literally all other android vendors. Plus they actually have idiot proof tools available that they ship to you at a loss so you don't mess up your device

Whether USB C is superior to Lightning as a connector to charge up your phone is debatable, because lightning is afterall a smaller connector. USB C merit is that it is open standard with open specs

Also I wonder how much apple paid the WSJ lol, interesting apple is upset over having competition.

What a random insinuation. You think Apple pays anyone to take interviews of the executives? They would just have to utter the sound "interv--" and publications would be flocking around them. 

And which company wouldn't be upset about competition? You make a product and if you end up having competition that takes away some of your potential users I guarantee you that you will be upset about it

8 minutes ago, mecarry30 said:

For your first one they literally have a repair program where they ship you the tools and the part to repair the phone...

For only the iphone 12 and SE2 or newer, I seriously doubt anyone with those needs any repairs like a battery replacement or screen.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

For only the iphone 12 and SE2 or newer, I seriously doubt anyone with those needs any repairs like a battery replacement or screen.

Given how many cracked iPhone 12s I've seen at my high school, I'd wager that a lot more of the population is careless than you might think - and I'm in Silicon Valley.

7 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple self repair portal and guides are more extensive, detailed compared to literally all other android vendors. Plus they actually have idiot proof tools available that they ship to you at a loss so you don't mess up your device

iFixit guides are a thing, and with an Android phone you don't need any special tools in a massive pellican case to replace a battery or screen.

Whether USB C is superior to Lightning as a connector to charge up your phone is debatable, because lightning is afterall a smaller connector. USB C merit is that it is open standard with open specs

The USB-C port being an open standard makes it better IMO, and the EU has agreed on it being the standard port for all phones.

What a random insinuation. You think Apple pays anyone to take interviews of the executives? They would just have to utter the sound "interv--" and publications would be flocking around them. 

And which company wouldn't be upset about competition? You make a product and if you end up having competition that takes away some of your potential users I guarantee you that you will be upset about it

I question this article because its a ridiculous non-news article only some apple sellout site would come up with, and any company should be satisfied with having competition as it pushes everyone to make the best product possible at competitive prices. For example see what Intel was selling before Ryzen, 4c/8t products from Haswell to Kaby Lake with minor improvements. But I expect a company like Apple to be upset at any competition as no competition means having a monopoly over the market and charging customers whatever they want to.

23 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

iFixit guides are a thing, and with an Android phone you don't need any special tools in a massive pellican case to replace a battery or screen.

iFixit guides also exists for iPhones and Apple products as well, if you didnt know. And you don't have to use any special tools for iPhone repairs as well. Its just an option, hence makign self repairs much more accessible to more people.

You basically discredited your own point because you stopped to think one step ahead. Dont be so hellbent on some narrative that ends up making you look a lil bit out of whack

The USB-C port being an open standard makes it better IMO, and the EU has agreed on it being the standard port for all phones.

You said USB C is superior. I asked in what way exactly? Its not superior. Its just more convenient and more common. If Apple was not involved in development of USB C and if they decided to open up lightning and added more features (which they really can if they want to) then we would had two real contenders, as the physical dimensions and reversibility wise, both are pretty much the same

I question this article because its a ridiculous non-news article only some apple sellout site would come up with, and any company should be satisfied with having competition as it pushes everyone to make the best product possible at competitive prices. For example see what Intel was selling before Ryzen, 4c/8t products from Haswell to Kaby Lake with minor improvements. But I expect a company like Apple to be upset at any competition as no competition means having a monopoly over the market and charging customers whatever they want to.

And who posted this news here? WSJ did an interview with Apple for 15th year iPhone anniversary and this was just a small part of it. Its the forum user and some publications that decided that this small statement was "news"

Are you so naïve that you seriously think companies are happy about competition? Do you really think Intel is happy about AMD and Apple entering the CPU race, when they basically enjoyed the last decade chilling on the beach for doing nothing. Man, you sound like a kid who doesn't really understand anything about the world.

Competition is a good thing for consumers, not for companies, seeking to make profit. And if I'm being honest, I find Apple one of the very few companies who actually keep innovating even if they don't have a real competition. Just look how far ahead Apple Watch and iPads are despite effectively having no competition.

Just as you don't for iPhones, no matter how often you repeat this utter horsecrap. Not to mention the very poor to impossible screen repairability of some recent Android flagships.

It's so nice for Apple after all these years still give Samsung the credit. After all Steve Jobs did like Picasso and with this hint everyone hopefully knows what quote I am pointing at.

/s

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

iPhone was the inspiration of all modern smartphones

I don't think that's entirely accurate.  It popularized  the smartphone but the inspiration was decades in the making. 

3 hours ago, Heliian said:

I don't think that's entirely accurate.  It popularized  the smartphone but the inspiration was decades in the making. 

By smartphone I meant modern smartphone design. Have you seen the phones before iPhones and after iPhones. Apple basically made all touch screen, multitouch devices a thing. Initially people were like eww, it doesnt have any physical buttons but look where we are now

-> Moved to General Discussion

The original article here would be the interview done with WSJ, TechRadar article is discussion piece, not news article. The two other links you have are either just redirects (HeadTopics) or almost full plagiarised version of TR article without actually referencing it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

By smartphone I meant modern smartphone design. Have you seen the phones before iPhones and after iPhones. Apple basically made all touch screen, multitouch devices a thing. Initially people were like eww, it doesnt have any physical buttons but look where we are now

which again, means they popularized them, the LG prada was out before the first iphone and was all touchscreen.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

iFixit guides also exists for iPhones and Apple products as well, if you didnt know. And you don't have to use any special tools for iPhone repairs as well. Its just an option, hence makign self repairs much more accessible to more people.

You basically discredited your own point because you stopped to think one step ahead. Dont be so hellbent on some narrative that ends up making you look a lil bit out of whack

Those iFixit guides don't really mean anything when you can't get replacement parts that work in a newer iphone without going into an apple store, parts are serialized and replacing your own parts voids the warranty. Apple wants you to rent a bunch of special tools, making DIY repair look difficult so you'll go into the apple store instead.

Also not sure wtf you mean by that last part, you're so biased towards only seeing the positive spin on apple's marketing you can't see what apple is really trying to do which is getting ahead of right to repair so legislation doesn't get passed.

You said USB C is superior. I asked in what way exactly? Its not superior. Its just more convenient and more common. If Apple was not involved in development of USB C and if they decided to open up lightning and added more features (which they really can if they want to) then we would had two real contenders, as the physical dimensions and reversibility wise, both are pretty much the same

You just admitted USB-C is superior in plenty of ways, a more convenient and common port is much better from a consumer standpoint.

And who posted this news here? WSJ did an interview with Apple for 15th year iPhone anniversary and this was just a small part of it. Its the forum user and some publications that decided that this small statement was "news"

Are you so naïve that you seriously think companies are happy about competition? Do you really think Intel is happy about AMD and Apple entering the CPU race, when they basically enjoyed the last decade chilling on the beach for doing nothing. Man, you sound like a kid who doesn't really understand anything about the world.

Competition is a good thing for consumers, not for companies, seeking to make profit. And if I'm being honest, I find Apple one of the very few companies who actually keep innovating even if they don't have a real competition. Just look how far ahead Apple Watch and iPads are despite effectively having no competition.

This article isn't tech news, seeing as it got moved from tech news, and its clearly some silly marketing crap which includes it making sound as if a multi-trillion dollar company struggled by having some competition.

And I don't give a crap if a company is upset by having competition, I'm not a shareholder in any tech company and as a consumer I want companies to compete so no one has a monopoly.

Also the apple watch and ipad are some interesting examples, apple didn't invent the smart watch or tablet, they sell so well because apple forces their users into a walled garden ecosystem so only apple products work well with other apple products.

11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

iPhone was the inspiration of all modern smartphones. Its pretty ignorant of anyone to to dismiss that. And its okay for Apple to have an opinion about it.

Apple didn't invent the smartphone, by definition a smartphone is a cellular device which also functions as a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone